Mark Watkins 07-Dec-14
gulfcoast 08-Dec-14
Paul@thefort 12-Dec-14
Paul@thefort 27-Dec-14
Turk 27-Dec-14
28-Nov-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I had planned on shot gunning ducks for the next few weeks but with the very cold front that came through Colorado and the mid west, the majority of duck passed by. But that cold front did bring the geese in early to the Ft. Collins area and even the local geese are in larger numbers.

Here are a few "yard hopper" geese that I will be hunting next week.

28-Nov-14

I drove to the back of the hay field to set up my Dark Horse blind on the edge, with some tree and shrub cover near by.

28-Nov-14
Awesome! Good luck Paul!!!

Mark

28-Nov-14

Like last year, I added some cut leaf camo to the roof to blend in more. This aids in diminishing the suns reflection.

28-Nov-14

and additional camo netting to the front.

28-Nov-14

Added some branches to complete the setup to hold down the netting and next Monday I will add some local grass to blend in more.

It was 69 degrees and Chase the lab seemed bored with the operation but I know once we are hunting, he is ready to GO.

Next Monday I will return in the morning and set out 2 doz big foot goose decoys within 20 yards of the blind.

Hopefully we will have some action as there is a lot of geese in the area.

28-Nov-14

Here are a few pictures from last year's hunt.

28-Nov-14

28-Nov-14

Not sure if I can improve on this day last season, but worth trying.

I might try with the recurve bow this time but I know the compound is dialed in and effective.

Stay tuned for more action from the goose blind.

My best, Pau

28-Nov-14
Awesome...looking forward to this!

28-Nov-14
Hey Adam, Thanks. Check out the two V strings of geese in the upper right corner of the above picture heading from rt to left.

This is the first time I noticed them. Lots of geese around last year as there will be this year. Only three days until Monday morning.

Paul

29-Nov-14
Good luck Paul! I used to have a ladder stand in a cedar tree in the middle of a field. While hunting deer I killed a of of geese from that stand.

29-Nov-14
Good luck and have fun.

29-Nov-14
What broadhead are you using, Paul.

I assume it's when the geese are the ground?

29-Nov-14
Paul@thefort as in Fort Collins? I finally get it.........my daughter just moved there in August.

29-Nov-14
Good luck Paul! Looking forward to the results!

29-Nov-14
Have fun!

29-Nov-14
ohhh I am jealous! good luck. Kevin

29-Nov-14

Michael, the same BH I use for turkeys, NAP Shock Force mech. and yes, on the ground in the decoys out to 30 yards. Usual shots are 10-25 yards.

JJB, CSU ie, daughter?

29-Nov-14
Thanks, Paul....beats the heck out of sitting by the fireplace, awaiting turkey season. :-)

29-Nov-14
Good luck!!

29-Nov-14
I understand the fire place scenario. Also heading down to AZ in January for another Coues deer hunt. Plan on posting another semi-live hunt on the WT site when I return.

After January, turkey season is only two month away.

What I like about the NAP Shock Force is that they live up to their name. They provide a lot of shock/trauma and bone breaking capability followed up by good cutting design; all that is needed for turkeys and geese to anchor them quickly. Yea, I have seen the "off with their head" BH at work but I still like to body shoot them. Also I like to take a picture of the tom with his head attached without using duck tape to hold it on.

My best, Paul

03-Dec-14

The heart, mind and soul of the hunter welcomes a new day; a new beginning a new opportunity.

03-Dec-14

With the decoys out and the blind set, it will not be long before the first flights of geese show. I can hear a few out on the nearby lake.

03-Dec-14

There will not be any sun shinning today as it is very overcast.

03-Dec-14

The first flight of the morning.

03-Dec-14

Another high group of high fliers. I only call to the low flying groups as they are the ones that are feeding locally.

03-Dec-14

I do some goose talk, a few chuckles and honks.

03-Dec-14

The flock passes over looking for greener pastures but just a few minutes later, this single is trailing behind. A few chuckles on the goose call get its attention and it drops in to within 15 yards.

03-Dec-14

A well placed arrow did its job.

03-Dec-14

The goose did flutter away for 100 yards but lay dead.

03-Dec-14

I lined up Chase and sent him on his way once I determined the arrow had cleared the goose.

03-Dec-14

Even this 80# lab has trouble with a 12 # goose.

03-Dec-14
Awesome Paul!

Keep it coming!

03-Dec-14

So with a final lunge and a little dragging of the goose, it was brought to hand, well almost.

What a treat to have the dog along and doing what he was bred for.

Sort of like the saying, " hunting is what I do, a hunter is who I am." Dog and man alike.

03-Dec-14

A half hour later these three geese dropped into the decoys on the right and all within bow range of 20 yards.

03-Dec-14

And then three more to the left.

03-Dec-14
Way cool!

03-Dec-14
Man, that looks like fun!

03-Dec-14

I decided to pass on these geese and just take a few pictures. I know I will have more opportunities as the days play out.

03-Dec-14

03-Dec-14
Way to go Paul... this is awesome!!!

You are Bowsite's GBM... sorry, I couldn't resist! :)

03-Dec-14

After I took this picture I sent Chase out to chase them away. (no pun intended).

03-Dec-14

And then the hero shot.

I will wait a few days and try again so stay tuned for more action from the goose field.

My best, Paul

03-Dec-14
Looks like so much fun...very cool, Paul!

03-Dec-14
Very cool Paul, three of my favorites, bows, labs and geese !! Thanks

03-Dec-14
This is great Paul! Looks like a blast! I have a serious urge to try to kill a snow goose with my bow in the spring over decoys. I think it would be the ultimate challenge! Hope to see more of your hunts!

P.S. I can't believe you passed up that banded goose.

(Bet I made you look!) Ha!

03-Dec-14
Way to go Paul! It's great to see you getting Chase out doing his thing. He looks healthy, does he have any lasting effects of the car accident?

03-Dec-14
Way to go Paul. Your threads always bring a smile. Thanks for sharing!

03-Dec-14
Awesome job Paul!!

03-Dec-14
I love this thread. Way to go. Love it.

03-Dec-14
Paul-

Awesome thread! Just curious why you passed on the geese? Can you only take so many?

Not judging just curious.

It sure looks like a lot of fun.

03-Dec-14
Cool stuff, Paul.

My dog's spent a lot of time in the fall turkey blinds with me, and has carried a couple of longbeards back to hand, plus hens and poults.

He always found big geese pretty easy. Somewhere we have a pick of him jumping into the bed of a pick-up with one in his mouth. :-)

Curious, what's your daily limit out there? We're up to six.

Also, if you know how, can you put dots where you'd aim on some of those birds, please.

03-Dec-14
1. Scrapwood. It has been two years since his accident and we had to take out the eye. The following duck season he retrieved 70 ducks.. Previous to the accident, he had three years of hunting and training so he had a good base to continue on, even with only one eye. Lots of grit for sure.

2. Nick, I like sharing the hunt as I enjoy other's equally. I am luck to be able to hunt this unique property.

3. Beav. Ok, I know you guys aced a lot of ducks and geese with the bow last year. Similar hunt this year?

4. Loess.... thank you.

5. Sage, The limit on dark geese is 5 per day but there is also a possession limit. Last year I killed 12 and my friend killed two. So I ended up with 14 geese. While we ate them all, it was a few too many so this year I am limiting myself to 6-8. Enjoyed taking a few pictures and trying to upgrade my picture gallery. Trying to get a few landing geese. I had one this morning that came in so fast, no wind, that he crashed and skidded on the ground and then to a stop a few yards away. Sort of like a Carrier jet pilot, landing without wheels and missing the hook.

03-Dec-14

Writer, our limit is 5.

I treat the shot placement on geese as I would on turkeys. I try to aim up the legs, to the top of the thigh where it connects to the body. If I hit low, I take out the legs. If right on, I hit the gut pocket. and if I hit high, the spine.

I do not take a front on or rear shot on Geese and only try for a broadside shot or slightly qt. away.

03-Dec-14
Looks like alot of fun.

03-Dec-14

03-Dec-14

03-Dec-14
Thats A great post. Thanks. HUNT

03-Dec-14
Congrats on a great hunt! I always look forward to your yearly goose hunting adventure!

03-Dec-14
Paul, we are going on our first hunt of the season this Saturday. I missed the early migration because I was too stuck on whitetails.

03-Dec-14
I loved this thread last year and the 2014 thread is outstanding. Has me wanting to try this on my friend's river property with the Bowtech.

03-Dec-14
Beav, I understand concerning the "stuck of WTs". Looking forward to seeing some pic of the hunt this weekend.

Phez, I hope to hunt this Friday and a couple of times next week. It is worth the try if you can find the right place. I am blessed with this unique place to goose hunt. As Writer said, " sure beats setting around and waiting for turkey season this spring". If anything, this goose hunt from the blind is a great warm up for turkey hunting.

03-Dec-14
Were getting more and more Mute Swans out here. I know they got a ton of them back east. They're considered an invassive species in a lot of states and they are Huge. 20+ pounds and 5' nose to tail.

03-Dec-14
Pretty cool Paul, love this thread. Thanks for takin' us along.

Grew up on the Pacific flyway hunting them in our grain fields. Some years back then the sky would literally darken with ducks and geese, clouds of them. When I went to college in Klamath Falls OR I lived in a trailer at Tule Lake CA and hunted early morning before class.

Never occurred to us to ground sluce em with the bow. =D Might have been tough to get on em when you throw the roof/door open and jump up out of the pit blinds though....

How do you cook em? I know some like wild goose, but they have never been my favorite table fare. I ate em because I shot em, but if I could find somebody that wanted them they were theirs. I was admittedly a much poorer cook back then too.

04-Dec-14
DL, a 20# bird would be something to behold. I would have to have two labs working together to get them in.

TD. Cook them?

1. I have never cooked a whole wild goose but I have taken a couple to have them smoked when I lived in Ohio and that was good.

2. I only cut out the goose breast

a. made jerky also

b. cut in strips,,dredge in egg/milk, bread in cracker crumbs, and deep fry to medium like "chicken fingers". Another way-----

c. slice thick breast in half or thirds ( depends on thickness of breast) and tenderize with tenderizer hammer. Marinate in orange juice and Russian salad dressing over night, and grill (over charcoal) like liver to med rare. Can also be sliced up to place on salad or served with potatoes, etc.

d, and then if none of the above appeals, place whole goose on board--feathers and all, make large wood fire, place board and bird near to cook, cook to well done, throw away the bird and eat the board. :) This is actually a carp receipt but will do for geese also.

04-Dec-14
It's a lot of work, but if you can pluck the whole bird...you can wrap it it bacon and roast it in a roasting bag. The legs are a little tough, but have great flavor that way.

You can improve the flavor by marinating the bird in a brown sugar/salt brine overnight as well, before roasting.

Just a couple ideas ;)

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-Dec-14
Paul did you read the thread about using baking soda to tenderize meat? Try it on the goose breast.

04-Dec-14
Awesome Paul, congrats on the birds!

04-Dec-14

Jeff, worth trying and will let you know how it turns out.

DL, I will now

Weekender, Will be hunting tomorrow so stay tuned in for more action. Chase is at my feet right now wondering why we are not going this morning.

A pic from last year.

My best, Paul

04-Dec-14
Great pic Paul, I'm getting fired up for Tomorrow (shotgun hunting).

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-Dec-14
Good deal Paul! Keep posting please

04-Dec-14
Some really neat pictures Paul as always, thanks for taking us along sir!

Kyle

04-Dec-14
Awesome thread! My daughter has indicated an interest in waterfowl hunting and has been drawn for a youth(gun) duck hunt next week. I think this type of hunt would appeal to her more than dealing with shotgun noise and recoil.

04-Dec-14
I love brining the breasts then searing and eating raw to medium rare.

I then sprinkle Black Truffle salt I get from the attached link.

Amazing. Although my fare is duck more than geese now.

This is one of my fav threads.

04-Dec-14

Sage Buffalo's Link
Oops forgot link.

http://solunagardenfarm.com/

BTW She is a pro-hunting person.

04-Dec-14
WOW, I bet if we could get all Bowsiters to gather and bring their best wild game dish, we would have a hell of a feed.

04-Dec-14

writer's Link
Thanks for the aiming dots, Paul.

Forgive the self-promotion, but for those wanting to find good ways to cook Canadas, I went pretty heavy on waterfowl recipes in the outdoors cookbook we just produced this fall. I'd heard so many people complain about duck and goose.

Anyway, 53 recipes for many species, 150 photos (mostly my faves I've taken in the Kansas outdoors), 110 meat-care tips, several reprints of articles and a lot of narrative of each recipe.

Try the Peace Creek Duck, Tequila Lime Goose and Chimichuri Goose.

04-Dec-14
I bet you could eat dirt with Ta-kill-ya and lime.....=D

Sounds good. have to check it out. Just now getting to where I can put out some real good pheasant a couple different ways.

Paul, I'll get a jump on folks and bring some axis.....

05-Dec-14
TD, I know I've seen quite a few people eat dirt AFTER Ta-kill-ya! :-)

...and Paul, we would all leave such a feast too big to climb into treestands, or scale mountains for elk.

For years my wife and I have done "Beast Feasts," 7-10 course meals that started at about 5 p.m. and end at around midnight. About ever 30-45 minutes a different style of wild game meat is served, with a side salad or veggie.

It's served social style, not a sit-down ordeal, just brought around where people are talking and served on small paper plates.

Incredibly popular. We used to auction our services, to cook game shot by the highest bidders, to raise money for youth hunting programs. I think we hit $5,000 a couple of times.

One of the grilled goose recipes, stuffed with finely chopped veggies, was maybe the most popular.

05-Dec-14

Ok, time for goose hunt 2.

Weather here in Ft. Collins CO seems pleasant, even at 5 am.

Looks like a good day to kill a goose or two. But when it comes to hunting anything, one never know how it might turn out.

05-Dec-14

One thing you can always plan on is that the sun will rise in the morning.

Sometimes muted by the clouds and like this morning, a bright day for sure.

05-Dec-14

Fewer geese flying this morning but with the nice days, the demand for food is less and they can take it easier each day.

Lots of green grass still in the area so the geese have a lot of food to chose from.

05-Dec-14

Around 8:30 am these two geese landed in the field but out of range. I sent Chase out to scare them away as they might decoy geese to their location.

Boy, does Chase love to run out and spook them.

05-Dec-14

At 9 am, this group came off the lake and low. Maybe they would in interested in the field and attracted by the decoys.

I goose called a few times and they headed my way.

05-Dec-14
Paul, looks like fun!! In another life I was big into waterfowl hunting. We took over 300 geese a year in Ohio, NY, and Canada.

Best way I found to make them is breakfast sausage. You just need a bunch of them:)

05-Dec-14

They indeed were interested and dropped in. Chase was ready to jump out of the blind and I had to hold him back.

05-Dec-14
I ranged the closest goose at 22 yards and let the arrow fly.

05-Dec-14

Bingo, goose on the ground.

05-Dec-14

05-Dec-14

05-Dec-14

The flock, though suspicious, milled around so I tried a second shot at one 28 yards away and I thought I shot low until I retrieved the arrow. That goose and the remaining geese took to wing, some heading for the adjacent pond and some across the road to the lake.

05-Dec-14

Chase was overly eager to get out of the blind so I lined him up on the goose, and sent him on his way.

Man, was he excited to go!

05-Dec-14

05-Dec-14

A mouthful for sure. Happy dog, happy hunter.

05-Dec-14
Keep it coming Paul. Awesome thread! Great shooting too.

05-Dec-14

Wait, two geese down?

Well here is the rest of the story.

As I was picking up both arrows, the second one had some blood on it. This is the goose I thought I had missed. I glanced over to the ice covered pond and there stood on the far side, a goose with blood on its side.

Both Chase and I circled around trying to figure how to retrieve this goose. The ice thickness was marginal at best but Chase was able to head for the goose a few yards. The goose ran and took flight and flew over some low trees and out of sight, but I could see it might not go far.

We both circled around the pond and entered an adjacent tall grass field. I worked Chase back and forth into the wind and after a few minutes he became very birdie. He continued to worked back and forth into the wind and found the goose, still alive, 50 yards away.

HERO SHOT of Chase and two geese.

My best, Paul

PS, will give the field a rest and return early next week. Thanks for following along.

05-Dec-14

I think Chase deserves another credit.

05-Dec-14
Thanks for sharing Paul... looks like one happy dog!

05-Dec-14
A good retriever can be a real asset on a goose hunt... especially when they fall hundreds of yards away, or in this case on iced over ponds.

Looks like the same applys for bowhunting! Sweeeet!

05-Dec-14
"Chase" is a very good name. Did he get to run down the 2nd goose or did you get another arrow in it?

When I wingtip a pheasant that hits the ground running the command is DEAD BIRD! The dogs love that command, it means they don't have to point the bird and can go right at it, find it, chase it and catch it.

Yep, happy dog indeed!

05-Dec-14
Way to stay young. No sitting around. Good for you! C

05-Dec-14
Atta boy Paul!! Always in the mood for one of your threads!

05-Dec-14

patience2spare's embedded Photo
Paul, I apologize for a little highjacking.

Ursus... Your daughter will love field hunting for geese. My 12 yr old, Grace killed her first goose last weekend and is ready to get after them again as soon as the schedule allows. She used her 20ga with 3" #2's. Not too much recoil and folded her bird up easily :)

Our family's favorite recipe is to cook two goose breasts in the crockpot on low heat with a dark beer like a Honey Brown or Leinenkugel and a few strips of bacon. After about 8 hours shred the meat and mix liberally with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Add a slice or two of pepper jack cheese and you've got yourself a great sandwich!!! Pete

05-Dec-14

One more. Not sure why the pics are so enormous?

05-Dec-14

LTG 11's embedded Photo
LTG 11's embedded Photo
If you're passing through Kansas anytime this winter, I'll eat some extra geese just to keep this thread going.

Nothing better than watching the dogs work...

06-Dec-14

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Paul,

Don't forget, dogs are legal for fall turkey hunting in Kansas and our season goes until Jan. 31. You're going to buy the regular hunting license anyway for spring turkeys so the only extra cost would be the fall permit.

You think Chase enjoys geese, wait until there's a 100 bird scatter or gets to fetch a few turkeys.

06-Dec-14
Nothing better than Labs, kids, bows, and waterfowl, and yes, turkeys.

Stay turned for the next installment.

Paul

06-Dec-14
Paul......great stuff....you continue to inspire us every year....thanks for posting this!

06-Dec-14
Looks like fun Paul!

06-Dec-14
"Who ever said money can't buy you happiness forgot about little Lab puppies."

(A knock-off of a dog quote from Gene Hill, sorry.)

07-Dec-14

Five years ago, Chase's very first mallard. He was 9 month old. He will be 6 on Valentines day.

By next Tuesday he will be in the goose blind and ready to go again.

Paul

07-Dec-14

OK Lab lovers

07-Dec-14

07-Dec-14

07-Dec-14

07-Dec-14

07-Dec-14

And then, just for the hell of it and in between hunts.

My best, Paul

07-Dec-14

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Enjoy it Paul, our time with them passes all too quickly.

Man, what a solid, classic-looking Lab. Your vet ever tell you something like, "Hey, this is what they're all supposed to look like, but very few do." ?

Mine a few weeks shy of 13 last January, a last day limit of four roosters. Fetched his 7th and 8th turkeys (both longbeards) of the fall seasons the day before. (More of a drag by that age, though he used to pick them up and carry them, as long as he didn't step on a wing.)

Chase is fortunate to have a pack leader that can devote so much time, though I'm guessing most of our Labs wish elk and deer had never been invented. :-)

Neat thing about a Lab, is no matter what you're doing, as long as they're involved they think it's a helluva an idea!

07-Dec-14
Michael, Lot of current good times and memories of past hunts and great dogs for sure.

Interesting story: When Tricia and I owned a tourist lodge on Lake Granby here in Colorado during the 1990s; our lab Jet was a 90#, strong male.

Our guests would comment about his looks and size and state, "we bet he is a great watch dog for the lodge?"

Knowing labs, I would answer jokingly, "OH sure! If we were not home and was broken into, he would help open the door, show the thief where the good stuff was, help them carry in out, and then jump in the car and off he would go".

Yes, they surely do like being with people, sadly, in that case, any people.

Paul

07-Dec-14
Great job Paul, love the thread!

07-Dec-14
One of the top threads of the year Paul! Nicely done! Chase is a machine!

Mark

08-Dec-14
X2 Mark.

Paul, I cant tell you how much ive enjoyed your thread. As a goose hunter, bow hunter, lab owner ("junior" is a choco), and a former resident of Ft. Collins and a former student at CSU, watching this thread has brought back lots of memories.

Im sure if I wouldn't have taken a job in Durango and finished my undergrads at Ft. Lewis, I would have probably stayed in Ft. Collins, permanently, and be out there shooting Canadas with you. It was by far the nicest place ive ever lived and I miss it.

I do enjoy bowhunting the geese off my pond here in oklahoma though. :)

Best of luck and keep 'm comin.

12-Dec-14
Lowell, Tricia and I also like Ft Collins a lot. Easy access to the mountains and the east.

Far enough from Denver and close to the Cowboy State and a great feel for the rural area.

Heading out for a few days of duck hunting and then one more day of archer goose when i return next week. I went over to pick up some camo netting at the blind an there were 30 geese in the field this afternoon.

Colder weather coming in on Sunday so maybe the geese will decoy better the next time out.

Chase gives Junior his best.

My best, Paul

27-Dec-14
See, Part 2

27-Dec-14
Good stuff Paul!

• Sitka Gear