spike buck 27-Nov-14
StormCloud 27-Nov-14
mainbrdr 27-Nov-14
Genesis 27-Nov-14
bowriter 29-Nov-14
bighorn 30-Nov-14
bowriter 30-Nov-14
22-Nov-14
I have a heard that only feeds at night. I have changed my feed times, but no luck. They feed between 8 PM and 6 AM. How can I get them to come out during the day?

22-Nov-14
Only put feed out in day lite hrs

22-Nov-14
Good Luck. Forrest

22-Nov-14
At one time someone was selling a box with a lid that only opened during daylight. How no idea of it's name or if it is still available.

22-Nov-14
They are somewhere during the day. Find where that somewhere is and go from there. Start by scouting when there is no hunting season so if you bump them, it won't matter. What Pig Doc says may be hard to hear, but it is good advice.

22-Nov-14
Maybe they are being pressured too much. My place is small, so I have to have other places to hunt so I don't over-pressure the deer. Hunt 'em every weekend and they go vampire on you.

Dr. James Kroll once made the statement that you could leave them alone or spend so much time there during the off season that they got used to you. I don't know if that works, but it may. I spend a lot of time on one of my places, trapping, food plotting and just working. Been five years now, and seems like they are getting a little less spooky. That said, the old does and the bigger bucks still run at night mostly.

22-Nov-14
Lack of pressure is about the onlyvway I know.

22-Nov-14
Your deer are day feeders. Whenever the moon is overhead or underfoot your deer are up and feeding. Maybe not on your property, but they are up and feeding, many times near bedding areas. Create more bedding areas on your property and hunt near them during the day, whenever a moon guide says deer are feeding. Traditional morning hunting and evening hunting leads to a lack of success...hunt the moon..period.

22-Nov-14

22-Nov-14
". Most of the time when the moon is straight overhead it is dark"

The moon goes around the earth in around 25 hours so in appearance it is loosing the race with the sun about 55 miutes per day. At times it is directly overhead when the sun is overhead and primary feeding is at 12 noon. In that case the deer might not be in the field beside the road at noon but they will be up and feeding. Should the moon be overhead at 5 in my he evening then the fields will fill up. The rut is almost over for most of the country so those not paying attention the the moon from here on out are not taking advantage of the most important factor in hunting success.

22-Nov-14
"Traditional morning hunting and evening hunting leads to a lack of success...hunt the moon..period."

According to the P & Y 28th Biennium Convention Program Record Period Statistical Summary of all entries for whitetail deer here are the following times the animals were taken:

Sunrise - 10AM= 27% 4PM - Sunset= 47%

There were a total of 5062 entries for whitetail deer entered at the end of the reporting period. I think this is some pretty valid information as to when is a bowhunter's best chance is of killing a whitetail based on statistics. However, the overall best time to kill a deer is when the bowhunter is afield hunting.

22-Nov-14

22-Nov-14
Daily moon position has absolutely nothing to do with feeding times. That being said stop feeding your deer herd and hunt them where they would normally feed without your supplemental feeding. There is pressure on them and they are being fed. That's the problem. Make them work for their food and they will spend more time on their feet. You have created your own problem.

22-Nov-14

22-Nov-14
Classic Doc!!!

22-Nov-14
I guess I am a middle of the roader on this debate.

I agree that near dawn and dusk will most consistently show deer movements. Whatever else they do, prey species that are somewhat nocturnal, so their tendency is to bed down just after dawn and get up just before dusk.

I have also seen some credible reasons to think the moon has some influence. Have you ever been driving along in the middle of a hot day and seen deer up feeding everywhere? I have. 95 degrees and between 10 and 2 and deer are out feeding over some distances. Something has them all up together. There is not always a moon timing explanation, but many times there is

In heavily hunted areas, deer have learned to be bedded well before dawn and stay bedded until after dark. However, they also know when the woods get quite in the middle of the day that they can get up and feed.

I also believe the most single thing that gets deer moving is a weather change: rain on the way, front coming, etc.

22-Nov-14
The minor feed times are when the moon is on the horizon...so with a 25 hour moon rotation that means the moon is overhead and underfoot 12 hours and 30 minutes apart and on the horizon 6 hours and 15 minutes in between. 6 hours...sound farmiliar. Plan on this. I did day before yesterday and killed at 10:15. Climbed at 8 am. Look at the feeding times now and listen to the gun shots. Unreal how accurate this is. I've killed at high noon using this method.

22-Nov-14
You cant!

"Have you ever been driving along in the middle of a hot day and seen deer up feeding everywhere? I have. 95 degrees and between 10 and 2 and deer are out feeding over some distances. Something has them all up together"

Yeah its called no pressure. I have seen what you speak of as well but not ever during hunting season! Pressure pushes them Noc.

23-Nov-14

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
this is what the typical NJ hunter tries... The hunter might be set up a little too close to the food source though :)

23-Nov-14
I agree with pig doc. Its not really natural to change a wild animals behavior. They are smart enough to figure it out in the wild. Hunting pressure will certainly turn them into night owls, most deer are by nature.

23-Nov-14

23-Nov-14
Just have a good long talk with them and express your needs and concerns.

23-Nov-14
Buffalo you just likely helped proved that being in stand during certain moon phases can be successful.

26% of all P&Y deer are harvested from 10-4.

That means if you hunt all day, especially during certain moon phases you could harvest anywhere to 26% more deer.

Obviously having more data would prove that out.

I also agree with the pressure crowd.

23-Nov-14
26% during 10-4 is actually quite astounding numbers considering the % of people that are hunting during that time.

Consider even the guys that do hunt all day. How often do you hunt all day compared to just the "prime" times?

Then consider that that 26% most likely only falls during the rut because I can't think of many guys hunting mid day in September. Now think about your odds in November 10-4!!!!

23-Nov-14
"26% during 10-4 is actually quite astounding numbers considering the % of people that are hunting during that time."

I typically go in the woods around 7-7:30 AM on a normal non-guided deer hunt. I see most of my deer from around 8AM -12:30 PM. Come out for lunch and regroup for afternoon hunt. I have been amazed at the number of deer I see during the non-typical hours when most others have left the woods around 9-9:30 AM.

Just a suggestion that others may want to try sometime.

23-Nov-14

24-Nov-14
WW,

Many times I fall asleep and then wake up and there are deer near by. lol

24-Nov-14

24-Nov-14
I would say start hunting away from the feeder. If you want to use bait, you can use throw corn in a likely spot. If you have a camera start putting it on trails etc. to see if you can catch some daytime activity.

Do you have hogs? They can ruin deer activity.

Another thing you could do is cut back on the amount of corn thrown or only throw corn in the morning.

24-Nov-14
"How do I turn my deer to day feeders?"

Are these "your" deer or wild deer?

As far as I know, wild deer feed when they want. I don't know about domestic deer...

Maybe that's your problem; are you trying to domesticate wild deer...?

24-Nov-14
remi

Find out where they bed, and get closer to it. Try a food plot in a smaller clearing, where they can feel more secure with cover close by, or set your stand on a path between their bedding area(s) and water. There are a lot of options. Less pressure might also help. Consider giving the area some serious time off.

24-Nov-14
Plant things that does love and crave. Rutting bucks will peek their head out to check for hot does.

I had deer eating in all my test plots at various times during the weekend , during the opening weekend of deer season. Yes, i scored an old buck in the test plots. What was in his stomach's was clovers, brassicas and triticals.

Yes, i've brought up triticale numerous times in the past year and once again, i witnessed zero deer grazing on any of the oats, buck forage oats nor fall rye plots but they were in the triticale and it's because it's HIGHER IN SUGAR.....

24-Nov-14
Bait piles and too much bait in one place reduces the amount of territory a deer has to cover to feed. If they can get all of their nutrition quickly and easily they will bed nearby (if the terrain/cover works) and it will reduce their daytime feeding.

I agree with much of what's been said above.

If I was limiting my approach to simply the feed times, I would probably set feed times to an hour after daylight and then a few feed times every couple of hours stopping at 1:00 or so.

I also think for overall deer activity (if you are going to bait) you are better off with more feeders running shorter periods of time rather than long feed times. Let the deer hit the feeder and move on to another area to find food.

Though my approach on food plots and feeding isn't to try to concentrate deer as much as it is to promote activity and herd health.

25-Nov-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
I have a bear that guards my bait pile at night and he sleeps all day. Never have to replace batteries either.

26-Nov-14
I appreciate all of the advice. I only hunt this property on Saturday since it is small. I have been successful on a larger plot (+200 acres), so for you jerks that tell me to learn to hunt, that's what I am trying to do. I sincerely hope you don't have any youth that trying to enjoy and learn how to hunt. I can honestly say I thought I found a forum that would help me, not berate me.

26-Nov-14
"so for you jerks that tell me to learn to hunt, that's what I am trying to do"

Hey I harvest game over feeders too, but there is really no "learning to hunt" involved in that. You were not asking advice on learning to hunt, but on how to change deer's natural behavior. The internet is what it is. You have to take the good with the bad. However, if you have spent any time here or on other hunting sites, you have to know that many of the guys look at bait as a four letter word. Secondly, you give us no info except that you want advice to make deer come to your bait during daylight. You wait 4 days to slightly clarify that it is a small parcel then call some of us jerks. With that in mind, I wouldn't think you would be that surprised with the result.

26-Nov-14
Teaching youth on how to condition deer with bait is not really teaching them how to hunt.

26-Nov-14
Remit: Sorry for the misunderstanding, I withdraw all my comments.

I do believe then based on your comments is that the thread question should have been "How Do I Adjust My Bait Piles So That They Come To Them In The Day time?"

Had that been the case, I'd of never even clicked on this thread, no less offer any advice.

26-Nov-14

spike buck's embedded Photo
Client just took this 10 point over a bait. Previously he came in only when hunter was not there. Temps went down to 28 below, with 2 inches of snow. N.W. Ontario. Chris

26-Nov-14

Deer cane and bait pile. Very successful!! Baited Does bring in the chasing Bucks.

26-Nov-14
They feed during the day no matter where the moon is. They just don't do it where you are hunting. Quit depending on bait and learn to identify woodland browse and mast. You'll not only see deer during daylight, you'll enjoy hunting a lot more. Right now, you aren't hunting, you're just shooting.

27-Nov-14
So say's bowriter!!

27-Nov-14
Jack Harris,LMAO…thats to darn Funny. The only way to see more deer in day light hours is reduce hunting pressure and outside disturbance.. If you have food plots have cover very close by and keep plots small. Deer feed at night mostly., I think its called evolution.??

27-Nov-14
"The only way to see more deer in daylite hours is to reduce hunting pressure and outside disturbance." Bingo!!!

Forest Bows, when we are talking to the deer they can sometimes distinguish between our wants and our needs. :)

27-Nov-14
Sallie,scouting will let you use nature's candy and give you the answers you seek.Enjoy the outdoors and have a successful season

29-Nov-14
If you concentrate your hunting on bait piles and food plots, it does not take much pressure to make deer appear nocturnal. That does not mean they do not feed during daylight hours-they do.

Obviously pressure quickly changes feeding patterns. However, when you hunt woodland food sources-natural food sources-if you hunt them properly, you do not hunt from the same tree every time you go to the woods. You move as the deer move and as the food sources change. Even on a small tract of land, you can hunt regularly and still not make your deer appear nocturnal.

I am speaking of deer in general, not mature bucks. A mature buck may go mostly nocturnal with very little pressure. However, even thought you may not see any deer in the daylight and get plenty of night pictures, that does not mean they do not feed in the daytime.

in the 60-years I have been hunting deer and the 35+ I have been studying them, I have never seen an instance of totally nocturnal deer. I have, on many occasions, seen totally nocturnal deer when studying baiting and food plots. And this is true in many areas. If you have a bait pile or feeder and that is the only place you hunt, it won't take much to make them nocturnal as it relates to that location.

By learning and understanding natural food sources and hunting multiple stands, you can hunt an area of less than 20-acres as much as three days a week and have activity all season. The woods behind my house are a prime example. I have 8-stands on 20-acres, hunt it as much as four times a week and see deer almost every time I go. I just do not hunt the same stand twice in any seven day period. I have not reduced the pressure in any way. I just never exerted it to start with.

30-Nov-14
If we could ban baiting deer would have a more natural feeding habit than waiting for dark to go to bait piles.

30-Nov-14
Of course, Bighorn. Also true if we banned hunting food plots. I don't care what others do, that is their concern. As long as it is legal, I have no problem with it.

However, as for myself, I hunt total woodland-no fields or food plots. Each year, as I scout to see what has changed with the habitat, I find some stands locations must change as primary food sources change.

I hunt quite a it, sometimes, as often as six days a week. Usually, about three days a week. I have never had a problem with nocturnal deer anymore than is normal. It is extremely rare for me to go and not at least see a deer.

This year, due to health problems, I have only hunted 16-times since Oct. 1. I can see no difference in my deer traffic than any other year. No more or less diurnal movement than in years I hunted hard. However, seldom do I hunt a stand more than once in a week.

• Sitka Gear