Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
BusAL 23-Dec-14
oldgoat 23-Dec-14
Hollywood 23-Dec-14
Fuzzy 23-Dec-14
oldgoat 23-Dec-14
23-Dec-14
I've split a hanging deer in half down the middle with four whacks with mine. I like it for some of the jobs you mentioned and more.

My buddy and I got ours resharpened by the factory (I think) a couple years ago for not much more than shipping costs. You may want to check on that, they may still do it.

23-Dec-14
I love it, good skinning knife, good for cutting steaks, I just hit it on the steel so far, but I don't get that many opportunities to use it. It is extremely heavy if you were thinking about packing it in hunting, more of a processing at home knife in my opinion!

23-Dec-14
That steel is really hard, once you lose the factory edge, there's a lot of work getting it back.

Seems like a pretty spendy knife to be whacking saplings with when you can get into a gerber "zombie-killer" machete or similar for camp work for a fraction of the price.

23-Dec-14
I have an Old Hickory cleaver I use for butchering, but it's way too much blade to carry in the woods, a stiff 4 to 5" drop point blade of good, hard steel is best for hunting use IMO.

23-Dec-14
Ever watch Eichler do the gutless method on you tube, he takes apart an elk in seconds with a leatherman 3" knife. No reason to chop through bones unless your local game laws make you haul out more than what I'm used too.

• Sitka Gear