lareva 21-Dec-14
Jaquomo 21-Dec-14
Stick 21-Dec-14
Jaquomo 21-Dec-14
Stick 22-Dec-14
cityhunter 22-Dec-14
Stick 22-Dec-14
18-Dec-14
Hello everyone I'm looking at Elk Hunting in Colorado in Sep. 2015....I have been Hunting Elk and mule deer for 20 years so I know what I'm doing I don't need Help with that...lol I am looking to meet some other Traditional Bow Hunters for a 1-2 week camp to hunt elk in the rut...I would be driving up from east Texas in September...I'm looking for about 10-15 hunters to join up... anyone want to talk about it just let me know... Thanks Harvey

19-Dec-14
WOW! 10 to 15 seems like a ton, from my experience I have never seen a camp that had more than 4 to 5 hunters in it! I have a hard time sharing camp with 2 or 3 guys!

19-Dec-14
Over on the leather wall there is an annual hunt where they rent yerts in SW CO

19-Dec-14
Over on the leather wall there is an annual hunt where they rent yerts in SW CO

20-Dec-14
I know of a big hunt like that for trad wounded vets and "buddies" where they rent hurts in N CO. Don't believe an elk has ever been killed but they eat well and have a good time. I know the area, and they just have too many hunters for it.

4-5 is about right for a big camp. More than that and you're pushing elk around, running into each other, potential for conflicts. That happened when we had 7 and a LOT of elky country to hunt.

21-Dec-14
10-15 ......are you looking to hunt elk or set out to discover and settle the 51st state

21-Dec-14
"I know of a big hunt like that for trad wounded vets and "buddies" where they rent hurts in N CO. Don't believe an elk has ever been killed but they eat well and have a good time. I know the area, and they just have too many hunters for it. 4-5 is about right for a big camp. More than that and you're pushing elk around, running into each other, potential for conflicts. That happened when we had 7 and a LOT of elky country to hunt."

X2

In fact, if you were to hunt N.F. you are not permitted to have a group that large.

21-Dec-14
Fnshtr, I know of a camp on NF here in CO with 7 RVs and big trailers, several other tent and camper hunters, multiple generators, satellite TV, a little community courtyard in the middle of a circle of RVs. Might be a dozen or more hunters at any given time. I think they got a cow a couple years ago.

21-Dec-14
The guy in N. Colorado that organizes that hunt goes by the handle of "crossedarrows." Used to be on this site a lot. Lives close to Fort Collins. Haven't seen him on here for a while. His place was involved in that big forest fire a few years back. Although his home did not burn a lot of area around did. larvea

21-Dec-14
Yes, I know him. Bob, Good guy, lives in the next canyon over. After the fire he got hammered with flash floods and mud/debris slides, so he's busy keeping his place together. But I understand the hunt continued on.

21-Dec-14
Lou is correct about that hunt and Bob's issues with the fires and flooding, however the hunt is not being put together as before and last year there were only two of us from the original group plus his friend from Wis. that came out..I have been there every year and we did have some great times. Lots of traffic and ATVs in the area, but still a not so bad of a hunt. I miss seeing Robert and all the guys, but I think with the economical situation the last few years most of the fellows kind of fell by the wayside. I really enjoy elk hunting no matter the number of elk seen,or shots taken and hope in the future we can make it happen again, especially for the vets. What a great bunch of guys, most just back from multiple tours in the deserts of Iraq, Afghanistan, or some other terrible place. They loved the chance of, if not shooting but just seeing an elk and being in the mountains of Colorado. Best of luck putting together a hunt. I am sure you will have a great time no matter the number of guys in camp.

Mike

21-Dec-14
Thanks for the update, Mike. I organized a wounded vet fly fishing event this summer and it was great to see how the participants responded. No doubt an elk hunt would be equally great. I always admired Bob for doing what he did with that.

22-Dec-14
I tell ya Lou, Bob and his wife worked like slaves,they set up a cook yurt and had hot food all day..it was amazing the amount of time and work that those two put in for everyone, not just the vets...it was great but the real reward for me was watching the wounded vets, some really had a lot of physical handicaps get out there and hunt.. I was so proud of them for what they had been through for their country. As for you, that was a great thing you did for the vets. This country owes them so much..I just wish that there had been more elk in that area so they could have at least gotten to see elk on their hunt. A few were seen and I called in one bull, but got busted by the wind, imagine that. The biggest events where the cookouts and dinner each evening with everyone showing up and sharing not only the days events, but traditional hunting and making new friends. It would be great to get a bunch of them and new vets together again.

22-Dec-14
I hunt elk to get away from people !!

22-Dec-14
City, I hear ya and I love being way in the woods away from people, but this hunt is giving something back to our vets. A lot of these guys have difficulty walking, so it is a team effort to get some of them into the woods far enough to call it a hunt. That is why the evenings are a group get together, to share special times with them.

• Sitka Gear