Habitat 10-Dec-20
Grey Ghost 10-Dec-20
x-man 10-Dec-20
txhunter58 10-Dec-20
txhunter58 10-Dec-20
White Falcon 10-Dec-20
SJJ 10-Dec-20
26-Nov-14
Fellas- After hunting in KS this last week during the extreme cold (many mornings were 6 degrees with wind) and finding out that my outer layer was not completely quiet, I decided I need a new super warm but totally quiet outer layer. I hunt from the ground, with shots coming from 20-30 yards so I need a completely quiet outer layer. So my question, is the Cabela's Berber Fleece Jacket with Wind Shear completely quiet? Thanks for any experience you have with the product. Doug Dillingham Ohio City, CO.

26-Nov-14
I don't know of anything that is "completely quiet" when it's deep cold and still. Sometimes even the sound of the arrow drawing across a rest is enough to alert a deer.

Personally, I love the Berber vest with Wind Shear for my outer-outer layer. I hunt from the ground as well. The issues with the "crinkling" of the laminate seems to come from the sleeves flexing, so I use a wool outer without a laminate for my outer layer beneath the Berber vest.

26-Nov-14
...I use the Berber Fleece and - yes, very quiet and warm. I like wool too and there are a lot of good companies making wool stuff out there. I'm from Wisconsin and 6 degrees is more the norm here so staying warm is a must. One thing I would add - (unless you already use one) is use a muff with a couple handwamers. That goes a long way to making the time one stand on really cold days that much more enjoyable. Good hunting.

26-Nov-14
I second Jaq's comment. It is quiet stuff. I'm wearing the vest hunting Roosevelt elk on BC''s wet coast the past few weeks. Tree standing and stalking. I had a non wind stopper version for years but loaned it to a sheep hunting buddy and never got it back! The wind stopper version is definitely warmer and doen't make noise to me.

26-Nov-14
I have a Cabela's Berber Fleece Jacket with Wind Shear and it is 'real" quiet, but I can't say it is "completely" quiet. As Jaquomo stated when it is cold and still any sound is magnified.

I might add that the Wind Shear component is a very effective feature.

Read the Cabela review on the product to see what comment of other owner the product.

26-Nov-14
I have owned the cabellas berber fleece you mention and HANDS down my absolute best piece of hunting gear. It only comes out late season but with several layers underneath I have yet to get cold. 5 seasons now using it heavily and it still is like new....built very well.

It is as quiet as you can get in my opinion. hand warmers in the pockets and bring the subzero on.

26-Nov-14
Same here have the pullover jacket, extremely warm and quiet. My only regret is not getting the zipper jacket.

26-Nov-14
On the same topic, I have a pair of Cabelas Wooltimate Ultimate bibs (Thinsulate and Wind Shear) and they are the BOMB for cold weather sitting. High on the front and back so it's almost like having overalls, but without the bind.

Those, with a non-laminate wool outer jacket under the bibs (with multi-layer merino and synthetics for bases, plus a wool shirt) and the Berber/WindShear vest is a suitable combo for the worst I ever encounter hunting mulies on the ground on the CO plains in Nov-Dec.

Only problem is that the Wootimate Ultimate bibs are too warm for everything except the worst days.

27-Nov-14
I used to wear fleece but now wear Sitka and have found it quite reasonable on the noise side of things. When it gets cold, a windstopper of some sort is essential IMO and that will always be the weakest link in noise.

27-Nov-14

sbschindler's Link
the link didn't work, but its the Cabela's stand hunters parka, its quiet and warm,

27-Nov-14
I too love fleece for cold weather stand hunts. On the one occasion I bought some Berber fleece with Windstopper, it went directly back to Cabelas within minutes of coming out of the box. WAY too noisy.

27-Nov-14
I had the jacket with windstopper, its always windy where I hunt, so the noise was 't a problem, but if its dead quiet, its very noisey.

Also, the sleeves are quite bulkey i.e. string issues.

Over all, a great product, but has some drawbacks.

27-Nov-14
No, it sounds like a washing with marbles in it. (Bazinga) It is some of the best stuff made for quiet.

27-Nov-14
I too have the vest, pants and zip jacket. I did have zippers installed on the pants for wearing knee high rubber boots, but I beleive the newer pants have zips in them. Mixed with Wind Shear, the Berber fleece is excellent for warmth from cold wind and super quiet. I did buy 2 sizes up in order to layer underneath.

27-Nov-14
Berber & Wooltimate are super quiet except for the occasional cuss words required to de-burr yourself after you walk through a big patch.

27-Nov-14
"Finding out" should be done well in advance in a very quiet place before the reciets or off and tags have been removed.... send backif not totally quiet and try something else.

27-Nov-14
I've had the pullover jacket and the pants for years. One of the best clothing purchases I've ever made. This gear is warm and quiet and extremely well made. I've also shot a number of deer wearing this (a couple under 5 yards) which is a testament to it's silent qualities.

27-Nov-14
Glunt, I have a pumice- like stone from Cabelas made for de-burring clothes. Works great, just stroke it over the material. But yeah, the burrs where I'm hunting right now even muck up Core4 pants. Nasty little buggers.

27-Nov-14
Love the berber...yes its quiet

27-Nov-14
Yes it's quiet enough. Have been using it for a good 15 years!!

27-Nov-14
Berber fleece with windstopper was too loud for my tastes but without windstopper is was fine...

27-Nov-14
Last year my wife picked me up a Woolrich red-n-black plaid wool hunting jacket at the thrift store for $7.95. The interior has a built in wind breaking liner. It still had tags on it. In the past I have spent *TONS* of money on new age synthetic garbage that woefully fail in comparison overall.

27-Nov-14
roger, that's great. Love those stories.

My favorite outer-inner layer is a dense-weave Swiss military wool shirt I got years ago at a surplus store for about $6. I'd pay 20x for it, for the value it brings.

10-Dec-20
yeah fleece is warmer than any other soft shell have a look https://www.ustradeent.com/outerwear/fleece.html

10-Dec-20
I've been hunting with the Cabelas Berber Fleece for several seasons. I think it is quiet. It may initially need a few washings to get it really quiet, but mine's been covered in blood enough that it's gotten those washings. I will say that 6 degree mornings are going to test your ability to withstand the cold. Base layers will be very important, especially in the wind. I have the pants, vest and jacket. I also have the pullover that I don't wear much because it kills my shoulders to shimmy into it. Another negative is the burs. I've got burs in mine that will be there until I throw it away. They used to make bibs too. Don't know if they still do. If they do I think that would be the cat's azz for extreme cold.

10-Dec-20
The fleece is quiet, the wind stopper makes some noise. Keep in mind most garments that are noisy become less so with time/usage/washings.

10-Dec-20
Cabelas wooltimate was really good don't know if they still sell it though and very quiet except when you stepped on a sand bur that attached to the bottom of pants

10-Dec-20
I agree with Matt, every garment I've had with wind stopper in is noisy due to the liner. I also have the Cabelas berber jacket with no wind stopper. It's dead quiet, and was one of the go-to pieces before the zipper broke after only a few seasons.

I still haven't completely worked out my favorite cold weather outfit. I have an old Cabelas Outfitter wool jacket and pants that are extremely warm, but are too heavy to do any hiking in. I've always wanted a KOM outfit since seeing their products at a sportsman's show years ago, but their price has always given me pause.

Matt

10-Dec-20
Wow, 6 year old thread.

10-Dec-20
Just keep in mind that fleece is great for quiet. Not so great when it rains

10-Dec-20
Just keep in mind that fleece is great for quiet. Not so great when it rains

10-Dec-20

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
I love Berber with wind stop. Pants, jacket, hat and vest. Also very quiet

10-Dec-20
not for me....not that warm, picks up beggars lice etc like nobodies business, a tad bulky

• Sitka Gear