ohiohunter 25-Jan-15
Bake 26-Jan-15
LckyTylr 27-Jan-15
willliamtell 29-Jan-15
Tazman 30-Jan-15
South Farm 30-Jan-15
Geno 31-Jan-15
02-Jan-15
So the day finally came where an Elk hunt out west started to become a reality. A friend of mine who guides in Pike Cty. IL and I, are in the early stages of planning a DIY Elk hunt in CO for this coming September. He has a client out that way, that is making us up a packet as we speak, for some territory that he has hunted several times and has been successful. He is going to be a great resource for us. This is my first elk hunt and really didn't think it would ever happen. I have done a lot of research over the past couple of years, just incase the day ever came. I am well aware that "getting in shape" is my main objective. Im 44 and a small guy that plays hockey twice a week. That basically means I am no where near ready for hiking those high altitudes. I do have a plan for getting in shape, somewhat,lol. Ive done enough research to have 0 expectaions of even drawing my bow back nevermind shooting anything. I am going strictly for the experience. If i hear or see an elk, then its a bonus. Ive done a lot of reading online over the past couple of years but was wandering what books and Dvd's would be helpful for a greenhorn. Thanks for any suggestions.

02-Jan-15
Can't help you Taz, as I'm a flatland deer, turkey, hog , pronghorn hunter, but good luck in your pursuits !

02-Jan-15
Dear new elk hunter if u live in and around pike a good place to hike would be them bluffs down in calhoun .Think positive u will see elk and hear elk when setting up stand in front of cover not behind , shoot the first cow that gives u a shot . Dvds are ok but nothing like real world experience.!!! best of luck

02-Jan-15
I forgot to mention that i am from New England some of my training will be backpack trips in the White Mtn's. I know its not t Same as out West but it will have to do

02-Jan-15
Just finding tracks, droppings and those huge rubs turns my crank...hearing a bugle turns it more. If someone is putting you in elk 7 days of hard all day hunting should get you a few opportunities.

02-Jan-15
Don't sell yourself short. If you play hockey a couple times a week I like your chances of putting in long days in the mountains. Ease into it the first couple of days, do plenty of glassing. Then, pretty much keep moving until you get into red hot sign.

I seem to be a master at finding where the elk used to be, but ultimately, persistence pays. Worst case scenario, you get to spend a week in a kind of freedom that can be difficult to attain anyplace else. Best of luck!

02-Jan-15
Taz, The more you know about the area you are hunting- the better.

I've hiked into canyons in the mountains for the first time and after flying it on GE so much it almost felt like I had been there before.

Hunter pressure is #1 factor in Co OTC hunts, figure out where those elk go to get aay and you are ahead of the game. Sometimes we just lace up our boots and cover as much rough ground as we can- and we usually get into them. Tats where GE comes in, nice to have an idea of what the country looks like, access points, fire roads, etc. Best of luck.

02-Jan-15
North American Elk Ecology and Management, and Elknuts playbook are good resources.

02-Jan-15
I,m 72 and from Wi. I hunted Co this this year with no problem.Worst part is getting use of the alt. After a few days you will have no problems. good luck.

02-Jan-15
Turkey hunt all you can this spring..run n gun style. It puts you in he same frame of mind as with elk.

02-Jan-15
Don't BS yourself, there is terrain here in the NE (ADK High Peaks, white mnts, green mnts) that rival much of what you'll encounter out there. You might hunt at 10k feet but your also be starting out at 8k. As compared to 2k here in the NE and hiking up to 4-5k... So similar elevation gains. It's just drier out there so you need to drink 2x as much water.

Best advice I can give you is go to a hiking shop and spend a few bucks extra on a pair of boots that are comfortable on YOU.. No one else can tell you what boots to buy, you need to try them on. Once you buy some boots spend time wearing them to break them in and make sure they're comfortable. If your feet are happy you'll have a fun time!

Also if your going to hunt from a spike camp you'll want to invest in quality light weight gear. Don't over do it and try to get the best everything.. If you need a gear piece by all means get quality stuff the first time so you don't have to upgrade it later. Just don't sacrifice on a pack or tent as those are two items where you can shave pounds as compared to cheap gear..

Also don't take too much clothing, you won't use it. One pair camo and a few pairs of underwear and socks are plenty. Anything more is a waste. Try to keep your pack weight around 35#, that's a healthy number.

FOOD- experiment and figure out what you'll want (mountain house/bars/trail mix).. Bag it in gallon zip locks, each one is the food for one day. Makes life simple..

Don't forget to take pics and don't forget to take it all in.

Josh

02-Jan-15
Matt Dworak's excellent book, Public Land Elk Hunting. You can find it on Amazon. Will give you some great insights.

02-Jan-15
Ace, a new pack and new boots are two of the main items im researching and not going to skimp on. Do you guys recommend uninsulated boots. I know the weather can vary but i figured uninsulted boots with sock liners and wool socks would do the trick

02-Jan-15
Tazman, I'd recommend you break in your boots by walking UPHILL a lot! Many an elk hunter gets blisters in new boots they "thought" were broke in from wearing everyday on flat ground. I had this problem and now only hunt in Merrill or similar brand "running shoe" type hiking boots ($120 on sale). They are light, waterproof, and do need to be broke-in.. At least take something similar as a backup boot if you decide to buy something fancier.

I learned something from every DVD, but especially like ELK101 "Elk hunting University"with Corey J. and Elknut.com instructional video on elk sounds.

02-Jan-15
should read "running shoe" boots do NOT need much to be broke in.

03-Jan-15
Don't let everybody steer you in "their" direction. Everybody does everything different. Just like city hunters advice on setting up in front of cover. I have mixed thoughts. Bigdan would tell you the total opposite. Every situation is different. Remain open & kill the elk.

03-Jan-15
I find books to be pretty useless, I joke that the elk havn't read the books because they sure don't act the way the books say they will.

I would say to watch any dvd you can find, yes they are usually shot on private ranches where the bulls don't respond to calls the same way they will on public land. but you can learn alot about how elk move, interact with each other and how they act when nervous. study their behavior not just the celeb kill shot.

reason I say this is as a whitetail hunter when I moved here 25 years ago I found myself on the side of a mountain with fresh tracks in the snow and it dawned on me that I didn't know anything about how their behavior differed from the deer I was used to hunting.

learn to use a cow call and elk nuts vidios are worth every penny.

elk country is huge, finding the elk is the hard part, but I usually find elk in the same areas year after year. if your contact is willing to tell you where he's killed or seen elk it can be very helpful. we hunt the same drainage every year and more than half the elk killed by friends and family over the years were taken within a 300 yard radius. combination of being an area the elk use and a natural funnel.

don't give up before you start, if there are elk where your hunting, close encounters are pretty easy to come by. capitalizing on those encounters is the problem. good luck, but be careful because elk hunting is addictive.

03-Jan-15
Insulated boots? You're planning on hunting CO during the archery season right?

Get a light wt boot and nice thick Merino wool socks and have an extra pair so you can put in a dry pair and dry the other one out alternating days. Another pair in a ziplock for sleeping in.

Elk archery season is more hot than cold. Maybe chilly at night/AMs, but walking uphill for me is uncomfortable in anything past 50 degrees.

03-Jan-15
One issue can be dew on the grass in AM's, can get your pants and socks soaked. Some guys use gaiters or your rain pants can work to.

A tent is important to- I like my Big Agnes fly creek utra light 2... Weighs 2 pounds and change and can find it for around $300 or a little less.

Ditto what was said above, there are many ways to skin a cat..

Josh

03-Jan-15
Shoot the first legal elk you can.

Read up on and practice taking a frontal shot. It may be the only shot you get.

Practice shooting from your knees, out to 50 - 60yds

At the minimum, learn how to cow call.

03-Jan-15
Thanks for the info so far. Ive done a lot of info searching on forums but i knew i would still still get some new info and tips from guys on here. I am looking at the Salomon Quest 4D GTX's for a boot. Im just trying to find a place to try them on. I will be doing some backpacking in the White Mtns this summer, so they will get plenty broken in. The area we are looking at is just south of Pagosa Springs. Still waiting on all the details.

03-Jan-15
Boots? Wear what u like, that fits, and are comfortable. My elk hunting boots cost 80 dollars on clearance. I like a 11 inch boot. Some like hikers. Train enough that you won't get muscle soreness to the point you are in pain. Buy the gear you need but don't go overboard on high end stuff. You wont know what you want out of your gear until you bivy out west. Gear is personal. Prepare mentally! Usually by the forth day of my hunt I have lost several lbs, and my legs and feet are somewhat fatigued. You'll need to push yourself. Good luck, have fun. Of course what I mentioned is hunt dependant.

03-Jan-15
Probably the biggest asset to elk hunting I picked up on during my one trip was being able to sleep where darkness finds you. I wasn't prepared for that so the 2 nights I stayed out I didn't get a quality nights sleep.

Being last year was my first time elk hunting I had no way of gauging the level if fitness I would need to get in for a quality outing. Buffalo1 knew I was hitting a treadmill and suggested that 4 miles per hour at a 4 degree incline for 1 hour would get me into ok shape. He was spot on but ok shape wasn't nearly good enough for the pace I was trying to keep.

03-Jan-15
TBM, the biggest asset you had last year was guys telling you where to hunt. Tazman, from what I've read and understood, this is borderline illegal. You see, your buddy is a guide in Ill, with a client that is providing him and you a service, getting a packet together. Colorado F&G looks at this as a person providing a service, and if the client is getting anything out of this from your buddy that is guide, like a reduced rate on his next hunt, it would be considered illegal outfitting, cause the client is getting paid for his service.... Unless the client is a registered outfitter here in Colorado, in which he would have to put you and your buddy in the books and pay the forest service on his day use permits. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, jut trying to clear up some facts. That's why swap hunts here in Colorado can go from fun to bad when someone buys the other person a tank of gas or even lunch...

03-Jan-15
Might as well start planning your second trip, because after your first you will be ruined for life.

03-Jan-15
Buglim, I appreciate the thoughts but maybe I wasnt totally clear on the situation. My friend in no way is doing a "swap". He is just a guy that he guided once and became good friends with. As far as a "packet" goes I believe he just sending us some topos with highlighted info, including but not limited to borders and where the local shower is, lol. The friend actually hasnt hunted this area in a couple of years. Hes just pointing us into where he had some luck for a few years. We arent being guided or even met by this person. It is just some advice on some public land.

03-Jan-15
"TBM, the biggest asset you had last year was guys telling you where to hunt."

Bulgmin maybe you can pm some of those guys and find out where I was when I killed my elk and meet me there. You can help me drag another one out. If you can find out where I killed it I will call one up for you.

03-Jan-15
TBM, if you dragged your elk out, you couldn't have been too far off road as dragging an elk will be pretty much all two people can do much less one.

03-Jan-15
Hey Tazman, there is a ton of great people with a lot of knowledge that they are willing to share about elk hunting on here. First and foremost, TBM is not one of them, he is a complete idiot, avoid any and all of his advice.

03-Jan-15
the bible

03-Jan-15
Ive been on Bowsite for a few years now just never posting in this forum cause i had nothing to add. I am well aware of a lot individuals on this site, good, bad, experienced, a little looney(no offense), etc. im not here to start a bashing thread. I just know what 406 just said, and that there are a lot of knowledgeable hunters on here that might be able to giv me any tips to make it a more pleasureable trip. Ive been bowhunting for 25 years and i know experience is everything But ive also learned that any tips u can get ahead of time can save u some aggravation thanks again for any of your help along the way. Im sure I will be on here all year asking advice, just bare with me.

03-Jan-15
The two most important things I recommend to prepare for an elk hunt:

1) Conditioning. Hike hills, up AND down, with a 40# pack. 2) Practice with your bow. Extend your range if you are not comfortable out to 40 yards. If you are solid at 40, get equally good at 50. Practice quick shots. Practice kneeling, sitting, standing with all weight on one leg (there's not much flat ground out there), and while twisting at the waist to the right and left. You may only get one shot opportunity in a week, so make it count.

03-Jan-15
Tazman, you already have several things going for you that cant be taught or learned. You play hockey, so you obviously have some athletic ability and mental toughness. Both are important in elk hunting. Most importantly is you are going into with the right mindset. Some guys get so hung up on the kill that they cant see the forest for the trees. You are going into with the honest and realistic expectations and just looking to have a good time with a buddy chasing an amazing animal. Now i will echo what others have said, get in the best absolute shape you can, hike with a pack and at an incline as much as you can. Brush up on some calling and elk behavior and go have fun.

03-Jan-15
The best advice I got over the years is 'just go hunt it, expect the worst and hope for the best and enjoy'.

04-Jan-15
It's hard to know what advice one needs without knowing the individual and the tools he possesses. In my case, I came into my first elk hunt with over 1000 animals setup on and called in..that was my strength. My weakness was I have not killed many while still hunting and less than 50 spot and stalk. Any of these tools might be needed when elk hunting. Anyone well rounded in all these areas should have little trouble with elk...that is if you can find them. Don't be afraid to pick up and leave an area if you are not into elk. There out there. You just have to keep pushing until you find them, then use the tools you possess to take them out.

04-Jan-15
tazzy

Backpacking will tell you most of what you need to bring physically (and even mentally) to your elk hunt. Make sure you maintain the fitness you gain backpacking by continuing to do strenuous hill hikes with a loaded backpack leading up to the hunt. Give yourself a few days to get used to the altitude before you go all in. Try to stay warm, hydrated, and well fed, and (can't believe I'm saying this) as TBM said, if the elk aren't where you are at, go in deeper, higher, harder, or move entirely. And remember, just because you are 30 yards away from an animal you worked harder for than any animal in your life, it doesn't mean you have to or should take the shot. Elk will soak up bullets and walk or run away - it's gotta be a real high percentage shot to squeeze the release.

04-Jan-15
As there is great information all over the internet, books and dvd's. Some other thoughts-

- Make a plan on your physical fitness, so you build up to the hunt and not destroy the body you will need on the way. You should also mix in shooting your bow with your physical training.

- Gear is a plus, but it doesn't need to break the bank. As it was said before "boots" will can make or break a hunt. So a couple of good broken in pair will be take you along way.

- Find out the area you will hunt, and start doing map studies, google earth, and understand the terrain you are going to get yourself into; in addition understand elk habitat, don't overlook areas you don't think elk are there. I've seen elk below cliff bands and right next to major highways. Elk are where you find them.

- Don't leave elk to find elk, on your first trip it will be overwhelming, beautiful, tiring...tiring, but take the first legal, ethical shot you have.

04-Jan-15
Thanks again for the tips. Part of my training is going to be treadmill and eliptical. I have two at home and can change the incline. I plan to work in the pack in a month or two, before I start doing some 2 night back packing trips in the white mtns. I am lucky enough to have some woods right behind my house that i whitetail hunt, that have a couple of real steap ridges. I plan on setting up a target at the top, doing "sprints" with a pack on, and practicing while out of breath in all different positions. My biggest challenge is going to be trying do this with a four year old around, lol. A big challenge for me is going to be able to get good past 50 yds. I dont do any practicing past that distance. I am looking into a new bow this year as well. I really like the Mathews Chill R , with the rock mod. To be honest, my biggest challenge is convincing the wife that this is not just a one time trip and plan on it happening every other year, lol.

04-Jan-15
"sleep where darkness finds you"???? I usually pass out at the end of the day. Could sleep in a tree if need be.

04-Jan-15

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
This book has a lot of info for the archery elk hunter.

04-Jan-15
Good past 50 yards? You taking a gun?

04-Jan-15
Thanks Vernon

04-Jan-15
You need 14 days if you can get it. It's hard to get it done in less unless you know the elk and the country your hunting. If you spend 14 days in elk country you will be a changed man...a lifelong sickness that starts the day your hunt ends.

04-Jan-15
I believe you Ylpmin, but its lookin like well be there for about 11 days, at the moment.

04-Jan-15
Get yourself a copy of Elknuts playbook and read it. Good stuff in that little book for someone that isn't elk savy. Gives you an idea of what to do and when to do it.

05-Jan-15
Thanks Rob. I will look into that book. I plan to do a lot of reading.

05-Jan-15
As long as you can separate the facts from the fluff, one would be hard pressed to find more valuable and wide-ranging information than right here on Bowsite. Not only can you learn what to do and how to do it, you'll also learn what NOT to do, which is just as valuable.

05-Jan-15
Take a ton of pictures and have fun. Don't get overwhelmed with all the new gear that everyone is obsessed with now, you can make it fine with the basics. Get some calls that you feel comfortable using.

05-Jan-15
I'm going to go against the grain a little here.

Since you are already an experienced hunter, set your expectations fairly high and you might work harder to meet those expectations. Tell yourself you're not going to settle for anything less than a bull but maybe you'll shoot a cow on the last couple days.

If you decide to kill the first elk you see you could be done the first day. If that's what you want then so be it, but you won't learn much about elk hunting if you kill a cow on the first day and your experience will come to a premature end. Nothing teaches you more about elk hunting than actually hunting elk and chasing bugling bulls.

My first elk hunt was in '98 and my buddy and I told each other that our goal was just to see elk and hopefully one of us would get a shot. Deep down inside though, I really wanted to kill a bull. Which I did as a result of hard work and not being satisfied with just seeing elk.

I agree that knowing an area can help but I don't think it's critical. I've killed 8 bulls the first time I ever hunted a unit and my success rate is actually better the first time I hunt a unit than it is if I return to that same unit. I think that's because the first time in I have an open mind and keep moving until I find elk. On a return hunt I think it's human nature to repeatedly return to places where you have seen elk before and that can be a counterproductive waste of time; elk are where you find them. The point is, don't fret because it's the first time in the unit, it doesn't bother me a bit.

I think however that studying and understanding topo maps and understanding how elk relate to terrain contributes greatly to success the first time in a unit. I'm a land surveyor and have worked with topo maps for years so when I look at one I actually see a 3D image.

This might also be a little unusual but all the time I have spent glassing in 16 years of elk hunting could probably fit into one half day. I know it works for a lot of guys but I'd rather spend my time covering ground, learning the unit and finding elk that way. It seems like a lot of the "glassers" that I know try to find open terrain to bowhunt for elk. In my experience, bowhunting in open terrain doesn't work that well and I prefer to go into the timber and find them and that has worked well for me. Any time that I have glassed or found elk in open terrain I have never been able to get close enough for a shot. Finding where the elk are "right now" is the best way to kill them and for me that works best in the timber.

Be in shape physically and probably more importantly, mentally. You don't have to be in marathon runner or Ironman shape and being an Ironman won't help if you're not mentally strong. Being mentally strong can really come into play when the going gets tough or when you're hunting solo.

Elknut's Playbook is good (BTW, it was my idea and I own signed copy No. 1) :^)

Buy high quality boots and break them in. No other single piece of equipment will affect you more if you cut corners. I personally like (uninsulated) Lowa Tibets and Renegades with Smartwool socks. I don't like liner socks, they seem to make my feet feel more clammy. I can't imagine trying to elk hunt in September with insulated boots.

Hunting out west is a good excuse to become comfortable shooting longer distances like 60 and 70 yards which has a lot of benefits, but in reality most shots will be under 30 yards.

05-Jan-15
Good advice Cheese head. Im not worried about shooting anything early. If i was that lucky i would still be helping my partner go after one the rest of the trip. I tried on a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX , boots this weekend and loved them. They fit incredible on my feet.

05-Jan-15
Wish I had watched this many years ago...

05-Jan-15
Great vid Midwest. Just learned a bunch of stuff. Thanks

05-Jan-15
Since you haven't been elk hunting before, you will be amazed how much water you need to drink. It can be hot. With that, your water bladder hose can be something that collects bacteria. Prior to drinking from it, let some of it drain out to clear out. Or when done drinking, blow back on the hose to clear it.

You mentioned aggravation? If you get the sh!ts when elk hunting, it's a weight loss program you won't likely forget.

06-Jan-15
Is it unusual for guys to be able to take two weeks off work back to back?

I work for a US-owned company here in Britain, and get the feeling that my American colleagues are quite suprised when I say I'm away for a fortnight; they near pass out when my European colleagues in France and Italy take THREE weeks off in August!!

06-Jan-15
Barty, I've had some dealings with a French company and those guys are ALWAYS on holiday!

06-Jan-15
Vive le difference, Midwest, vive le difference... :-D

As and when my darling wife and I make it to elk country, I reckon to take three weeks off; it will take us flatlanders a good few days to acclimatise to the altitude if nothing else [the highest peak in the UK is 4409']

I am giving serious thought to going guided for a week in CO's Flat Tops wilderness, and learning as much as I possibly can; if I can fill my tag, then that will be awesome...if not, I can then hunt DIY in an OTC unit for another week...

06-Jan-15
Barty1970,

Is the Flat Tops guided hunt in an OTC unit?

A lot of the Flat Tops is in draw units although very easy to draw. If your guided hunt is in a draw unit then I'm pretty sure you can't also hunt OTC for another week. You could however hunt the same unit that the guided hunt for another week.

I always take 2 full weeks of vacation plus a day or two on each end of the 2 week period. A couple years when I drew tags in 2 states I took 3 weeks off.

06-Jan-15
Do any of you guys recommend picking up another tag, bear, mulie, for that just incase scenario? Or is it really not worth the cash. We are going to be hunting in Southern CO just below Pagosa Springs.

06-Jan-15
I hunt there every year, personally I would just focus on the elk. If it is a hot year and you get an animal down it can take a few days out of the hunt to deal with it, just wouldn't want sacrifice a few days with a bear or deer. That's just me though. And honestly I haven't seen any decent numbers of mule deer there in several years, atleast not on the mt I hunt. If you get into some bugling bulls you will forget all about deer and bear !!

06-Jan-15
Thanks Mike...will take another look at the CO Big Game Guide...I'm new to elk hunting and also new to licences, tags, points, drawings, OTC, etc ;-)

25-Jan-15
If you see a deer or bear, count it as a "bonus". Your first post is spot on for your outlook. You wont be dissapointed. I dont have any spacific book for you to read. Your personal experience in the field will be priceless. Remember to give thanks when due :)

25-Jan-15
Lowa renegade boots are fantastic and soft enough soles for stalking.

26-Jan-15
10% of the hunters kill 90% of the elk. A lot of 10 percenters are on bowsite. Learn who they are and listen when they speak (write).

Think hard about advice given by people who've hunted many years with no or few elk kills, or advice given by people with only a few hunts/kills. Which includes my advice as well. . .

I may be flamed for this next one. . . .but here goes. . . .

I believe there's a tendency by many hunters to over-inflate the difficulty of an elk hunt. Yes, the terrain can be tough, and if you're hunting where the elk aren't, you'll think they're the toughest damn animal to hunt in the world. They aren't deer, not every patch of elk habitat will hold elk while you're there.

Some writers would have us believe that you must be 7 or more miles from the nearest road to have any chance of killing an elk. It just ain't so.

Have fun. It's addicting

27-Jan-15
Awesome, an experience you will Never regret. Start snooping around here, a wonderful resource for elk hunters, new and old.

http://www.elknutforums.com/Hunting/viewforum.php?f=3

29-Jan-15
Tazman

My rec regarding other tags is elk country generally aint deer country. Unless you have extra dough burning a hole in your wallet, stay focused on the elk Chances are you'll be sipping tag soup like 90% of us anyway, but you don't want to bounce around and lower your odds even further. Then again that radio collar study of bears trailing hunters to claim the spoils, maybe you have something there.

30-Jan-15
I talked to someone that has hunted close to the area we are going, and said there were a lot of mule deer around, and that he had regretted not having a tag. I think our plan for now, is if we have a third(camera man) with us as planned, we will have that person grab a mulie tag. Well have to see. My focus is elk. Thinking about it everyday, especially while ripping some miles off on the elliptical,lol.

30-Jan-15
1. The overall success rate for archery elk in Colorado is low, so don't go with unrealistic expectations.

2. My experience has been that research, scouting, and picking the right spot has trumped being in Superman shape...although that does come in handy. The area I hunt I have all the confidence in the world I can kill elk into my 70's with minimal exercise. They aren't always on steep slopes or extreme elevations.

3. If you are going to kill an elk then concentrate on that...at least on your first hunt or until you get a vibe for the other realistic opportunities there are in the area you are hunting. You have 7-10 days, so why make things harder worrying about what fly-rod to pack, or what other tags you should pick up? Focus on killing an elk, spend your time trying to do that and only that, and you'll have a better hunt.

31-Jan-15
Don't be afraid to be aggressive. I hunted elk twice, the first time was in 07. Out of our group of 5 we didn't get anything, we were timid rookie greenhorns. This past year we decided to go again for a 2 week archery hunt in MT and we came home with 5 bulls! We hunted a lot harder and were a lot more aggressive and got lucky.:)Like some of the others are saying, get a good pair of lightweight boots.

• Sitka Gear