eddie c 01-Jan-15
master guide 02-Jan-15
Wayne Helmick 02-Jan-15
tradmt 03-Jan-15
TurkeyBowMaster 03-Jan-15
Stringpuller 03-Jan-15
Salagi 03-Jan-15
31-Dec-14
I believe strongly in predator management, but I have an ethical dilemna with killing an animal and not eating it. iguess I am the hunting version of a "tree hugger" or a greenie, whatever you want to call me.

I have a hankering for coyote hunting; does anyone eat them? If so how do you cook them? Or am I just crazy.....

31-Dec-14
You said it...no need to comment further!

31-Dec-14
We have a bunch of Philipinos at work. I'm snaring them. Gave them 3 to try. They haven't cooked them yet. When they do I'll let ya know. :(

31-Dec-14
Had the same thought myself once, years ago.

Shot a 'yote and skinned it quick. I removed the back straps and a nice circle of meat from each hind. Took them home to cook. When I took the meat out of the bag it had a slightly rotting, putrid smell to it. Figured it was my mind telling my nose that it smelled like coyote. I rolled one strap in flour and put it in the frying pan. Well the stink magnified and started to fill the kitchen. Out it went and never to be tried again. I've eaten a lot of different creatures from starlings to porcupines to bears and lots in between. But coyote is way off my list. The only way I'd eat coyote is if Tofu or veggy burger was the only alternative.

31-Dec-14
As long as there are fast cars and slow possums, I won't be having coyote for dinner.

31-Dec-14
I guess you could eat any type flesh. But I would strongly advise you not to eat a yote. Man they are scavengers. Much like a buzzard. Would you eat a buzzard?

31-Dec-14
I watched an episode of Meat Eater last week where he killed and cooked a coyote. He was pretty reluctant to eat it but said it wasn't bad. That said.... I'm not planning to eat one any time soon. I have no problem killing coyotes and feeding them to the birds.

31-Dec-14
The only thing that smells worse than coyote is wolf.

31-Dec-14

Season Ticket's Link
I too, was like you and inquired about it the first time I shot one and was told not to. I did some research and found that people do it them, but they are not good. I attached a video of Steven Rinella and Remi Warren, Hunt and Cook a Coyote. I don't think they will be doing it again anytime soon. For now, I just take pleasure of utilizing the hide (much like a Trapper does) and doing my part to help save my deer herd.

31-Dec-14

Season Ticket's Link
Here is an article on it:

http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.com/2011/02/eating-coyote.html

31-Dec-14
And how about a Cockroach, would you consider eating them also?

31-Dec-14
Not a chance unless I was starving. However I would kill as many as possible, take the hides and let the other scavengers do their thing.

31-Dec-14
They are a furbearer....you can feel good about killing any furbearer and selling or utilizing their hide.

31-Dec-14
Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." genesis 1:26

From the beginning we have been given dominion over all animals. There's no need to justify every kill. If you want to justify, the hide alone is enough. Your waste will be food for another animal.

To your question I've never eaten one and most likely never will. Coyotes get my calves, many deer and other domestic animals. I don't have one ounce of remorse for shooting a coyote and letting the crows and buzzards have it.

31-Dec-14
Kill a coyote. Skin, flesh and stretch the hide. Sell it. Take the money and buy a steak. That's the best way to eat a coyote and soothe your conscience.

31-Dec-14
for real?

31-Dec-14
Skin one, you will never want eat one after that.

31-Dec-14
"Man they are scavengers"

And that's your criteria for not eating something?

You need to spend some time on a farm watching "free range" chickens. They'll follow a cow around all day, waiting for a steaming hot lunch to hit the ground!

People eat black bears all the time, and they're scavengers. So are raccoons. Mallard ducks will snarf-up dead fish. Don't even stop to watch what the feral hogs are eating, because it might be you!

OK, after that rant, though, I'll say I won't be eating coyotes, largely because of how I feel about dogs and they are part of the canine family.

I do, though, understand your reluctance to kill them.

31-Dec-14
like Ambush, I can't get past the smell. I love bobcat and cougar, muskrat and groundhog, but not coyote.

I still kill em and don't bat an eye though

31-Dec-14
I confess! I ate coyote salami at the National Trappers Association convention in Oklahoma back in the 1980's. A year after that I caught and skinned 116 coyotes and never ate a one. Go figure.

31-Dec-14
I would think that an ever growing Asian population would be a great market for coyote meat. Organic dog should bring top dollar in the big city:;)

31-Dec-14
Sureshot your on to something!

31-Dec-14
Quote Writer; "People eat black bears all the time, and they're scavengers."

True and I've eaten lots of bear meat. But get one that's been feasting on salmon and it will turn your stomach.

Coyotes and coyote meat stink. And I'll be honest I didn't take a bite to see if it tasted like it smelled when frying.

But it is strange that cougar and especially lynx taste good?

31-Dec-14
Hey Ambush: Coyote might taste a whole lot better with a side dish of gland lure gravy. Or maybe not.

31-Dec-14
Woof! Sorry. OOOFFFF.

Somewhere between no and h@ll no.

31-Dec-14
Cje has it right. Once you skin one the memory of the smell will take care of any desire you have to eat it. I feel the same way about coon. Skin enough of em and every thing you have including your farts will smell like a coon. For weeks. No way I'm eating coyote or coon. You're nuts if you do.

31-Dec-14
I snared one a couple of years ago. When I skinned it it didn't stink (which is highly unusual in my experience). So, in my willingness to try most anything that resembles food once, I took the loins and fried them. It was actually pretty good. Granted I'd much rather have deer meat, but it was more than edible. That said, I would cook and eat another one IF I could ever get one that didn't stink to high heaven when I skinned it.

And as a side note, it was better than that grey fox I tried a couple of weeks later.

31-Dec-14
Coon n sweet taters are a delicasy in the south...coyote not so much. Bobcat has the prettiest meat...the hole thing looks like quail breast....white meat = fast twich muscle. .dark = endurance.

31-Dec-14
I bury them in my garden, dont leave them there or you will be feeding the other yotes. As for eating one, I'll pass on that. R-man

31-Dec-14
I took a buddy coyote hunting a couple of years ago. He was fairly new to hunting and had a moral dilemma with killing an animal and not eating it much like I did at one point in my life. Today, I do not shoot animals and leave them lay but I don't have to eat it either, just make use of it in some form or fashion. We shot three coyotes and I promised him I would try some if he wanted to cook it up but I advised him they smell putrid, not just the hide but the carcass also. I skinned a young male and pulled out the backstraps. He made french and onion coyote soup out of it. When the spoon approached my mouth I could smell the distinct overpowering smell of yote. I shoveled it in my mouth and almost puked. Frecnh and onion soup has never been the same since. Worst thing ever but I tried it, never again.

31-Dec-14
Ditto cje.

The smell will take away any desire to eat one.

31-Dec-14
Some great comments on this thread.

I shot a 40 lb yote one morning, my biggest ever. Fur was great so I skinned him to do a rug. Three of my daughters, all under 10 years old, were watching me skin him and wanted to know if we could eat him. They figured we ate everything dad brought home.

I had them move downwind. The looks on their faces was priceless. When I told them the smell was the coyote, they lost their appetites. Coyote fell off the menu.

31-Dec-14
Eating coyote?

Why............you run out of carp and crow?

31-Dec-14
Heck, I don't even pick them up for a picture and you are talking about eating them??

31-Dec-14
No yotes on my menu, along with coons, possums, cats of any kind, nor feral hogs. I know, and I've eaten hogs in the past, but I got over that ! Besides , coyotes got to eat something !

31-Dec-14
Apparently coyote doesn't have the following beaver does.....

31-Dec-14
Eat a coyote ?? .... Whiskey- Tango- Foxtrot.... I don't eat prairie dogs either.

31-Dec-14
writer, I don't/won't eat those animals you listed. Well, I will occasionally eat chicken..but it ain't my favorite.

31-Dec-14
Skin one and then decide if you want to eat it. I love trapping them, but do they ever stink when skinning them. They eat anything rotten or not, and if you open their gut, you won't believe the worms some carry.

31-Dec-14
When you start pulling down the hide and the pressure pushes that turd out....sort of puts a a craving on ya

31-Dec-14
When you start pulling down the hide and the pressure pushes that turd out....sort of puts a a craving on ya

01-Jan-15
There were some Laotian guys that worked at a machine shop I used to do business with. They guys in the shop used to bring the ones they shot and trapped to them. They put so many hot peppers in about everything I bet about any meat would work. When they microwaved stuff it was like getting hit with pepper spray.

01-Jan-15
About 20 years ago I talked to guy that had a job of shooting coyotes on ranches out west. He said the only thing he saw that would eat a yote was another yote. He said he had never seen a buzzard eat one.

02-Jan-15
Caution , Caution, Caution, hunters. coyotes carry a deadly disease to humans called Hidaded, After contact with a carrier humans develop a Hidaded Cist in the liver that is terminal in all cases in the United States. About a dozen cases each year. Wear your gloves when skinning, and don't even think of eating.

02-Jan-15
Only thing I've ever seen eat a coyote was eagles. I can't wait to try some bobcat, mt lion and beaver. And I've ate squirrel, coon, rabbit, groundhog, rattlesnake, and all the game animals I have killed but coyote aint on the to do list.

03-Jan-15
Like Josey Wales said.." buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"....

03-Jan-15
To be on the totally safe side, eat only split toed cud chewing animals, scaled fish, and birds like chicken, quail, and turkey. All the reasons not to eat the others are still present so you are basically taking a chance when eating them. That being said...I love pork chops and catfish.

03-Jan-15
I have eaten a lot of off the wall things in my life but I would at least try it before I say what Josey Wales says, "Worms got to eat too". My grandparents were very old school and ate stuff that that made me shutter. I watched my Grandmother fry fresh cow brains up for my grandfather and he gobbled them up like someone was going to take them away from him. Watched him and my uncles on butchering day shoot the steer stick it in the throat and catch the blood in a big old cup and pass it around like a good bottle of whiskey. Head cheese, souse, liverwurst, limburger cheese (yuck, couldn't do it),bull balls (yummy) even ate a Robin once and it wasn't bad. Got to at least try different things just make sure it is cooked right.

03-Jan-15

Salagi's Link
"Caution , Caution, Caution, hunters. coyotes carry a deadly disease to humans called Hidaded, After contact with a carrier humans develop a Hidaded Cist in the liver that is terminal in all cases in the United States. "

I'm assuming you mean Hydatid disease? (and I am not making fun of your spelling, I had to look it up to make sure). It is a tapeworm. Eating coyotes should not cause an infection unless you eat the poop. It is pretty nasty and hard to get rid of according to the CDC, but most infections come from exposure to dogs.

I can think of many other reasons for not eating coyotes, although as I mentioned in an earlier post I have eaten one and it wasn't bad. In the words of one old man when asked what the difference was between what he would or wouldn't eat, "about 24 hours."

• Sitka Gear