TALLMAN 19-Dec-14
Deacon Dave 21-Dec-14
Joehunter 21-Dec-14
Tndeer 23-Dec-14
Rut Nut 23-Dec-14
Bowfreak 23-Dec-14
YZF-88 20-Jan-15
09-Dec-14
I am going to purchase a bow for my daughter for Christmas. She is right handed but left eye dominant.

Would you suggest buying her a left handed bow?

I shoot both eyes open and think it's a simpler way of shooting but I am not a fundamentally sound archer either.

09-Dec-14
Same issue with my daughter. I got her a right handed bow and an eye patch. She looks like a pirate, but she loves to shoot. And at this stage, sound or not, that's all I was looking for!

09-Dec-14
With a peep it doesn't matter much,without it does.

I'm left eye dominant and shoot my compound right handed and just (@52) started shooting my shotgun left handed.

Firstly,make sure she is indeed left eyed dominant.As an Optometrist I can vouch for people not doing the test correctly and will do it 10 times before confirmation.

Recurve or any instinctive shooting would be best left handed for sure.

One son was cross dominant and since he just shoots a compound with a peep I never switched him....so don't go overboard about the issue if preference is right handed with a compound,just add a peep and move on.

09-Dec-14
I am left handed and right eye dominate. I started with hand me down bows and as a result I shoot my bow right handed. I shoot my rifles left handed.

If she sis young and just learning either will work. Just pick one and stick with it!

09-Dec-14
My wife is left eye dominant. I bought her a lefty and it works well

09-Dec-14
If your daughter is very young, suggest a fiberglass longbow that is universal (left or right). Learn the basics of archery and shoot instinctively. Lots of fun too out stumping.

09-Dec-14
The issue arises if you plan to shoot with both eyes open. Personally....if it is a new shooter I most certainly would have them shoot with their dominant eye. Even if one is right handed it is very easy to gain the strength to shoot a bow left handed. The hardest part to learn is the dextrous stuff like loading an arrow.

I shot right handed for about 18 years. Once my vision started going a bit I decided to switch to my dominant eye and switch to lefty. It is the single best thing I have ever done to improve my shooting. It allowed me to shoot with both eyes open which is essential if one learns to just focus on the target and let your pin disappear.

Genesis can correct me if I am wrong but shooting with both eyes open will allow one to shoot in lower light conditions, gives you better peripheral vision and better overall balance. Also...it is just more comfortable and natural to have both eyes open. When I described it to my NASP kids I would ask one of them to close an eye and then just carry out normal tasks. It is not comfortable to walk around with one eye closed.

09-Dec-14
My daughter is left handed but right eye dominant. We didn't know that until we took her into a local pro-shop. The first thing they did was check eye dominance. Then they let her shoot a number of right hand bows. She picked up on shooting right handed with very little problems. She can now out shoot me 9 times out of 10.

09-Dec-14
My wife is right handed and left eye dominant. She had never shot a bow before and this was the first thing we checked for her. I started out with a lefty and she's never looked back. Just starting out, my opinion is that you take all the guess work out of it and get her a left handed bow and teach her to shoot left handed. It will be just as natural to her as right handed and there will be no patches or other things to worry about. Just get her a left handed bow and show her how to shoot. You'll have a lot more fun along the way with less things to worry about!

09-Dec-14
I actually think baseballers have an advantage with having the eye closest to the pitcher being the dominant eye.Your nose blocks some peripherally so you want your dominant eye in more open space.....

That said,I would take a LH batter over RH no matter eye dominance and made my sons that way.....

Bowfreak,not really,you can "tease" your non dominant eye to take over by semi squinting/training it.

If multiple children and they are all compound shooters I would probably add peeps and shoot them RH if they were all RH.Easier on the pocket book and trading bows...etc.

09-Dec-14
It is easier on the pocket no doubt.

Before I switched to lefty I did a lot of practice training my right eye to "dominate" for lack of a better term. I got really good at it and had pretty much "mastered" shooting with both eyes open. Fast forward it to the spring when I missed a gobbler at 6 yards by 3 foot. Yikes! I had no idea what happened until I went to practice on my target. First shot....right in the dot. On the next draw I noticed my peep didn't turn properly. I started sighting through the peep and realized it had turned a bit but went ahead with my shot. I missed by 3 foot. What happened was the peep turned just enough for my left eye to take over.....hence the bad miss. I have never had this issue shooting with my dominant eye and assume that should it happen shooting with my dominant eye that my dominance wouldn't switch.

As Genesis says though lefties have a hard time selling used bows and you pretty much just have to order a bow sight unseen. Trying one is out of the question as nobody stocks them.

09-Dec-14
Go with the dominant eye.

way better in the long run, more accuracy thus more enjoyment. Especially for traditional shooting and shotgunning!

2 out of 3 of my kids are cross eye dominant. Started them right off on dominant eye and no issues. I've seen people switch later to dominant eye and all had wished they started out that way.

09-Dec-14
I would verify her eye dominance several times. Then buy a bow for that eye. Unless you want to set your daughter up for problems, don't buy the wrong handed bow.

If you have her cross train, then she will develop poor form. She will have great difficulty learning to shoot with both eyes open. Both eyes open improve low light vision, increase the field of view and are generally a good idea.

I see people cross dominant and they look uncoordinated and inept. Don't get your daughter ridiculed. That, and inconsistency from having her eyes fighting each other, would increase her chances of quitting.

09-Dec-14
I'm left handed but right eye dominant. Have her shoot how she is comfortable. For me, I shoot right handed.

09-Dec-14
You didn't say how old yer girl was. I sort of went through the same thing with one grandson. I would suggest taking her to your local shop and let her shoot both sides of the house. That'll tell you more than anything else...I think.

I have amblyopia in my right eye, so southpaw was a given for shooting. That's me.

Granted, I'm a stickbow guy. I play with a Bowtech Constitution a bit trying to get used to it. So far, just sad. My grandsons laugh when i pull it it to play with it. My one boy can pick up a RH bow, shoot it, put it down, and pick up any lefty I got and shoot without missing a beat. I hate that boy.

My other has been righty from day one.

I would tell you that the best way to ensure you are on the right path with her is to let her show you.

Everybody can make suggestions, but the best advice is gonna be watching her shoot. To this day, I'm amazed at my two grandsons, and the things they show me by just shooting with them.

Whatever you do, keep it fun, for you and her.

09-Dec-14
Right handed, left eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open and have shot left handed from day 1. I picked up a fiberglass recurve and shot it lefty with no prompting from my dad - likely didn't even know I did it. He never tried to correct me and it works great. I would have her shoot lefty if she is indeed left eye dominant. I also shoot a long gun lefty.

Lee

09-Dec-14
It's funny I was going to start the same post. I'm in the same boat, Looking for my 7 year old daughter who is right handed and left eye dominant. Our pro shop wants me to bring her in to let her pick which fits her best. I guess that's the best way to go about it.

09-Dec-14
I'm left eye dominate and started right handed. Age 6-12. Switch to left... So much better.

09-Dec-14
Absolutely go with dominant eye. No question about it.

The only way I would buy her a right handed bow is if she isn't strong enough to shoot lefty. My daughter started this way. She is left eye dominant. Coordination isn't an issue as it is just as easy to learn lefty as it is righty, but my daughter absolutely could not pull back enough weight left handed so I started her with a right handed bow for target shooting and hunting. Now that she is old enough and strong enough, she will switch to a lefty bow.

09-Dec-14
X-Man is correct. A peep will not help someone that is trying to use the other eye. She will shoot inconsistent. I have the same situation with my daughter and she shoots a left handed bow lights out.

BTW, I have a left handed Diamond Atomic with pink limbs if you want it. I will make you a deal and I am buying her a new one for X-Mas.

09-Dec-14
Thank yall for the contemplative replies. Very helpful.

Elk_Thumper - thank you for the offer...however I think I am going to get her a Diamond Infinite Edge.

She is 9 but stronger than my 11 year old son. And a helluva lot sweeter.

I sure wish she was right eye dominant! It's going to cost me in shotguns and bows (at least I hope so!...as right now she does it to be with me more so than loving to hunt or shoot).

09-Dec-14
I shoot a Browning BPS for turkey and waterfowl - ejects out the bottom so doesn't matter left or right :)

10-Dec-14
Shooting with sights - bow or rifle - can be done either way, but still better on the dominant eye side. Shooting instinctive -bow or shotgun - will be much easier on the dominant eye side. I'm right handed but learned to shoot left handed. As a kid I couldn't close my left eye to aim my first BB gun. On the plus side, a right hander shooting lefty controls the weapon with the strong arm. Left handed is also more comfortable covering the right side in a pheasant field or in a duck blind. Also, since I primarily shoot handguns right handed, I have good trigger control with either hand.

When someone is just starting out, especially at a young age, it's a no-brainer. Muscle memory and strength will develop just as fast on either side. Sighting is much more important, the rest is learned just as easily on either side.

10-Dec-14
Oddly enough my wife and I are both left eye dominant. Both of my daughters are right eye dominant. Both of my daughters are young but as of right now they are both rightys.

10-Dec-14
Eye Dominance is just one thing a peep will help.....Sometimes as we age the refractive error changes and a peep helps to clear your pins immensely.

Fortunately for me,my non dominant eye (shooting eye) developed a little nearsightedness and now it is much clearer at near (pins) than my dominant eye.

Now the non-dominant eye is my dominant eye at near.I use the principle daily in my practice with bifocal contact lens.

The brain is a fantastic adaptor and suppresion in the visual cortex is common for everyone on a daily basis.Shooting a peep with the non dominant eye is just another expression of that ability.

Whatever you decide makes sure you get your child's eyes checked as the dominant eye may be the most blurred and that will be counterproductive in every way

10-Dec-14
Two of my boys were LED but right handed. I bought them both left hand bows and shotguns.

15-Dec-14
Go left-handed. It DOES make a difference. Covering your eye up is not going to let you see at the exact spot as using your dominant eye.

17-Dec-14
Genesis - "As an Optometrist I can vouch for people not doing the test correctly and will do it 10 times before confirmation."

Is this correct? I have the person point at a distant object with both eyes open. Then close one and see what happens, them open both and look and point at distant object again closing the other eye and see what happens. I don't do it 10 times but I do do it at least three times to confirm.

The eye where the pointing finger remains on the same distant object as with both eyes open is the dominant eye.

"The brain is a fantastic adaptor and suppresion in the visual cortex is common for everyone on a daily basis."

I look at our hair covered super computers and just marvel! And in the wisdom of man people tell us this is the product of Time, Chance and Beneficial Mutations. You go R. Dawkins. It's a shame we're teaching our kids this nonsense in school.

17-Dec-14
Lots of different ways but 2 feathers your way works well also.

It helps the tester to face the subject and let them point to your nose that way you can see what eye they are using and not have to rely on the subjects interpretation....with kids this is vital.

19-Dec-14
I had same problem with granddaughter went with left-handed bow,shes doing wonderfully.

21-Dec-14
Get her a left handed bow that fits her. She will not regret it. Trying to shoot with the non-dominate eye robs your depth perception and will never feel natural.

21-Dec-14
Right eye dominate shoot right handed. Left eye dominate shoot left handed. Simple! Start them off young and it will be second nature in no time.

23-Dec-14
Agree with Joehunter. If she does not learn this now, she will regret it later.

23-Dec-14
I picked up archery and bowhunting in my late 20's. I am left eye dominant and right handed. So glad I listened to others and bought a left hand bow! Now it feels weird for me to shoot right handed!

I'm with Joehunter and Tndeer- start her lefty, especially because she is young. You/she won't regret it!

23-Dec-14
The method Genesis mentions is the one I always use for my NASP kids.

20-Jan-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Great advice here. I recently took the advice given and set-up my wife with a left handed bow due to left eye dominance. What a difference! We also picked up a bow with a very generous draw weight range (Hoyt Ignite). Starting at 30lbs has been great. It has allowed her to work on the shooting process from scratch and completely forget about struggling to pull it back. We're fine tuning her bow a little each day.

The bottom line is teaching a spouse to shoot opposite handed of their eye dominance will only lead to conflict. We tried that. Match eye dominance with the same hand and it's a marriage BUILDING experience.

• Sitka Gear