Contributors to this thread:
stick n string 19-Dec-14
KY EyeBow 19-Dec-14
stick n string 19-Dec-14
KY EyeBow 19-Dec-14
stick n string 19-Dec-14
Bowfreak 19-Dec-14
19-Dec-14
My 2 brothers, dad and I are possibly planning to head to western kentucky for a 5 or so day hunt this spring. First, what will the dates of the season be? And is there a specific part of the season that is usually better hunting? We supposedly will have access to a couple private farms that dont get turkey hunted, but are also hoping there is some state ground nearby in case we need it. How receptive are private landowners in the area as far as stopping and asking permission to hunt turkeys there? The area i believe is near Henderson. Im pretty excited to load up the bow and blind to head down, but got lots of planning to get straightened out first. Thanks for any info, fellas.

19-Dec-14
Go to fw.ky.gov I'm not sure of the actual days have been released by the KDFWR yet although the season usually opens on the second Saturday in April and runs thru the first weekend on May. Higginson-Henry WMA should be close to where you are going and it is "bow only", so that would be my suggestion to you for public. I would say you would have to be extremely lucky in order to find someone that would let you hunt on private as leasing has been prevalent for the last 15-20 years. Good luck!

19-Dec-14
Thanks a lot KY. I checked the website and they dont have any dates for next year up yet. Do u know if the regular season normally opens on the second saturday, or does the youth season open then? I have a garage door convention in indiana i have to attend for work the 9th thru the 12th of april, so im really really hoping the season comes in the 12th. Then i can drive straight down to meet up with my brothers and dad and make one long trip out of it instead of making long trips from my girls 2 separate weeks. A bow only area, that is sweet! You know if it gets hunted hard or not? Might look into that as our backup. Thanks again, and any more info certainly appreciated

19-Dec-14
From what I see, I will expect the general season to start on April 11th. I've never hunted Higginson Henry or heard much about the turkey hunting there. It is far enough away that I've never hunted it although I think it should be good due to no firearms hunting for deer or turkey, although I did just see a proposed regulation change to allow crossbows there in 2015........ You should be in for a good trip. KY and TN, both, are great places to kill Eastern's.

19-Dec-14
Awesome. Thanks, KY.

19-Dec-14
KY used to open spring turkey season on the 15th. Then it went to the Saturday closest to the 15th. I don't think it will open on the 18th so I would be willing to bet that the season will open on 4/11 with youth season the weekend before.

• Sitka Gear