Fisher 28-Nov-14
qdm 29-Nov-14
Whip 30-Nov-14
nutritionist 19-Dec-14
flyingbrass 19-Dec-14
CAS_HNTR 19-Dec-14
Herdbull 21-Dec-14
21-Nov-14
want to add some apple trees to my food plot in northeast P.a wondering if anyone has any advice on what kind of trees? i'm ordering mature trees that fruit the following year.

21-Nov-14
Not knowing your soil type to help with rootstock.....heavy clay, sand, etc

I would advise you look into disease resistant varities, namely:

Liberty Enterprise Goldrush Freedom

I woulnd't dismiss pears and crabapples either....they offer good fruiting capability and disease resistance.

21-Nov-14
I had hunted a property that had 27 trees on it of different varieties and was amazed how the deer would go from tree to tree picking different kinds but had their favorites, just like us. I would get several different kinds.

21-Nov-14
I like crab easy to grow

24-Nov-14
http://www.wolfraths.com/garden-center/item/10-fruit-trees-seedlings-transplants

25-Nov-14
you can use any, deer wont care, mine are mixed and they dont seem to prefer , I think they like the pears more though

25-Nov-14
richt1945,, you have a pm

25-Nov-14
plant pears, don't plant apples. pears mature during hunting season. apples are rotten by then. plant different types of pears so they ripen at different times

28-Nov-14
I have 400 apple trees. Here are my tips.

Contact a good nursery. Ask for help selecting root stock for your area in dwarf size or no larger than semi dwarf. Get help selecting hardy varieties that will cross pollinate each other and ripen at different times. They can help you with crab apples that are strong pollinators.

Pears are great too. I have seen deer totally focus on a lone pear tree that was dropping fruit.

I have also watched deer eat so many apples that they cannot eat one more, then stand there and belch.

Then get yourself some beehives.

Have fun.

29-Nov-14
You don't want all your trees droping fruit at the same time.I live in wis. and have trees droping in aug. and some still holding fruit in Jan.If you get a varity you will have fruit all fall. Pears are also very good.The key with deer is always varity.

30-Nov-14
What qdm said. Varieties that drop at different times is the secret to keep them coming to the trees all season long.

19-Dec-14
http://www.wolfraths.com/garden-center/item/10-fruit-trees-seedlings-transplants

19-Dec-14
pears! apples fall in the summer and won't help you shoot a deer in the fall much.

19-Dec-14
^^^^^ this isn't true of all apples and some varieties will hold on for a LONG time.

21-Dec-14
I like the Arkansas Black apples because they hold fruit into November. Others varieties may drop during summer or early fall where they get eaten prior to season. mike

• Sitka Gear