JTreeman 07-Jan-15
Hugh 07-Jan-15
Buffalo1 08-Jan-15
Clutch 08-Jan-15
Clutch 08-Jan-15
Clutch 08-Jan-15
Buffalo1 08-Jan-15
07-Jan-15
I know that a nilgai is a very tough animal with a muscular front shoulder area with the vital being somewhat forward. What is the lowest poundage equipment setup recommended for nilgai?

I am looking for feedback from hunters who have actually hunted the animal.

Thanks

07-Jan-15
pm Bigpizzaman he hunts them almost every year, he will steer you in the right direction.

07-Jan-15
Greg,

That sweet new Elite you just bought will be fine! I shoot heavy draw bows but that's because I can and not need too. We've had guys and gals with much lighter set-up's do very well. If your KE is 60 or less I'd shoot a fixed head, but I've killed them with large cut mech heads, 75 grain fixed heads and everything in between. Key is to shoot FORWARD, if you're in the "crease" it's a gut shot! Straight up the front leg a third of the way! Quartered away even better!

07-Jan-15
Don't listen to BPM, he already knows everything. Don't you think if would be more fun to learn by trial and error!

In my limited experience with Nilgai, most guys whitetail/elk rig would be just fine. I shoot a pretty average set-up, 28" DL at 68lbs with 400ish grain arrows. I honestly think my setup would work for pretty much any animal found in North America. Shot placement is key (and always is) as BPM has stated, but I'm sure your Africa hunts have convinced you of that.

--Jim

07-Jan-15
I shot one using an Oneida Black Eagle Bow set at 65lbs and 2412 arrows and a 100 grain thunderhead. Shot was like 12 yards and he piled up in 50.

08-Jan-15
Thanks for the feedback. I am wanting to put Nilgai on my 2016 "Meet & Greet Roster" !!

08-Jan-15

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
Ditto BPM-- the pics shows you where your arrow needs to enter

08-Jan-15

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo

08-Jan-15

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
Low arrow placement is the key in front of the crease but be very careful to stay above the leg joint

08-Jan-15
Tks Clutch.

Photos bring it to life- African shot placement !!

Like BPM said- crease=gut shot.

• Sitka Gear