standswittaknife 31-Dec-14
Bowhunter 31-Dec-14
Ishy Isomer 31-Dec-14
IdyllwildArcher 31-Dec-14
Ishy Isomer 31-Dec-14
Busta'Ribs 01-Jan-15
21-Dec-14
Hi guys,

Just wanting to see what's put forward in regards to good hunting reads... Be it bow, rifle... africa, North America... All of the above.

Many thanks,

ak.

21-Dec-14
Barebow

21-Dec-14
"Bows On The Little Delta" by Glenn St. Charles, is a good read

21-Dec-14
Fred Bear field notes

21-Dec-14
Capsticks books on Africa are great. Also "the last ivory hunter"

21-Dec-14
One With the Wilderness, Mike Mitten!

My personal preference is North America! Enjoy!

21-Dec-14
Alaskan Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G.O Young. Written in 40's...tremendous book.

Merry Christmas! Mike

21-Dec-14
Anything by Tom Kelly or Peter Hathaway Capstick....

21-Dec-14
One of the best books I have ever read is The old pro turkey hunter by Gene Nunnery

21-Dec-14
One With the Wilderness by Mike Mitten is a great read!

22-Dec-14
I personally love anything by Don Thomas...

Keep it coming guys. Need some Christmas books!

22-Dec-14
Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly ( Turkey Hunting )

The Witchery of Archery by Maurice Thompson

22-Dec-14

Pete_H's Link
For the lighter side of things it's hard to go past Bill Heavey. I think he is a lot more like most of us than most of us would want to admit!! You will laugh out loud for sure!

22-Dec-14

Pete_H's Link
Also, for me there are great outdoors books that don't even have to focus on hunting for a hunter to find thoroughly enjoyable. Rather than me try to describe it just read a few of the Amazon reviews. In some small ways this book changed my life.

22-Dec-14

Pete_H's Link
And finally I recommend this if your want to know what true African hunting was like in Zambia pre-1970 without it being a high-profile or famous PH like Capstick.

Seriously check this out - you will feel like you're there (and feel slightly Italian but it's still great)

Kindle edition is under 10 bucks and well worth it.

22-Dec-14
The Best of Corey Ford.

Best book on hunting or the outdoors I have read in 65-years of reading. Also enjoyed "Trailing a Bear", written by Fred Bear's cameraman, Robert S. Muncer.

22-Dec-14
Dwight Schuh's old "Bugling for Elk" is a good one, and takes you back into how elk hunting was in the days before videos and DVDs.

One of my all-time favorites is David Petersen's compilation of great essays, "A Hunter's Heart". Some of the world's greatest writers who also hunted are featured here. Every hunter who enjoys serious literature should have this book. A classic.

22-Dec-14
Another vote for "Alaskan-Yukon trophies Won and Lost."

Also consider:

"Pondoro", "Use Enough Gun", "The Old Man and the Boy", "Something of Value".

22-Dec-14
Bowriter agree with you about the Corey Ford book,what did you think of "The Road to Tinkhamtown? Powerful and thought provoking,still get moved by it every time I read it.

22-Dec-14
I am currently reading African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt. It is his field notes and writings of his one-year safari in East Africa in 1910, following his U.S. president term. Most enlightening, entertaining and educational. WARNING: This book would not make the best books on political correctness today.

23-Dec-14
Bowriter agree with you about the Corey Ford book,what did you think of "The Road to Tinkhamtown? Powerful and thought provoking,still get moved by it every time I read it.

Best story of all time.

23-Dec-14
Amen on Tinkhamton.

Read it once, and it's so good you about memorize it word for word.

23-Dec-14
I 3rd the Best of Corey Ford. The Road to Tinkhamtown is an incredible piece. I have a hardback edition of the Best of Corey Ford that my Dad gave me a long time ago. Correct if I'm wrong but I think Ford also wrote a story called "You Can't Go Back". That one hit home with me because I had a similar experience.

Another of my all-time favorites is Two Little Savages by Ernest Thompson Seton. It's a great book to give to a young boy who is showing interest in the outdoors. It shows how to makes bows, tipi's, tan hides and other such things. I first read this book when I was about 8 yrs. old. Read it many times since.

I also like the works of Nash Buckingham. His portrayal of waterfowl and quail hunting in the early days is special stuff.

23-Dec-14
I have the Best of Corey Ford sitting on my night stand. Been awhile since I've read Ford. Think I will read Tinkhamton tonight.

23-Dec-14
Got to put Robert Ruark in there The Old Man and the Boy is priceless Lewis

23-Dec-14
"The Way We Were- The Final Years" by Russell Annabel " Meet Mr Grizzly" by Montauge Stevens "Grizzly Country" by Russell Annabel

23-Dec-14
got to mention Gene and Barry

23-Dec-14
Some good reading so far. I would add these to the list:

I have a couple about Africa in the 1840's by Roualeyn George Gordon-Cummings...."Five Years.." and "The Lion Hunter"

"Brave" by Steve Mathis

"My Way of Becomming a Hunter" by Robert Rockwell

and anything by Pat McManus for a little humor.

23-Dec-14
Any of the Wensel's(spelling) stuff. I like "Come November". - Chuck Adams Super Slam. - The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson. - Have bow will travel, E. Donell Thomas. - John "Maggie" McGee wrote a book in the Mid 80's that I am trying to find again. - M R James "unforgettable", is a good one. - If Monty Browning ever publishes his book it would be a great read. - To Heck with elk hunting, Jim Zumbo

23-Dec-14
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen is one of my favorite outdoor reads. Phenomenal book for introducing young people to the outdoors but also a tremendous story for old guys too.

23-Dec-14
In pursuit of trophy whitetails, Whitetail Magic, Whitetail Masters, and the Wensel's books.

23-Dec-14
Another vote for "Bows On The Little Delta" by Glenn St. Charles, is a good read.

24-Dec-14
Lewis,

Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy" and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" are classics. Love those books!

24-Dec-14
Capsticks are great reads.

24-Dec-14
An Empty Quiver: A Lifetime of Bowhunting Adventures by Dr. David Samuel

a buddy of mine's friend... great read... trust me.

24-Dec-14
Capsticks Death in the long grass, and Chuck Adams Super Slam are my favorites.

24-Dec-14
Rober Ruark's Horn of the Hunter is a real classic. I have currently read Hemmingways Green Hills of Africa and believe it pales in comparison to Horn of the Hunter.

24-Dec-14
Mike Mitten's One with the Wilderness, Tom Miranda's Quest for the NA 29. Both books by Chuck Adams, Super Slam and Life at full Draw.

24-Dec-14
My hardback edition of "The Best of Corey Ford" has been read so much it is about to fall apart. Although I never met him, he was one of my early mentors. One of the most memorable things ever said about me (good things), was when I was given an award by OWAA for best ooutdoor magazine story for "A Deer For Charlie". The presenter said it made him think of Corey Ford.

I took that as a supreme compliment.

I also enjoy re-reading some of the old Faulkner tales about hunting with Sam Feathers. There is a great deal of good reading in books that one would not normally consider "hunting" books.

24-Dec-14
I picked up Jim Corbett's Omnibus. Two books with all the stories about his hunting in India for maneaters but also growing up hunting and some on Africa. Good reading for sure. Hard to put down once you start.

24-Dec-14
I am reading "Wild Men, Wild Alaska" by Rocky McElveen, it's hard to put down.

I also liked Rinella's book Meateater, it was a great read.

28-Dec-14
I just finished Rinellas book also... Great read and I enjoyed his story telling.

28-Dec-14
"The Frontiersmen" by Allan W, Eckert.

-Joe

29-Dec-14
Mike MItten's One with the Wilderness is a GREAT book Howard Hill - Hunting the Hard Way and Wild Adventure Pope- Adventurous Bowman Bob Swineheart - Sagitarius (probably my all time favourite) Fred Bear- Field Notes ( love it even more now that I have hunted in the shadow of some of the areas he mentioned in the book) Anything by Don Thomas is a wonderful read

My wife bought me Bows on the Little Delta for Christmas, can't wait to tear into that one.

I'd like to read Lions in the Path by Stewart Edward White and am greatly anticipating both Monty Browning's book and the long anticipated book surrounding Paul Schafer.

29-Dec-14
For light and hilarious: A Thousand Campsfires, Jay Massey

For adventurous: Longbow Country (or anything else) by E. Donnell (Don) Thomas

For deep and thoughtful: A Hunter's Heart, David Petersen

For historical significance of bowhunting: Ishi, Kroeber Bows on the Little Delta, Glenn St Charles anything about Fred Bear

29-Dec-14
+1 for Meateater by Rinella

Precision Bowhunting - Eberhart

Creeks & Ditches - Bill Winke

29-Dec-14
"Hunter" by John A. Hunter. This book is about the early days of Safari and Mr. Hunters adventures as a game manager/hunter dealing with Maneaters etc...

29-Dec-14
+3 on Meat eater only about 20 pages into It at this point but loving every page

29-Dec-14
Jenny Willow is a great fiction on bird dogs and grouse hunting.

Capstick and Corbett are my favorites for actual adventure.

30-Dec-14
That Howard Hill book 'hunting the hard way' I think it was pretty good.

Love the Don Thomas stuff

One that is pretty rare, "They call me hunter" story of a bear hunter in arizona in the good old days with his mule Blue- great book

I have "longbow" and another couple I can't think of right now if someone wants to trade for "Bows on the little delta"

30-Dec-14
For an entertaining read I second Capstick. I don't gun hunt but he really has a funny way of coming across.

31-Dec-14

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
Shadows over the Koyukuk by Sidney Huntington is a GREAT read. It is one of the most incredible true stories by an amazing man living and growing up in remote Alaska.

31-Dec-14
My favorite book is called Ghostkeeper. It is written by an old Indian named Cam Ghostkeeper, he used to write some articles for bugle magazine. Some great stories!!

31-Dec-14
Great thread! I have a lot of reads to look forward to! Love Chuck Adams Super Slam

31-Dec-14
Meateater by Steven Rinella is a good book, but I think his masterpiece was American Buffalo.

I'm currently reading Mike Mitten's book. It's making waiting for my Coues hunt that much harder. I'm so looking forward to several days without seeing a soul. Mike, I ordered it new only cause you post here! I'm expecting an autograph!

Thanx for the recommendation Lou, I ordered "A Hunter's Heart." Sounds great. I was surprised to see Jimmy Carter wrote one of the essays. Looks like a pretty eclectic bunch, it outta be good.

31-Dec-14
Would be cool if bowsite would consider cataloging all these on one page... a wealth of info

01-Jan-15
The Longwalkers by Jerry A. Lewis is perhaps the best book ever written about Cougar hunting. Great read if you can get your hands on a copy.

• Sitka Gear