Rayzor 03-Jan-15
Rayzor 03-Jan-15
Tracker 05-Jan-15
Rayzor 05-Jan-15
Rayzor 05-Jan-15
10-Dec-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
VPA is releasing a new line of broadheads we are calling the "6 Series". Designed for use with Easton's Injexion nd other micro diameter shafts using Easton's Deep Six HIT inserts. Unlike other heads designed for these shafts we have made a bit of a hybrid our "6 Series". The stems are have the 6-40 threads and shoulder that fit the .155"/.156" micro diameter ID, but we have kept our ferrules at 5/16". We will be supplying a tapered adapter/footer that will protect the end of the shaft, provide extra support and strength like a footer and make a tapered transition between the ferrule and the OD of the micro shafts. The larger ferrule will make a slight bigger hole for the micro to slip through too.

First models in the line up are 3 blade 100 vented, as well as 100, 125 and 150 2 blades. A vented 125 3 blade will be added in a few months. Like our Custom Shop 125, it will be based on the profile of our 150.

Pricing will be $45.95 per 3 pack for the 3 Blades and $51.95 per pack for the 2 blades.

10-Dec-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
Here's another pic.

They are not in the webstore yet. Email me to order [email protected]

10-Dec-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
Sorry posted same pic twice.

10-Dec-14
I don't shoot the micro shafts but I like what you did. I still shoot the standard 3 blade 125s for the bigger stuff.

10-Dec-14
How does the tapered adapter attach to the arrow? From the pictures, the threads on the BH don't appear long enough to reach through the adapter, and I don't see any fastening method on the adapter to the arrow.

10-Dec-14
We have had countless inquires for something for these shafts. We originally had said we would not make them as the reduced diameter stem and smaller threads also reduces the strength in that area. Ditto if we had reduced the ferrule size. The adapter footer takes care of that and helps support and protect the shaft too.

10-Dec-14
mtnlvr: It goes over the shaft like a footer sleeve but its stepped at one end of the bore to protect the face of the shaft. They are 1" long. Most of which is over the shaft. They can be glued on (recommended) or the head will hold it on when its screwed into the HIT insert.

10-Dec-14
Best solution I've seen yet! Well done Ray.

10-Dec-14
Thanks.

I need to remember to proof read my posts. The "6 Series" system is much better than my typing.

11-Dec-14
I agree SDHNTR. Nice looking addition Ray.

11-Dec-14
Very cool Ray... great idea!

11-Dec-14
Can You use the footer sleeve without the deep six series broadhead? Using a regular 3 blade vented 125 grains on an easton fmj 340 arrow. I have never cared for the HIT insert but the love the fmj's.

11-Dec-14
How much weight does the sleeve add? Or is it figured into broadhead weight?

I assume they work on FMJ arrows too?

Very interesting! May need to try some out

11-Dec-14
Just me, I stay clear of any and every half out and outsert......never had a any luck with them and i tried several.

11-Dec-14
that is the beauty of these Trial153. This is neither.

11-Dec-14
So these are a footing? Am I reading that right?

If so that's the way to go...I been footing kentics and FMJ for years...anything using HITS....

Take it a step further and make them to use on any arrow with HITS...make them steel

11-Dec-14
Ray, I've shot micro diameter arrows for 3 years with a great deal of success. As we have discussed, they are not without their shortcomings.....

I applaud you for delivering what certainly appears to be one more very innovative product from VPA.

You think outside of the box with a unique perspective and thus, deliver super high quality products to our beloved bowhunting.

I look forward to trying them!

Mark

11-Dec-14
Butcher Boy: A footer on these shafts without the HIT insert would leave you no means of attachment. A standard head will not fit into the ID of a micro shaft. Bothe the threads are smaller at 6-40 rather than 8-32 and the shoulder is .164" to fit the .165" ID rather than the standard .200" or so.

I have another system coming out for adapting standard heads to micros that is different than anything else currently on the market. Although it has been field proven on many animals, I'm not quite ready to release that one yet....maybe this weekend. Stay tuned.

11-Dec-14
From the pics the stem is still skinny where it turns into the broadhead ferrule so isn't it just as weak as a standard D6 broadhead?

Seems to me if you wanted to make it stronger you'd have to step up the diameter of the stem inside the footing and before the ferrule.

Also what's the weight of the footing?

11-Dec-14
Can't wait to see the alternative for standard broadheads. Given I like the skinny shafts and own dozens of standard heads I'd be more apt to go for that than the new head. I've been using the Aero Outserts and they've definitely got some short comings.

11-Dec-14
Bake:Footer adapter weighs 12gr.

Trial 153: Its not half out or outsert. It is a small 6-40 thread broadhead to be used with Easton's Deep Six 6-40 HIT insert. It comes with a footer that also covers the face of the shaft. Other (larger diameter standard thread HITs can use our carbon collars that have been on the market for 5 years. Basically a short footer that also covers the face of the shaft. The come in many sizes from us or 3 Rivers. Smallest size .275" ID fit the standard 8-32 HIT system Axis shafts.

I had a typo in the original post. ID of micro is .165"/.166" not .155"/.156"

11-Dec-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
Guess I may as well post this. Pics aren't so good. Unlike anything on the market, it is a footed outsert. Problem with everything else is they either are pin style which may bend or break through the shaft wall or the over the shaft type which can shear through the shaft wall from the outside. This system take care of both thing plus one. Supports the shaft on both the ID and the OD. The pin and the footer extend to different lengths of the shaft when installed so they won't act as a shear point. Sure there is possible for the shaft to break, but it would have to split lengthwise at a very shallow angle. That is much, much less likely to happen than when it is supported in the way that it is. The footer section slides on the shaft then the outsert is glued in. One the ousert is in place the footer section slides forward and is glued to support the outsert and protect the joint between the arrow shaft and the outsert shoulder. Our Prostaffer Adam Greentree has killed a pile of animals with them already including a whitetail, an elk, several boars, Asiatic Buff, scrub bulls and Bentang. They are tough. A couple of those animal were punch right through the shoulders. The elk had the offside leg shattered.

This first pic show the two pieces below the "6 Series". More to come.

11-Dec-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
This pic show the two pieces on the shaft.

11-Dec-14
Cool, just ordered my first dozen deep 6 FMJ's when can we get our hands on these footed outserts?

Andy

11-Dec-14
Look Good!! If you make them for .204 diameter shafts like GT kinetics...I am ordering them as soon as you have them...

11-Dec-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
This pic shows the system once the footer has been slid forward, across the joint, onto the shoulder section, and supporting the outsert.

These are made of 7075 T6 Aluminum which is much, much stronger than 6061 T6. The stem weighs 50gr.

I also have another one that the only difference is the outsert is stainless steel and the footer is 7075 T6. They weigh 126gr.

This system is expensive. Cost me more to make them than most outserts sell for retail. They will be limited run. Especially in Stainless. The development of these actually made me go back to rethink the micros and come up with the less expensive solution to offer in the form of the "6 Series".

Pics are before anodize. Final models will be black in the 6 Series. These are green or black in the aluminum. Footer section only colored on stainless model needless to say.

11-Dec-14
I actually got the idea from footing across the joint between the shaft and half out of Gold Tip Kinetics and Carbon Express PTX with aluminum arrow shafting. I thought man thats about as bullet proof a set up as you can get. I need to do that for micros. They are either just on ID or Just on OD and the pin type systems are designed where you can really foot them. More models of new ones may be awhile. I have over a year's time and and several thousand bucks tied up in developing these. I don't have near the funds backing these things some of the big companies do. My main goal now is to try to figure out how to get the price down on the footed outsert system. No imports here. Gotta keep them Made in USA.

11-Dec-14
typo...should read pin type systems are designed where you CAN'T really foot them.

I keep forgetting to proof read.

12-Dec-14
To clarify....the footer and the insert/outsert (both made of 7075 T6) have a combined weight of 50 grains?

Mark

12-Dec-14
Ray, You out there?

Mark

12-Dec-14
Good Job Ray. Keep plugging. We are proud to be a part of VPA!

12-Dec-14
Mark: Yes 50gr combined weight on Aluminum. Both pieces are made of 7075 T6. 126gr combines weight on SS/aluminum.

Weekender 21: A little over a week for both the "6 Series" and for the footed outserts.

Pricing of the 7075 version is going to be $18.95 per 3 for the aluminum in black. $20.95 per 3 in green. Stainless Outsert Aluminum Footer will be $23.95 per 3 w/ black footer. $1 more for green.

The "6 Series" is a much less expensive route to go if you are buying our broadheads in one of the weights they are available in anyway.

12-Dec-14
They both look like awesome set ups! I am currently using VAP's that I footed. That helped tremendously. I like both these new options. Are you going to offer a field point in the "6 series" ?

12-Dec-14
If we made any 6-40 thread field points they would only be 150gr and they would be much more expensive than what you can readily find the 100 and 125s for. We really can't compete on field points as there processing equipment is much more efficient for making them as well as the imports.

The several packages of Injexion shafts I have bought each came with 100gr 6-40 field points.

12-Dec-14
Got ya. I was thinking FP that were D6 threads and tapered ferrule to match your new system.

13-Dec-14
Guess I had a case of the Da-Das when I answered that one. Looks like we will be after all. Probably should do some of our SGTs too.

13-Dec-14
Ray, sorry if I missed it. Which head styles will you offer in the 6-series?

Andy

13-Dec-14
That'd be awesome!! The SGH is the best one I've used.

13-Dec-14
That would be our SGT Small Game Thumper.

The current "6 Series" models are 100, 125 and 150gr 2 blades, and the 100gr vented 3 blade. The adapter/footer will be black anodized rather than non-anodized as shown in the pics. These will start shipping Christmas week.

125 vented 3 blade on the 150 profile will be added at some point. Small game Thumpers in 100, 125 and 150 will come at a some point as will the field points.

21-Dec-14
Good stuff! Great to see more options coming out around these shafts! Thank you!

21-Dec-14
Great stuff Ray! Can't wait to shoot them!

Mark

21-Dec-14
Good broadhead solution for a bad Arrow insert system

21-Dec-14
I had said, after doing some calculations, we would not be making heads for the system when the Easton Deep Six design first came out. The difference in strength the 6-40 threads and reduced stem shoulder diameter make is much greater than one may immediately think compared to the standard 8-32 thread and larger stem diameter. If I knew the shafts were going to be footed I wouldn't have really been as concerned but that couldn't controlled. Since the "6 Series" ferrule is the size you find on a a standard 8-32 head, you have to use the supplied footer adapter for them to work correctly.

Field tips are now in the works too.

28-Dec-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo
Finally, after 139 hours on stand in 3 states, the stars aligned and I was able to take a decent buck with one of our new "6 Series" models. I was using the 2 blade 150 attached to a 330 Carbon Injexion, fitted with 2 HIT inserts, and the early prototypes of our footer adapters (made up the arrows 3 months ago). Shot from Athens Convixtion set to 54#. Quartering to entered shoulder blade, exited inside of rear leg/ham. Gave him a couple hours but he made it only 60 yards.

28-Dec-14
Congrats again Ray on a dandy whitey! 60 yard recovery will work!

29-Dec-14
Thanks and I was happy with the relatively easy tracking job. I've had some that were tough and lost a couple trying to track them too soon only to jump them then lose the trail. Now if I don't see them fall I wait 2- 3 hours even if the shot looked good. Overnight if it looked back.

29-Dec-14
Awesome, well earned buck there Ray. Congrats!

29-Dec-14
Nice buck Ray! Congrats!

Mark

30-Dec-14
Thanks. Hopefully my late luck will continue later this week and I'll cross paths with one of our weird racked bucks we want taken out the herd.

01-Jan-15
Several other variants of the Footer Adapters in the works now.

01-Jan-15
This might make me switch to injections. Glad to see you will be going up to 150 grain in the 2 blade for this system.

01-Jan-15
Rayzor, first off nice buck. I currently shoot Slick Tricks but have noticed your quality heads. I was curious, are you going to come out with 4 blade models?

01-Jan-15
A 4 blade on the pyramid design will not happen. The pyramid design is not suited for a 4 blade. You'd have to change the cutting angle of the design which would defeat the purpose of the pyramid design itself.....strength, equal deflection, and easy resharpening sharpening. The cutting angles are already 30 degrees on a pyramid 3 blade which is tougher than a 17-22 degree replaceable blade edge but never will feel as sharp. A 4 blade of that design would have 45 degree sharpening angles. Very tough but not sharp.

Adding a bleeder to our 2 blade is possible but likely won't be happening. Tiny .030- .035" diameter mill through thick tool steel likely is not in the cards. EDM would be an answer but it's very unlikely that the market would bear the extra cost. It also moves us away from strength of our one piece design that we promote our heads on.

All that said I doubt you'll see a 4 blade with the VPA name on them anytime soon, if at all.

02-Jan-15
Ray Will the footed outsert option be available for say the FMJ or Axis arrow line. I hat the hit insert for its lack of ability to align the BH.

02-Jan-15
That is a great idea Rayzor.....

i don't think i would shoot the thin shafts without this setup

03-Jan-15
The footed outsert system is pretty expensive to make so I doubt it will get expanded much if at all unless I can find a way to get the cost down where we can offer them at a lower price. They are going to be $65.95 a dozen in black and $69.95dz in green at this point.

The footer/adapters are another story. I originally was just going to offer them with the 6 series heads but have decided I will be offering them for several spines of the micro diameters and a couple sizes of mid diameter arrows that have the .204 ID and use HIT inserts. I figure they are better than footer because the protect the end of the shaft too. It may be a month or two before we get them in that size. 6 series field points are ahead of them on the list.

03-Jan-15
The footed outsert system is pretty expensive to make so I doubt it will get expanded much if at all unless I can find a way to get the cost down where we can offer them at a lower price. They are going to be $65.95 a dozen in black and $69.95dz in green at this point.

The footer/adapters are another story. I originally was just going to offer them with the 6 series heads but have decided I will be offering them for several spines of the micro diameters and a couple sizes of mid diameter arrows that have the .204 ID and use HIT inserts. I figure they are better than footer because the protect the end of the shaft too. It may be a month or two before we get them in that size. 6 series field points are ahead of them on the list.

05-Jan-15
Great double post there Ray. Great to hear that you will be expanding the footed outsert system. I think that will be a huge seller for you.

Please put me on the list for a dozen when they become available. Will make my FMJ's an even better arrow.

05-Jan-15
I knew I should put the footed outserts in a different post. I've been covered up with emails confusing the two systems. The adapter footer is line that will really be expanding to many variations beyond our "6 Series" application.

Not sure if we'll be expanding the footed outserts. That remains to be seen. They cost so much to make that even at the price listed in my post they would have to be sold direct. What diameter are your FMJs? The only variation in the footed outsert is the stainless vs aluminum on the outsert portion and color. The current model work on shafts .238"-247" diameter. Ideally in the .242" .246" range. 330 Injection is .244". If your arrows are in that range send me a PM or email me at [email protected].

05-Jan-15
The work with VAP 300 and 250 spine, Black Eagle Deep Impact 350 spine.

• Sitka Gear