Bow Crazy 12-Feb-15
Ole Coyote 12-Feb-15
Truckie 12-Feb-15
Mike Vines 12-Feb-15
Mike Vines 02-Mar-15
midwest 02-Mar-15
Z Barebow 02-Mar-15
31-Dec-14
I have been talking about this in another thread for a while. This thread will be a 30 day workout program designed around the bow hunter. I have been tossing around a million ideas on how to do this and have gotten a lot of good input from other members on Bowsite. Unfortunately everyone is different and no one set of workouts will be perfect for everyone. My goal is a 30 day program that anyone can do, some people will find it way to easy so if you are still on board you may need to ramp it up a bit (add reps, sets, weight ect..) If you find it’s too hard just do the best you can! Any exercise is better than none at all!!! I understand not everyone has access to a gym or weights so these exercises will be done with equipment most bow hunters will have at home. I also hope to have some other members contribute a workout or two so if you have one you would be willing to have on the list shoot me a PM.

I am by no means saying this is the best program out there. This is simply a 30 kick start to our exercise routines. If you don’t want to participate, no problem, I only ask that we only leave positive feedback for other members on here (feel free to bash me in PM) Yes there are other things we could be doing if everyone had access to a gym or track or weight set but for now we want to be as inclusive as possible.

So starting Jan 1 I will post daily workouts. (I will do my best to post the next workout the night before) Remember to push yourself to be the best you can. Good luck and stay healthy!

31-Dec-14
I'm in.

31-Dec-14
Sign me up. Thanks for doing this . HUNT

31-Dec-14
Orolly going to be after deer season before I get serious about thisbut I am catching a few exercises when I can. OO think dragging a tire is good conditioning for the mountains.

31-Dec-14
I'll add it into whatever I have for the gym that day when possible. Great idea regardless. Thanks!

31-Dec-14
Thiryy days is not a 'fitness' program.

Fitness is a year-round commitment and a lifetime commitment.

31-Dec-14
One of y'all do it twice and I'll be good to go !

31-Dec-14
I plan on doubling whatever drycreek does !!

31-Dec-14
I love the enthusiasm guys! My plan is to start out basic and build however for you guys that don’t find it hard enough feel free to double reps, add weight, or increase intensity however you see fit and please post what you did if you feel so inclined!

NvaGvUp your right! But everyone has to start somewhere so why not start now! This is by no way an all encompassing wellness program just a start.

As days get posted guys please post your thoughts (too easy, too hard, ect ..) so we can tweak as we go.

Stay tuned tomorrows workout coming soon!!!

31-Dec-14
Wuuuup wuuuuup(syringe sounds).....sir do you mind pulling your thread over...this is the fitness police.....and I am packing a gun as unusual. (Picture Barney Fith twisted nose sniff and wipe of said nose)

You are under arrest for falsifing a fitness program

01-Jan-15
Day 1 of 30 For the first couple days we are going to start of basic and work into some more difficult workouts. For those of you that are already exercising on a regular basis feel free to ramp it up however you see fit.

Today’s workout can be done in any order. If you can do ten pushups at a time do that then do ten sit ups, lunges ect. Then go back and do another set until you complete them all. Once all 50 pushups, sit-ups and lunges are complete its time for the cardio portion. Do the best you can here. If you’re not able to run then walk fast, if you’re not able to walk a mile fast then walk slow but try to go at least a mile. If you have bad knees but are good at cardio load up your pack and add some weight to your fast walk. You get the point. Good luck!

50 push ups 50 sit ups 50 lunges

1 mile walk/run

01-Jan-15
good luck to all do whatever u can !!!anything is better then nothing !

01-Jan-15
Great positive way to begin the New Year!

01-Jan-15
I already have a fitness program going that works for me. Good luck to everyone that decides to go along with this one. Just remember anything is better then nothing. Great way to start the new year.

01-Jan-15
Day 1 done, keeping a log on my iPad to track my progress. 1.2 miles in 27* with 15 mph winds was a breath taker. It's a whole lot easier keeping moose on my mind. :-)

01-Jan-15
Although I have my own year round fitness routine and I always eat smart.....I think this is a great idea and I will follow along! This is your chance guys if you want to make a difference in all of your life.

01-Jan-15
I already have a program of my own going year round but I hope this thread will inspire others to get started on a lifetime commitment to be in elk/sheep shape year round. I will be following along!

01-Jan-15
Count me in. I will do mine this evening. I have taken the last 4 months off so this will be a great way to get me started again.

01-Jan-15
Day 2 of 30

Pre requisite: Find a hill, the steeper the better. You will also need your pack or something weighing around 30-35 lbs

I hope everyone is feeling good after day one. Today we need to find a hill. If you have absolutely no hills nearby you can use stairs but you will be missing out. As for most of the workouts we are going to start with strength training and move into our cardiovascular training. Like yesterday I don’t expect you to do all of a specific exercise in one set. Do as many as you can then move on to the next exercise until all have been completed. Now on to our cardio, today we are going to run hills. All we are doing is running up the hill and walking down. Great you did one hill! Do it 19 more times!! Do your best and go as fast up the hill as you can, the walk down is your break! (If 20 is not enough or you're on a small hill feel free to do more, if you’re feeling especially tough throw your pack on for these)

60 squat jumps

60 triceps pushups

60 front shoulder raise

20 hills (40 if it’s a small hill)

Jump squats: Do a deep slow squat then jump out of it as high into the air as you can. Push yourself to jump as high as possible every time.

Tricep pushups: These are just like a normal pushup with your hands closer together. Your thumbs should barley touch at the tips. Make sure you are going deep and not cheating yourself.

Front shoulder raises: This is where you need your pack (or something heavy), fill it up with gear, sand, steel, whatever it takes to get the weight up around 30lbs. With both hands raise your pack in front of you over your head.

02-Jan-15
Day 2 done, but I will be doing a modified form of your Daily Workout. Your idea of doing this gym-less is a great help and gets us to think outside the box to exercise.

02-Jan-15
Kudos to rallying the troops. I already work out year around with variations between maintenance mode and ramping up/training mode (goal specific)

Biggest step you can take is making fitness part of your daily habit/lifestyle. You don't have to hammer every day, but do something.

Do think about whether you are going to brush your teeth today? Exercise should be thought of similarly.

02-Jan-15
Day 2 in the books, warmed up here in the Bitteroot so i was able to go outside and do the hill work 11 degrees today yahoo.

02-Jan-15
Day 3 of 30 Congratulations on making threw the first two days! I have been super impressed with all the support from members both participating and some just giving encouragement.

Today you are going to need a watch or timer, your pack (optional), and some stairs. If there is a high school football stadium great or tall building great! If you only have a single set of stairs in your house no problem these will work too.

Today’s resistance training will be 15 minutes long, that’s it! It will consist of burpees, mountain climbers, and leg lifts. (If you don’t know what these are don’t worry definitions will be at the bottom along with a link) We will start by doing 15 burpees, next 20 mountain climbers, and finally 20 leg lifts. Repeat as many rounds as possible in the 15 minute period. You will get tired so take short breaks as needed but try to keep pushing yourself to get as many as possible.

Next we will do 20 minutes on the stairs. If you are feeling ambitious bring your pack along for some added weight. I’m at work so I’ll be wearing my SCBA (aprox 25lbs). Now this isn’t supposed to be an easy 20 minutes so really push yourself and see how many flights you can get done in the 20 minute period. If you can run up the stairs run, if you can only walk them then do that.

15 minutes on the timer 15 burpees 20 mountain climbers 20 leg lifts Repeat

20 minutes on the timer Stairs, as many as possible

Below is the description of each exercise copied from http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere If there are any questions post them and we will get them answered. (or feel free to pm me)

Burpees: One of the most effective full-body exercises around, this one starts out in a low squat position with hands on the floor. Next, kick the feet back to a push-up position, complete one push-up, then immediately return the feet to the squat position. Leap up as high as possible before squatting and moving back into the push-up portion of the show.

Mountain Climber: Starting on your hands and knees, bring the left foot forward directly under the chest while straightening the right leg. Keeping the hands on the ground and core tight, jump and switch legs. The left leg should now be extended behind the body with the right knee forward.

Leg lift: Lay flat on your back, hands under your butt and legs extended straight out. Keeping your legs straight or a slight bend in the knees, use your abs to raise your feet straight up to the ceiling until your hips come up off of your hands. Next lower legs slowly. Try to stop your legs 1 inch from the ground, this will keep your abs engaged the entire time.

02-Jan-15
Razorhead- sounds good, good luck this week! Mike vanes- this is by no means a hard and fast rule as what to do for an exercise program just some ideas to get us working so thanks for being apart of it in some form. Zbarebow- I agree completely. Thanks for your input and the kind words. Muliemad- I'm right there with you northern Colorado has been frigid all week.

I'm really impressed with all the support guys. Keep it up! After all we are all on the same team.

I have week 1 workouts finished up, but I'm still looking for anyone who wants to have their workout be apart of our programs so please PM me your ideas if your willing.

03-Jan-15
Day 3 done.

03-Jan-15
Well at age 59 and thinking i was in pretty good shape those burpees and hill climbers kicked my ass!!! Twelve minutes was all i could do and i had to go find my lung but i took a 2 minute rest and finished it out.I better go sit in my tree stand while i can still sit.

03-Jan-15
Exactly Brian. I was grasping for air, like a fat kid eats cake.

03-Jan-15
This is great Truckie. I spend a lot of time traveling for work and a gym isnt an option a lot of time. Its going to help for sure. Thank you

03-Jan-15
Thanks for the updates guys. It is really important for me so I can judge what level the workouts should be at. I'm really glad to hear its helping. I do put a lot of work into it and to hear that people are getting a lot out of it makes it worth the effort! Hunting is a passion of mine and so is health and fitness so getting to getting to combine the two and share it with my Bowsite friends has been a lot of fun for me. Keep up the great work guys! Day 4 coming soon.

03-Jan-15
Day 4 of 30

Today will be focused on cardio only! I am a firm believer that strength training should not be done every day. It is important to rest our muscles in order to let them recover and grow. That being said we can still burn some calories and get the metabolism going. Today the workout is a 1.5 mile run/walk. As always if you’re able to run 1.5 miles do that, if you can only run part and walk some that’s fine too. Just keep pushing yourself. A good way to judge your intensity today is by your speech. You should be able to say 2-3 word sentences before taking a breath.

Stay focused and good luck!

04-Jan-15
Day 4 done. My shoulders say "Thank you" for the break.

04-Jan-15
Day 5 of 30

Today is leg day! We are going to do some endurance, agility, and cardio but it will all be focused on our legs. Why? Because although total fitness is important as bow hunters without our legs we can’t get to the game we seek. I understand this is truer out west where I’m from but this will be a good workout for any hunter.

One thing we need for today is a box or platform that we can jump up on to. This can be anything so if you don’t think you have something that will work you’re not being very creative. At work we use the large tailboard on the old fire truck. Also if you are feeling ambitious, your pack can provide some added weight.

Today’s workout consists of box jumps, air squats, high knee jumps (side to side) and walking lunges into sprints. Get these done in any order you like to complete the required reps. Box jumps: Stand feet shoulder width apart, jump up on the box. Air squats: These are just basic squats without weight. High knees: This motion will look like a slalom skier. Find a line or stick or anything and stand feet together on one side of the line parallel to it. Jump as high as possible knees to chest landing on the other side of the line. Then jump back to the original side in the same fashion. Each jump is one rep. Walking lunges into sprints: Do lunges alternating legs with each step. On the last lunge you will take off in a 75yard run (aprox distance). This is the one exercise where you should do all six before moving into your other workout.

40 box jumps 50 air squats 40 high knees (side to side) 6 sets of 6 walking lunges into sprints

Keep up the great work!

04-Jan-15
I'm also very excited because we will have some daily exercises coming next week from another bowsite member. Look for them starting either day 8 or 10 (I haven't decided yet but I will be sure to credit him)

05-Jan-15
Day 5 done.

05-Jan-15
Day 6 of 30

Life is full of choices and so is today! Today for each workout you will have two choices and you get to pick your exercise! The one thing about today is you must complete all the reps from the first choice workout before moving on to choice two! Although we have been doing our workout program together I truly believe that you should do what’s best for you and that is what today is about. So have fun today guy, tomorrow is the best day of the week!

Choice 1- 60 pushups or 40 burpees(see day two description) Choice 2- 60 leg lifts or 70 crunches Choice 3- 30 jump squats or 30 lunges Choice 4- 1.5 mile run/walk or 8, 100 yard sprints

Normally I wouldn’t tell you what the next day’s workout is but I think it’s important to know that tomorrow is our rest day! That’s right take the day off you have earned it. Let your body rest and recover. I’m not just giving you a break to be nice, REST DAYS ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Your body needs to recover. Even professional athletes take days off from their exercise programs to let their body’s rest. We are hunting athletes so we will do the same. If you didn’t get all the workouts in this week and want to take your rest another day feel free to do the day you missed.

I will still post something for day 7 of 30 so we don’t get off track. Great work so far everyone!

06-Jan-15
Day 6 Done.

06-Jan-15
Day 7 of 30

REST DAY!!!!! The best day of the week. Our bodies need to recover in order to grow and change. Take advantage of this by.... doing nothing at all. Even God rested on day seven so give yourself a break, you earned it.

07-Jan-15
Day 7 Done. HA!!! My legs could use a day off.

07-Jan-15
Mike how long did it take? Haha Thanks for posting!

07-Jan-15
Day 8 of 30

Today’s workout is brought to you by 406elkchasr! (and tomorrow, and the next day) Thanks for the contribution 406. The beauty of today is we will end with a score that we can use for comparison at the end of the program to see our progress. Today you will get 20 minutes to do as many rounds of squats, pushups, situps, burpees, and 100m sprints as possible. Set your clock 20 mins. Start with 20 squats, once finished do 20 pushups and so on until you finish with the 100 meter sprint. After you complete all of this you have done one round. Write down the total number of rounds you get done because we will do this exercise again near the end of the program to see how far we have come. Below is the workout list. All of the exercises have been explained in previous days if you need a description of something or feel free to contact me.

Max rounds in 20 minutes 20 squats 20 pushups 20 situps 20 burpees 100m sprint Repeat as many times as possible in the allotted time!

Go get some guys! If you’re willing please post your number when finished!

08-Jan-15
Day 8...Done. Alright how about something for us sedentary Longbow moose hunters??? These mountain hunter workouts are...oh never mind, dish up some more of this stuff.

I find it hard to believe I'm the only one still holding "strong". There has to be some other guys following along and improving themselves too???

08-Jan-15
This thread is great! It's good to see people excited about fitness. I have my own program, but today I decided after doing shoulders I would do this work out with ya'll. I was able to get 5 sets. Keep up the work guys and remember eating right is just as important as working out. Also if this lit a spark for you to start working then keep going after the 30 days! Make this a life style

Keith

08-Jan-15
I'll echo what arky said about diet. 5 or 6 meals a day, 1 serving of lean protein, 1 serving of high quality carbs, and all the veggies you can eat. If you are trying to lose fat, cut back on the carbs after midday. Not a short term diet....make it your lifestyle.

Eat clean, train dirty!

08-Jan-15
Ok started mine today.

Diet was 145 g protein total calorie intake was 1985 calories.

Workout was curls 2 sets of 15 at 25 lbs. Then two sets of 15 with 35 lbs.

Military presses was 4 sets of 10 at 110lbs.

Bench was two sets of 12 at 180 lbs. Then 2 sets of 12 at 220 lbs.

It's my first time working out in over a year. I started last year in February but ran into my exbroinlaw on St. PATTYS DAY AND BRoke my right hand on his jaw which I still have problems but at least I am able to workout now with it!!! ;0)

08-Jan-15
Mike vines, I'm more then happy to tailor it to your liking especially since it seems like your the most active one (possibly the only one) left. What did you have in mind. I'm getting ready to write up tonight's because I left the list at home (I'm at work tonight) so get back to me soon and Ill work it up!

08-Jan-15
Day 9 of 30

Todays is also brought to you by 406elkchasr. Today instead of doing as many as you can in the allotted time, you will do the entire workout as fast as possible and record your time as your score. This is another one you will want to save your time on because we will repeat it at the end of the thirty day program. Good luck guys!

For time Round one Run/walk 600m 10 squats 20 box jumps

Round 2 Run/walk 400m 15 squats 25 box jumps

Round 3 Run/walk 200m 20 squats 30 box jumps

09-Jan-15
Kelly, How are you getting those oddball weights? You must be on a machine and not free weights?

09-Jan-15
I'll be rowing a canoe, and shooting a Longbow after walking thru water to set up calling scenarios, then HOPEFULLY getting a moose back in the boat...piece by piece...and then patiently waiting on the plane to get me home. At least, that is the plan. :-)

09-Jan-15

kellyharris's embedded Photo
Sore as hell!!!

Working 16 hours after first workout didn't help either.

Yes it's a machine I don't count the bar weight. It is all plates and dumbells. The bench press and legs are all machine designed for free weight style lifting while reducing shoulder tear problems.

Here are a few photos. Disregard closet door off. I had to put on a new outside spicket a week ago and never put the door back up.

09-Jan-15

Here is the machine!

09-Jan-15

The military presses and curls are all done with dumbells.

Here is a photo of my favorite cardiovascular machine.

My wife has tried forever to get me to get rid of the life cycle. I tell her no way in hell! Lol

09-Jan-15
Hey Kelly, those "Machines" are called clotheshangers at my place.

09-Jan-15
Nice home gym, Kelly.

09-Jan-15
Mike, I call my gf's elliptical the bra drying machine.

09-Jan-15
Yeh luckily laundry is on 1st floor not in the basement.

I've decided a more long term goal instead of 30 days or 6 months per say I've decided on a roughly 18 month goal of being in the top 3% of 50 year olds of the Cincinnati area. I know there is no way to tell if I am that but I want for people to say come April 2016 holey smoke your 50!!!!

For my 43rd birthday a few years back my goal starting in January that year was to bench 300 by my 43rd birthday. I did 305, a week after that to bench 415 3 times on August 1st that year. I was doing 3 sets of 10 at 370 every single day for this 6 months. I burned myself out and to be honest I didn't really get that big because I did everything wrong.

Taking the wife to Playa Del Carmen in May so I know I will stick to it until then!

If it wasn't so darn cold I would be soaking in the hot tub so for today I will be having Ibuprofen with my egg whites!!!!

Thanks midwest, when I used to be a professional white water rafting guide in the 90,s I lived in gyms only to be sick all the time. One day I realized that I saw about 6-7 folks sick going from machine to machine. I vowed one day to own my own gym.

I do admit the tanning bed could use some new light bulbs! Lol.

I'm fortunate to work with a guy Ahmad who competed in the Arnold Classic a few years back who is going to help me set up a program.

I really don't care to bench 400 again (no more sauce) for me.

But I do want to be built bad ass for 50 lol

Hey have I mentioned I am sore as hell!!!!

09-Jan-15
Situps and crunches toni/ht at work along with knee lifts.

09-Jan-15
Day 9 done. I refuse to run anymore. When I left the Army, I swore that if I ever had to run, I could and didn't need to practice that anymore, BUT I can walk forever it feels like and at a pretty good clip.

09-Jan-15
I dont mean to step on Truckies toes, but if guys dont like to run, substituting with walking, walking with a pack, or incline would be just as good. The goal is to increase that heart rate and build stamina.

09-Jan-15
Thanks 406! Your exactly right. Mike if running isn't your thing do exactly that. Also mike I read your comment above and I will have a few workouts just for you on the way. I wanted to finish 406elkchasrs three days and I will put something together tomorrow specifically with what you said in mind. I also think it will be a lot of fun. Its something I wanted to do when we started and I had forgotten about it so thank you for reminding me!

09-Jan-15

Truckie's Link
Day 10 of 30

Today is the third day brought to you by 406elkchasr. Today’s workout will again be done for time. As I said before if running isn't your thing substitute a brisk walk with a weighted pack, or a walk up a hill instead.

15 burpees 20 situps 400m run/walk 15 pushups 400m run/walk 20 grasshoppers 400m run/walk 15 box jumps

Attached above is a link to a video showing how to do a grasshopper (this one is new to me). If you need explanations for box jumps or burpees see day 4 and 5 Remember to keep your time! Keep pushing!!

09-Jan-15
I dont mean to step on Truckies toes, but if guys dont like to run, substituting with walking, walking with a pack, or incline would be just as good. The goal is to increase that heart rate and build stamina.

10-Jan-15
Good job to all that are jumping in. Like Z said, make it a daily thing that you don't feel your day is complete without doing it.

Another good substitute for running or hiking hills (if not available) is to do step ups on a bench. Do them with a pack or without.

Do some dynamic stretching on your off days, it'll help with the muscle soreness.

Keep this up for 30 days and you'll be well on your way to making this a lifestyle. Don't underemphasize the importance of rest days as Truckie said.

Also, can't agree more with midwest. Clean up your diet. I'm really focusing on my sugar intake right now. Start looking at how much sugar is in each item you eat. You'll be amazed (not in a good way), and you'll start to understand why it's so hard to keep weight off.

10-Jan-15
Day 10, done. Even went out and chopped wood in 2* temps. It's the wind that's a killer. Wood sure splits easy when frozen. It's either that or my strength has doubled in 2 weeks. :-)

11-Jan-15
I did my own thing today. Chest and tri. I try not to run too much bc I'll drop way more weight then I want! But keep it up guys!!

11-Jan-15
Day 11 of 30

Today is day designed around Mike Vines request. “I'll be rowing a canoe, and shooting a Longbow after walking thru water to set up calling scenarios, then HOPEFULLY getting a moose back in the boat...piece by piece...and then patiently waiting on the plane to get me home. At least, that is the plan. :-) “

It will also incorporate something I wanted to do in the beginning and forgot about. Today you will need some specialized equipment that we should all have… your bow!!

Every time I think of walking through rivers or streams I think of the balance it takes for me not to fall on my face when stepping from rock to rock. I know when I get my shot at a moose my heart will be pounding and I’ll have to stifle that and still make a good shot. Finaly If we pull off the shot of a lifetime we know the work has just begun as moose are extremely heavy and its going to take a lot to get them out. So these three things are what day 11 is about!

First we will work on balance. We are going to do one leg air squats. Very simply raise one foot off the ground and balance on the other foot. Now squat as deep as you can (you wont be able to go nearly as deep as normal) Do 4 sets to failure on each leg

Next we are going to burpees but not for burpee sake. We will do 5 burpees followed by 3 good shots with our bow! The idea behind this is to force you to shoot when tired. It can make for some very challenging shots. I’m going to say a minimum of 5 sets of this however if you’re having fun with it go for more, I know I will.

Finally load up your pack with whatever weight you can reasonably get in there and find a good hill. Each trip up the hill should be very difficult if you have a good load in your pack so take rest as needed. Try for 15-20 minutes of weighted hill climbs with rest as needed. Note- these are not supposed to be sprints just get your load to the top of the hill in one peace.

Good luck on your moose hunter workout! Thanks for the inspiration Mike!

11-Jan-15
I'll get this done tonight after my boys and I get back from hunting rabbits with friends.

Great idea on burpies to bow shooting transition along with the balance training. If anything, I'm enjoying the heck out of this. Anything done now will only make us better Bowhunters later.

11-Jan-15
11 done

12-Jan-15
Day 12 of 30

As of today you have had 10 other workouts posted. Your personal fitness and health are always determined by choices you make. Today's workout you can chose any of the previous ten days to do again. (You cannot chose the rest day haha) tommorow will be a rest day though so don't take it easy on yourself! We have worked hard so far and our body's need time to recover so this week will have two rest days for recovery. Tommorow and day 14.

Have a great workout!

12-Jan-15
12...done

12-Jan-15
day 13 and 14 of 30 Great work so far guys, or just Mike! Take the next two days off. You have been working hard and your body could use a break to recover. Ill have some new workouts come day 15!

13-Jan-15
Thank you to all still hanging strong. Try mixing some "Duck" walks into the mix.

In the Army, when we needed something reinforced (because we couldn't get it thru our thick skulls).

A Duck walk is where you squat down so your thighs are parallel to the ground (or slightly lower), and NEVER coming above parallel, interlock your fingers behind your head and "walk" around till the Drill Seargent got tired...who by the way, is just standing there watching AND giving us a motivational speech the whole time.

Yeah, I can honestly say it sucked, but it sure did work the muscles, and mentally toughened us up too.

13-Jan-15
Don't worry Truckie. I am following thread every day! I am sure there are more just like me. I have done my own thing for many years, but always looking for other routines to add into the mix. THX.

14-Jan-15
Mike I will have some duck walks in the next workout, Great suggestion and something I never thought of! I spoke with another trainer today and he gave me some good ideas for new workouts/excercises so we will be getting some new stuff come day 15!

Barebow thanks for the kind words and following our fitness thread, it's great to hear more people are following along. I have had a couple members tell me in private they are either following along or going to start our program shortly. It's great to hear some people are getting something out of this!

14-Jan-15
Day 13 AND 14 done. Those were simple. :-)

14-Jan-15
Day 15 of 30

Today we are going to do some new exercises as promised before. I have got some great ideas from members ideas on this thread and from a personal trainer friend of mine. Today’s workout will be leg and balance exercises mostly. Day 15 consists of duck walks (thanks mike), One leg toe touches. One foot box jumps, and backward/reverse hills. Don’t worry explanations will be below the break down.

5 sets of duck walks for 30 yards 4 sets 10 reps one leg toe touch 3 sets of One foot box jump 10 min of reverse hill climbs

Explanation of exercises.

Duck walk- Squat down like you were using the bathroom on the hunt in the back country. Walk in this position.

One leg toe touch- Stand on one foot with knee slightly bent and touch your toes with the opposite hand. Work on your balance and flexibility with this one.

One foot box jump- Stand on one foot and jump up on the box landing on the same foot. Be careful Warning you will need a much smaller box/platform then when we did these with both feet or even no box just a line on the ground if you feel uncomfortable. If you don’t feel like you can safely balance on a box or platform simply use a line on the ground and jump a high as you can landing beyond the line. This will work leg strength and balance.

Reverse hill climb- With your back to the hill (steeper the better) walk up backwards. This sounds easy but will burn your quads fast. I used a time on this one instead of # of reps because everyones hill situation will be different.

15-Jan-15
Still in,and still hating burpees followed by a close second duck walks!!!!!

15-Jan-15
Yep, after 21 years, I STILL hate duck walks. I had everyone in the house doing them.

Day 15 done. We are 1/2 way to the first goal.

15-Jan-15

NvaGvUp's Link
The ultimate fitness program for mountain hunters is available on Bowsite.

See the link.

15-Jan-15
Day 12 of 30

Today will be a lot of upper body. We will need a chair or a bench between 12-24 inches high, also get those packs back out as well. We are going to do incline pushups, side shoulder raises (each arm), decline pushups, and wall sits to round it out with some leg punishment. We will do 4 sets of all the exercises to failure. This means do as many pushups as you can without stopping. When you can no longer do the pushup without stopping move on to the next exercise. Do four rounds of this

Cardio today will be medium intensity. Let’s try to go around 1.5 to 2 miles but at a slightly slower pace than usual. Judge your intensity level by your ability to talk. Today you should be able to say 4-5 word sentences between breaths. Enjoy this one today, take in the sights and enjoy the beauty of nature. I will be doing today with my dog so if you have a dog feel free to enjoy this one with them! Incline pushups: Place your hands on the chair or bench so your body is at an upward angle and do a pushup

Side shoulder raises. This can be done with your pack or any heavy object usually around 15 lbs is good. Keep your arms slightly bent and raise your arms up from your side until they are parallel with the ground. (if you only have one heavy object do one arm to failure then move to the other arm, if you have two heavy objects you can do both arms at the same time)

Decline pushups: Place feet on the chair or bench and hands on the ground. Your body will be in a downward angle. Do your pushups in this position. Wall sits: Sit against the wall with your back flat against the wall as if you had a chair (don’t use a chair) legs should be bent at a 90 degree angle so your thighs are parallel with the ground. Sit in this position as long as possible.

4 sets to failure Incline pushups Side shoulder raises Decline pushups Wall sits Medium/ light intensity 1.5-2 mile run/walk

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

I liked the duck walk idea. I had the guys at work doing them before I wrote the workout to determine a distance.

NvaGvUp I think it was you who showed me that before, There is a lot of good info in the link. Anything you wanted to see in our program specifically?

Glad to hear your following along Mulie, thanks for joining us! (I hate burpees too)

15-Jan-15
About the only "program" I heard in that seminar is Dr. Sorg talking about hiking with a pack and the other guy talking about himself.

All due respect and all, but this thread is an actual fitness program with actual exercises and stuff.

16-Jan-15
"I liked the duck walk idea. I had the guys at work doing them before I wrote the workout to determine a distance"

Please pick the most out of shape one next time to determine our amounts. Lol

16-Jan-15
Copy that Mike, I still want to remind everyone though this is only w guide. If you can't do the entire workout do what you can! Congratulations to everyone for making it to day 15!

16-Jan-15
Day 16 of 30

I’m having to post this one early because I will be away from the computer tonight

The last two days we have done a lot of resistance training, both legs and upper body so today will be designed to work out hearts and burn fat. That being said don’t fret yet, yes today is cardio day but it will be on the more relaxed side. Today is a great day to bring the dog along! I have three so I broke it up into thirds and they each got a turn. Today we run/jog one mile, walk one mile, and run/jog another half mile. For those of you that don’t like to run, I recommend walking hills, chopping wood, rowing a canoe (anything to get the heart rate up) The run/jog should be at an 60% intensity level. You should be able to say 4-5 word sentences between breaths. If this means you are only briskly walking then do that. For the guys who aren’t running the speaking intensity test will help you judge if you are working hard enough or too hard.

Another good thing to try today would be some stretching AFTER your cardio. This is something that I am really bad about doing. When your muscles are good and warm do some stretching and you will increase flexibility, decrease soreness the next day, increase range of motion and also decrease chances of injury on your hunt.

Good luck guys!

I have a question for the guys participating. For the rest of the program we will have about 2 days of rest a week. Would you prefer to do those two days back to back or break them up.

16-Jan-15
Does not matter to me. Your program, your decision.

16-Jan-15
No sir, this is OUR program, I'm just the navigator of this ship. I'll mix it up a bit for now unless someone says otherwise. Also a little side note, if one day works better then the other for you rest day feel free to take it when its convenient for you and do the workout you skipped on our rest day.

16-Jan-15
good thread. Make fitness your life and you will never regret it.

THere are two ways to get old...fit and unfit.....the unfit way sucks. I have seen it at work and it is not pretty.

16-Jan-15
Day 15 done

16-Jan-15
Keep it up guys! Fun to follow! C

17-Jan-15
Day 17 done

17-Jan-15
So it looks like my days got screwed up and I want to say I'm sorry for that. I have been writing workouts and adding new ones in when good advice comes along and it appears I have screwed up my days. Either way Mikes got it right we just finished up with Day 17 making tomorrow day 18! Again my mistake and I apologize.

17-Jan-15
Day 18 of 30

The best part of messing up the calendar Is even guy making the workouts got a nice surprise when tomorrow turns out to be a scheduled rest day! So get some rest and relax! If your feeling sore (or even if your not) try to get some stretching in. The benefits of stretching are endless and underrated.

See you on day 19!

17-Jan-15
A preemptive strike...day 18 done. :-)

18-Jan-15
Dang mike I like the enthusiasm !!!

18-Jan-15
Day 19 of 30

In my opinion one of the best leg endurance exercises for hunting other then actually hiking is doing stairs. Today will be twenty minutes of stairs. Do as many as you can and if you’re feeling froggy strap on the pack with some weight (Ill be wearing my SCBA because I’ll be at work). As hunters our legs can be one of our most valuable assets in the field. No matter what game we hunt if we want the one bigger than most, more often than not we have to go further than the other guys are willing to go. That means leg endurance. We all know if we can’t get to the animals we are after then no matter how many hours we put in at the range it will all be for not.

Today’s workout- 20 minutes on the stairs!

19-Jan-15
Day 19 done

19-Jan-15

Truckie's Link
Day 20 of 30

Today will be a mix of the old and some of the new. We are shooting for 4 rounds today. Starting with some Duck Walks for 20 yards, next 20 leg lifts, then into 15 burpees, and finally planking to failure (see link for explanation. Rather than doing these as fast as possible focus on good form and take a 2-3 minute break in between rounds. Congratulations every one! We are 2/3 of the way there after today!

Break down

4 rounds with 2-3 min break between rounds 20 yard duck walks 20 leg lifts 15 burpees Plank to failure

20-Jan-15
Day 20 Done. Finished up the night with 1 1/2 miles on the treadmill. Don't feel like tromping thru the snow outside, so I stayed in tonight.

21-Jan-15
I thought you were against running?!?! In a previous post you swore to never run again.

21-Jan-15
Day 21 of 30

Today is our second rest day of the week. Enjoy the day off you earned it threw all of your hard work.

21-Jan-15
Ever heard of WALKING on a treadmill? :-)

Treadmills have 2 purposes in life...tool to walk indoors in the winter, AND hang clothes to dry.

21-Jan-15
Forgot to add...Day 21 done. That was easy. HA!!!

21-Jan-15
Haha fair enough... I call that cool down spead.... I like to get a good workout in on cool down speed

21-Jan-15
Hell Dwight, I think it is just you and I still hanging on. Anybody else still in? Only 10 more days in this cycle.

Maybe if we do this all year, we can get as many replies as Rowdy Dowdy did. HA!!!!!!!!

21-Jan-15
I'm sure there are many of us still following, just not participating. This is a good beginner workout program for someone starting from scratch. I think there are just too many different fitness levels on this site to have this work for a large following.

At the end of this, I hope Mike can report on his fitness improvement, fat loss, inches lost, etc. and maybe inspire a few others to get started.

21-Jan-15
I have kept a log/journal/diary (chose your term) to go along with this month's fitness program, and plan to do a comparison from day 1 to day 31 to see the difference.

21-Jan-15
Day 22 of 30

Today’s workout is going to change up the routine a little bit. Today we will start with cardio and do our leg exercises during our breaks from cardio. I recommend a nice short light jog to get warmed up first. ¼ mile should be enough and a nice light pace. Next we get into the good part. We are going to do interval training today. I love intervals because it truly workout your heart to its fullest potential. That being said anyone who may have heart issues take it down a notch on today’s workout. Start with a hard run for around 1/8th mile during these runs you should be pushing yourself as much as you can. You won’t be able to speak more than a word or two at a time if you’re doing them correctly. After you run take a short 20-30 second breather. Next we will go into some walking lunges. Do twenty lunges followed by another 20-30 second breather. Following that we go back to our hard run for around 1/8 mile. (note if you’re doing this on a high school track this is ½ lap) Again 20-30 second break into some air squats. Do 20 squats followed by your break and back to the run again. We will do 8 runs total,4 sets of lunges and 4 sets of squats. Today’s workout will be easy if you’re not pushing yourself so you are only going to get a lot out of it if you give it your all. Today’s workout is a little more advanced so if your body isn’t ready for it do what you can.

*if you are unable to run due to bad knees or other constraint but would still like to participate today you can do fast hills with a weighted pack as a substitution

Here is the breakdown -warm up with nice light jog 1/8 mile sprint 20 lunges 1/8mile spring 20 air squats 1/8 mile sprint 20 lunges 1/8mile spring 20 air squats 1/8 mile sprint 20 lunges 1/8mile spring 20 air squats 1/8 mile sprint 20 lunges 1/8mile spring 20 air squats

*Note- I wrote this a week ago and after re-reading this it looks a bit intense. That being said if your up to the challenge go get some! If you need to do only part then do what you can.

21-Jan-15
Midwest I agree. We could always build a more in depth program however knowing what equipment people had access to was the issue. Because of that we decided to do a program that would include only things any bowhunter would have access too(I kept it very limited to be as inclusive as possible). That being said if anyone wants help with their own specific program tailored to what they have access to then I would be happy to help. Also If anyone is in the Fort Collins Co area and wants to hit the gym some time just let me know when your in town.

22-Jan-15
Day 22 done.

22-Jan-15
Day 23 of 30

This week we will be doing some workouts that you may have seen earlier in the program. One I really enjoyed was inspired by Mike and is an exact copy of day 11. It will be posted below. Some of these will be exact copies and others will be slightly tweaked but I will let you know as they come.

****** Repeat - Day 11 of 30

Today is day designed around Mike Vines request. “I'll be rowing a canoe, and shooting a Longbow after walking thru water to set up calling scenarios, then HOPEFULLY getting a moose back in the boat...piece by piece...and then patiently waiting on the plane to get me home. At least, that is the plan. :-) “ It will also incorporate something I wanted to do in the beginning and forgot about. Today you will need some specialized equipment that we should all have… your bow!!

Every time I think of walking through rivers or streams I think of the balance it takes for me not to fall on my face when stepping from rock to rock. I know when I get my shot at a moose my heart will be pounding and I’ll have to stifle that and still make a good shot. Finaly If we pull off the shot of a lifetime we know the work has just begun as moose are extremely heavy and its going to take a lot to get them out. So these three things are what day 11 is about!

First we will work on balance. We are going to do one leg air squats. Very simply raise one foot off the ground and balance on the other foot. Now squat as deep as you can (you wont be able to go nearly as deep as normal) Do 4 sets to failure on each leg Next we are going to burpees but not for burpee sake. We will do 5 burpees followed by 3 good shots with our bow! The idea behind this is to force you to shoot when tired. It can make for some very challenging shots. I’m going to say a minimum of 5 sets of this however if you’re having fun with it go for more, I know I will.

Finally load up your pack with whatever weight you can reasonably get in there and find a good hill. Each trip up the hill should be very difficult if you have a good load in your pack so take rest as needed. Try for 15-20 minutes of weighted hill climbs with rest as needed. Note- these are not supposed to be sprints just get your load to the top of the hill in one peace.

Good luck on your moose hunter workout! Thanks for the inspiration Mike!

23-Jan-15
Day 23 Done.

23-Jan-15
Day 24 of 30

Today is a repeat of day 8. I had suggested you write down your time for comparison so hopefully you improve your time! Below is the original post. And good news tomorrow is a well earned rest day so you can plan ahead.

Day 8 of 30 Today’s workout is brought to you by 406elkchasr! (and tomorrow, and the next day) Thanks for the contribution 406. The beauty of today is we will end with a score that we can use for comparison at the end of the program to see our progress. Today you will get 20 minutes to do as many rounds of squats, pushups, situps, burpees, and 100m sprints as possible. Set your clock 20 mins. Start with 20 squats, once finished do 20 pushups and so on until you finish with the 100 meter sprint. After you complete all of this you have done one round. Write down the total number of rounds you get done because we will do this exercise again near the end of the program to see how far we have come. Below is the workout list. All of the exercises have been explained in previous days if you need a description of something or feel free to contact me.

Max rounds in 20 minutes 20 squats 20 pushups 20 situps 20 burpees 100m sprint Repeat as many times as possible in the allotted time!

Go get some guys! If you’re willing please post your number when finished!

24-Jan-15
Today all upper body

Bench 3 sets of 10 @ 235 lbs.

200 pushups

40 hand stand pushups (Wow not as easy as they use to be)!!!

24-Jan-15
I drank 3 glasses of scotch while reading this thread.

24-Jan-15
Endurance and periodization. Light weight with multiple repetitions. As a bowhunter, I never plan to carry more than 20 lbs. for long periods of time.

Fitness is a lifestyle change and a year around process, as mentioned at the beginning. Healthy diet will do far more than just hitting the gym.

24-Jan-15
Day 24 done.

25-Jan-15
Day 25 of 30

Rest day!

25-Jan-15
I'm liking these nice surprises in the morning.

25-Jan-15
Mike it said in day 24 that tommorow was a rest day. Haha I wa trying to give you a little head up incase it made it easier to plan your day.

25-Jan-15
Missed it. I skipped straight to the exercises, then read Kelly was doing the Handstand push-ups and my thoughts went to how bad of a headache I would have if I tried one of those. HA!!

Hopefully, one day, I will be there with you Kelly.

25-Jan-15
Ha ha no headaches did the handstand push ups in sets of 10.

Weight today 186lbs.

Diet has been doing great that is my main focus.

As I said no short term goals I am trying my hardest to be (THAT'S GUY) at age 50 which is 14 months away.

25-Jan-15
Kelly, I'm talking "headache" from falling on my head as my arms give out.

Food intake is a HUGE part of this. Almost 13 months ago, I cleaned up my diet and my whole body is doing better. I went full Paleo (read that as Caveman).

I removed 4 things from my diet: 1--sugar of ANY kind; 2--Grains of ANY kind (pasta, bread, alcohol, rice, oatmeal; soy; corn); 3--Dairy of ANY kind; 4--Legumes (beans and peanuts).

Does it suck??? You better believe it!!! The first month is the hardest with the first 2 weeks being the worst. Once over the "Low Carb Flu" you will be amazed how great you feel.

The best way to describe it, is to just say that IF you have to open a box or wrapper to eat it, it probably shouldn't be put into your body.

I started this way of eating on 30 December 2013. I wanted to see...what started out to be...1 month would be like. 1 month turned into 3 months, which turned into 6 months which turned into a full year.

My blood pressure went from a medicated 140/90 to an unmedicated 117/72 today. My good cholesterol went up and my bad went down. My trigliserides went down to 39. This was all confirmed by 2 separate physicals that were 1 year apart. Who could of guessed that eating eggs and bacon EVERY day was good for you. Not to mention, every time you eat bacon, it kills another terrorist :-). So eat up, it does a body good.

Here is the best part...after "Cleansing" your body of all that junk for a minimum of 30 days, you can re-introduce it to your system to find out what was causing you problems, AND YOU WILL discover what it was that caused: Headaches; body aches; excessive bowl evacuation; poor sleep; mood swings; energy levels; excessively tight clothes, acne.

I thought the hardest part was going to get my wife and kids on board. Like I said, I THOUGHT it would be hard. They jumped on the bandwagon for the most part and life has been awesome the past year.

Here is a testimonial...My youngest (9 years old) was having such a hard time consentrating at school, grades were all over the place (from B's to D's). I put my foot down in Octobr and said he is going to follow this with me (after all, our job as parents is to raise the healhyist kids possible, who will be productive members in society, isn't it?)

We didn't tell anyone, and 3 weeks into it, his teacher called our home at close to 9 PM one evening (she had just completed grading papers) to let us know that she has noticed a positive difference in our son's behavior and that on his latest math test he received a 100%. His Report Card came home this past Friday and he just received all A's. If that doesn't open your eyes, than this way is NOT for you.

If you just said "WOW!!!" After reading that, than you are ready to make the commitment.

The shortest month of the year is only a week away, why not give it a try for the entire month of February?

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention...Last year, I did nothing extra when it comes to exercise. All I did was change what I put into my body and I lost 31#. Since January 1st this year, I'm down another 6#, thanks to Truckie and his daily updates to this thread that, if anything, motivates me to not sit down when I get home, but do something extra to improve not only myself, but my Bowhunting experience.

Who's in? If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask. Either here, PM, or email will work just fine. My email is [email protected]

25-Jan-15
That's great, Mike. It saddens me to look around everywhere I go and see the lardification of America....congrats to you on a positive lifestyle change!

25-Jan-15
I will stick with a balanced diet. Less than 1% of humans are effected by gluten or have a need of a gluten free diet.

No way in hell is bacon by the masses good for anyone way to many Trans fat with that one.

I would assume the bad cholestral drop and good increase is from increased exercise.

Weight loss is 100% control of calorie control.

Hence typical male needs roughly needs 1800-2000 calories per day to maintain weight.

About 7 years ago to prove this I made a 100.00 bet that I could lose 20 lbs in 30 days by eating nothing but Wendys for 30 days. I did it all by calorie counting. I never worried what I ate I just stayed between 800-1100 calories daily. I freaking lost 31 lbs in 30 days.

The only thing I could think the reason a person would really need to worry about carbs are those with a compromised pancreas.

I am trying to work out weights as much as possible but feel limits will be close to benching under 300 lbs simply because of calorie intake (not much extra energy).

My goal is 170-175lbs.

Like I said 5 years ago I was working out like a maniac 7 days per week I was benching 3 sets of 10 at 370 lbs. NEVER AGAIN!

Now I am happy to bench/upper body workout 2 maybe 3 times per week.

Today will be squats and life cycle combined with eliptical.

My buddy Scott Stoughton won Mr Ohio back in 95 or 96 and I remember him telling me the first 20-25 minutes should be used for muscle building and any other exercise should be cardiovascular aka fat loss.

There are 100's of diets out there. Regardless of which one anyone chooses they only work based on calorie intake vs. Consumption.

Just my 2 cents

25-Jan-15
Remember Kelly, there was ZERO exercise last year. I needed something to compare back to, and didn't want to throw anything in that would compromise my findings and results.

You can tell yourself all you want how bad bacon is. You can have fun starting with my wife's 96 year old grandma who, by her own admission, has had bacon and eggs every day for as long as she can remember, and yes her memory is still good.

Whatever works for you is fantastic, my way works for me. I too was once like you and said there is no way in hell this can be healthy. I was wrong. To have an unbiased opinion, a guy needs to be open minded. Give it an honest attempt and then tell me what you think.

Even my Doctor couldn't believe the results. He had both sets of bloodwork side by side and was literally looking at the improvements in front of him. He said it goes against EVERYTHING he has learned, but there is no denying my results.

For dinner tonight, it's going to be BBQ ribs and pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon and cooked over indirect heat, sweet potatoes and broccoli. Yeah, meals around here have been awesome the past year.

As for calorie intake, I don't even care anymore. I eat when hungry now, not at set times. I do know my results speak for their self.

I'm no trying to win Mr. Ohio, or even Michigan for that matter, just to be the best I can be And live a happy life. If it makes me a better Bowhunter along the way, it's a Win/Win.

25-Jan-15
You sure that bby sauce doesn't hVe brown sugar? ;0)

25-Jan-15
Yellow mustard and black pepper is my BBQ sauce. Like I said, look around for other options on how to do things. When you do, you will see the world in a whole new way. That is in no way directed towards you, I'm speaking in general terms.

25-Jan-15
Bro I did the whole paleo diet several years back, drove my wife nuts. No pun intended.

Regardless weight loss is all about calorie control.

Btw my Wendy's diet was done with zero exercise as well

25-Jan-15

Mike Vines's embedded Photo
Here is some catfish fillets on the grill. Some just have pepper, and the rest have my BBQ sauce on them (yellow mustard with black pepper). The ones with "BBQ" sauce were gone first.

People should think "Outside the Box" and broaden their horizons more often.

25-Jan-15
Kelly said "No way in hell is bacon by the masses good for anyone way to many Trans fat with that one."

As a matter of fact, bacon has 0 trans fats and only contains saturated fats, which by the way, are the healthy kind. That is if you can include fat and healthy in the same sentence now a days.

Trans fats are those that are found in Processed Foods. They aren't found in nature, but created artificially.

25-Jan-15
Jesus!!!!!

Sorry for the wrong text dude?

Ok that much grease cannot be healthy but hey if it works for you then go for it!!!!!

26-Jan-15
I'm very sorry for the delay in todays post. Some stuff came up last night at work and I was unable to get the workout posted. I will have it up shortly. If you are not able to get it in today then I will take the blame for this one.

26-Jan-15
Day 25 of 30

Today is a repeat of day nine. If you kept your score from the first time we did this exercise then compare it to today and see how you did! Great work so far guys! We are almost there.

Todays is also brought to you by 406elkchasr. Today instead of doing as many as you can in the allotted time, you will do the entire workout as fast as possible and record your time as your score. This is another one you will want to save your time on because we will repeat it at the end of the thirty day program. Good luck guys!

For time Round one Run/walk 600m 10 squats 20 box jumps

Round 2 Run/walk 400m 15 squats 25 box jumps

Round 3 Run/walk 200m 20 squats 30 box jumps

26-Jan-15
Day 26 done.

26-Jan-15
Day 27 of 30

(thanks for keeping me honest on my days mike!)

Today is the third day from 406elkchasr that we are repeating from day 10. Again if you have your previous score you can use it to judge your improvement thus far. Tomorrow will be your rest day so give it your all today!!! Keep up the great work guys only a few days left in our program. Also if you need the link for the "grasshoppers" look at day ten.

Day 10 of 30

Today is the third day brought to you by 406elkchasr. Today’s workout will again be done for time. As I said before if running isn't your thing substitute a brisk walk with a weighted pack, or a walk up a hill instead.

15 burpees 20 situps 400m run/walk 15 pushups 400m run/walk 20 grasshoppers 400m run/walk 15 box jumps

Attached above is a link to a video showing how to do a grasshopper (this one is new to me). If you need explanations for box jumps or burpees see day 4 and 5 Remember to keep your time! Keep pushing!!

27-Jan-15
Getting my workout tonight. worked 16 straight hours At the brewery! ;0)

27-Jan-15
What Brewery do you work at Kelly? 16 hrs is a long time to do anything, well except hunt.

27-Jan-15
Day 27 done

27-Jan-15
Day 28 of 30

REST DAY!!!!!!!

28-Jan-15
As soon as I woke up, I knocked day 28 out. See, this isn't so bad. :-)

28-Jan-15
Day 29 of 30

Today is back to basics day. Nothing to fancy about today, just a lot of hard work depending on how much you push yourself. Today is 40 burpees, 50 pushups, 60 lunges and 70 sit-ups. Followed by the infamous 1.5 mile walk/run. Today's order can be done anyway you like just get them done! If you can only do ten pushups at a time do that then move onto the next one. Second to last day so make it count!!

40 burpees 50 pushups 60 lunges 70 sit ups

1.5 mile walk/run

29-Jan-15
Day 29 done. This was a whole lot easier doing it a day at a time instead of being overwhelmed with seeing the whole month at one time. Looking forward to tomorrow, day 30.

29-Jan-15
Mike I'm glad to hear that. I was afraid the format would turn people off because it would make it harder to plan your week. I am glad it made things easier for you!

29-Jan-15
Day 30 of 30!

Today is the final workout of the program. I am going to combine some of my favorite workouts from throughout the past 30 days to put together one big final day. Today is the last day so it’s going to be a little tough to show us how far we have come and what we can do with a little determination. It is also going to be a little leg heavy. That being said you know yourselves the best so do what’s right for you. We are doing for time today, that being said like our hunts this workout is not a sprint it’s a marathon so pace yourself. Today we have our 4 rounds of duck walks, leg lifts, lunges, box jumps, pushups, and hills (I highly suggest a weighted pack (25ish lbs) to go with your entire workout today). Today is done in order and for speed/time.

4 rounds Duck walks 20 yards 20 leg lifts 20 lunges 20 box jumps 20 pushups 4 hills

Congratulations to everyone who made it through the month with us! I want to say you completed your fitness program but in reality if you are planning on a healthy lifestyle you are just getting started. Along with hunting, fitness is a passion of mine and I have really enjoyed this journey with you all so I wanted to thank you guys for joining me these past 30 days. Many of you have joined in (even if for a day or two) many have given great input, and a few have been very committed and I am very grateful for everyone who has been involved. If we inspired even just one person to get healthy or improve themselves then it was worth it. Although this was a 30 day program I hope people will use this thread as a reference in the future and continue to ask questions. I am always willing to help anyone looking for health or fitness advice as well, just shoot me a PM. In addition anyone who finds themselves traveling through the Fort Collins area feel free to hit me up and we can get a workout in.

30-Jan-15
I work for MillerCoors at the Trenton Ohio brewery. 7 largest brewery on the planet. I am back on the production floor. I was on a special project for 5 years. Google MillerCoors landfill free. I guess I committed political suicide at some point because after that no promotion! Lol its all good.

Working 12.5 tonight tomorrow.

I weighed in today at 187 lbs. I only have 15 more lbs to lose.

I think I will hit it by May going to Mexico then so hopefully I do.

Congrats on your 30 day. I am still only working out about 2 or 3 times per week but seeing good results.

30-Jan-15
And done.

31-Jan-15
Nothing to post tonight.... It was kinda sad...

12-Feb-15
Truckie, do you have this entire month program in a pdf or word doc you could email? I missed out and am thinking of giving it a try. BC

12-Feb-15
Hi I had a stroke on father's day JUne 15th this year, still in rehab learning to walk again. So I am exercising everday by taking walks with a walker and without the walker got a long way to go still cannot pull my bows but getting closer every day!

12-Feb-15
Bow Crazy , I started a word doc. but it got a little crazy because I was posting workouts from home and work on multiple computers due to my work schedule (I work fire) I have parts of it on a word doc still but my best advice would be just go threw the thread day by day. Look for DAY 1 of 30 and so on (I tried to put that at the top of actual workout days so people could spot them easier. Also if it helps post your progress or ask question like Mike did so we can follow along and it will keep the thread fresh where we can find it. Who knows someone else may step up and do it again with you!

Ole Coyote I'm sorry to hear about your stroke but am so glad to hear your making progress! It sounds like your in a physical therapy program but if I can help in any way please feel free to ask and Ill do my best! It's crazy to think what life can throw at you. Keep pushing yourself to get better and keep us posted on how your doing please. I can't wait to hear about you shooting again/hunting again. I'm always inspired by people who have things that truly affect their ability to exercise and be healthy and find the motivation to do it anyway when there are perfectly healthy people who struggle. God Bless

12-Feb-15
Refreshing to see this thread back up top.

My goal from the onset was to walk a minimum of 100 miles a month. At first I thought I was out of my mind, but it's really not that far and pretty easy to keep track of with a pedometer app installed on my phone. So far this year I have logged 153 miles with 46 of them being this month alone (February).

To me it was an attainable goal, and gets me up off my duff when I have a choice to sit and do nothing or get up and move.

02-Mar-15

Well, here it is 2 months into the year, and I'm proud to proclaim that I have met my "Walk a 100 miles per month" goal. Not too bad seeing as it was the shortest month of the year and also the coldest on record. Hopefuly now as it warms up, I'll be able to rack up some serious miles.

As February was winding down, I was cutting the distance REALLY close. My wife had a nice long weekend planned to celebrate her birthday, for the two of us, in the frozen tundra of Northern Michigan. Not being one to just sit and do nothing, I found out there was some Ice Caves on the shore of Lake Michigan. From my research, the caves were 2 miles from where we could park, and I had only racked up 97 miles.

SO, in my mind, if I can make it there, the 100 would turn over on the walk in. So off we went. My wife enjoyed the adventure as well, and she never would have gone if not for some motivation.

As soon as we reached the ice caves, I removed my jacket (-5° F) and asked my wife to take this picture. If I can meet my goal in this kind of weather, anything is possible.

How is everyone else doing on their goals for the year?

02-Mar-15
Good for you, Mike!

02-Mar-15
Great accomplishment Mike!

I am on track. I completed my longest run in 8 months on Saturday. I struck out on WYO elk tag, and odds should be in my favor to pull a good CO elk tag, but it is a physically demanding hunt. So I am more motivated than ever.

The way the weather is lining up, along with my training, I will likely be running a 50K trail race end of March. (I won't sign up until ~ 1 week before so I can gauge race day weather)

• Sitka Gear