Nick Muche 23-Nov-14
KOWZDEER 23-Nov-14
weekender21 23-Nov-14
drycreek 23-Nov-14
Julius K 23-Nov-14
Blacktail Bob 23-Nov-14
Nick Muche 23-Nov-14
23-Nov-14
I was looking at pictures of people hunting deer on the south end of Kodiak and it looks incredibly beautiful and rugged but there are no trees.

what do hunters do after they harvest a deer? Where do they put it? How do they keep bears off of it?

and secondly are there portable electric fence rentals out of Kodiak? To surround your tent? and or deer if you're lucky enough to harvest one?

23-Nov-14

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
I picked up a UDAP Lightweight Bear Fence and it worked just fine, though we didn't have any bears around to our knowledge. Kept the meat inside the brown tarp when we were hunting and placed it on rocks while around camp to get a good crust on it. Once it's crusted over, the meat is just the way you need it when away from civilization for a week or more.

That fence can do a pretty large area and weighs less than 3 lbs, runs off of 2 D Cell batteries and will last 5 weeks!

23-Nov-14
Thanks Nick. That makes a lot of sense.

23-Nov-14
Another option is to submerge your meat in a lake or creek if available. BOWUNTR (Ed F) taught me that little trick. Just make sure to double bag the meat using thick quality bags (i.e. home depot contractor bags). I've used this method as well as keeping it inside the fence.

23-Nov-14
Nick, betcha gotta be careful where you pee in the middle of the night ! ZZZZTTTT !

23-Nov-14
Nick, your meat doesn't bake under the tarp? How warm was it when you were down there?

23-Nov-14
Bears are seldom willing to come into a camp where there is so much human scent. In over 30 years down there, its happened to me a couple times but its really nothing to loose sleep over.

23-Nov-14
The meat did not bake under the tarp.

I've placed it in heavy duty bags as well... Last time I did it, I triple bagged it and still got water inside the bag. You've gotta be super careful not to puncture a hole.

• Sitka Gear