CJE 16-Dec-14
Toby 17-Dec-14
bigswivle 17-Dec-14
JSW 17-Dec-14
Kdog 17-Dec-14
07-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
There have been 2 posts, that I know of, that linked the video of my Afognak Island brown bear hunt and plenty of discussion followed. The video has almost 250,000 hits and the misinformation is rampant. As with most posts, there were good comments as well as stupid ones. As Paul Harvey would say, "in a minute you'll hear the rest of the story". It's a great story and kind of long so if you want to know about the hunt it will take a while. Most of the BS was related to the 2 shots that I took at the bear and why I only shot twice. I'll get that out of the way and then tell the story. Luke Randall was my guide and he is the best. The plan was for Luke to range the bear so I could concentrate on the shot. He ranged it at 23 yards and I made a mistake by not ranging it myself. I had plenty of time while we waited for him to get broadside. It was farther than that so my first shot hit low. It looks like a clean miss or gut shot from the video but was actually just behind the right shoulder. (I'll try to post a picture that shows the entrance hole) Even though it was low it was still in the chest and would have killed it. We waited quite a while for the bear to get broadside and though I had a good shot angle, the arrow must have deflected off a rib and angled back. It exited about the back of the ribs on the far side. Had the arrow been a few inches higher it still would have hit both lungs and the bear would have died on the beach. Since it was low it only got one lung and angled under the back of the other. The second shot was under 15 yards and was perfect. Only about 4" of arrow was sticking out just behind the left shoulder, perfect height. You can see the fletch end breaking off and falling after about 2 steps. When bowhunting big bears, it's very important that you not let them see you after the shot. If they do they will charge. That's the reason for only 2 shots. I knew I had to get in a second shot so I took it as soon as I had a good angle and an opening. At that point I tried not to move so he wouldn't see us. When he came up on the hill with us I started knocking a third arrow since I knew he was about to wind us. He was really hurting and almost went down just before he caught our wind and came at us. I was just starting to draw my bow when Luke shot him. All we needed was about 10 more seconds and he would have been dead from the arrows. Luke absolutely did not want to have to shoot this bear. He knew it was huge and wanted it to be a legitimate bow kill. If not for that little hole in his neck he would be top 10 Pope and Young. I think that other bear on the beach was of some concern to by bear since he was really hurting and probably wasn't up for a fight. Instead of staying on the beach, he turned and came up the trail just to our left which brought him right through our scent stream.

07-Dec-14
What a great bear.

07-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
If you look closely at this picture you can see blood and 2 light colored spots behind the shoulder. That is where my first shot entered the bear. Not a perfect shot, but not too far off either.

07-Dec-14
Jim, Congrats on killing a monster....1,400lbs+ if memory is correct! You and Luke did a great job staying calm. Did you two figure out why the range taken (by Luke) prior to the first shot was incorrect? Hit grass? Icing?

Mark

07-Dec-14
Glad you are safe!

07-Dec-14
Saw the video, you did right. Congrats on a GREAT ANIMAL and a GREAT ADVENTURE! I love BIG BEARS!!!!!

07-Dec-14
I booked the hunt through Bowhunting Safari Consultants because I knew Afognak Island had some really big bears and Luke Randall is a great guide and fun to hunt with. I hunted deer with him last year. The outfit is Afognak Wilderness Lodge. On this hunt you either still hunt the salmon streams or glass the beaches from the boat looking for a big bear. I passed up one pretty good bear on day 2 and saw quite a few sows, cubs and smaller bears. We thought we saw some tracks on a beach so we went ashore to take a look. This was on an island about 2 miles long and half a mile across. The island was hourglass shaped and we found the tracks on the south side of the narrow part. On the north side was a dead whale that was covered up with bears. We found a huge track so we set up on a hill and watched the whale all day. 17 different bears came to that whale, mostly sows and cubs and smaller boars. What an experience. We watched until dark and decided the big boy was going to be mostly nocturnal. We knew we would have to come back the next morning in the dark. The next morning Luke sent his assistant, Jordan up the hill to glass the whale. He gave us the thumbs up so we made our stalk. At one point the second bear, a good 9 footer was in front of us at 40 yards so we had to wait for him to move. He was waiting for the big one to leave so he could feed. The 2 beaches were just over 100 yards apart with about a 15' high ridge in between. You couldn't dream of a better setup. The first shot was 28 to 30 yards and the second one was close. I never saw the second bear during the excitement, even though he is right there in the video. I was only concentrating on my bear and nothing else. After he was down we took about 300 photos and since he was so big, Luke wanted to try to load him on the boat so we could weigh him. He had a 300' rope so we tied to him and drug him to the beach with the boat. It took us about 45 minutes to get him up on the landing gear far enough to raise it up, then we used the rope, anchor and boat power to get him the rest of the way.

07-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
The hardest part

07-Dec-14
JSW

Congrats on your harvesting a monster bear. I'm sure that the whole process took nerves of steal! It's very easy for some to make judgement, what a irony. You legally harvested the bear of a life time, but had to surrender a top standing in the record books for a video of a life time. You both showed great composure!!! Got to love those BIG BEARS!!!!

Mark

07-Dec-14
Great bear and cool video. Congratulations. Thanks for posting up more details and pics.

07-Dec-14
Your video was really intense, glad you guys are ok, and nice bear!

07-Dec-14

07-Dec-14
Congrats on a terrific bear and thanks for coming on here and sharing the whole story - a story most of us could only hope to live out and can only dream of. Can't imagine what that couple of minutes must have been like and I'm sure it's something you'll never forget.

Maybe not on paper but in my mind, it was a bow kill. You did everything right. The wind is the only thing that was not in your favor for those circumstances.

Congrats again on a terrific accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

07-Dec-14
Congratulations... WOW!!!

07-Dec-14
Bow killed bear by any man's standards. It's great to hunt an animal like that but always good to live to tell about it too!

Congratulations and thanks for posting the thread.

07-Dec-14
were did your guide hit the bear with that rifle shot ?

07-Dec-14
Congrats JSW on a great bear. Its hunts like yours that puts a big brown bear on my wish list for in a hunt. Glad you guys are all safe.

07-Dec-14
That is a beauty of a bear. Congrats.

07-Dec-14
"Bow killed bear by any man's standards. It's great to hunt an animal like that but always good to live to tell about it too"

Pretty much says it all right there. I was in camp on Kodiak a week or two later and we were all talking about the video. Guides all agreed there was no option or second guessing the call to shoot. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the details.

07-Dec-14
Luke hit it in the neck just behind the skull. When he took the shot he said he tried not to hit it in the skull. I would hunt them every year if I could. It's about as fun as it gets.

07-Dec-14
Jim: What a fantastic year you had. See you in Phoenix! Thanks for posting! C

07-Dec-14
Where is the video to the hunt?

07-Dec-14
Great bear, great footage and amazing hunt.

I do think P&C needs to have a clause in there that says if you have video of the shots and the bow shots look lethal (pics included) and the only reason for gun shots was due to safety it's considered a bow kill.

I can understand before videos were common but now everyone films their hunt.

Either way, congrats!

07-Dec-14
Then it would be less about the kill and more about if you happened to have a camera along or not. Same facts would result in different outcomes based not on archery but on filming

Video,is under the thread big brown bear video

07-Dec-14
Big bear will he make the PY book !!!:>

07-Dec-14
ok, first off, congrats just simply on having the balls to hunt such an animal. 2. That bear was all pumped full of adrenaline and his will to live is amazing. 3. Those were good shots and yes he would have been dead very soon. lastly, I saw no other choice for the guide, that bear was ready to kill someone for sure. So anyone that had some BS to say about that, probably wouldn't have the balls to hunt this animal in the first place. I know I don't. But Im just southern boy from southeast Va, most danger I will ever see is a coyote. To you sir, job well done. To heck with P&Y and anyone else. It's just a number man. That hunt and bear will be with you the rest of your life and your children and grandchildren will have this story to tell. Who cares if P&Y or anyone else says it's not legit, Im sure your heart was in your throat and your nads were in tummy, that all the legitimacy you will ever need my friend. Thanks for sharing this awesome footage.

07-Dec-14
Mr. Limb Bender,

You do know Jim is the president of the Pope and Young Club, right?

07-Dec-14
Nope, don't care. I stand by what I said. P&Y means nothing to me personally. Nothing against them, but I don't really concern myself with the "score" of an animal. I understand the reasoning behind the club, and that is for people to set a standard on a trophy, that's cool, just just not interested in scores and inches, if it makes your heart thump, it's a trophy. I wasn't bashing P&Y, I just said to heck with their rules, their rules do not IMO make it a bow kill. others may disagree. I also understand that P&Y does good things for the sport. Im thankful for that, but IMO it doesn't matter if they recognize or if others recognize it as a bow kill, it was a bow kill in my book and a great story/hunt to share.

07-Dec-14
Limb Bender how is this a bow kill? bear was hit with 2 arrows was alive enough to charge and died from a gunshot wound !!! Sorry but if me or client was charged last thing i would care to save is a bears skull !in fact i would be looking to crack it !

sage a clause OMG u guys are all hunting for the wrong reasons !!!

07-Dec-14
congrats. you are a true gentleman.

07-Dec-14
i think instead of throwing a Golf outing at PY its safe to say we all can use time on the shooting range :>>>>>>

07-Dec-14
city, if you are looking for arguement, you won't get one from me. In my opinion it's a bow kill. In yours and P&Y it isn't. Oh well, no big deal. Im not sure how you say we "hunt for the wrong reasons"?? Please explain how you know why we hunt. If I recall I said scores and inches are not the measure of a trophy. I love to kill big bucks, I just don't really care if they make a set score in some club.

07-Dec-14
I hope your not trying to defend yourself to any of us. That was a amazing Bear, Shot on both your part and your guides, courage to make a bow shot. Congrat's And thanks for posting your story to us.

07-Dec-14
what he said.... ^^^^

07-Dec-14
Jim i see above a pic with you a bow and a bear just curious would u consider this a bow kill.

07-Dec-14
An amazing bear, amazing video, and a hunt of a lifetime. Congratulations and thanks for sharing here!!!

08-Dec-14
Congratulations Jim... Incredible... just incredible... Ed F

08-Dec-14
Outstanding efforts... All round!

I'm sure for years to come memories of that day on the beach will hold firm and with more weight than some comments online that will soon be forgotten.

Respect to you good sir.

08-Dec-14
Awesome bear, what an incredible hunt.. I can not imagine the adrenaline rush shooting a brown bear on spot and stalk with a bow. I surely can't imagine it when they charge, nothing like having your life in the hands of someone you barely know. Congratulations on a great bear.

08-Dec-14
where can one see the video?

08-Dec-14
great bear and story. what would have happened in terms of your tag, if you did not get off a shot with the bow, the bear charged and was killed with a gun by the guide? do you have to tag it and is the hunt over?

08-Dec-14
JSW, what were you using for a set up on that bear?

08-Dec-14
Hey Jim: Congrats on a great bear! What weeks were you up there?

08-Dec-14
Thanks for sharing and congrats on an awesome bear!

08-Dec-14
JSW - I'm curious - what caliber rifle was the guide using?

Congratulations on a great hunt and magnificent animal, regardless of the ending. An experience I dream of!

>>>>-------->

08-Dec-14
BTW When the bear was charging what was going through your head? Did your life flash in front of your eyes?

08-Dec-14
I was shooting a Hoyt Vectrix set at 70#. Cabelas Carbon arrows and a Muzzy 125 grain 4 blade. Weight 475 grains. The first shot got plenty of penetration and about half the arrow was sticking out the other side and the second shot went in past the fletch. This is the first North American big game animal I've shot with a compound in 32 years. I can make all kinds of excuses for not using my trusty old bighorn recurve. I just wasn't shooting it well enough when they called and told be to get there ASAP. It takes a lot of confidence in your abilities to hunt big bears. I bought the bow for hunting dangerous game in Africa in 2008 and this qualifies. The other reason is, I've had horrible luck on guided hunts and I needed to do something to change that. On 8 previous guided hunts I had only taken 1 P and Y animal. My luck still holds. Now I'm 1 for 9. On my last 9 DIY hunts I shot 6 book animals so I don't question my abilities. I'll just have to keep trying. Like someone posted above, I didn't get in the record books but the video makes up for it. Almost. I will enter it in B and C.

Elkhuntr, If the guide shoots it but you haven't, you don't have to tag it. If you draw blood, even if you hit it in the foot, your hunt is over. State law.

08-Dec-14
It is unfortunate how it ended up. There was no doubt that the bear was on a death run. It is better to be standing over a gun assisted bear kill than having others standing over your coffin. Thanks for sharing all of the details of an awesome hunt!

08-Dec-14
Luke was shooting a .375 Ackley and a 270 grain Barnes TSX.

I never was worried and oddly I've been more nervous trying to shoot a bobcat. I get "buck fever" when I'm afraid they are going to get away and I was certain I was going to kill this bear. When he started to charge I was really pissed off. I knew how it would end and had no doubt that Luke could handle it. For whatever reason, probably stupidity, I'm not really afraid of bears. I totally respect them but I'm convinced that when it's over, I'll still be OK. I have a pretty close relationship with God and so far he's let me know when bad things are about to happen.

08-Dec-14
JSW,

I tagged a brown bear on Afognak Island back in 2011. It can be a magical place.....what a beast of a boar!! I have never been lucky enough to hunt over a whale or a walrus....you sure weren't lacking for bears to watch...were you?

When you have a bear that big nearby, all of the other bears seem to fade from sight, don't they?!!

If you are entering it in B&C, are both of your names included?

08-Dec-14
Awesome! That is a giant. Like I know what a giant is. That experience will last a life time. I hope you will some day get back and get it done with your bow. Congratulations on a great hunt and thanks for sharing.

08-Dec-14
city,

I'd consider it as if I killed the bear with the bow and the guide saved my life before it died by expediting the process with a gun.

Probably no different than the grizzly Pat mortally wounded that had to be stopped before it killed someone while he was dying himself.

as if book rules really matter in times like this..............jeeeesssshhhhhhh

08-Dec-14
Jim, I just have to tell you....I have probably watched your video 50+ times....

A one of a kind piece of film for sure!

Congrats again!

Mark

08-Dec-14
Thanks much for coming on and telling the story first hand. Gotta love it. wow. Said earlier, first shot wasn't off by much and the second 10 ringed him. Very angry bear.

Bet he was the big boss in the area and had the scars to prove it. Awesome. Congrats on one heck of a bear.

08-Dec-14
Congrats on a big bear!! Where can we watch the video?

08-Dec-14
The video has been linked on 2 previous posts. They are still pretty close to the top. They are titled, This why you have backup or Big brown bear video. I didn't attache the link here because I don't know how.

08-Dec-14
found it. geez!

08-Dec-14

Bou'bound's Link
link to video attached here

08-Dec-14
so the question was asked if considered this a bow kill? Lets let him answer that if he wants. He has the discernment on this and apparently p&y does as well. I didnt know he was the pres of this club. Imagine the irony. Either way to me it is a bow kill but i will let him weigh in if he would like. But he doesn't have to, he doesn't owe me or anyone the answer. Just leaving it open for him.

08-Dec-14
JSW,

I hope you have a great taxidermist to do that TANK Justice! Congratulations on your BOW KILL.

Only a very small percentage of us have hunted them with a bow and even less have been successful on going home with such a big beautiful bear. I took one with a gun in 95 but was unsuccessful with the bow....so once again WAY TO GO and thanks for sharing your story, photographs and video.

P.S. Can you please share some more pics with Bowsite when you have him completed?

08-Dec-14
just post more photos of the bear and trip in general if possible

09-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
This picture was taken right after we found the dead whale.

Do I consider it to be a bow kill? No I don't. It has been universally accepted that if a wounded animal has to be finished of with a gun, then you did not "Kill" the animal with a bow. That fact doesn't really have anything to do with P & Y or Grand Slam or Super Slam or anyone else. That's just the way it has always been. Long before any of these groups were ever founded.

When you go after the big bears you are aware that this might happen. It's just part of the deal. Unlike many things that happen on big hunts that you have no control of like weather, travel problems or even bad guides, in this case I did have some control over the outcome. If my first shot had been better he would have died before he got that close to us. None of that takes away from my experience. It was something I will never forget.

I will mount the bear myself. I used to work as a taxidermist and still do it part time.

09-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
The island is heavily timbered and all the moisture makes for great stalking. This is a typical bear trail along a salmon stream.

09-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
We snuck up on this guy on the second day. He was about 8 1/2'. I got withing 37 yards of him laying like this. This is why we hunt.

09-Dec-14
Wicked photos!!

That photo of the whale looks like a perfect ambush spot!! How far from the whale were you when you took that photo?

09-Dec-14
It was absolutely perfect. We were about 120 yards from it when I took those pictures. We were on top of a hill with perfect wind and could stay concealed in some rocks. I actually had to go back to the boat and relax for a while. I was so excited about the setup I thought I would have an anxiety attack.

09-Dec-14
JSW,

I spent some time on afognak, very cool place and untouched in many places. Please keep sharing pics!

Julius

09-Dec-14
Wow great pics JSW. Did you get any stills before you shot your bear?

09-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
Before the shot

09-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
Before the shot

09-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo

09-Dec-14

JSW's embedded Photo
JSW's embedded Photo
Another really cool picture. The 2 smaller cubs wouldn't leave the bigger one alone. Then the sows would get together and argue about it.

09-Dec-14
Keep 'em coming Jim! This is a real treat! Incredible! the hair is standing up on the back of my neck!

Mark

09-Dec-14
Wow! Awesome bear. Congrats on an amazing hunt. Gun shot or not, I would personally feel confident in calling it a bow kill.

14-Dec-14
This video, photos and story of the hunt is just outstanding! What a giant bear....even though its not a P&Y animal, its a lifetime trophy. Congrats!

14-Dec-14
nesser whos lifetime guide ? or hunter

14-Dec-14
Jim congratulations again.

No matter the outcome its still the hunt of a lifetime.

15-Dec-14
JSW, Great bear & thanks for being a "Stand-Up" guy!Good to know P & Y is in good hands! You & your guide looked like you both had nerves of steel to stand your ground when Chit was coming down! Even though you put 2 arrows in the bear that most likely would have did the job, I'm glad to here you say it's not a bow kill because of the way it ended! My hat's off to you for showing such fine integrity on what has to be a less then perfect ending of a great hunt! Again, Great Bear! David

15-Dec-14
Shug, that's an odd question. What outfitter would allow you to show up in camp without a bear tag? Did this happen to you?

15-Dec-14
Not sure why some are so critical?! If the bear stays upwind he walks off and dies. Obviously that's not how it turned out but its still a great trophy. A big ol bear like that deserves to be honored regardless if he needed to be finished with a bullet or not. Show the hunter some respect, we weren't in his boots.

15-Dec-14
Shug may be referring to City's outfitter issue?? Congrats on a great bear. I hope to experience a hunt for them some day.

15-Dec-14
JSW,

BTW, what kind of whale was that?

15-Dec-14
Loesshills please fill me in on the gossip u are hearing . My 2009 bear hunt was a last minute hunt it was a cancellation hunt Virgil /outfitter was to supply my bear tag in camp it never made it Virgil blamed the UPS ,,, 3 days later my tag was dropped by plane at no cost to me ! so if it was my fault im sure there would have been a cost on my end !

Plus what the hell does my tag have to do with this ,,plus i didnt hunt for 3 days till it was dropped off so i wasnt poaching or law breaking !

Shug u cant come up with something better then this lost tag lol Shug u like opening that mouth of yours it sure shows in that waist line !!

15-Dec-14
The childish remarks and negative comments on this thread are disgusting. Especially from Bowsite regulars. Take the personal stuff to PM's. How dare anyone tarnish this good man's outstanding accomplishment with such garbage! Some here should be ashamed and I would hope you are men enough to go back and delete your posts.

Fine bear Mr. Willems and thanks for all you do for bowhunting!

15-Dec-14
Any comments, regarding LukeĀ“s operations? food, quantity and quality of game, food etc?

15-Dec-14
Sorry SD you're right...

15-Dec-14

15-Dec-14
Wonder how long that whale was there. Looks like the bears were able to eat on it for quite awhile.

15-Dec-14
I have said it before Jim, but will say it again, Congrats!! That video is insane! Sorry the ending wasn't what you hoped for. Thanks for detailing your hunt on this post. Great stuff!

Matt

15-Dec-14
Congrats Jim - tremendous bear!

15-Dec-14
Toby, The entire operation is first rate, which I was not accustomed to. I usually try to find a cheap hunt where you have to put up with something less desirable but still are in a good area. They have a lodge where you meet and eat and 2 very nice cabins to sleep in. Regular beds, heated, boot driers and a full bath. The food was ridiculous. All kinds of local seafood plus deer and some beef and chicken as well if you like that sort of thing. I hunted inland in 2013 in a tent camp and had a great time there as well. I didn't realize how much I would enjoy being able to get warm and dry. That alone is worth the extra money. We saw a decent amount of bears but not lots. There seems to be plenty of big bears though. We saw a number of big tracks. I would guess a large percentage of bears on Shuyak were at the whale which explains why we didn't see much around the rest of the island. The other bears we were hunting were on Afognak. Their boats are ideal for coastal hunting and the heated cabins were really nice at times. I have not complaints at all. The spring hunt is probably better. You should see more bears in the spring. I wanted to hunt the fall for better hair. The whale had been there quite a while and my bear really smelled bad.

15-Dec-14
JSW, did you see many deer on the island? Is there a legit chance at combo success? Or would hunting one take away from the other?

15-Dec-14
Were you sitting downwind of the dead whale?! I got downwind of a dead whale once, that won't ever happen again...

15-Dec-14
Surfbow,

It's the newest cover scent!! LOL!!

15-Dec-14
Congrats on a super bear even though a boom stick had to drop him.

I bet the pucker was maxed out on this hunt. Thanks for sharing!

16-Dec-14
Awesome Jim, congrats!!!!

17-Dec-14
Thanks Jim, again wonderful bear!!!

17-Dec-14
Awesome hunt!!!! I would have had to change underpants after that charge

17-Dec-14
SDHNTR, You don't see a lot of deer on Afognak because it is heavily timbered. You do see deer and it's good place to deer hunt, you just have to get out and look. I saw one shooter buck while bear hunting and a couple more after I shot my bear. My daughter flew up and met me at the lodge on the day I shot my bear. We were to fly up together and she would tag along on the bear hunt and try to shoot a deer while there. Since I flew up early and shot my bear on the day we were originally scheduled to arrive, she didn't get to see any of the bear hunt. We had to hunt pretty hard to get her a good buck and I never shot a deer. I could have taken several smaller ones but chose not to. If you get your bear early, deer hunting is a great option. I wouldn't go intending to shoot a bear and a deer. Getting the bear could take up a lot of time. I hunted deer there last year and shot one good buck. It was really a fun hunt.

17-Dec-14
That was awesome! Great bow kill in my book!!!!!

Congrats.

• Sitka Gear