earlyriser 14-Dec-14
steve 15-Dec-14
Shug 15-Dec-14
Bou'bound 20-Dec-14
Bou'bound 29-Dec-14
TD 29-Dec-14
Ace of Spades 29-Dec-14
10-Dec-14
I know this probably has been talked about before but I want some up-to-date info since technology changes so fast. I'm looking for a very simple but reliable handheld GPS for hunting but also affordable. Any suggestions or reviews?

10-Dec-14
I have a Garmin 60csx which is pretty good, but if you jump up to the next level and get a Dakota or Oregon, I believe those can download aerial photos and may be better in other ways.

I have also learned that with a cellphone, you can get certain apps that can allow you to have mapping GPS capability whether or not you are in cell range. I have no tried it but I think that is the cheapest option if you already own a smart phone. I will get back when I can remember or find the name of the app. I think it's only $20..

10-Dec-14
Yeah I don't have a smartphone. My phone is dumb.

10-Dec-14
Oh well, Gaia, Motion-x, Trimble Backpacker and Trimble Pro apps have their followers, and based on some threads on here, there are many who say they leave their GPS at home and use their phone, so you upgrading your phone and buying a cheap app is still an option with value. Although battery life is an issue for wilderness hunts.

Just do a search on GPS here on Bowsite and you will get some good reviews, but many swear by Garmin.

11-Dec-14
IMO Some of the most basic unit's are good enough.It really comes down to what features you feel are must haves.

11-Dec-14
I have the garmin montana 650, been using it now for 3 years, great unit, use it for ice fishing and hunting

11-Dec-14
Unless you need maps showing public/private, get the cheap yellow etrex.

11-Dec-14
Any of the Etrex are simple to use.

11-Dec-14
You mention very simple, reliable, and affordable. With that in mind, I agree you can't do better than the Garmin etrex! Been using one for years.

12-Dec-14
Garmin Oregon 600

Really nice 400 Bass pro.

12-Dec-14
Oregon 450. Got mine on sale from Amazon for $140. The only issue is battery life. I'm going to buy some lithium rechargables.

12-Dec-14
oregon 450T as well. Great GPS other than batteries. I have a lot of stuff turned off and screen brightness down and a set will last almost 2 days, if they are decent bateries.

12-Dec-14
I don't know how you could ever go wrong with a garmin Dakota 20.....$159 new at bass pro online..it does everything an etrex does plus it is touch tone !! It is the best deal out there for a quality gps with micro sd capability, electronic compass and unit to unit communication....IMHO.

Joe

12-Dec-14
E-Trex 30

12-Dec-14
I have the Oregon 450T that sits in the closet. Get a smartphone and download Trimble Pro.

12-Dec-14
Don't laugh but I have a garman back track, simple as Forest Gump but I still use my compass.

12-Dec-14
OOPS, my bad............the backtrack is a bushnell

13-Dec-14
62st from Garmin served me well this year.

13-Dec-14
JamesV ...PM sent......

14-Dec-14
I just dropped some coin on a garmin 62s. On sale at cabelas for 200. Great reviews and 50% off.

15-Dec-14
garmin Dakota 20

15-Dec-14
I have the lowrance Endura and I'm pretty happy with it.

Easy to use lots of features

20-Dec-14
I will sell a never used, but turned on, Garmin Oregon 600 for 300.00 shipped to your door. All cables, caribiner clip, instructions, etc. I was given a 650 camera version and have no need for the 600. It has never been out of my driveway.

They are 400.00 retail at the stores.

29-Dec-14
Good one for sale here!

29-Dec-14
"affordable" to me means get a higher end unit by e-bay, etc.

Decide what you are looking for first. The Garmin 60csx is a great unit, good size screen, color, fast and will even acquire satellites in canyons and under trees. A bit better at that IMO than the newer unit I just picked up. I think it's been discontinued which makes it more affordable yet but still supported with map cards, etc. like new used units are decently priced.

I just upgraded to a rino 650 (ebay) like new, works great. (655 I think has a camera as well) Lots of places I hunt don't have cell service, have to use radios. My hunting partner has a rino as well. The unit is a bit heavier than the 60 I had, but still a good bit lighter than the gps and the radio together. I didn't think I'd use the "locator" function much (you can see the location of another rino user by radio) but found I used it quite a bit more than I thought I would. Plus you can copy and send waypoints to other rinos and even send text messages if you want. Pretty cool.

29-Dec-14
I have the 450t currently and it sucks... Screen brightness has to be all the way down to last a couple days and with it down its impossible to see the map in bright light. Oh did I mention the battery life sucks. Also compared to a smart phone the touch screen is archaic and clunky to use. Where you touch on the screen is 1/4" away from where it senses it. I'll test some others and upgrade in a year or two. I am a Garmin fan, just not the 450t....

(I use mine with Energizer Lithiums)

One of the positives is the Birdseye imagery ability...

• Sitka Gear