buzz mc 07-Jun-15
Rocky D 07-Jun-15
Bill in MI 07-Jun-15
Z Barebow 08-Jun-15
Vids 14-Jun-15
Bill in MI 14-Jun-15
midwest 15-Jun-15
28-Nov-14
It's official, I just signed up for my first full marathon to be ran on 6/6.

Last year for a new years resolution, I started with p90x2 and culminated in completing my first 1/2 marathon.

Since I'm expecting an AZ archery elk tag this year, I thought I'd kick off the season with another fitness goal to put me in the best shape possible to chase those beasts.

I also am looking forward to a Tough-Mudder with Midwest and his crew this spring.

So here is the encouragement guys, I started by not being able to run a mile without puking my guts out. I'm far from an athlete even now, but these fitness goals have improved my overall health, outlook, and hunting ability/tenacity.

It's never too late to start (just turned 40), and the next hunting season is just around the corner.

Best wishes guys. Bill

28-Nov-14

Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Chasing elk in MT this year. I will be in better shape this year. No other option exists...

28-Nov-14
Good Luck Bill! I have trained for, run in and finished 3 Marathons. I too started at 40 and ran for minutes instead of miles to start. I have yet to sign up for a Spring 2015 Marathon but will most likely after the new year. It is amazing how your training success will transcend to other aspects of your life. There is as much if not more mental benefit to Marathon training as there is physical. In my experience Bow Hunting and Endurance Running are two winning combinations for a fulfilling life. Best of luck...if I may suggest reading some of the Writing of Dr. George Sheehan on running. He was a columnist for Runners World and his writing really motivated me while training. Good luck. It is about the journey not the destination!

28-Nov-14
Outstanding, Bill! Where is your marathon?

28-Nov-14
Sunburst marathon in South Bend Indiana

28-Nov-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Like Bill said, he is joining our team for the Tough Mudder this May 2015 in Chicago. I would love to get as many Bowsiters as possible to join us. For those who think this is some ridiculously insane physical challenge....think again. Sure, you need to be in decent shape, but this event is way overhyped as far as physical difficulty. We all stick together and no one is left behind. If you can't get over/through an obstacle, your teammates will be there to help you. It's not a race....the goal is to just finish. And there's beer at the end! :)

If anyone else is interested and wants more details, feel free to pm me.

28-Nov-14

NvaGvUp's Link
Well done, Bill!

Here's another idea. See the link.

28-Nov-14
Perfect. Will do on the reading and the Sheep shape link.

Thx Guys.

28-Nov-14
Mix some footwork excersixes into the mix..ladder drills etc. Balance drills too. All will help keep you upright. It's easy to fall out there and damage equipment and self

29-Nov-14
"If I could offer a suggestion, lift as hard as you can. Put on slabs of muscle. It's more important than the cardio aspect of your hunt."

Uh, NO! Exactly wrong, in fact.

You hunt the mountains with your legs, your lungs, your heart and your attitude!

Putting on 'slabs of muscle' is of no value and can actually be detrimental. It's more weight to carry (How'd you like someone to add a bunch of heavy rocks to your pack?) and it's more to cool, which is very important.

29-Nov-14
I do agree with lift as hard as you can, but do it in high volume sets (8-12 reps) with minimal rest, and do lots of lifts that emphasize your legs, back, and core muscles (i.e. deadlifts, power cleans, pullups, lunges w/bicep curls). Do this for 45 mins and you'll get a good cardio and strength workout combined.

Do this a couple to three days a week and mix in other forms of cardio like running, hiking, mountain biking, etc.

29-Nov-14
Balance is pretty important. I met a gal last year at a trail run in Hell's Canyon. She ran a 28 mile trail race and her only mode of preparation was crossfit.

Not only did she finish, but she did quite well. Most importantly, she looked hot doinig it :^)

29-Nov-14
Don't you know your guide and his 3 spotters can carry the elk out for you( - : Seriously, if your planning on toting a whole elk out by yourself like I did, you better have it all...stamina, strength, and sheer willpower. Burn your thighs out...rest for 15 seconds and burn them out again. Do that for hours on end because that is what you will do when hunting. Spoken from another that was out of shape by elk standards.

29-Nov-14
You guys lift all you want.

Then, when you catch up to me after a 1,500' vertical climb, you can lift my elk quarters into the paniers a lot easier than I can.

;^)

29-Nov-14
FYI,

My partner in my "Getting and Staying in Sheep Shape" seminar, Dr. Maurus Sorg, is a sheep hunter, a Board Certified emergency room physician and has written a book on fitness training for hunting in the mountains. He's also a contributing author for the US Ski Patrols' emergency medicine manual.

Dr. Sorg agrees with me 100% that CARDIO is the most important factor in preparing for hunting the high mountains.

29-Nov-14
Kyle,

I agree too that cardio is the most important component of mountain fitness. However, cardio and strength training (I like that term better than weight lifting) are not mutually exclusive. Maybe that's not what you're getting at here.

Fire up your DVD player and do one of the Max Insanity workouts. I think you'll be surprised at 1) the level of cardio intensity and 2) how sore you can be the day after.

It's all about bang for your buck, and if I can get my strength training, my core work, and my cardio completed in a one hour workout that's a win-win scenario in my book.

29-Nov-14
I coded 6 times since Dr souge suckered me in and left me to die. Yep, you got me on that one.

29-Nov-14
JLS,

Bloodtrail wrote:

"Put on slabs of muscle. It's more important than the cardio aspect of your hunt."

I disagreed strongly. You are also disagreeing with what Bloodtrail wrote.

So just what is it I'm not 'getting' about what he wrote?

You can do all the lifting and upper body work you want. It might help your cardio.

But it won't do a darned thing for your leg strength and for your ability to move forward on those legs day after day after day in the mountains.

Your upper body strength is of little, if not zero value in mountain hunting, unless perhaps, you hunt by walking on your hands instead of on your legs.

Train the way you'll hunt!

29-Nov-14
I set "maybe that's not what you're getting AT", not "maybe that's not what you're getting". One word makes a significant difference in the context here.

How does strength training not do anything for your leg strength? How does having a strong back and shoulders not help you in handling a heavy pack, or being able to shoot your bow effectively?

Edit: Also to say that the workouts MIGHT help your cardio is anything but true. I can put together a pure bodyweight strength training/cardio workout that will have folks who are above average fitness, hurting like no tomorrow. My HR will routinely hit the high 160's and average mid 150s to upper 150's during my one hour plyometric workouts.

29-Nov-14
JLS,

Running, hiking, and hiking with a pack, esp. on mountain trails, will build leg strength. Lifting weights won't do diddly squat for your legs.

It might help you attract the ladies, which is never a bad thing. But it will do nothing for your leg strength, nor your endurance.

Train the way you'll hunt!

29-Nov-14
To say that lifting weights and/or body weight strength exercises won't do anything for leg strength or your endurance is silly. I think your view of strength training must be quite myopic. I'm not talking doing 4 sets of 3 rep squats here.

I'll agree to disagree with you here.

29-Nov-14
Running Is great cardio. But hiking is the best for getting ready for a hunt. In my experience a guy can be in great running condition but when you hit the mtns hiking you can't keep up with the guy who has been hiking.

A combo of different things is a good idea.

As far as weight lifting...big muscle bodies are for the beach not the elk woods.

29-Nov-14
"To say that lifting weights and/or body weight strength exercises won't do anything for leg strength or your endurance is silly."

No, it's not. What's silly and uninformed is to say otherwise.

I'm not saying some lifting isn't a good thing for your overall body condition. What I'm saying is lifting for upper body strength won't do diddly squat for helping you go up and down the mountains, not just for one or two days on your hunt, but for every day on your hunt.

"As far as weight lifting...big muscle bodies are for the beach not the elk woods."

Exactly!

29-Nov-14
"Train the way you'll hunt!"

I don't run at all when I hunt. ;-)

I think strength training is VERY important for mountain hunting and overall fitness in general, as well as injury prevention. We don't all have guides with horses to (hopefully) pack out our meat. Packing out a bull elk will be, without a doubt, the most physically demanding thing we will do on any elk hunt. It is what limits how deep we go for those of us who hunt on our own and will be packing out whatever we kill on our back. Especially, if we are solo.

I think when many people think of "strength training", they are thinking "body building". They are two completely different things. My lifting sessions are exactly what JLS suggested.....lighter weights, high reps, and short breaks. Many of the workouts will have sprints on the treadmill, elliptical, or rowing machine in between lifting circuits.

That said, running is better than 50 percent of my training and in the few months just prior to my hunt, it is more like 75% of my training. This is what builds my endurance and keeps me moving up the mountain day after day.

29-Nov-14
Topic: Elk fitness resolutions...

My resolution is: #1. Rehab my shoulder so I can pull my bow starting in March. This is due to a horse mishap and subsequent shoulder surgery. #2. Get in top condition by crosstraining to achieve overall fitness with particular emphasis on leg strength and cardio as the hunt approaches.

I lift lighter weights with more reps for my upper body, core, and legs. This simply helps my overall fitness and reduce the chance of injury. Then I concentrate on leg strength/cardio by using a revolving stair machine and go to spinning classes. As I get older I try to stay away from high impact exercises.

This method of conditioning has worked well for me.

29-Nov-14
Midwest,

I helped pack out an elk in CO for mn_archer a few years ago and as he will freely tell you, I kicked his azz despite being twice his age and being a skinny little $h!t to boot.

1,200 vertical feet straight uphill in the sun on a hot day and I got back to the truck way before he did while carrying a full load, including all my hunting gear, bow, and a hindquarter.

I dumped my load at the truck, loaded up my pack with fluids to replenish what he and his dad and his uncle had run out of, then hiked almost a mile back down the trail before I ran into them. They'd all left their loads at the bottom of the climb and we had to go back the next day to get them.

Michael's in darned good shape, btw, but he didn't understand fluid and electrolyte management.

Cardio, cardio, cardio. Leg strength, leg strength, leg strength. Endurance, endurance, endurance.

Had enough? ;^)

29-Nov-14
For those that are willing to look beyond their preconceived "muscle beach" notions of strength training, there is a good amount of research that details the benefits of strength training. These benefits are recognized in ENDURANCE athletes from the amateur level to the highly competitive, and include increased economy, increased force of muscle contraction, reduced incidence of injury, etc.

Good luck to all in your training.

29-Nov-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Which will help you get up this 3,700' vertical ascent?

Cardio and leg strength or big biceps?

29-Nov-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Or up here?

29-Nov-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Or here?

29-Nov-14
Don't doubt it one bit, Kyle. You do what works for you. You will put more effort into running because you love to do it.

I believe in a more balanced approach for overall fitness and to keep me hunting the mountains for many years to come. I love to run, love to lift, love to do group workouts with my friends, love to do it all. I'm not a super gifted runner but I've won my age division in the last 3 races I've entered....two half marathons and one 5K. And I rarely run more than 3 times per week....15 to 20 miles total.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who hate running. Many of them will say they don't run because it's hard on your knees, etc., which you and I both know is baloney. There are other guys who don't like to lift so they say stuff like it is only for looks and does you no good in the mountains which I know is baloney.

I want guys to do something they like and stick with for the rest of their lives whether it be running, lifting, biking, hiking, swimming, rowing, or a combination of some or all of them. They will all be beneficial to the mountain hunter if they give it their all and just a little bit more.

I know what works for me and I guarantee you I will keep up with you on the mountain....if not just a little bit ahead. ;-) There is more than one way to skin an elk.

29-Nov-14
Who said anything about big biceps Kyle? Go back and re-read all of my posts and you tell me where I said to work on big biceps? I emphasized back, shoulders, core, and legs. All of these muscle groups will help you in the mountains, and help you as a bowhunter.

My whole point all along is that strength training and cardio training are not mutually exclusive. You can do workouts that develop both.

29-Nov-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Or here, when your camp is at the bottom, 2,700 vertical feet below from where I took the photo?

29-Nov-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Or here, where you spent most of the day to get here from near the river at the bottom of the photo, then pack a Mountain Goat back down to the bottom for 7 1/2 hours, 6 1/2 hours of which were in the dark?

29-Nov-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
But this one is the best of all.

Last Tuesday.

A measly one mile hike up a mere 500' climb.

Three hours later, the dream of a lifetime came true!

29-Nov-14
Kyle, how many times did you run this?

The Western States ® 100-Mile Endurance Run is the world’s oldest and most prestigious 100-mile trail race.

Starting in Squaw Valley, California near the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics and ending 100.2 miles later in Auburn, California, Western States, in the decades since its inception in 1974, has come to represent one of the ultimate endurance tests in the world.

Following the historic Western States Trail, runners climb more than 18,000 feet and descend nearly 23,000 feet before they reach the finish line at Placer High School in Auburn. In the miles between Squaw Valley and Auburn, runners experience the majestic high country beauty of Emigrant Pass and the Granite Chief Wilderness, the crucible of the canyons of the California gold country, a memorable crossing of the ice-cold waters of the main stem of the Middle Fork of the American River, and, during the latter stages, the historic reddish-brown-colored trails that led gold-seeking prospectors and homesteading pilgrims alike to the welcoming arms of Auburn.

29-Nov-14
DL,

Ten times.

My best time was 20:31.

30-Nov-14
Get fit, and get your mind right. Your mind will let you down long before many other things. Weak mind, marathons mean jack.

30-Nov-14
You know Kyle, none of those photos phase me even one little bit. I'd post of up some of my own, but I have no burning need to be right.

Heck, even Scott Jurek espouses the benefits of strength training. But you must be the only one here who is right, weightlifting is only for big biceps and looking good on the beach.

Peace out.

30-Nov-14
Oh well, I tried to get it back on track....

Bill in Michigan, Great Goal! I used to run a lot until one day 10 yrs ago my hip ached... My hip was officially done from 30 years of endurance running and I had to have hip replacement surgery. My hip is awesome now but I rarely run (i do sneak a run in occasionally but don'e tell my orthopedist).

As I get older my goal is to be in shape come september. Chasing elk is what motivates me to get in the gym.

NvaGvUp, there are many ways to skin a cat, its good that you've found a way that works for you.

30-Nov-14
I wonder if there is a correlation between running marathons and switching to a gun when things get tough( ' :

30-Nov-14
Coincidentally, I just got a few new slides from Dr. Sorg that he wants to use in is portion of the Sheep Shape seminar.

One cites recommendations from Ron Gabriel, MD, author of A Sheep Hunter's Diary." He says,

"Avoid heavy weight training. Do chin ups, push ups and pull ups instead."

and,

"Backpack 4-5 times a week on your local hills."

30-Nov-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
Kyle please give it a rest how come I never trained one once for Canmore many say it so tough of a hunt you yourself didn't get it done up there .. Bow hunting is about shooting skills that's the only training I did for Canmore I did hunt elk in Latir wilderness for two weeks prior !!!

Yes train for health reason but please one dosent need to run a race to be a good elk hunter !!!

30-Nov-14
Midwest u would never catch me rolling around in mud with a bunch of men in sandals and shorts yikes . Get some ladies in the mud and im there !!!

30-Nov-14
Well I appeciate the variety of passionate insights here. I think we can all agree that pure weight lifting has less to do with overall mountain fitness than strong legs, lungs, and core. For me lungs have been a limiter hence a renewed focus on that.

The Increased mental fortitude from traing for a full marathon will be a boost for me on my DIY hunt. One surely died not need to train and accomplish a marathon to be a successful hunter, but how can it hurt (injuries not withstanding)?

30-Nov-14
Bill,

My fitness resolution for the year is to continue a mix of Insanity and bird hunting through January. In January I'll up my running and to a trail run in Hells Canyon in March. In March, I'll get my mountain bike back out and hit the trails and ride hard all through the summer. My plan is a 50 mile mountain bike race if travel budgets allow it.

I may also do a 50k trail run in Idaho, again depending on travel budgets, where I decide to hunt elk in September, and how much backpacking I get in with my kids. Last year we didn't get in any backpacking trips together and I have vowed that won't happen again.

30-Nov-14
Bill- You have already run 13.1, what I enjoyed while marathon training, especially the first one was when my weekly long run, (usually a Sunday) would be longer than I had ever run before in my life. So at some point your long run will be 14 miles, then the next week 15 and so on for approximately the next two months. Each week you accomplish something that was at one time impossible. This will make many of life's other challenges such as work or relationships easier to deal with. This is the great thing about Marathon training, every week you leave your comfort zone of what you know you can do and enter into the unknown of the additional mile, succeed and conquer self doubt. Depending on your plan, you will most likely be doing these long runs alone. No one will know if you stopped to rest, no one will know if you walked, and no one will know if you actually did the whole run or came up short. No one will know except you. There will be times during a long run that will physically and mentally challenge you like you have NEVER been challenged before (Especially IF YOU are running Hills and Headwinds towards the end of a 18-20 mile run). The pain and difficulty will be intense, and all you have to do to make it stop and be easy again is quit. And no one will see you quit. No one except yourself. I see incredible parallels between a DIY Elk hunt in the mountains that will require mental fortitude and Marathon Training. I am getting ready for a short run today and can't wait to get out and stretch the legs. I also look forward to some updates to your progress and would be willing to give any advice or swap running stories if you like. Best of luck fellow hunter and runner!!!! May the hills always be steep and long and may the wind always be in your face...

30-Nov-14
It's tough to arrow a ram when you don't even SEE a legal ram in 14 days of hunting.

30-Nov-14
Nicely said exs!

30-Nov-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
"Avoid heavy weight training. Do chin ups, push ups and pull ups instead."

...and if you read any of the posts JLS and I put up, heavy weight lifting is the opposite of what we suggested. And BTW, chin ups, push ups, and pull ups are ALL upper body exercises!

city.....you have no idea. :-)

30-Nov-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
See you there, Louis!

30-Nov-14

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
WOW this is like a rage thread!

30-Nov-14
Bill good luck on the Az tag but Az isn't the hardest terrain to hunt !

Whats very important is to maintain a good healthy fit shape all year long , I see guys blow up on the off season, and then kill themselves trying to get into shape for a upcoming hunt ! Also I stress diet intake is a big factor on overall health which most folks neglect .

For a solo elk hunter with no pack animals he needs to have some strength behind him . just breaking down a elk alone can be a chore, then at least 5 to 7 trips out with meat and gear on ones back !

Navgivup This past sept I was lucky to kill two bulls in sept I don't think I ever want two bull tags in my pocket , broke both bulls down and packed out without any help . how would a guy that didn't have some strength training do on this ordeal could a guy that only trained for cardio do it . I bet if a guy only did cardio training he could run fast and get help !!!!:>

30-Nov-14
I have been looking at this thread and have a question. Why make it an elk or whatever animal hunt resolution?? Calling it an elk hunt or whatever animal hunt resolution means once that is done it's back to a less healthy lifewtyle

Why not think of it as a lifetime fitness/lifestyle choice? If you look at it that way the rest of your life will be easier, you will be healthier, and your family will benefit more from your choice!! Heck, you might even live longer and be around for your family for a lot more years if you do!!

30-Nov-14
Elmer,

Mine is more a yearly goal resolution. Kind of a fitness event bucket list per se? Last year I knocked a major goal off for running, and this year I want to focus more on the mountain biking.

I agree 110% on the lifestyle choice. There is no true off season, more just a change in my current training.

30-Nov-14
6'0" 154 lbs here.

Years of backpacking with a full pack 15-20 miles a day under my belt.

Never had trouble packing elk out even when I had to go uphill.

I don't do any upper body exercises other than drawing my bow.

I've left a lot of buff/fitness type guys in the dust though, with and without packs.

My exercise routine is >1000 miles a year of hiking x 15 yrs.

I bet most of you could beat me arm wrestling, but I've never seen anyone keep up with me in the mountains yet.

I'm with Kyle on this one.

01-Dec-14
Amazing amount of misinformation in this thread. There are several professional websites for those serious about maintaining strength and endurance. A lot of professional advice can be found on this site, especially under the training sub forms.

www.tnation.com

01-Dec-14
Amazing amount of misinformation in this thread. There are several professional websites for those serious about maintaining strength and endurance. A lot of professional advice can be found on this site, especially under the training sub forms.

www.tnation.com

01-Dec-14

www.tnation.com

01-Dec-14
"Whats very important is to maintain a good healthy fit shape all year long , I see guys blow up on the off season, and then kill themselves trying to get into shape for a upcoming hunt ! Also I stress diet intake is a big factor on overall health which most folks neglect ."

Agree 100% with city. Make it a lifestyle. Do whatever you like to do to stay in shape....doesn't matter what it is as long as you keep after it year round. In time, and after enough mountain hunts, you'll figure out what works for YOU. Just do SOMETHING. The older you get, the more important it becomes.

01-Dec-14
Agreed AZ is not a mountain hunt but a tag squandered because of being too tired to get over the next ridge etc is perhaps a risk of not being in shape (mentally and physically).

WRT 'why not make it a lifestyle vs a hunt goal'. Since I have annual hunts to plan from December till September it's pretty much one and the same for me.

01-Dec-14
Ike do u bone out the elk before packing it out ? don't u usually hunt with a partner ?

What do u think a elk quarter weighs ?

01-Dec-14
For the record, I started in January - March with a round of p90X3. I will be doing the same but substituting runs for some of the routine.

There are an awful lot of pull/push ups with TBM's agility training to mix in with this program. I think its a great add on to a running schedule.

So who's in for the tough mudder? Are there hot female rescue staff on site, cuz I feel a cramp coming on lol?

01-Dec-14
I boned everything out clean. Took 4 trips to get all meat, horns, no hide, and gear out. Medium size elk. Hard to say how much wt each load weighed but last load was twice as heavy as the other 3. Couldn't have went uphill...no way...uphill was not an option.

01-Dec-14

IdyllwildArcher's MOBILE embedded Photo

My dad has a bum hip so I do the packing. Last year he took out the head and I took out everything else.

01-Dec-14

This year's trip when we went in he brought his sleeping bag and clothes

01-Dec-14
Kudos for getting it done Steve. That's why I'll mix in pack training in along the way- 30-50lb loads on rough trails. A buddy and I were doing 10 miles a pop this year.

01-Dec-14

Bill in MI's MOBILE embedded Photo
Bill in MI's MOBILE embedded Photo

01-Dec-14

And I carried everything else.

01-Dec-14
I don't bone them out but I cut the hoof off below the joint.

I'd guess a ham weighs 60-70 lbs.

01-Dec-14
My friend Kevin has done the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim in almost a sprint, climbed Kilimanjaro and was disappointed it wasn't harder, and this year climbed Aconcagua in Argentina, which I think is the highest peak outside of the Himalayas at 22841'. He's a great inspiration.

Nick, Kevin wants to join in on the Tough Mudder. That ok?

02-Dec-14
Heck yeah.....mudder will be pretty tame for Kevin.

"Are there hot female rescue staff on site, cuz I feel a cramp coming on lol?"

There was one area of the event where you had to carry a partner down the trail, then switch halfway. We had an odd number of teammates, so they have volunteers there for people to carry. Of course, our odd man out picks up a very hot, young blonde. Unfortunately for him, he didn't get to carry her the way he wanted. ;-)

02-Dec-14

Ike I aint never seen a paved trail like that were I chase them elk ! this is a shortcut out of my elk woods its 1000ft up I pass mt goats on the way out ! Plus sat bulls are a lot lighter to pack out :> hehehe

02-Dec-14
I wish I would have chased elk when I was in my 20 even 30 s I was a late bloomer for elk . Bill 40 is a good age best of luck on your fitness goal , Remember the mind is the strongest asset we can use !!

02-Dec-14
City that looks like a cake walk compared to what I packed my elk through...we're talking waste deep bushes hands that reached out and grabbed a at you and trip you up...clean walking is easy.

02-Dec-14
We got 2 lane hyways ruffer than some of the trails on here!!! Sadly..that ain't for from the truth.

02-Dec-14
We got 2 lane hyways ruffer than some of the trails on here!!! Sadly..that ain't for from the truth.

19-Dec-14
City, But the mind sure does better when we have our legs under us :-)

19-Dec-14
I was not impressed at the tough mudder I attended this past fall. By far most people there were not physically fit enough to really even be there. They mostly walked and stood around in front of every obstacle. The general level of fitness of the vast majority of people was a joke. It would have been tough if you really wanted to be serious about the event becuase of all the knuckleheads that were there in the way.

19-Dec-14
Straight Arrow....that's why you go the early heat.

19-Dec-14
I will run my first race (half) on aug 1, perfect timing for elk season...

I do weighted hikes, runs, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, dips, and leg lifts. Maybe its my (ex-)Army mentality, but I'll never "lift weights" in a gym...

That being said, nowhere in this thread has anyone said that bench press or dumbbell curls will do anything for leg strength...

Im not a doctor, but I think if you lift weights, WITH YOUR LEGS, you will probably gain leg strength...

Kyle, I admire you a lot for your accomplishments in races, as well as your conservation contributions (fellow WSF Life member here) but I have noticed lately you sure do let your emotion overpower your reason when it comes to bow site threads. No one said only do upper body weight lifting, but you somehow gathered that's all that was meant.

I don't know everything there is to know, but in my Army days I've seen a 6'4'' 250lb bodybuilder run 10 miles in :59, and his only cardio was in the gym lifting weights, I've also seen a 5'4'' 135lb guy run a 20k sub 2:00 with a 55lb rucksack and he trained similar to how you suggest. The point is different methods work for different people, these two soldiers had one thing in common (besides their uniform) and that was a NO QUIT attitude...

We used to say, "It's mind over matter, and if you don't mind, it won't matter!" that in my opinion, is the MOST important factor...

20-Dec-14
HIIT protocols can accomplish both strength and cardio training simultaneously.

20-Dec-14
Best of luck with your resolution Bill.

20-Dec-14
Thx man getting pumped. Been working 70-78 hour weeks this month and have not made time to work out. January after my Iowa hunt will bring the pain.

20-Dec-14
HIIT training is what my coach had me do in high school for track. Turned out sub 4.5 minute miles and a 9:31 2 mile. HIIT is making a comeback after 30 years lying dormant.

21-Dec-14
For me, I just need to train my legs hard.But, I work building houses/construction all day.That alone builds my core and upper body strength enough for an elk hunt.I do a lot of treadmill miles before work then will hike some mountains with my pack loaded as my legs get stronger.I add weight as my strength goes up.Basically, I think the training for each of us is more individual.Someone that pushes a pencil around a desk all day would need more weight workouts then me.One thing I have to learn is to eat better foods Cityhunter,I learned a lot from your picture of your climb out.Says a lot about the way you elk hunt and why your successful.I definitely need to up my training to do that.TBM,I know exactly what your talking about with the thick country some parts of Montana have combined with steep.Place I hunt out there is the toughest spot I've hunted elk Anyway, train the way your body needs and the terrain you hunt dictates

21-Dec-14
Mixedbag,

Walking on a treadmill with your pack is okay for a workout, but you'll derive much more real world benefit from doing step ups onto a bench while wearing a weighted pack.

22-Dec-14
I don't do the treadmill with a pack.I do my mountain hikes with a pack.When I first start going for the year, I do about 5 miles on a treadmill at highest slope before heading off for work.After a couple weeks, I'll add in some afternoon hikes with my pack down/up some steep mountain trails by my house.That does sound like a good workout when its raining out and I don't feel like getting wet.some mornings I'll do the revolving stepper with the treadmill

22-Dec-14
What would be nice is to get to hunt the mountains more. Just 3 times a year but at different times would help. I lost right at 15 pounds on the elk hunt.

23-Dec-14
I quit reading about 100 posts back, but just wanted to chime in and see if we couldn't get a few more pics of those mud run girls? They are so inspiring!

23-Dec-14
south i agree more mud more women a little jello and u have my full attention !!!

23-Dec-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

23-Dec-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

23-Dec-14
excellent !!!

23-Dec-14
The purpose is to always get better.

So this Spring, I'll squeeze in a half and a full and plenty of time at the gym and hope I show up day one ready to do my job next Fall and help people fulfill their life-long dreams.

Down 19 lbs after Tajikistan, this is the best shape I've ever been in going into Christmas. Just have to work through some injuries.

23-Dec-14
"Down 19 lbs after Tajikistan,..."

Man, there's got to be some good stories there!

24-Dec-14
Nick, are those our new team mates?

24-Dec-14
More 12 o clockers on free beer night.

24-Dec-14
Bill, only if they make it through the try outs! ;-)

24-Dec-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Body Fit class....great winter workouts with great friends! Loads of fun.

24-Dec-14
The amount of "egos" being laid out on the table and measured in this thread is laughable...

As is saying a boned out elk takes 7 trips to pack out. Or running to the point of destroying your knees is paramount for elk fitness. Or no training is necessary since I did it with no training. Or strength training is as important as cardio for MOST people.

Stay active, protect your joints, and keep those lungs burning no matter what kind of exercise you do. If you aren't drenched in sweat you need to step it up. And quit arguing so much on which way is the best way.

24-Dec-14
I'm starting to think that Tough Mudding is the way to go...

24-Dec-14
"As is saying a boned out elk takes 7 trips to pack out. "

Only took me 4...the legond lives on!!!

24-Dec-14
Jesus H Keeeerist Nick, I'm in for mudder with that last picture.

24-Dec-14

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I don't care what people say that electricity hurts.

24-Dec-14
If you just want to laugh until your side hurts,Google tough mudders electro shock therapy. And I'll say it again that electricity hurts.

24-Dec-14
Scrappy....third jolt knocked me right on my face. Way more powerful than I expected! One of our guys lost a shoe in the middle and had to stop to pull it out of the mud. Good thing it's at the end so you can have a beer and watch the rest of the mudders come through.

24-Dec-14
Since we're way off topic, I will go a step forward. The typical "American" chick in spandex is about to make me vomit! Am I the only one sick of the man looking chicks and the lack of feminism displayed?

You can bitch about Obama, Democrats, Republicans, crossbows, compounds, Egos etc, my only bitch is American Women. Where did we go wrong???

24-Dec-14
If you consider the outfit that the girl holding her head is wearing to be spandex,I would say there is no lack of feminism displayed there and you probably are the only one sick of looking at it ..... You could be off the hook if she's not American though.

24-Dec-14
I'm going to do the Moab trail half marathon. That's it. I like to suffer when I chase elk....

02-Jan-15
Well the party is over. I haven't worked out hard since last Sept, and I was a stealthy 210lbs then. I was off most of OCT and Nov hunting. Was having some problems with my knee (resolved now), and let my diet slip (lots of beer and wings). When I did train is was mostly running, and weight training, with emphasis on my legs. My weight is at 218 now, and I am looking to get Mtn fit! There are many different philosophy's here and I think many of them are on track, but some seem overkill, and some seem to lack focus. My goal or resolution is to build a Mtn Chassis. A pack mule of sorts. I don't want to run a 50K marathon, or look like scarecrow! 6 min miles are worthless to me! I want to lean out to about 200lbs, but still have a strong upper body, tight core, and enough endurance to get me where I want to be. I agree that muscle mass is a hindrance in the mountains, and also believe that it strains the body to feed it. However running fast to the fight is great but being able to kick ass when get there is important too. So how do intend on getting there. Run, hike, and intensive calisthenics. Some weights will be involve but only to add resistance an build endurance. I believe that Flexibility and stretching help reduce injuries so there will be a heavy focus there. My diet at first will be designed to drop weight slowly, then it will be enhanced to support my training. Most important I am going to work on the mental aspect of hunting (train my mind my body will follow). I Would like to become a more intense hunter. I've never hunted solo but am planning on doing so this year, so mental focus will be key. I just hope that it all equals success.

02-Jan-15
Never done a tough mudder but seen the guys in the gym with the t-shirts. I'm not impressed! There must be different levels in these tough mudders. someone told me that if they can't do an obstacle that they just go around it???? Or often walk most of the course. Now when I watch the crossfit games I see some extremely fit athletes who I'm sure would kick my ass on the mountain. Good combination of strength and endurance IMO!

03-Jan-15
100k mountain race? Marathons? Half Marathons? The half marathon is probably ok for you, but 100k and marathons are generally not good for your body. Not saying those that are passionate about them should stop-life is short, you should do what makes you happy/ satisfied/quiets your demons.

But for elk hunting, in all terrains (even your big bad high alpine hunts, where all these he-man better than you guys hunt, all you need to do is walk, put a pack on a couple months before the hunt, and watch what you eat so that you can loose some weight. You should be up to 3-5 miles a day for a couple months prior, and mix in a 8-10 mile once in a while. And if you can take your family on a high altitude vacation in July or August where you trout fish, hike and stalk in on elk, I have found that to be really helpful. Be healthy and feeling good prior, and enjoy the beauty of the mountains. If you want to lift weights, great-unless you are 22-32 and genetically predisposed to put on significant mass & weight when lifting, it's none issue. Older guys, just lose some fat: )-I'm older and need to lose some, so not throwing stones: )….

Some great elk hunters I know drink too much, and a couple are smokers. In their late 40's and 50's-but they are western guys so altitude is not an issue for them. Not recommended, but just saying…Finally, those young gals need to put some clothes on for gosh sakes!

19-Jan-15
I find sprints mixed into endurance workouts to be very helpful.

Especially slow burpees as an endurance workout. With periods of sprints (regular pace) mixed in. Try burpees for an hour even at a snails pace.

19-Jan-15
HGH !!!!! :>

29-Mar-15
Time to update.

Ran my target race for the year yesterday. Trail race 50K.

Terrain is pretty mild. Trail is single track with some crushed rock, sand and a few water mud spots. Hills are pretty mild, no more than 30' climbs, but plenty of them. Entire course is runnable, and I did.

Last year I would have won by over 30 minutes. This year, the word was out and some really fast guys showed up. 12 people finished under 5 hours. But I still finished at 4:25:51. Pace average 8:30 per mile/ 7 mph avg for 31 miles. Good enough for 3rd OA. Smaller race but no regrets. Very happy.

11-May-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Bill and I had a blast....great team!

11-May-15
It was a lot of fun but tough and muddy lol.

I have to say I'm a tad bit sore haha

I had to buy new shoes as I lost one in electroshock therapy. Apparently a shock induced leg twitch is a powerful thing.

On to the marathon...

Bill

11-May-15
Nice pic Nick! Looks like everyone got the memo on what to wear.

Ran my first half marathon in two years on Saturday. My training consisted of running when I wanted, as fast as I wanted, and as far as I wanted.

For the race, I went out a little faster than planned, but my endurance training allowed me to hold pace. Mile 13 was my fastest mile and kept foot on accelerator until finish line.

1:28:26. 60th out of 4774 runners. For a 49 year old geezer, I will take it.

11-May-15
Way to go, Z!

Bill, We're all hobbling around the office this morning. This one was much tougher than last years in Minneapolis.

11-May-15
Wow, great time Brian!

Two weeks until our 24 hour mountain bike race. Way off my running this year, but putting a lot more miles on the bike, and some more time in the weight room. My legs are definitely stronger this year than in years past.

11-May-15
Okay Nick, that's enough pictures of middle ages guys. I want to see the hotties in spandex!

11-May-15
Jason, There was one in our heat that was spectacular....hopefully our Michigan/Indiana brothers got a couple shots of her....WOW!

11-May-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Not our mudder, but hey...

11-May-15
Jason

I will be looking forward to a report after your mtn bike race.

My running is less than in years past and I am just fine with it. I have had some good race times and have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else.

I have added more backpack/strength training as well as core work in the past 1+ year. My 2015 race day weight was ~ 8 pounds heavier than my marathon PR year (2012) and I suspect most of that is muscle. (At least that is what I tell myself!)

Nick- If those girls run, I suspect they are suffering from black eyes! LOL!

11-May-15
I'll tell you what the ladies on the course were badass.

If you're wanting to make friends with outdoorsy fun loving fit women, I'd imagine this would be the place...of course you'd have some competition too.

PS Nick, you did NOT forward that photo to me. Why you holding out bro?

11-May-15
that's the way to do it Z! I love it when the afterburner kicks in and your feeling great and kicking a$$. It makes all those workouts worth it.

To be among the top finishers and for sure beat everyone my age or older is always my goal. An hour and thirty minute race is good exercise!

11-May-15
Got on the elliptical today for 30 min. Then did a whopping 5 pushups and 20 situps.

Think I pulled something

11-May-15
Here's a novel idea: do whatever works for you! I'm not going to denigrate the weight guys just because I rarely do it. Neither the runners - I love running but it sure doesn't love me. When it comes to what you do hunting, most of it is hike. Truth be told, over 90% of us aren't going to enjoy the sweet agony of hefting a heavy pack full of elk meat this or any year. Why is that? Some of it surely is a lack of being able to get to where the animals hang out, or chase them when you do get there. If I had to identify one activity that works the best for me, it is backpacking at altitude with a heavy pack. And as far as prepping for that, hiking in hills with a heavy pack. KISS

11-May-15
Thanks Nick, THAT is what I was wanting to see. Keep 'em coming....

11-May-15
Damm you guys. I was going to take the night off, sit on the couch and have a cold beer. Then, I went and opened this thread. Cold beer is going to have to wait.

12-May-15

JLS's Link
The link is a strength training program that I have been doing this year.

I was doing some research this year on strength training and how to incorporate it into a training program when your primary focus is endurance events. All of the current research is pointing to heavy weight, low reps as the best bang for your buck and best increases in your performance.

I found this workout and have been doing it three days a week for the past month. I will scale back to two days a week through the remainder of the summer after my 24 hour race. It's a hard workout and can be done in about 35-40 minutes. I did change it a bit by adding pullups on days 1 and 3.

It doesn't leave you so wiped that you cannot do other stuff. Yesterday I lifted in the AM with my wife, then went for a 10 mile mountain bike ride in the PM. I am heading out the door in a few minutes today for a run.

It will be interesting when I hit the hills this summer to see if there is any appreciable difference in performance relative to last year, which was very heavily biased towards trail running, with some biking and body weight workouts.

Z, I'll post a rundown of the 24 hour race post facto.

12-May-15
at 65 next week I am still at it, e eryday except on Saturdays........

60 minutes of Swim Fit,,,,, I go to the pool at the YMCA.

I got advice from a para rescue vet from the USAF, and everything can be done in the water, hard, but it works all the muscles

You can get their workouts on the internet, plus military fit . com

Then 3 days a week its 45 minutes of weights included

Each work out I do 2 miles on the inside track.....

Twice a week, its a hill climb on the ski hill

I still hunt slow, need days to rest, and legs always burn, but I feel great//////

I would not compare to most of you guys, I am not even close, but I can hunt by myself, and have confidence, and that makes me feel good

12-May-15
Good for you razorhead!

12-May-15
I used to do the pack with weight work out but on the mountain I was sucking wind for 1/2 the hunt. Legs and back were fine. I need more cardio.

I have started jogging again, working up to being able to go a longer distance. I'm a big dude so not like I used to be in the Marines with 6 minute miles. Finally worked out my calf problems.......a roller works the knots out great.

Thanks for the link Razor....going to incorporate some of those into my weekly work out.

12-May-15
I am not far behind you RazorHead....65 is the new 45!

12-May-15
Speed uphill hiking with the pack. Monitor your pulse, take it up as high as you can maintain, or even do intervals.

13-May-15
Midwest - You and every friend you posted of the female species always will have an open invitation to my deer camp!!!!!!!!!

13-May-15
Guys who believe bulking up and adding upper body muscle is what's called for when the real fitness need calls for cardio, endurance, leg strength and the ability to go all day, every day, make me laugh and cry at the same time.

18-May-15

JLS's Link
Z,

Here is a video of the start of last year's race. It is a Lemans start, so you run first and then get on the bike.

The forecast is looking just about perfect for the race, low 70's in the day and mid 40s at night, with a chance of t-storms each afternoon. Last year the dust made nighttime visibility tough, kind of like riding in the fog.

19-May-15
At the library today, checking out some books, and saw a book in the fitness section, US Navy Seal workouts, train like a seal......

It shows just how simple, and very little equipment they use, but man do they ratchet up those simple workouts, cool book......

I am going to read it this week, while at the cabin, resting from all the trout I am going to catch

20-May-15
NvaGvUp, bulking up is a completely different aspect of fitness when compared to strength training. Strength training increases muscle fiber density, bone density, and strengthens tendons and ligaments. It also strengthens the posterior chain, all of which will help protect you from injury. You don't get bulked up from strength training. I have been doing it for two years, my start weight was 185, my squat went from 135 to 365, my weight now is 190. You need to educate yourself on fitness, your remarks are complely off base.

25-May-15

JLS's Link
Well, this year's 24 hour race is in the books. It was a very fun weekend. Our team came in 7th out of 29 in our division, with 20 laps in 24 hrs 18 minutes.

The course was different this year, with more single track added in. None of it is highly technical, it's a lot of really fast to fast intermediate single track with a few really technical sections of rocks/hills.

The only terrifying moment of the race was on my night lap during a long fire road descent. My rear tire hit a big rock, which threw me into a really bad line of deep and loose gravel which I couldn't steer out of because of the speed I was going. I had no choice but to ride it out, firmly convinced I was doomed to an epic wipeout at the hard left turn at the bottom. Disc brakes used very judiciously worked and I escaped serious road rash.

I did the start lap at noon, one at 7:15 PM, one at 2:20 AM, and my last at 9:50 AM. These are all very fast rides. My average HR for the first lap was 167 over an hour and thirteen minute lap. The subsequent laps were not as difficult as the riders disperse greatly and passing is not nearly as frequent.

No squats or deadlifts this week!

25-May-15
Nice work, Jason!

25-May-15
Nicely done Jason! Nice to see that you survived without a scratch and nothing to stop you from hitting the hills in the fall.

25-May-15
Great job. Staying injury free between now and my fall hunts is my goal.

I think my marathon is slightly out of reach. For a variety of reasons I think I'm going to switch my registration to a half instead. Disappointed but I'm still in better shape then last year. BMI has come way down.

Keep at it guys.

25-May-15
I'm walking up and down hills, stretching, light weights and shooting almost everyday. Everything is good!! Find your own level and push it a bit. Good luck! C

25-May-15

BowCrossSkin's embedded Photo
BowCrossSkin's embedded Photo
Lifting Crossfit shed hunting. Hiked last three days 8 hrs a day around 24 miles. With help found this guys drops.

05-Jun-15
Well, tomorrow is my day. Full marathon starts at 6:00 AM

Nervous as all get out as sciatic pain has crept into my reality. Nervous I wont hit my goal, nervous of injury, nervous of letting myself down.

But, I have a lot of motivation including some really great tags this year and with the passing of my Grandfather this week, I'll be dedicating this run for my him.

05-Jun-15
Bill,

Good luck and run well!

Run your own race and don't get caught up in the excitement of the first few miles.

I look forward to hearing about your race!

Kyle

05-Jun-15
Have fun Bill. Relax. Know this is what you trained for. Tomorrow is a victory lap.

05-Jun-15
G'luck, Bill! Let us know how it goes.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

05-Jun-15
Good luck Bill.

06-Jun-15
I made it guys! I actually ran 26.66 miles due to a wrong turn haha. Came in with the extra jaunt 6:03 ish. With some p90x and running I'll be chasing down an elk, a mule deer, and a couple of Whitetails this fall. Thx for everyone's support and contribution to this thread.

06-Jun-15
Congratulations Bill!

Is it September yet?

06-Jun-15
With an AZ bow elk tag in hand, September can't come soon enough

06-Jun-15
Congratulations Bill!

07-Jun-15
Bill, let us know how long before you can walk normally.

07-Jun-15
If it was Halloween and I had a tin man costume, I'd be very convincing

07-Jun-15
Just little challenge: Army PT test 2 minutes max effort push up 2 minutes max effort sit up 2 mile run

Ranger 5 mile minimum 40 min or less

12 mile road march 35 lb pack in boots

All in three hours or under

This is a great test and yes I have done this but cannot even come close now.

PM if you give it a shot

07-Jun-15
Bill in MI. Congrats. That's a hell of an accomplishment and you even overachieved.

Now, where's the pics of the girls that ran the race. You know, like midwest posted.... ;)

07-Jun-15
Sorry Bill no girl pics : (

07-Jun-15
I made a few pace buddies that were quite cute. Chatting passed some of the time too. No pics though haha

08-Jun-15
Congratulations Bill! Relish your accomplishment. The pain will fade, but no one can ever take away what you accomplished.

14-Jun-15

Vids's embedded Photo
Vids's embedded Photo
Just completed my biggest goal for 2015 today. Ran a trail marathon (my first marathon ever) with 3,500 feet of elevation gain, topping out at 12,400 feet near Fairplay, CO. Still plenty of snow this year so we had to climb over a few snowdrifts and a lot of it was a wet mess.

Feels good to be done though, now I can switch to hiking with a loaded pack and just maintain my fitness until fall.

14-Jun-15
That's hardcore Vids. Nice job. I'm Staying with the p90x3 and sub 10 mile runs. I'll be good to go come September too.

15-Jun-15
Congrats, Vids!

• Sitka Gear