Bou'bound 24-Nov-14
kota-man 24-Nov-14
idacurt 24-Nov-14
Buffalo 24-Nov-14
Ace of Spades 24-Nov-14
mn_archer 24-Nov-14
Bou'bound 25-Nov-14
21-Nov-14
Todd @ KUIU is my new hero in life!! After most of us crashed their system trying to take advantage of the 25% off, I called in to see what I could do to get my stuff.

Todd answers and was a ROCKSTAR!! I got all of my items and saved on shipping.

Jason, give that man a raise. Just another reason for me to heart some KUIU!!

21-Nov-14
Sitka!!

21-Nov-14
I ordered some gaiters after the reviews I read here.

21-Nov-14
Nice to hear... I have some of their stuff on my radar and comments like this increase my interest.

21-Nov-14
I ordered a super down vest, hat, beanie, and guide gloves.... I want to get guide pants and jacket eventually but no rush since they're backordered. These will be my first Kuiu products, hope I was correct with sizing.

Josh

21-Nov-14
I ordered a SD jacket, Merino bottoms, and the bino harness. Looking forward to adding to my Kuiu collection!

21-Nov-14
I've been trying to call them all day....keep getting the busy signal. I have a Chugach set, tiburon shorts and super down pants on my radar.

21-Nov-14
I talked to Todd when I ordered my pack, nice guy!

Josh, their size chart is pretty accurate.

21-Nov-14
Ultra pack and some extras.

21-Nov-14
I can't imagine how much stuff they sold today.

21-Nov-14
I have to admit, I broke down and visited their store in person and dropped a pile of cash.

Their attack pant... most comfortable trousers I've ever worn. I could literally wear these every day.

21-Nov-14
Hollywood, I picked up a pair in dark grey(?) just to travel with on hunts. Hate taking anything that can't do double duty. Jeans are uncomfortable after about the 2nd hour on the plane.... They don't look bad going out to eat or anything either.

Don't even make my butt look big.....

Soon as I find out where Coach hid the magic card I'm looking at the gaiters as well..... I'm thinkin' the bird dogs can be bribed to show me when she's gone..... they're so easy....

21-Nov-14
Hollywood when did you stop by. Who helped you. Such a good company. Great employees. I was helped by a young women I beliebe her name was tiffany. Super nice not pushy and knew everything there was about the kuiu products. And if for some reason she didn't know something she found out quickly. I will be only buying kuiu from here on out.

21-Nov-14
I seem to have kissed the sale as most is back ordered..

21-Nov-14
I seem to have missed the sale as most is back ordered..

21-Nov-14
Icon Pro for me,thanks KUIU!

21-Nov-14
I tried this morning and couldn't get anything. Yukon, Chugach and gloves all backordered so no dice. Disappointing.

22-Nov-14
Sales are pretty much for two purposes.

1)to get you in the door and sell you other items at the same time that aren't on sale. Think Walmart.

2) move merchandise that hasn't sold for whatever reason. Many reasons why it needs to move, but it was decided these things have to move. Many times items in odd sizes.

22-Nov-14
Okay but what's your point? Are you not a fan of kuiu. There are many other great companies out there. And I do believe there are more than a couple reasons to have a sale. Godbless E2R

22-Nov-14
Early,

I was in about 10 days ago. I met Tyffany, Dallas and Regina.

Dallas helped me out with the gear and he was awesome. I recognized him from the trade-show circuit.

Regina heads up the guide/outfitter program so we laid out the groundwork for all my future "business" purchases.

It was good to put faces with names.

22-Nov-14
It is one thing for a company that has rare out of stocks to exclude out of stocks...........doing so really won't impact many of the sale shoppers, but KUIU is normally out of stock on a significant portion of their line so excluding the discount under that scenario really does impact a big population of customers and products and makes the offer far less appealing than it would otherwise be. I have found the service to be very good, but as I posted on the mysteriousoy locked thread earlier I really think their model is to run way to close inventories so as to eliminate obsolescence which allows them to keep the costs at the level they are. Not a bad problem customers can plan for it, but it makes the sale thing material.

For example, I spent $2000 on 10 pieces with an order placed in August. Half of the items were not available at that time and I just got the last of the 10 pieces last week, nearly three months later.

I can only imagine what low percent of desired items will actually be available when the sale hits or shortly thereafter.

22-Nov-14
Great people and outstanding products, but very tight or nonexistent inventories a lot of the time. That can be a bummer when you're ready to spend. Bottom line for me has been...if I know I want something...get it when it's there and available. Otherwise I wait and hope. It helps to know that (my opinion) KUIU is 100% or better the quality of other tech gear, and is priced significantly lower every day of the year. A sale is great, but obviously (to me) limited to what's on hand. Their customer service has been outstanding for me.

22-Nov-14
I ordered the super down vest yesterday online and it showed up as in stock. There was a note in the email receipt saying to expect up to 3 extra days processing because they are so busy. That's fine but if it isn't here in 7-10 days, I'll be very disappointed in their customer service/inventory control. I have multiple vests but I'm interested to see how well this one performs. If it's as lightweight and warm as what I read, I'll be back for more stuff for next year. I haven't been out since I shot my best buck to date on 10/26, but I have two doe tags I plan to fill in the coming weeks.

22-Nov-14
I tried to order some items online yesterday but could never get the order to go through. I called a pile of times before I finally got thru.

Spoke with a guy named Blaise. He said that we crashed the website & that he couldn't tell for sure what they had in stock. He wrote my order down & that when they got things up & running again, he would call me back to confirm my order.

I ordered the Icon 5200 pack, a base layer shirt, a hat & Chugach rain gear. He assured me the pack would be no problem but the rest of it he would have to check on.

It took him a while, but he did call me back & told me the pack was no longer in stock but since I had called early & that he told me the item was in stock at that time, they would honor the price on it. It just might take a little extra time to get, which is fine. Also got the hat & the base layer shirt but no such luck on the rain gear though.

He wasn't one of their regular customer service reps, but he bent over backwards any way he could to try & help me. Their customer service has always been excellent every time that I have dealt with them. Items being out of stock pretty regularly is a little irritating sometimes, but for quality stuff I guess I just need to plan a little farther ahead.

22-Nov-14
Here's the way it works for me: They announce a new product, if I like it, I pre-order it. When stock is in they send it to me. I've never NOT got what I wanted and have always had great service. I reserve the sales for things I want duplicates of or things I really don't need, but wouldn't mind having.

If you haven't figured it out already, KUIU is not your "cookie cutter" retailer. They are a small "cottage" type business that caters to mountain hunters. Jason told me himself in their first quarter of business, they sold two years worth of inventory. They've hardly been able to keep caught up since. What a great problem to have.

They have some "quirky" policies but as long as you know what they are up front, so be it. KUIU is a different business model than what we are all used to. Once you "get it", they aren't so bad...

22-Nov-14
Glad that some of you had great experiences with this Kuiu sale

Mine was extremely poor - got on their site at exactly 08:00 PST on the opening day of the sale - about 15 min later I had everything I wanted in my cart and checked out to the point of just needing to hit the submit order button. Clicked on that and received an error message. Spent the next hour trying to successfully get through the online ordering process -- everything I wanted still showed as in-stock, but still could not execute the order. Then the entire site began to crash.

I called customer service at least 20 x times before finally getting through. Then I spoke with someone (think his name was either Josh or Todd -- didn't write it down) who "rocketed" me through taking my order and cc information via phone, and said that they would call and confirm before COB that my order went through. I received no call, email or any other confirmation, and there is no pending charge on my credit card. So, as far as I can tell that order did not go through.

Still wanted the items that I placed the now apparently "non-existant" phone order, so I went online this morning and ordered all of my desired items that were still in stock as an online order. However, now the XXL Gunmetal Superdown Pants, and XXL 125 Merino SS Shirts that were in stock at the time of my phone order that may or may not have gone through, so I did not include them in my online order. I would not have placed this online order if I could have confirmed my phone order, but the sale ends on Sunday and items are quickly going out of stock -- called at least 10 times on Friday afternoon but could not get through.

So, now I do not know if I have duplicate orders, what went through and what did not. Will have to call Kuiu when customer service is once again open on Monday and try to sort this out.

Jason, if you are monitoring I'm asking that you honor the 25% discount on the XXL Gunmetal Superdown Pants, and XXL 125 Brown Merino SS that I phone ordered while they were in stock. If that order did not go through it was because Kuiu failed to execute.

For the record, my previous experiences with Kuiu have all been very positive. Love their gear and their customer service folks have always previously been courteous and helpful. So far, this experience has been legendary for all the wrong reasons.

Just a suggestion -- it would probably help if your IT folks turn off the numerous pop-ups in anticipation of a heavy bandwidth web-event.

22-Nov-14
I've had really good luck with Kuiu,orders usually arrive within two days from ordering and I haven't had a problem when I needed to return things. Yes it's frustrating at times when items are backordered but I believe that's a function of a small company growing at a crazy rate and not being able to keep up. Jason started Sitka so I have faith that he has the ability to fix these issues in the future. It's great we even have a company like Kuiu that offers the products they do.

22-Nov-14
Tim from Kuiu Customer Service called me back this morning and we worked everything out. Will now receive my entire order at the 25% discount + free shipping.

Thank you Jason and the Kuiu Team for restoring my faith.

Keep up the good work!!!

22-Nov-14
No problems placing my order On line of several items I've been thinking about for the past few months.

Used my prev purchase in AK last Sept and NY a couple weeks ago for deer. No issues and blood washed out of my Guide pants completely.

Have next yrs sale marked and thinking about that order now. Down vest and pack?

22-Nov-14
Spiral Horn,Glad to hear that!

22-Nov-14
My experience is they don't charge the card till right when the item ships. My back-orders and pre-orders and such were like that. Might have taken a month or two but the card wasn't charged until it shipped.

Usually spend a couple months to a couple years researching equipment I want to buy and finding the best way to get it. I don't mind spending money but I want the best I can find. Sometimes that isn't buying the most expensive, but almost never works out to be the cheapest.

When I decide to buy I'm in no rush. In fact I'd say half my KUIU and First Lite stuff is off ebay. It may take months to find the right item for the price I want. Back-orders usually aren't a problem.

22-Nov-14
It never amazes me how much adults like to whine about petty things! Kuiu is small business and they keep a tight inventory. If you watch any of the videos they have online, notice their shop is really not very big. Considering how much effort they put into keeping costs down and producing good products, waiting for a backorder should not be that big of a deal. Plan ahead if you need gear! This isn't BPS or Cabelas we're talking about here...

22-Nov-14
Glad that Kuiu doesn't view these customer issues as petty. Knowing there were issues, their staff is there on Saturday, burning the weekend before Thanksgiving to ensure that all orders are made right.

That's the kind of drive it takes to succeed and grow in high end outdoor gear, running a flyshop, hunting or fishing outfitter, an engineering firm, or any other business.

22-Nov-14
Kuiu.

22-Nov-14
I just ran a test and 11 of 11 large size items were back ordered. If I got fat and went to 3xl I could get some stuff at sales price.

22-Nov-14
Heheheh.... bird dogs ratted out where the card was for less than I thought....

Gaitors appear to be in stock. Have a Yukon jacket already, hoping the gaitors will get me by in most cases and won't need the full rain pants. Have day one fleece gaitors, very quiet but once they get wet they are heavy and take some time to dry out, pick up burrs pretty bad too.

Added a new belt as well....

Email said good to go..... but when they come in I have to wrap them and put em under the tree.... from Santa.....

Who knew Santa was a bowhunter???

22-Nov-14
My experience was poor. I got online Friday put all my items in the cart and everything but the hat was back ordered and full price. I tried to call but could not get thru. I got all excited for nothing. I will find somewhere else to buy my stuff. I don't mind waiting for back orders but waiting and paying full price when you think your going to get a deal really pissed me off.

23-Nov-14
Great gear

I have found customer service to be very solid and personable

Great company over all

The policy on this promo is really mickey mouse though

I was not going to buy anything as I had done it already over the past 90 days and that's fine. Any I don't even mind back-orders when you know up front that is part of the game, it still fits your schedule AND YOU CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY, and there is no charge on your credit card until the product comes in...................

but the concept of no disount on back-orders when backorders are an integrtal part of your business model for economic purposes is b-o-g-u-s.

ON THE POSITIVE SIDE ANYONE WANTING THE CERAMIC MUG WITH THE LOGO ON IT IT IS IN STOCK AND READY FOR SHIPPING

23-Nov-14
They have excellent CS and products

23-Nov-14
I agree with bou.....

I was going to buy gear this past summer to try it out. Nothing I needed in stock, so I went another route. After years of this, I come to the conclusion it's just a way to keep prices sky high. The whole supply and demand concept, but I feel it's intentional.

Would love to try the gear, but think it's a scam.

23-Nov-14
Well they have good, expensive stuff, and they can be helpful, most of the time. It just seems that their company, or the business model they use, is "erratic" or "uneven" - meaning, you can never really depend, or rely on them or the merchandise being in stock (and the correct sizing) when you need it.

Maybe it's growing pains, being a small company, or just the way they do things. I'll continue to look, but as the rest of the industry catches up (Cabelas now has many of the same type of technical clothing), it might just be easier, and more reliable to shop elsewhere.

23-Nov-14
the Cabelas technical clothing is not even CLOSE to KUIU or Sitka in terms of materials and quality.

23-Nov-14
Wilhille, "I was going to buy gear this past summer to try it out. Nothing I needed in stock, so I went another route. After years of this, I come to the conclusion it's just a way to keep prices sky high. The whole supply and demand concept, but I feel it's intentional."

I disagree! Have you compared Kuiu's prices to Sitka or first lite? Kuiu beats their prices on just about if not everything,what other brand did you buy instead? What products did you try to buy that were out of stock for a entire year?

Is it frustrating? yes but I really doubt Jason's business model is to piss customers off,my guess is that he can't keep up with demand,I'm sure that's going to change.

Go ahead and shop at Cabela's,I highly doubt they will ever come up with anything innovative like Kuiu all they will do is offer cheap knockoffs. If Jason built Sitka into the monster it is in under 10yrs what makes people think he won't do the same with KUIU?

23-Nov-14
Kota-man I didn't say "Cabelas brand", I said "….Cabelas has technical clothing" they stock SITKA, and they actually have it in stock, all the time!

They (Cabelas) also have new line-up called "Instinct" which I can't comment on since I don't own any of it.

Kuiu fans should continue to buy it, people who have been disappointed will look elsewhere - that's how the market works. I wish the company well, I also wish they would have merchandise in stock, ready to ship, when it's ordered.

23-Nov-14
I was commenting on the Instinct line...Cheap knock off priced close to KUIU.

23-Nov-14
WRT business there is only two reasons to have a sale.

1) get customers in the door where they might buy other stuff not on sale. Think Walmart. Many cases in the sale ad it will state no rain checks no back orders, depending on the company. Sale used as bait.

2) move excess inventory, stuff that has not sold, odd sizes, things that you have new stock coming in, etc. Cleaning house.

There is no "have a sale so the customers can get stuff cheap". If it was YOUR living, your money.... I'd say not a person here would give away their top selling bread and butter.

I think they made it pretty clear "limited to stock on hand". A good number of these items a lot of folks have been waiting just for this sale to jump on. Those items went very fast. Snooze you lose.

23-Nov-14
They confirmed for me today that the Yukon and Chugach (all 4 pieces) in Large Verde were out of stock before the sale started. Go figure.

23-Nov-14
Those were out when I ordered in August but they cam in and I have both now. They are normally out of about half and will get it for you, but with this sale all they seem to have left are mugs and larger person, very that is, sizes.

23-Nov-14
I was lucky, went on there about 9 am eastern time and sale prices were up. Placed my order then!

23-Nov-14
Double post

23-Nov-14

23-Nov-14

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
Yup, KUIU sux, Jason is a schister and go spend ur money elsewhere!

More for me!!

I'm an XL and I have all of the stuff I've ever wanted from kuiu. If I can do it, u can too. As my buddy says, u r where u r cuz that's where u want to b!!!

24-Nov-14
What's the better all around jacket.. Yukon or guide?

24-Nov-14
Youkon is raingear so if you want all in one you want that one. I have both, but have had a chance to test neither. Cory can give you detailed feeback.

24-Nov-14
The Yukon will work as a soft shell and where packing is a premium, the Yukon is the only jacket I take. However, when weight and room isn't an issue, I prefer a soft shell and carry lightweight rain gear in my pack.

24-Nov-14
Just got a Verde Guide jacket today,thanks Kuiu!

24-Nov-14
I have had very good CS as well.

24-Nov-14
Thanks guys. Still not sure what I'll buy.. I currently carry Sitka rain gear with me on hunts which most of the time is just taking up space in my pack.

24-Nov-14
i still cant even get a catalog send to me. at this rate that golden ticket will never come! lol just ordered another catalog 3 minutes ago

i have a bunch of Sitka gear but am in need of some new stuff before next season,

michael

25-Nov-14
TD wrote:

WRT business there is only two reasons to have a sale. 1) get customers in the door where they might buy other stuff not on sale. Think Walmart. Many cases in the sale ad it will state no rain checks no back orders, depending on the company. Sale used as bait.

2) move excess inventory, stuff that has not sold, odd sizes, things that you have new stock coming in, etc. Cleaning house.

Not true there is a very sound and well used third reason. Given the relationship between fixed and vaiable costs there may be a benefit to selling items at a lower margin (on sale) than not selling them at all. So a sale can be highly profitable and effective even if (a) nothing is bought at full price as a result of the loss leader items or (b) even if other than excess inventory stock is sold.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear