HuntnBigGame 24-Nov-14
hbfd138 25-Nov-14
Mule Power 25-Nov-14
The Yode 25-Nov-14
The Old Sarge 25-Nov-14
Mule Power 25-Nov-14
Huntcell 25-Nov-14
22-Nov-14
I am new to Western hunting and was looking for opinions on preference points. At some point in the future I am interested in doing DIY hunts for Elk, Mule Deer and possible a Big Horn. Without a firm plan in place, does it make sense to start appling for points now? What would be the best place to start collecting info on which States to apply in? In the meantime I will most likely be trying to hunt with an outfitter for Mule Deer or another Pronghorn. Thanks to Pat for this site and all the information and amazing hunt stories that I have been able to learn from.

Brian

22-Nov-14
Lots to think about. Every state is dfferent. Some are worth getting in the game. Some aren't But one thing worth mentioning is that there is some darn good hunting for elk and mulies without banking points. Sheep is a whole other story.

One thing I'd say... before you pile up a bunch of elk pints and then go burn them learn how to hunt elk. You wouldn't want to cash in your points before getting a bit of an education first.

22-Nov-14
Collect points for deer, elk and sheep in CO. Some good elk hunts and some great deer opps for 2 or less. Hunt elk in WY and MT on a general tag, plenty good options (you need 1pt for WY). Collect lope pts for WY, some awesome hunts for 3 or less. Good luck!

22-Nov-14
Have a savings account to cover your apps each year. As you build to it you can expand applications to new states and species.

22-Nov-14
Have you checked out the states that don't have points?

22-Nov-14
How old are you?

22-Nov-14
Sarge, I have not considered states that don't have points. As I said I am still new to this big game hunting thing and am still learning.

Stakewood, I am 38. I am will be looking to hunt guided hunts over the next couple years till my children are a little older and I can dedicate more than 5 to 7 days hunting.

23-Nov-14
No need to do antelope with an outfitter. Gain points while going to easy to draw units in WY. Build CO and WY points for deer and elk while hunting general if possible. Look into Nevada and Arizona too. Look to Idaho for better odds on OIL permits.

23-Nov-14
Points suck....but I have plenty in 3 different states.

23-Nov-14
"Without a firm plan in place, does it make sense to start appling for points now?"

If it doesn't make sense to start now, it will make less sense to start later.

23-Nov-14
I currently have 16 for moose in Washington. I was 44 when I started. I don't think I can wait for another 16. Pick where you want hunt and put in for points only, until you're ready to actually ready to hunt.

24-Nov-14
There are states that do not use points, have over-the-counter tags and some very good hunting. Why not hunt the alternatives?

24-Nov-14
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sarge, I will definitely look into the states that dont require points.

24-Nov-14
Are you a committed hunter? A lot of the best states/districts you are simply mailing them the cost of the license every year for 10+ years to get to the head of the draw line. Also, how much money do you have to put into it? Some states will hit you hard up front for certain species (eg sheep) but you will get a refund back due to the low/nonexistent odds of drawing until you have a decade plus worth of points.

Is your goal to get a few wallhangers, get good opportunities (but not necessarily inches) when you do hunt, or primarily to get out into the great beyond?

If you don't subscribe to the Huntin Fool, a year's subscription is well worth the cost of learning the top states and districts for each species, plus the ins and outs and costs of drawing, draw odds, etc.

I put in for every state and every species I can afford. My sunk cost is over $1000/year, and the upfront (but refunded) cost is 10x that. The only guarantee is you won't draw if you don't apply, and you never know when you will hook up with a real good opportunity if you just have/had the points. As pointed out, a lot of states give you a points only option so you can simply build points without adding the possibility of another hunt to the mix.

24-Nov-14
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sarge, I will definitely look into the states that dont require points.

24-Nov-14
Subscribe to Eastman's Hunting Journal, they have all kinds of draw info on all the western states. Best areas, draw odds, etc. Great magazine.

25-Nov-14
Ben, I am unable to put down nearly as much money for tags as you do, but that is what I would love to do when my kids get older. I would be more interested in good opportunities at quality animals, not necessarily "trophy animals". I will subscribe to Hunting Fool and hope to learn more.

HuntnBigGame, I did subscribe to Eastmans Bowhunting Journal.

Again I want to say thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

Brian

25-Nov-14
There are surely good opportunities for quality animals on general licenses with no points. Draw permits don't always mean bigger animals. Lots of times it just means life is easier as far as access and less competition.

25-Nov-14
There are some states like Colorado who allow you to do both. You can apply for a preference point and still get an over-the-counter (no draw) license. That allows you to build points for a better unit, but still hunt a lot of units to build experience. You may also find that you can get some great hunting in an OTC unit and don't need to worry about points anymore.

25-Nov-14
States like Idaho, don't have points but you can apply for whatever draw you want. If not successful, you can always hunt with an OTC tag.

25-Nov-14
Both Montana & Wyoming also let you hunt on general licenses while accumulating points for deer and elk.

25-Nov-14
Check the states details and the terminology used. The draw process can entail nuances that shouldn't be passd by preference points bonus points some tags for same unit and species going to max point holders some going to a random draw some rede dread for youth , vets or for sale by landowners sports groups or appointed or elected officials. Be mindful some states don't differentiate between residents and non residents for draw purposes until a present percentage of tags have been drawn by NR after that point no more NR that draw will not be valid for a tag. Idaho and Montana operate under this NR cap. Since you don't know the unit draw sequence and when NR cap will be reached there are plenty of units that are defacto worthless for non- resident to spend the non refundable license fee to be in the draw. And the listed so called great draw odds apply surly for residents but not necessarily for NR as no NR has draw in numerous units in the last five consecutive years Because the NR cap has been met. In few a units with female tags Do your research if you find units that have succussful NR tag draws there can be some solace to believe you have a chance versus no chance. Of course you will never know for sure as they could change up the unit sequence Idaho prime example. I like states that are upfront with specific tag unit designation for NR

HuntinFool and Eastsmans gives a good outline of each states draw and point details Of course they get all there information from the states G&F departs usually online as you could also. There publications sometimes makes it easier to understand . Beaware that in some states for some species and units you are to late to get in the game there to few tags and to many hunters ahead of you in point game Be mindful that the states can and do change the rules and requirements at there whim and descrestion Example What had been a straight preference draw was changed to a combination preference for some of the tags to a random draw for rest so even though you thought you were a shoe in for premium unit after twenty years of applying now tags are going to application of five years. Oh well another donation to the wildlife cause Put in enough states long enough your number will come up Last year was good. Co Deer tag after 8 years applying, mountain goat tag after 14 years and Arizona antelope with 14 PTs Have fun start sooner rather than latter!!!

• Sitka Gear