phutch30 22-Jan-15
infiniti11 22-Jan-15
IdyllwildArcher 22-Jan-15
phutch30 22-Jan-15
phutch30 22-Jan-15
Dinkshooter@work 23-Jan-15
IdyllwildArcher 23-Jan-15
20-Jan-15
I just read this and thought some hunters might be interested in also reading. I’ve been saying this for years, let some hunters take out the sick sheep and get their Rocky or Desert Bighorn of their lifetime.

From the Associated Press January 12, 2015-

Montana wildlife officials are considering a plan to kill a herd of 50 bighorn sheep whose reproduction has been stunted by a 1997 pneumonia outbreak. They would then transplant healthy sheep into the area west of Lima along the Idaho border.

The Fish and Wildlife Commission will meet via video conference on Thursday to discuss possible ways to deal with the bighorn herd in the Tendoy Mountains, The Billings Gazette (http://bit.ly/1xhS7Tv ) reports. The Montana Wild Sheep Foundation supports the plan said Jim Weatherly, the group's executive director, after hearing that Utah and Nevada had undertaken similar efforts.

Wildlife management section chief John Vore said an environmental assessment and public comment would precede any action.

The Tendoy herd was transplanted into the mountain range in 1985 from a herd near Deer Lodge. The bighorn herd grew to about 150 animals before the 1997 pneumonia outbreak.

Getting rid of the remaining members of the Tendoy herd and bringing in new sheep might be a better choice than continuing to try and supplement a dying herd with more transplanted sheep, Vore said. The herd produces only one to three lambs per year.

Fish and Wildlife Commissioners are being asked to consider ways hunters could help remove the sheep, from creating an over-the-counter tag for the hunting district that includes the Tendoy herd or re-drawing the district to exclude another herd that lives mainly in Idaho but migrates into Montana. Those sheep are not infected.

It also wants to put into place an option to capture some sheep for donation to a research facility studying pneumonia outbreaks in sheep. However, no facility has been found. Vore said it would take about two years for hunters to remove all the sheep from the area.

The state would seek to transplant bighorn sheep from herds that have a history of migrating from high elevations in the winter. The goal is to have a herd of about 125 sheep in the Tendoy Mountains, Vore said.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/01/12/4471153/fwp-considers-eliminating-diseased.html#storylink=cpy

20-Jan-15
Sign me up! I've been saying this for years. Let the real sheep hunters hunt the healthy sheep, as broke down as I am I might be able to kill a sick one! Mike

20-Jan-15
This would be an amazing opportunity for some lucky hunters if the state decided to do this. It would also increase revenue for the state, have an auction for the tags or a separate random draw or something like that. It never made any sense to me when states or counties or even Towns here in NJ would hire people to come in and remove animals that hunters would do for free.

20-Jan-15
Most likely, if OTC tags, they'll be way out of price range for the average hunter... Tickets for chances may be the fairest way... DOW decides what the sheep are worth if doing OTC tags, takes that number amount, and sells tickets for chances for the same amount... State receives their money, and hunter take chances on tickets rather than only the wealthy being able to afford OTC...

20-Jan-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
This is a bit off the subject, but in a way still relates in many ways.

Utah transplanted some sheep not too far south of Salt Lake City, in Utah county. They did very well for a few years but came down into a couple communities and mixed with some domestic sheep. And as many of you know, wild sheep and domestic sheep don't mix well and in many instances the wild sheep die off.

Well that is what happened to the herd I just mentioned. And during one of the last winters, when most of the sheep were still around, I would hike up and take some photos of them. (I am sure that surprises some of you. Ha Ha) Anyway I hiked close to this nice ram and took his photo. It was then I noticed his nose and draw your attention to it. It was his last year on the mountain.

20-Jan-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And several weeks later, after a big fresh snow fall, I went back down to take some photos and noticed a ram high up on the hill, laying in the snow. I glassed him for quiet some time and thought maybe he was dead, so I hiked up to him and snuck in close and took this photo. He wasn't dead, and finally got up and moved off, but he had to be pretty sick.

Anyway its a sad deal and its tough to keep healthy sheep herds if domestic sheep are anywhere in the area.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

20-Jan-15
Always is so, so sad to see what always happens when they get together. So more humane to see them die from a hunter and be cherished forever...than die a slow death this way and be wasted.

Kyle or Jim in PA or whoever else, can you help w/ this issue?

22-Jan-15
If this happens it will be a zoo for the first day. This herds about 45 min from me. Easy to access the sheep. Wont be pretty by no means will it classify as a hunt. Personally I think FWP should just go in and conduct the cull.

The wealthy guys wont buy these tags. This unit doesnt produce big rams. Id be suprised if theres a 170+ ram in the unit.

22-Jan-15
The problem with elimination followed by reintroduction, is that there is no chance to diversify the genomic structure. Eventually all of the sheep in different herds come from the same herds.......bad thing. Supplement from various herds that have proven to be most successful at fending off disease. Domestic sheep are bad news in wild sheep herds.....but simple manipulation will never bring about anything but a temporary fix, no?

22-Jan-15
The problem is that where it happens once, it can happen again.

There may be certain circumstances where it's just not a good place to have wild sheep due to domestic sheep and none of us wants to hear or admit that.

There may be instances where we could limit or get rid of the domestic sheep, but if that's not possible, it might just not be a good place for wild sheep to exist.

If we have to cull a herd and replace it every 20-30 yrs, then that sorta takes the essence out of why "wild sheep" are so special in the first place. And a lot of why they're so special is because of where they live.

22-Jan-15
Almost all the sheep in MT can trace thier lines back to 1 or maybe 2 sources anyway. This isnt a native herd.

22-Jan-15
The rancher running the domestic sheep n this area has switched to cattle. So the risk of contact has at least been significantly reduced. i believe the permit to graze sheep has been switched to cattle also

23-Jan-15
I think I'd rather get my arse hairs tweezered than knowingly target and shoot a sick bighorn sheep.

23-Jan-15
It's a chronic infection. It's not like they're on their last leg. When they become carriers of the Mycoplasma, their young catch it when they are born and most die from it, thus the "dying herd." The ones that have it have essentially made it through the worst of it.

• Sitka Gear