SDHNTR(home) 24-Nov-14
Rayzor 24-Nov-14
Rayzor 24-Nov-14
Pyrannah 24-Nov-14
Pyrannah 24-Nov-14
Jim B 24-Nov-14
23-Nov-14
how to do it???

i used the ferule as a guide but it doesn't seem to work? I can get the three blades smokin sharp, but these two blades are tough to me...

any pointers would be appreciated!!

thanks

23-Nov-14
Google up the broadside bowhunters videos... I thought I saw one on sharpening vpa two blades they have. They're from Australia and they're hunting videos are awesome!

24-Nov-14
A lot of guys use the ferrule but for me its hard to go wrong with the KME broad head sharpener (not the more expensive knife sharpener) and a couple of Norton India Bench Stones. Simple and straight forward. You don't need to have "the touch" like when free handing. Although free handing with a fine lathe file followed by a India Stone (ask called a file) I believe is pretty easy too. Check out the KME videos linked on their site or Youtube.

24-Nov-14
Thanks guys.. i checked the broadside bowhunters but didn't see a video for two blades, just three...

rayzor, i would rather not have to buy something else..

not sure why if i am using the ferrule, i cant hit the edges.. i have only been using one head so far and the finish is off the ferrule, and the entire edge.. but it almost seems like the blade edge has a finer angle to it at the tip of the blade?

24-Nov-14
I know you mentioned not wanting to buy anything, and I don't have stock in KME, but their broadhead jig is definitely an answer. The angle is fixed and you use your existing stones. Hit them with a strop when done and they will cut your eyelashes off if you stare at them too long. (I use this method on Stingers)

24-Nov-14

CurveBow's Link
I recently bought a Spyderco sharpener. It sets triangular diamond & ceramic rods into a base. All you do is stroke the knife/broadhead against the rod, bu holding the blade straight up & down. No tricky angle as the base sets the angle for you. I have gotten jackknives and boning knives scary sharp using it.

Link attached...

>>>>-------->

24-Nov-14
What sharpening tools do you have now? I have a KME and it surely works, but honestly, I get better results just freehanding with the same file and jewellstick I use for the 3 blades. Old school style.

24-Nov-14
right now i use a 12" file then some lansky sticks i have, followed up with a strop.. these shave with ease when finished...

the two blade, i cant seem to get the angle right with the file i guess.. I have a 6" file i have been messing around with on the one head.. Does the blade edge and the ferule match up perfectly? Maybe i just need some more practice...

they fly great!!!

24-Nov-14
Blood.. do u use the ferrule as a guide?

24-Nov-14
When freehanding the file and/or jewellstick, I do not use the ferrule as a guide personally, I just go by feel and lightly hit the edge with even strokes. There is a video on sharpening this way that 3rivers puts out. Using the ferrule works great with a stone though.

24-Nov-14
You are correct. You can't hit the edges because the ferrule follows the main blade angle rather than the little secondary angle we put on the edge to sharpen them. If you follow the ferrule its a a lot more work as you cover the entire edge and the ferrule, as well as have to work past the factory edge, but that is what a lot of guys do. Freehand or KME at a slightly steeper angle is much much easier in my opinion. You end up with about a 1/16th inch edge. Thats the way its do from the factory and the way I do it. Much easier and quicker. Steeper angle makes for a tougher edge too. Other tools work to but you have to watch out with the little V tools. You can screw the head up quick if you don't use them right.

If someone wants to follow the ferrule without having to take the extra time to work past the secondary angle we can send you some that only have the tips sharpened and don't have the secondary edge we normally put on them. Just keep in mind that would be a special and it will take a bit more time to ship than the ones we already have package in stock.

24-Nov-14
Not to change the subject but I hate auto correct. Anyone tell a new to Apple challenged guy how to turn it off.

24-Nov-14
Hmmm crap... i worked the one head pretty bad with the ferrule as a guide... kinda wish i hadnt now..... lol. Oh well...

Thanks for the feedback i have the direction i think i need to proceed..

Thanks again... sorry cant help with the apple stuff... good luck though

24-Nov-14
Hmmm crap... i worked the one head pretty bad with the ferrule as a guide... kinda wish i hadnt now..... lol. Oh well...

Thanks for the feedback i have the direction i think i need to proceed..

Thanks again... sorry cant help with the apple stuff... good luck though

24-Nov-14

Jim B's embedded Photo
Jim B's embedded Photo
I use the KME broadhead sharpener on all 2 blades,using "wet or dry" sandpaper in a variety of grits and have never had heads so sharp.I find that it removes less metal as the position is precise and repeatable.This especially applies to touch ups.

Whatever means you use,it helps to blacken the broadhead's bevel with a Sharpie so you can see exactly where metal is being removed.

• Sitka Gear