Bowme2 11-Feb-15
writer 11-Feb-15
Bowme2 11-Feb-15
drycreek 12-Feb-15
Sage Buffalo 12-Feb-15
16-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Funny... How everyone wants to hunt wild hogs. Or they would "love to have them on their place" to hunt. If they witnessed the problems first hand, hunters would NOT want them on their place. I can assure you.

I hunt river/creek bottom which is rich with cane thickets. It is 60% wooded 40% fields. No high fences of course. We don't run feeders or bait, because that is only a magnet for them. 12-15 years ago, you would be lucky to even see one. Now... They are thick!

You can sometimes see 30-40 sows and piglets running together. With that amount of receptive sows and young running around, then you see the "roamer boars" which facilitate the short gestation period. The boars are usually the ones I see and kill because they come bee-bopping through one of my whitetail setups.

One thing I Noticed this season with the bigger influx of pigs is... Of course, they compete with the deer (which I prefer) for food. The does moved off the usual haunts earlier than normal as the pigs moved off of the creeks in search of more food. They have also roto-tilled a lot of our fields, more than ever. This pig problem has become pretty bad.

This year, from now until late March, with the help of others, will wage war on these bastards. With the help of some of my local friends and hunting buds, we are going to bait them in... Dig holes with post hole diggers and pour in a concoction of corn, beer and whatever. Just need to contain them for a while. Might even set up a friends feeder. I know we can't kill them all, but we can make a dent. I'll post the results on his thread.

Here's a few I killed the last three months. This pig had notched ears. Which I was told was a marking for a pig that has been used for "hog dog" training. They do this for identification purposes. They are then released. Another problem, tresspasers.

16-Jan-15
Let me know if you need some help?!! Good luck

16-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo

16-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
I was curious about this one and actually weighed him. He was 185 lbs.

16-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Same pig as the last one...

16-Jan-15
Cool thread and good luck in your quest. I will be keeping tabs on this. Thanks for sharing.

16-Jan-15
After you're done having fun with the bow.............maybe consider breaking out the AR

16-Jan-15
Fun to shoot but no, I don't want them on my property, same as wolves. At least you can attempt to control hogs. Good luck, looking forward to lots of dead hog pictures!

16-Jan-15
Bill... That is In the works. I don't have any big guns, but have friends that do. I'm also gonna video the kills. I've killed plenty of them, time to let others kill some.

16-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
This is just a small view of the damage they do... This is on one of the roads the go through a field.

16-Jan-15
If you can hunt them at night you can hurt them. If you can't then just try to have fun and enjoy the pork. Mike

16-Jan-15
Rick, we killed a hog a few years ago that had been cut. We heard later that the guys in the area were running hogs with dogs and were cutting and releasing the boars they caught.

We have some luck with traps.

16-Jan-15
We had a group of 12 on our farm. TWRA guy said not to hunt them because it will just smarten the ones you don't kill up. Instead, we fenced in a small area and put a trap door on it. We fed them for a week so they got used to the set up and would all go to one location and then we trapped them.

Fish in a barrel... problem solved

16-Jan-15
Have fun and kill a bunch of them Rick. Will be watching the festivities on this thread for sure.

16-Jan-15
I thought it was illegal in OK to catch hogs with dogs and let them go!

Rick: Good luck. They definitely are devastating.

16-Jan-15
I'd like to trap them as well. If I can find someone that I trust that lives close by, I will do that. I'm not sure of the legalities of running dogs but I know it happens.

We were camped one night on our West side and heard dogs running something. Then minutes later we heard the blood curdling squeals of a pig as the dogs became louder and more intense. This barking and squealing went on for a good twenty minutes or so. We knew that someone was running dogs on the west side of out property. It's very remote and not much we can do. We're not going to get in an altercation over a pig. Landowner doesn't live nearby and wardens will laugh at you. So, all we can do is tell them they are trespassing and to leave. We have had to do that... Two o'clock in the morning and all four guys on 4 wheelers were packing heat. I was stern but I also had to use some tact. Especially when they drive up to your camp looking for their dogs. That's another reason I want the pigs eradicated.

There's an area on our North end that is remote also and we found a pile of pigs just over the fence. I was okay with that as long as they kill them. Just don't run all over our place and let the damn things go.

16-Jan-15
Not a problem I would welcome either. We have enough issues with coyotes. Looking forward to this thread.

16-Jan-15
Herd and slaughter, Rick!

16-Jan-15
I agree Bowme, anybody that wants a bunch of hogs ain't ever HAD a bunch of hogs ! I use night vision , an AR with suppressor, and a golf cart. We have been fairly successful at keeping the population in check, but in East Texas, you cannot eradicate, only vaccinate ( with a 75 grain BTHP behind the ear ) ! Good luck !

16-Jan-15
Drycreek... Agree. Saying we want to "eradicate" is like telling democrats and republicans to get along, it's not going to happen. Controlling them is a better term.

16-Jan-15
"Funny... How everyone wants to hunt wild hogs. Or they would "love to have them on their place" to hunt."

Funny you make such an untrue statement. Most hunters are keenly aware at what feral swine can do, and DON'T want them around. Kansas probably has the smallest population of any state that's had pigs for 20 years, because of a federal eradication program, and we don't hear many hunters wishing we had more.

Lots of luck. You'll need to kill around 70-percent of the population, annually, to keep a constant number of pigs year after year...ain't gonna happen with sport shooting and most kinds of trapping.

Fun chore, though.

16-Jan-15
It's not completely an "untrue" statement Writer. It's what I hear constantly when I post a pic of a hog I've killed. Funny you read between the lines. I never said everyone wants them around or MOST hunters are not aware of the damage they do. Im sure the vast majority are aware, I'm not blind.

17-Jan-15
Also, writer... Before you try to enlighten me on your vast knowledge of feral swine and what it takes to keep numbers constant, save your time and key strokes. I could care less. I'm just a small time Bow hunter from Oklahoma that likes to share with others. That was my intent. Sorry my initial statement wasn't satisfactory and you felt the need to take me to task with the "untrue statement" comment.

I lurk on here a lot more than I post and notice you attempt the same with other bowsiters. So... Save all of the big talk for the next guy.

17-Jan-15
Tndeer... That would be a good way to get rid of a bunch of them. I wish I had the time and money to go about it in similar fashion.

I'll post our initial setup tomorrow... We are going to small time hunt them for now since we don't have federal eradicators in SE Oklahoma.

17-Jan-15
I live in Texas and aware of your plight. I do alot of baiting with instant Kool Aid. I carry a small shovel into the woods, dig a hole and backfill while lacing it with the Instant Kool Aid. While rooting the hole they can taste, and smell it. They keep coming back because the they can still smell it. Just add more to the hole while backfilling. Cheap, and easy to carry. I think the sweetener is what keeps them interested.

17-Jan-15
Cool thread! This will be awesome!

17-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Left the bows at home and brought the .223 with ballistic tips. We were just gonna go get the bait spot setup... Two dead.

17-Jan-15
Awesome Rick!!! I love hunting hogs especially spot stalk.. Hogs are made for the stick and string

17-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Yes they are, Chris. I was with my wife today and we were putting i some "bait holes" for the pigs. We were driving in and drove up on some. I had my .223 just in case... Glad I did. I flanked them to get the wind right. There were probably 10-12 of them. Popped the first one in the head at 30 yards and another as they scattered at 40. One was a boar and one a sow. Pigs and coyotes I don't have any shame killing them with a gun.

We got the holes baited and will return next weekend for battle. :)

17-Jan-15
How do they taste? Also can you donate meat to others that may be going hungry? That's a lot of pork, no way you have that much room in freezer?

17-Jan-15
Used to live in n/e Texas and fought the damn things for years. Only thing I'll say about the holes you dug is I hope you put them in a place you wanted a small pond cause that is what you will have by next weekend. Please take some pictures of the baited spots, you'll swear someone came in with a backhoe.

17-Jan-15
Bowme2 - my apologies.

I don't "read between the lines," I've read, and written, the lines for a lot of years. Like a lot of occupations, we sometimes get overly critical of others. Again, sorry.

I get especially passionate about pigs because I've covered them extensively since 1989 and have witnessed the huge changes. (From 19 states to 42) I'm stating facts because they're facts, not trying to prove intelligence.

Enjoy your hunts. Nice killin', no matter the weapon.

17-Jan-15

drycreek's embedded Photo
Writer, cruise around TexasBowhunter.com and read some of the posts. Lots of guys who don't own land and live in town think that pigs are a gift from God. I think that's what Bowme had in mind. If you have never had to " clean up " after these suckers, I can see how you might think that. They go to the woods, see no deer, and a hog comes in " saves the hunt ". I would as soon not ever see another one. I know you know this, but some folks don't think beyond their own interests.

Bowme, here is one way we concentrate and hold them in one place long enough to get a shot at them. Pig pipes !

17-Jan-15

A little better pic. Pvc pipe filled about half full of corn, cabled to a stake in the ground, with a couple 5/8" holes in it. Had to put tin over the holes 'cause they weren't big enough for the damn squirrels ! They kept trying to make them bigger !

17-Jan-15
I am definitely not jealous that you have them but would definitely help with taking them out. Good luck!

18-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Jack... I drag them out in the field and open up their guts. Coyotes and buzzards feast. I want them gone or should I say controlled? They are worse than ever.

Cazador... That's a good idea. We used some jello packets in our mix.

Scrappy... Yea, we've done this in similar fashion years back and they did make a good size hole. I'll snap some pics next weekend.

Drycreek... That's a good idea. My buddy loaned me his feeder for this project and might incorporate your plastic tube next time down.

Michael/writer... No worries. Congratulations on your January tom.

I do have a question for everyone... I have this hole baited with holes dug down deep with corn mixture and jello. (I hate even talking about baiting). Also a feeder set for morning and evening.

My plan is to let someone make a stalk and kill one or two, gun or bow I don't care. Also have guys setup down the creek in both directions to pick them off as they escape. My question is will they shy away from coming back to the bait station?

18-Jan-15
I think I see some T-Bars in your truck bed so you probably already know this.... but if you don't stake out your feeder legs, they will knock your feeder over.

Good luck with the killin... errr... I mean control.

18-Jan-15
CD... Yes sir! She's staked down.

18-Jan-15
Don't be afraid the word "baiting" on an invasive species. Kill em.

On a ranch in Florida, they had the feeders set to go off 15 minutes apart. The pigs learned that cycle quickly, and went from feeder to feeder to feeder.

As bowhunters, we'd kill the last pig to leave, or just follow the herds as they went from feeder to feeder.

Bests,

18-Jan-15
I don't know what your hogs are gonna do, but when we shoot them here, we don't see them again for a while. I've had my place five or six years now, and we have give them hell ! No matter what or when, we do not let a hog or coyote live if we can get a shot at them. Good luck !

24-Jan-15
Went to check the bait sight today and looks as though the pigs haven't found it. Holes haven't been touched and around the feeder doesn't look much disturbed. Will check back next week.

25-Jan-15

25-Jan-15
You are working way to hard at it.

25-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
I've seen that, crestedbutte... If I could I would. :)

I'm thinking of using this guys method... This was in South Central Oklahoma.

25-Jan-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
He put the trap out and three days later, 15 of them.

25-Jan-15
We trapped them like that down near Cotulla, TX one year. Finished them off with 9mm. Nice thing is you can usually catch momma and most of their babies at the same time too.

Keep up the good work. Any chance that local charities could use the meat to feed the hungry instead of it going to waste?

25-Jan-15
crestedbutte, that was awesome. God Bless

25-Jan-15
Crestedbutte.... If I knew of some I would surely take them. But they would have to get them processed. Most processors won't Jack with them. I don't have the facilities nor do I want to jack with them. I want them dead.

25-Jan-15
Saying "donate them to charity," and having the time, money and accepting the responsibility to "donate them to charity" are two different things.

Time "jacking with them," is time that could be spent "really jacking them over."

Bow...you may see if you have a local USDA wildlife control officer in your area. They'll often work with guys wanting to trap and eradicate feral swine. Sometimes they'll furnish equipement.

Our guys in Kansas have stellar reputations. More than 99 percent of the landowners they talk to end up cooperating with trapping or aerial gunning.

25-Jan-15
I guess I could look into that, writer. As bad as the problem is in SE Oklahoma, they would probably laugh at me. But I'll look into it. I was also informed by an oil well operator this weekend that there are traps all around our borders. Also, there are no ag crops in or around my area. Cattle, hay fields, creek bottoms and hardwoods. That type of stuff. I could see the helicopter working in more open country, not the hilly and mostly wooded areas like we hunt.

25-Jan-15
If your goal truly is to eliminate the hogs, then trapping is by far the most effective means. For the price of a few cattle panels, t-posts and a trap door, you can eliminate dozens at a time.

By baiting the trap for several days while it is wired open, the hogs will get accustomed to feeding inside the trap. Once they get used to going inside, you set the trap and then catch the entire group at once. If you don't want to mess with them, the government trappers will do it for "free" ( our tax dollars pay for this service). A lot of folks don't know that there is also a market demand for feral hogs, and for quite a while they were bringing much more than domestic hogs. There are several buying stations in Oklahoma and Texas that purchase the hogs and then sell the processed meat in Europe. There is also a new domestic demand for grass fed, wild pork. Who would have figured that feral hogs would become the new yuppie food?

26-Jan-15
If you have a number of a government trapper, Tradman, please pm their number. I don't need a pig relocator or one that is going to profit off of them.

27-Jan-15
Just call your local USDA farm Service Agency to get the number. They will either utilize traps or helicopters or both, at their discretion. I am assuming you are the landowner?

27-Jan-15
I'll look into that, thanks. But if the landowner is required, I won't involve them. Think I'll just build myself some traps like the photos above.

28-Jan-15
The only way a feral hog can be transported is with a license from the state of Oklahoma. The only place they can be transported to is a buying station, a slaughter facility or Sporting Facility. All of these places are terminal locations and the hogs are killed. Whether you chose to kill them yourself,or make money selling them is your privilege.

28-Jan-15
Yes, and thanks for that info. I have no plans to transport a live hog. I realize now that there are a lot of folks trapping around our borders and I assume they are selling them. So, we'll just try to keep the numbers down the best we can using whatever methods work best and that are within our budget. We also realize that we will never be able to completely rid the land of ALL of them. We'll just keep doing our part.

28-Jan-15
I bet if you put an offer to fellow bowsiters for free hogs, you'd get a bunch of guys that would show up and take them off your hands post-kill. If I wasn't on the left coast I'd offer to take a few right now. I don't even eat corporate pork anymore - don't like antibiotics in general and sure don't want via my meat.

Reason I like having hogs to hunt is it is year-round. Only big-game animal you can say that about. It definitely isn't my property though.

Also agree with a poster a few back that where I hunt if you nail one (or better yet several) the herd will be scarce in that particular area for a few months. Pigs are far from dumb, they know where Wilbur and Babe got nailed. Of course, if you're into different herds like it sounds like you are, that wouldn't wise them up. Agree with other posters that trapping seems the most effective way to get rid of a lot of them. Build the pend sturdy though. Also heard of a judas pig technique (sow with a radio collar) that lets you get onto herd after herd (just don't kill her).

28-Jan-15
Williamtell... Thanks for the info. I appreciate your input. I'd love to invite bowsiters out to hunt, but I'd hate for folks to have to travel in and put down their hard earned money, then us not being able to find the pigs. I don't have bait stations and its not high fenced. As most know, pigs are very nomadic and hard to find at times. With that said... If someone wants to lay down some cash to get here and get themselves a hotel room, I'd take them out for a couple days to go after them. Wouldn't cost them a thing except the hotel and travel. It's an open offer, so If someone wants to hunt them the hard way... Pm me.

28-Jan-15
Aerial gunning is by far the most effective way to reduce a swine population. I watched em kill about 125 in a few hours last year. They think only two got away, though they may have been wounded.

Kills of 100 or more per day aren't uncommon. I'm not talking about cowboys like Nugent or Pigman, but trained USDA crews.

They wiped out a Kansas population of around 990 animals, and mostly with copters, though a lot were trapped. It ook several years, but they're gone!

02-Feb-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
My wife and I went to check the bait sight and even sat it on Friday evening. No pigs showed, but this dude as well as several others were on camera just 400 yards or so North of the bait area. Matter of time.

11-Feb-15

How many can you count? This is from a week ago. We can't seem to find them... :)

11-Feb-15
They get kinda smart-alecky when you put a little pressure on 'em don't they ? Just have to throw 'em a change up when the fast ball quits working. Try putting up a cheap solar charged motion light on a post at a bait site. Blast their asses at night enough and they will either move in the daylight or leave. You can rig that light up for about fifty bucks. I have two that have been in operation 24/7 for close to a year now, and still shining brightly. Even if you don't have night vision, you can still see 'em in a scope.

11-Feb-15
I got flamed on another site for suggesting that wild hogs deserved NO respect as a game animal and stated that I would gut shoot them with a rusty field point.

11-Feb-15
Drycreek... Good idea. Only problem is we don't live that close. They are hitting the feeder. Must be at night and limited. They are staying tight to the thicker stuff that is hard to access.

JamesV... I don't have a problem with that. I'd run them over with my truck given the chance.

11-Feb-15
James...I have a problem believing a feral hog would die from a rusty field point to the abdomen.

...better keep broadheads around, at all times.

Is it legal to shoot pigs at night in Oklahoma?

11-Feb-15
I'm not sure, Michael. Don't think it is. I'm too busy sleeping at night anyhow. :)

12-Feb-15
That is a problem, especially at my age. My sleeping habits and theirs are not compatible ! We have managed to stay up sometimes until two in the morning and pop some. Our favorite method is to slip up on the bait site from downwind using a golf cart. We can almost always get within 100 yd. and that's close enough with the relatively inexpensive night vision that we use. My buddy thought of a " cheat " that turns our Gen 2 night vision into a thing of beauty. We take some cheap IR lights, hook them up to a 12 volt feeder battery and aim them at the bait pile. The light they cast is invisible to the naked eye, but hit them with the night vision and it looks like an airport runway ! We have about $15 each in the lights and even a weak battery will run them all night. Then, the problem becomes, will they show or not ?

12-Feb-15
You can't shoot hogs at night in Oklahoma. Day only.

• Sitka Gear