wild1 16-Dec-14
Nick Muche 16-Dec-14
elmer@laptop 16-Dec-14
razorsharp 18-Dec-14
Nick Muche 18-Dec-14
TEmbry 18-Dec-14
razorsharp 20-Dec-14
16-Dec-14
Well, the application period for Alaska drawing permits just closed last evening. Many of the moose permits I usually apply for were not available, so......I did something different. Applied for a tier 1 caribou permit. With this permit I can only hunt in one specific part of Alaska for either caribou or moose. The cool thing about the Tier 1 caribou permit is that you are guaranteed to get a permit, it isn't a drawing permit. And there are a lot of moose in the area. So...

My 2015 September is set, moose and caribou hunting in unit 13. And brown/grizz and wolf are also an option if I see one. The area I will be hunting has probably too much atv access, but one area is walk in only. The walk in area is where I will concentrate. In normal years there are hundreds of caribou migrating through every day. But , 2 years ago was not normal and while I had a drawing permit for the area, in 2 weeks we only saw 16 total.

I am excited to say the least!! Also looking forward to black bear hunting in the spring. We are going to be trying out a couple new spots for black bear since the area me and my friends have hunted the past 10 years is now closed because of construction of a railroad spur line.

In the drawing permits, I did apply for bison and a couple local brown bear hunts. So I will still be anticipating and hoping for those!!

16-Dec-14
Good plan!!

16-Dec-14
$120 down the drain for me :)

Good luck Elmer!

16-Dec-14
Thanks Nick. You too!

I have been applying for the delta bison permit for 28 years without getting it. I consider it part of my annual giving!

18-Dec-14
So if you don't draw they keep the total amount??

18-Dec-14
Yes

18-Dec-14
The total amount is only $5 or $10 per draw though, so it's not a huge hit... unless you take Nicks approach and apply for 25 hunts! :)

20-Dec-14
I see.

• Sitka Gear