Woodman 17-Dec-14
OdinsEdge 18-Dec-14
SDHNTR(home) 18-Dec-14
Bou'bound 18-Dec-14
tbrake 19-Dec-14
cobry 24-Dec-14
cobry 01-Jan-15
24-Nov-14
Hello all, I'm looking for some input on comparison of a hoyt carbon spyder/nitrum 34 and a mathews chill x. I have a true 31" draw. I've given away my mathews z9 which I loved, so before buy a new z9... I've shot the hoyt & chill x in a shop a few times (not the correct draw on either) both seemed faster than the z9. Looking for long term, hunting reveiws. Thanks

24-Nov-14
Hoyt.

24-Nov-14
Hoyt

25-Nov-14
Thanks. Because I'm going to have to sell a arm and kidney to buy a new bow. For some reason I have to shoot a bow for quite a while to know if I like it, shooting one at a shop is no good.

25-Nov-14
If you can't tell a difference by shooting both at the shop, look at price and the shop you buy from. Both companies make good quality bows. However, you'll be going back to the shop for a lot of things so picking a good pro shop will make a difference in the long run. You will always get cheaper service (many set up or tuning issues are free) if they are working on a bow they sold you.

Mathews has great customer service (especially when going through a good pro shop). Can't speak to Hoyt's service...

(Also, remember that asking about which is better is about the same as asking which is better, Ford or Chevy!)

Our shop sells Mathews and I have seen them replace dry-fired bows (once per customer/bow) for free. Don't know how Hoyt responds to that (no experience).

26-Nov-14
The Yode, thanks for the input.

26-Nov-14
I've seen Mathews do exactly what yode said. Pretty awesome for them to do that. Never seen Hoyt do it, but haven't seen them in that situation. Hoyt does have good customer service as far as my dealings have been. Both bows are very good. I've seen people switch from Hoyt for the chill x, and I've seen people switch from the chill series to the Hoyt nitrum. The choice between them is difficult. Last year I took 3 months to decide between the chill r and the carbon spyder turbo. In the end I shot th Hoyt slightly better so I went with it. In my shop it could not recommend one over the other. It may come down to the one that just feels a little better in your hand.

27-Nov-14
I switched from a z9 or a carbon spyder 34. Not manny options when your a big guy. My draw length is 32". I love my carbon spyder

16-Dec-14
I bought a new Faktor 34 long draw this spring and absolutely love it! But like The Yode says above, it's a Chevy vs. Ford thing.

16-Dec-14
Hoyt in my corner also.

16-Dec-14
I just bought a Hoyt Nitrum 34 with a 31 inch draw and love it. Don't know anything about Matthews because I wouldn't have one ;-)

16-Dec-14

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
... oh, I forgot the picture.

16-Dec-14
Hoyt doesn't have a problem with dry fired bows. They test every model to ensure it will survive a dry fire.

Hoyt for me, too.

16-Dec-14
Like Yode said both are great bows and unless you do your own work on your bow you will be making trips to bow shop ! I would get what ever is close to the house ! Sometimes the drive is worth it for a better bow shop ! I have a Mathews dealer 3 miles from my house and a Hoyt dealer 6 miles away and I drive by both to go 1/2 hr. to my Mathews dealer !

16-Dec-14
I have never owned a Mathews but have owned plenty of Hoyts. The Chill X is the first Mathews that has my interest. They are both pretty close in speed. It is in my opinion that the X's more neutral riser design might lead to a little more shootable bow but the one thing I don't like about the X is that is essentially a binary cam and you have no control over horizontal nock travel. Both bows are very nice but in the end it is Hoyt for me.

16-Dec-14
Hoyt

17-Dec-14
Mathews Z9 bow, very underrated bow

18-Dec-14
Hoyt has more options for a longer draw than Mathews does, that's why I went with Hoyt.

18-Dec-14
Have you shot the Bowtech Boss? If there was ever a bow made for long draw guys, that's it, IMO.

18-Dec-14
Hoyt

19-Dec-14
I too have a long draw. 32". I shot a z9 for 3 years and really liked it. I made the mistake of shooting a carbon spyder 34 this spring. Been shooting it since March, not once have I missed the z9. Both are amazing bows but I like my hoyt quite a bit better

24-Dec-14
Merry Christmas! Thanks all for your opinions. I was able to shoot a Chill X a bit and liked it, I'm going to pull the trigger on a new bow after the first of the year. I'm still liking my old Z9, but I need to shoot a Hoyt also.

01-Jan-15
Well Santa brought me a Chill X for Christmas! Haven't had a chance to put it together and shoot it yet. Happy New year all.

• Sitka Gear