Hammer 22-Nov-14
scndwfstlhntng 23-Nov-14
dave kaden 24-Nov-14
Jaquomo 24-Nov-14
Jaquomo 24-Nov-14
Jaquomo 24-Nov-14
Jaquomo 24-Nov-14
21-Nov-14
This is an offshoot of my scent stories thread...

I sometimes can rattle deer in during various times during the season. Sometimes it works like a charm and other times it doesn't. After 25 years I still hit and miss when it will work well and the timing of it and how I should do it. I have a family member who is a rattling master and seems to have great success with it compared to most hunters I know. Seems some are just wayyyy better at it than others.

Share some stories if you will about the bucks you have rattled in over the years and how you did it. Were you using a sparring sound or hard core rattling. what were you using for the rattling etc?

If using bait /feed please refrain from sharing unless you are sure the rattling is what brought the buck in. like the scent stories thread i have seen some think the rattling is what brought the deer in but the same buck that was harvested that day had been on the bait pile 30 times prior to that event.

It will be great to read the differing thought and techniques used and when and where

21-Nov-14
I have a feeling this will be long, but here goes. The very first time I rattled, which was back in '96 I called in a 123" 8 pointer. He was the first buck I harvested that wasn't a yearling, and still one of my best mounts because Klaus Lebrecht did the taxidermy work.

The following year from that same area, but from the woods on the other side of a narrow corn field I rattled in 130"-140" ten pointer. My first arrow deflected off a branch and he started walking on my second attempt at 30 yards so I hit him in the rear leg.

The next year the field was beans and I didn't hunt there during what I consider the best time to rattle, but I rattled another area that wasn't as good and only called in a yearling.

I went several years without rattling. It wasn't that I wasn't confident, because both those first two years was either the first or second time I rattled that season. But I started hunting staging areas or travel corridors and not places I would consider rattle freindly. I'm hunting a different area all together now, but still on public land, and the last two years I have rattled/decoyed in deer every time out. Last year twice, and on both nights a buck and doe came out and I shot the buck on the second night. This year twice, the evening a fawn/doe came in the and following morning two yearling bucks.

These were all October hunts. But ten years ago I did rattle on the 10th or 12th of November and I called in heavy 8 pointer from the river bottoms, but he came up the other side of the ravine from me and there was no clear shot, but he was also just out of range.

I read two things back in the day about rattling that made sense to me and what I take into consideration. First, when bucks first start scraping that's the time to rattle. This does two things, it gets you in the area where bucks are nearby and it lets you know bucks are in the mood. The second is intensity. This article was in a Deer and Deer Hunting magazine where they did studies on bucks responding to rattling. The two things they noted was how loud and intense the rattling was that brought in more deer. I never start soft, nor have I ever done light sparring.

So in a nutshell, I like to rattle from about October 19th through Halloween weekend. The 19th is when I rattled in that first buck, so it's kind of my gauge. I typically rattle in evenings because I want to get bucks on their feet earlier and provide a place to go. And I typically do 3 rattling sequences about 30 minute apart with the last one finishing a half hour before sunset. I don't the buck showing up at last light. But I also like to rattle near cornfield edges with the wind blowing towards the cornfield. If I'm high enough my scent blows over the top. The bucks feel comfortable travelling along cornfield edges, because the corn is their safety. Also, this keeps them from coming through the woods and you should have plenty of shooting lanes to the corn, which was my mistake on that second buck I rattled in. That big 8 I pulled up from the river bottoms I was not near cover, he stood out 50-60 yards from me, didn't see any deer and continued on. He came in 20 minute after I rattled, but he had ran up the hill so I don't know how far I pulled him, but he was in line with me. He knew exactly where that sound came from. You need some form of barrier to keep them from holding up, but a pond or river won't do because they can still scan the area from a distance. Corn is best, they don't know if the deer are in the corn or not.

I generally don't rattle in November because the bucks are searching for does and I don't want to keep them from coming through. But I can see where rattling works, just like on that big 8, when one that is between does hears you. Also, November just has too many variables with the peak of the rut approaching. Most guys can't tell you whent it came or if it's still going on. Some places are hot and some are not. Also, most of the corn is picked by then too.

More on tequnique when I get back from the woods...

21-Nov-14
Cool. Look forward to it. Love hunting stories on stuff like this

21-Nov-14
I shot my biggest buck to date this year on Nov. 5th and he came to rattling!! I am also a firm believer that any type of calling should be used as a last resort effort. So the story is I was sitting on a ridge finger that lead up to a large ridge top and down to a creek bottom. The finger was destroyed with big buck rubs and scrapes. The ridge top was a mixture of a thicket in a funnel and hard woods. At around 6:30 am I had already seen a lone doe. and looking up at the ridge top saw movement. I glassed the top and saw a nice 10 pt at about 80 yds. I knew exactly what he was going to do. He was alone so I knew he would curse the top looking for does. He had no interest in coming my way. I started by letting out a few grunts and he pain no attention. I grabbed the horns and did a short 10 second sequence and he kept going. I let out a snort wheeze and another grunt and saw through my binos that he had now taken an aggressive posture but kept walking further away. He soon got out of sight in a thicket. After about 2 minutes of not seeing the buck I grabbed the horns again thinking he looked like he wanted to fight and he has to be around yet, so I did another short sequence. I saw movement where I had last seen him and Through the binos up. It was a small 4 pt. But, as I was glassing him the 10 pt cut in front of him coming down the ridge top right for me. I grabbed my bow . I knew it would be a close shot. There was not much tho in between where the deer was walking and my stand. I knew drawing would be risky. He was walking right for me and closing fast. I finally drew at 8 yds and shot at 5 yds killing the buck. It is insane how those deer know exactly were a certain noise came from, especially from a ways off. I think a huge problem as to why people don't have deer respond to calling is overuse. TV shows have just blown calling up advertising sponsor products. Any was my buck gross scored 143 and couldn't have asked for a better more exciting hunt.

21-Nov-14
It was an extremely cold morning for Alabama as a heavy frost was on the ground and with every breath the intense fog blurred my vision. As I settled into my stand with high expectations of seeing the massive buck that must have torn up all the trees in this area, thoughts of rattling came to mind. I quickly surveyed the situation to make sure I was fully prepared for this highly anticipated endeavor. I slowly reached for the Horns. When I busted them together with all my vigorous might and broke the dead silence, I even scared myself. After a short rattling sequence I immediately hear a crashing of hooves coming in fast. As I frantically grabbed for my bow I almost didn't get it before the buck was standing just ten feet from the base of my tree. I noticed It was a spike! Bummer!

21-Nov-14
I rattled in the buck I shot this year. I have never had success rattling with a bag. On Labor day weekend this year we moved everything out of our camp in northern Vt because my parents are tearing it down to build their future home. As I was cleaning out I came across one of my grandfathers little Vt 4 point antlers. I immediately thought, this would be a great rattling set. I cut them off and tied a rope to them and in the tote they went. I always wanted a real set but never wanted to sacrifice a buck tag on a small set of rattling antlers.

Well fast forward to the first week of Nov in ohio. I know you guys dont think you should rattle or call unless you see a buck, but I had tons of success rattling and grunting blind. First morning a rattled in a really nice buck but he caught a does scent that came by earlier and he headed in the other direction. At noon i decided to move to a lower tree where alot of bucks cruise through to scent check a thicket. Got set up and decided to rest my eyes real quick. I stood up at 1:55 and started a rattling and grunting sequence. Within a minute of stopping here comes a nice 8 pt. walks in and turns broadside at 23 yards. I made a great shot he only went 30 yards. I looked at my watch and it was 1:59. It all happened real quick!

Throughout the rest of the week i rattled in alot of bucks. One that made me really wish I still had a tag. Im not sure if it was luck on not. I will know better after another year. But I do honestly believe that real antlers are the only way to go when rattling.

21-Nov-14
I've rattled in all my bucks with the Primos ones. They have the perfect pitch IMO. You also want to find the sweet spot so when you slam them together as loud as you can, they meet at base of the tines. You also have to bring them together at the right angle. If you ever watched Roger Raglin rattle, don't do what he does. He's a spazz when it comes to rattling. I bash them together as loud as I can, the pause several seconds, then I shift them around, and pause again. I may wait 15-20 seconds, then I bash them together. The intensity is what brings the deer in. You do 2-3 sequences like within hearing distance of a buck during the last 2 weeks of October and there is a good chance he'll come in. But again, its all about the setup.

21-Nov-14
Klaus does great work!

21-Nov-14

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
I rattle lots of bucks in - both whitetails and muleys. I blind rattle all the time without seeing the buck first. I've tried all sorts of synthetics, bags, boxes, rollers, but the best luck comes with a pair of 140-class antlers from my late father's first buck.

Last year I rattled six bucks into stickbow range in a 30 minute period one morning, four of them P&Y class. I rattle like two bucks trying to kill each other, stomping my feet and grunting throughout. I do two or three sequences of one minute each, about five minutes apart. Then if I don't see a buck I tickle the tips together, then sometimes rattle hard again. Sometimes they run in, sometimes they sneak in. Sometimes they pay no attention. I've had whitetails coming form one direction and muleys coming from the other.

Best story ever was from one of my Bowsite live hunts, when I rattled-in 22 does and four bucks from 200 yards away. They came on a run and some stopped at five yards. Here's a photo from that sequence. I didn't shoot that buck - no way I could draw on the ground where I was hiding with so many that close. But I ended up shooting another one just as big that I called and decoyed in.

21-Nov-14
Awesome stories

21-Nov-14
Nice pic lou.

22-Nov-14
My third year of bow hunting I decided to try rattling. It was the end of October. (Chase phase) I did a short sequence and waited 15 minutes. Just as I smacked the antlers together for the second sequence, I looked over my shoulder. Well, I learned a lesson. Always look before rattling! Here was a 12 point headed my way but when he heard the sound in the open woods, he locked up like a bird dog on point! He was 35 yards away and behind a tree with no shot. After what seemed like an eternity, he ran away.

If I had looked first, he would have been 25 yards broadside. Later I was able to see a picture of that deer. A 10pt with 2 stickers off his G2's about 150".

I also like to attach my antlers to my pull-up rope. Then I "jig" the rope, kicking up dirt, leaves, hitting the tree...

22-Nov-14
Years ago I first tried rattling with antlers from an earlier buck I killed. I had them tied together and they were dangling from my pack as I climbed my tree. I did not think anything of them cracking together making a bunch of noise, as I'm climbing. All of a sudden, I hear here this loud crashing behind me coming up fast...I look down over my shoulder from about half way up to my stand and here is this big buck,right under me thrashing around, snorting, frothing and stomping throwing his head side to side looking for a fight. All I could do was stay still and watch him stomp away. I keep my rattling antlers still until I'm ready now.

22-Nov-14
I've rattled in and killed three bucks. All in October and each one came running either while I was rattling or right after I stopped. Exciting stuff.

22-Nov-14

ahunter55's embedded Photo
I started rattling back in early 70s & still do. I've rattled in 4 this year & this year all the 1st week of Nov.. Rattled when I did NOT see any Deer in sight. I have had success from last week of Oct. till mid Nov.. This year was 2 nice 8s & one close enough to take a shot, a forky that defiantly could have been killed & a shooter for me that I did NOT seal the deal on. I've even had Does come to the rattle. IF a deer shows up within 5 min. I figure I did it. When I rattle I put my horns up and get ready with Bow in hand as I have learned you need to be ready.

22-Nov-14

this is an 8 lip curling over my scent rag at 15 yds that got a pass

22-Nov-14

I shot this guy a few years back at 10 yds. right at my tree (I was 8' up only). I rattled & barely hung my horns when he trotted right to my tree.

22-Nov-14
I have had mixed results with rattling. For the last 2 years I have used real antlers and had zero for results.

In 2010 it was Halloween morning. I rattled in 2 - 2 1/2 year old 8 points and 3 - 1 1/2 year olds in one morning. That was using a rattle bag.

12 days later I climb into a stand a mile from where I rattled in all the bucks. As I am climbing into the stan a buck shows up at 10 yards. He catches me moving in the stand and runs off. Well I wait for good shooting light and I decide to rattle. Here comes the biggest buck I would have ever shot at down the edge of the field. At 30 yards he catch's me drawing. It turns around and runs back the way he came. At 100 yards I grunt to him. I get him to stop and turn around and come back to the tree. I shoot him at 40 yards. My shot looked like it was back. Maybe liver area. The deer runs off a 100 yards. Then walks off. He is in the middle of a 240 acre cut bean field. So I climb down follow him by staying in the tree line. When he makes it to the road ol lady Peterson is going to work for the morning. He freak's out and runs across the road and into the neighbors woods. 5 hours later I get permission to go in and look for him. There was great blood in the field where I shot him but by the time he covered the mile to the woods he went into there was no sign of blood. My uncle and I spent 3 hours looking for him walked every square foot of them woods and zero sign of him. No blood and no deer. I don't know if he went south onto another neighbors property or crossed the river or what he did. We could not find him. Still to this day it bugs me that if I had only been 6" forward the outcome would have been better. Bad shot on my part in a very exciting encounter.

In 2011 I look across the field one morning and I see a buck go into the woods on the other side. I tried grunting at him but I don't think he heard me. Well about 10 minutes later he comes out again. I try grunting at him and he still don't hear me. So I grab the rattle bag. I do a loud sequence. He hears it. While he is walking across the field another buck comes out half way from me to the 1st buck. These 2 bucks get into a big fight. A mere 100 yards from me. When the fight was over the loser who was the 1st buck I seen walks into 30 yards and I shoot him. He goes down 100 yards from the tree.

Well its a couple days later. I got my 2nd buck tag in my pocket. Its rainy drizzly out so I am on the opposite side of the field in a blind. It gets to be about 9 so I think why not rattle. I rattle and here comes the winner of the fight out from the trees I seen the buck come out of that I shot days before that. He walks into 30 yards and I shoot him. 70 yards later he crashes in the woods.

22-Nov-14
Thanks for sharing guys.

23-Nov-14
I bought and have carried in a big ole plastic set of fake antlers for something like 20 years. I take them out once a year and try try try. NOTHING.. NOTHING AT ALL. I think that they are going in the garbage can this year to find room for something else useless.

Seriously.

24-Nov-14
I learned to rattle in 70s, in the brush country of south tx where it originated. I used to live in a tx county with no deer season and lots of big bucks, so I hunted them rattling with camera, and learned a lot.all those photos are 35 mm and packed up. I have continued to rattle in all parts of US with variable results. First buck /doe ratio and number of mature bucks affects sucess. I have had more luck with heavy sheds and I too kick the ground and hit brush when rattling. Older bucks come in slower but not always. I tried Primos plastic rack/roll this year with no success but it sounds better than a bag. Old horns get a flat sound that does not work as well as newer horns.Seems they are best if dense and have a sharp crack and a bit of "ring" to them. My buddy rattled and took a 170 typ WT this year in Kansas using the aggressive ground pounding style I taught him . it is sort of like fishing for a big bass, you have to keep casting in good spots.

24-Nov-14
I never had any luck with the synthetic antlers. Real ones work. One thing that helps is to hold them lightly in your hands while rattling. Much more of a "live" sound.

24-Nov-14
I never had any luck with the synthetic antlers. Real ones work. One thing that helps is to hold them lightly in your hands while rattling. Much more of a "live" sound.

24-Nov-14

24-Nov-14

• Sitka Gear