Mossyhorn 12-Feb-15
Mad Trapper 12-Feb-15
Chasewild 12-Feb-15
Mark Watkins 12-Feb-15
Mark Watkins 12-Feb-15
Mike Ukrainetz 15-Feb-15
20-Jan-15
Bowsiters:

My first post on here after several years of watching, reading, absorbing, and enjoying your stories. I figured what better time to make an introduction than before I begin preparing for my first sheep hunt.

I think the most affordable sheep hunt is the Dall. WOuld you agree? If so, and if you had to pick, given your (my) average-joe income, would you hunt AK, NWT, or somewhere else?

Then, once you've selected a region, which outfitter would you use?

Some things about me: I hunt hard. I'm humble, and I've been humbled often out there. I will hunt only archery. Nothing against the rifle at all, but I'd like to do this with my bow. Success is in the story: the harder, the colder, the steeper, the better.

Also planning on an unlimited sheep hunt next year in MT with the .270 to get my feet wet with sheep and universally acknowledged brutal country.

Point me in any direction you may, and I'll carry the load of the research.

Best,

CW

20-Jan-15
Welcome to bowsite!

When the time comes for me to go on my Dall hunt I will be going to the NWT. Great outfitters up there with good success with the bow. Another reason which leads me to that decision is you can add a Mt. Caribou to the hunt for a trophy fee. A great way to get two species on one hunt if you get alittle lucky.

20-Jan-15
Cody,

weren't you and your brother planning on the unlimited hunts this last fall?

20-Jan-15
Welcome...

If you're going to hunt Dalls, hunt NWT. More expensive than AK, but the success rate is much higher for archery.

Arctic Red, Simpsons, Nahanni, Gana River are all good. Contact them, and go with who gives you the most "comfort". I'm sure there are other good ones as well.

20-Jan-15
Sorry mn_archer -- you must have me confused with another. But the unlimited looms ahead next fall.

20-Jan-15
What kota said

20-Jan-15
Def a Dall...and most likely you would be better off in NWT...and what njbuck said.

20-Jan-15
I've been on two AK archery dall sheep hunts and never got an opportunity. It can be done n AK. The hunt is definitely more affordable in AK than the NWT.

I saw plenty of sheep in AK they just didn't play fair. If I have an opportunity to go again it'll probably be NWT.

Now if I would have been hunting with a boom stick I'd been done in a day or two, but it was archery only area.

20-Jan-15
A Dall's sheep hunt is the most affordable if you are going guided route and not trying to get lucky and draw a tag. NWT is more expensive, in general, than Alaska but you will likely see more sheep, see fewer hunters/planes, and have a better chance of success in NWT. Sometimes you can find discounted hunts when a booked hunter cancels. Get on mailing lists for that option.

20-Jan-15
All great information. I had no idea bout the price disparity between the two. Thank you all for your help.

21-Jan-15
Cody,

there was another guy named Cody from CO who was all over the internet last year talking about going up there sheep hunting, sorry I just figured it was you.

Your best bet would be to get on a phone list for cancellations if you were flexible for time and also hit the shows. ive talked with so many people who have gotten unbelievable deals on sheep hunts because when the phone rang they were able to say yes and jump on a plane in very short notice. Take Dalls hunts for example. You will see them online from $7500-$20,000 at times. The price varies a lot so do your due diligence on your outfitter and his area.

good luck

michael

21-Jan-15
I've emailed Arctic Red, Ganna, and Nahanni. Any others? I'm seeing a top price of about $22,500 -- that is beyond what I'd consider. Or do I need to adjust my expectations?(!!!).

21-Jan-15
Check out Coke Wallace in Alaska, good area for Bow little cheaper then NWT and good equipment/camps.

http://www.midnightsunsafaris.com/hunts.php

21-Jan-15
Welcome, Cody!

You've come to the right place, for sure. Guys here will do whatever they can to help you.

Strongly consider attending next year's "Sheep Show" in Reno. Pretty much every outfitter worth his salt will be there, as will be a couple thousand passionate sheep hunters. There's no better place to get started.

Meet and interview outfitters, talk with other sheep hunters and get introduced to the world of sheep hunting.

21-Jan-15
Here is a link for all of the outfitters in the Mackenzie Mountains. All are good. I would check with all of them and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

http://www.huntnwt.com/outfitters.html

Have a great time....it truly is a wonderful place.

21-Jan-15
Ramhead for sure

21-Jan-15
All great advise. I was in the same boat when I went on my first sheep hunt and had exactly the same questions you have and prices were not what they are today either. I did not feel comfortable taking any one persons word for it so I decided to go to the Sheep Show in Reno. I figured it was a small investment considering the money that was going to be spent. I made a list of potential outfitters, went to the show and was able to talk to each on my list and made the decision to go with Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters. The important point was I talked to each several times and felt I made the right decision in the end. Plus that was the beginning of my involvement with the Sheep Foundation and that has never let up.

21-Jan-15
I went through the same thing this past year. First I decided on dall sheep to "dip my toes" into the sheep-hunting waters. Then I narrowed my search to the NWT because I felt the archery success rates are higher.

After talking to a couple dozen guys who have sheep hunted (both bow and rifle), then talking to 5 or 6 outfitters, I chose the outfitter I felt best fit with me and my expectations for the hunt and had the personality that I liked best.

From there, feel confident with your desicion, write checks and count the days! Good luck

21-Jan-15
If you just want to bow hunt sheep, Alaska is a good option.If you want to bowkill a sheep and want the best possible odds, the NWT is your best option. If you have to go to Alaska twice to get it done, you might as well go to NWT.

21-Jan-15
When I researched the NWT, I came down to Arctic Red River, Gana River, and Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters as my top 3. I had some fits and starts to the plan, and ended up having the fortune of talking to these outfitters before and then during the recession, and the thing that ultimately sold me on Gana was that Harold gave me almost exactly the same answers during good times and bad - no changing the answers to try and sell hunts during the recession. I got lucky and killed a nice ram and caribou with my bow in 2013, and am going back in 2017.

24-Jan-15
I've never hunted Alaska for Dalls but I guided in NWT for several years before helicopter use and with limited helicopter use. By limited I mean pickup and dropoff to one predetermined location, no spot sheep and dropoff and then pickup at the kill scene. With modern Heli use it makes it so much easier, especially when you can land close to the sheep, wait 12 hours and then go try to kill a sheep on fresh legs. Your legs are not beat from a 1-3 day uphill hike with a 50-60 lb pack just to get to the sheep. In fact with a helicopter you may never even put on anything more than a daypack? Even after the kill? Am I not correct? This seems to be the huge difference between Alaska and NWT, is it not? In fact it can be the huge difference between areas within the NWT, between an outfit like Arctic Red that as far as I know doesn't use helis, backpack only, and someone like Nahanni Butte that uses them extensively?

If success rate is your biggest concern then NWT with helicopters is your best option for sure. If like Chasewild said in his opening thread, "Success is in the story: the harder, the colder, the steeper, the better." Then I'm not sure if NWT is his best option, especially when price is a concern.

From my personal experience a modern helicopter hunt and a backpack only hunt is a completely different experience and something that gets constantly glossed over in the Dall sheep threads. By the way I'm not against heli use, it is a very effective way to not overhunt any one part of your guiding area and it is possible to have a physically and mentally tough heli hunt but it can be quite easy, especially compared to a backpack hunt. If you only hunt ONE day of a backpack hunt it isn't easy, in fact getting your camp up on the mountain is often the very toughest day. You have to survive it just to be able to then actually hunt for sheep.

Just my 2 cents.

24-Jan-15
I think the backpacking and the physical effort are an essential part of the adventure.

There's a lot more to sheep hunting than just killing a sheep. A LOT more.

24-Jan-15
As stated, there are still some outfitters in the NWT that do not use helicopters but rather rely on Super Cubs for transportation within the area. Gana and (I believe) ARRO are two. When I was in Norman Wells in 2013, I met a successful ARRO hunter who had to pack his sheep ~ 12 miles to the landing strip.

I've hunted sheep in AK twice and the NWT twice and if I was bowhunting only, I would go back to the NWT just due to the higher density of game - in fact I am doing just that. Bowhunters often need 2 or 3 stalks to close the deal, and in AK you may not have that luxury - or if you do it could be a 1-2 day walk to the next band of rams.

24-Jan-15
From the research I've done $20k is about average for a Dall hunt. Add in travel, shipping costs for meat/hide, taxidermy bills, etc and you can likely add another couple of thousand on top of that.

26-Jan-15
Mike -- thanks for that perspective on Heli vs. Non. A reality I hadn't totally considered.

I've contacted a few different outfitters and guides and I'm looking into a new operation in BC in the Costal Range. Does anyone have any experience with BC sheep and that mountain range in particular?

The price seems to be right, but I'm still hammering out the hunt specifics.

26-Jan-15
Beware of "New operations". I learned that the hard way. Many times over.

26-Jan-15
Its your money, but LEARN from people that have been there and done it. Your decision ultimately but I would go where its been proven to be worthwhile rather than gamble.

27-Jan-15
The coast range of BC for a sheep bowhunt compared to NWT helicopter hunt! It depends if you want to kill yourself or a sheep!!

27-Jan-15
Mike's right the coast range in BC is an ass-kicker!

27-Jan-15
I've learned something important on this thread.

I knew some outfitters used helicopters, but I thought that was in lieu of Super Cubs, flying you to the same spike camps but without needing a landing strip.

But now I learn they can fly you to where the sheep are and drop you off nearby.

To me, 75% of a sheep hunt is simply FINDING a legal ram. My sheep hunts have always been done on foot with a backpack and that's the way I always want to do it.

Yet now I learn you can land in a chopper near where a legal ram is and go shoot him 12 hours later?

That's not for me and I'll bet Jack O'Connor is crying in his grave over this.

27-Jan-15

27-Jan-15
I've seen um ride right up to the dead ram and hook the horn on the landing gear and take it back to camp without even getting out. Seen it on tv anyway.

27-Jan-15
Chasewild - sent you a PM

28-Jan-15
"That's not for me and I'll bet Jack O'Connor is crying in his grave over this."

I've read Jack's book on sheep hunting. He made extensive use of horses in many of his sheep hunts.

28-Jan-15
Ollie,

Horses are a given on most sheep hunts. Normally they are used to get hunters to a spike camp or to get from a spike camp to a place where you'll start off on foot for the day.

But helicopters are a whole different thing if they're being used to spot sheep then drop you off close by. That's not making it for me when it comes to fair chase.

28-Jan-15
Not to derail the thread but it would seem to me that using a helicopter instead of a horse is no different than using a horse over using your feet. Or using an airplane to get into your hunting area. Also no different than using a gun over a bow. I don't find any problem with any of it. To each his own.

28-Jan-15
Steve B,

There's a HUGE difference.

A horse is not likely to get you to where the sheep are at any point.

A helicopter can cover more ground in ten MINUTES looking for a legal ram than a horse could, or a man hunting from a horse could in several DAYS! I've done sheep survey work and capture work on helicopters so I know the difference.

A helicopter can put you down in reasonable proximity to where the ram is. And that's what's happening in some cases.

Not the same thing at all. No way, no how.

I want no part of that sort of 'hunting' with my hunts.

Cowboy Ethics, Rule #9: "Some things are not for sale."

28-Jan-15
NvaGvUp: I understand and respect your point, but just disagree. I think it is likely that there are some reading this thread that would say that using a rifle instead of a bow to kill a sheep is making it "easier" just as using a chopper to save a day or two of hiking up is making it "easier". Heck with your thinking you shouldn't even use a plane to get to your hunting area...you might as well use horses for a few weeks and make it a " real" hunt. Everyone has different beliefs regarding what is acceptable. We shouldn't insist that our way is the only acceptable way or that someone else's way somehow diminishes their accomplishment. IMHO

You said you don't want "that sort of "hunting" on your hunts". Well, as uou know some others don't want rifles. My only point is that it's no different. Its just your opinion and I respect your right to think that. But that doesn't make it gospel.

Once again...to each their own.

28-Jan-15
Steve B,

Have you ever done a sheep hunt?

28-Jan-15
Can't draw a tag and north of the border is out of the price range. But how is that relevant to whether or not a guy is short cutting to use a chopper instead of hiking to get to the top? I'm not going to make this a personal battle..its a debate... And that's all it is.

28-Jan-15
It's either fair chase or it's not.

I suppose you could shoot one inside a small high fence operation as well. Would that not also be 'short cutting?'

29-Jan-15
Using a chopper to land on top of a mountain instead of hiking up the mountain is no different that using a horse, it just is quicker (and more expensive).

It has NOTHING to do with fair chase as long as flight time rules are followed and according to P&Y no different than using a super cub to land (which I have done). To compare that to a fenced area is ridiculous.

Done hijacking this thread, over and out.

29-Jan-15
It's always entertaining when people decide they have no use for or argue over something they have no first hand knowledge of. Reminds me of people who have never tried oysters on the half shell saying they don't like them.....

I've actually hunted Dall Sheep with the use of a helicopter as I'm sure a bunch of guys on this site have. On my hunt I was put down in an area that held sheep but the nearest sheep was miles away from our spike camp. We covered miles each day, spent a few nights on the mountain sleeping on the tundra in our rain gear and I lost 10# on the hunt. So yeah it was really easy! I never felt like the helicopter was being used for anything other than transporting hunters Into the spike camps in areas that were known to hold sheep. We saw sheep going in but they were at least 5 air miles from where spike camp was set up. Further it would be extremely difficult and dangerous using a helicopter to get close enough to rams in much of the country to determine if they were legal.

To the OP nearly all the outfitters in the NWT use them but if you're definitely not interested then I believe Arctic Red has a backpack only option.

29-Jan-15
Like all things, I suppose Helo's may serve their purpose in certain hunts and I am not opposed to using a helo like most use a plane (i.e. transporting to a base camp).

Other than that extended dialogue, all of your information has been helpful, but I'd like to re-focus on what the Coast Range has to offer in terms of what sheep populations look like, any outfitters you've used etc.

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind some stories and photos to keep that fire going.

30-Jan-15
I have hunted sheep where we got in on quad, plane (float and wheeled) and helicopter, and the difference between the 3 was not that substantial. Generally speaking, water is found low and sheep are found high so you are going to work hard regardless but for different reasons. All 3 of my copter drops were well below the sheep to camp on water, while one of the plane hunts was the only time I was ever dropped above sheep.

As stated above, there is a biological benefit to helicopters in that outfitters can hunt more of their area because they do not need to build/maintain runways which allows them to disperse hunting pressure within their areas.

04-Feb-15
Anyone heard of this outfit?

http://www.moonlakeoutfitters.com/dall-fannin-sheep

12-Feb-15
There are different ideas of what a sheep hunt is and what it is not. I moved to AK for five years so I could hunt and live that dream. I went on five hunts, two the last year I was there and I just moved back to the northwest. I was lucky enough to kill a nice 39" ram with a rifle on my second attempt. The third year nothing and the fourth year, I brought my two brothers up. This was the most epic adventure I'd ever been on!

I had researched it all on my own, picked our destination and hired a pilot. We hit the ground 3 hours from civilization and walked 14 miles over 2 days to get to where we'd start hunting. We didn't see much on the way in and scouted further upriver but found no legal rams. The night before the opener we found two nice rams together and killed them opening morning. I have my bros first crack and they took a 38" and 39" ram. We hunted one more day knowing it's take us several days to get out with all our meat and found nothing. Hunted our way out and spent one day checking a big drainage. But that was all we could find.

I made one more attempt and flew out for a week close to home and no legal rams were found.

I had never worked harder on a hunt than I did my sheep hunts. They were grueling. To me, sheep hunting is suppose to be hard. The harder it is, the more you feel like you've achieved something. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if you don't suffer on a sheep hunt, you haven't been sheep hunting! LOL!

If you want the true experience do a back pack hunt where you are spiking out miles from base camp.

On a side note, we had a guide that was hunting at about 12 miles in while we were at 14. He had two assistants and they humped all kinds of stuff into their spike camp and had everything all setup before their clients arrived. The clients walked in and carried their guns, clothes and sleeping bags. Then when they shot a sheep, they floated it out in packrafts.

So here you had two groups of hunters hunting a few miles apart and you had, likely, two different experiences. I would love to hunt sheep again and will likely hire a guide to be able to do it. But a huge factor for me will be what I've described above. Me personally, I want a tough, rugged adventure where I'm forced to push my self to my limits.

12-Feb-15
On my last dall hunt, we choppered into the area. After we landed, it took us five days of hiking, hunting and glassing to get within bow range of a legal ram. Use of a chopper allows you to get into the area and save some energy, but it does not in any way seal the deal. I also choppered into an area to hunt mountain caribou. We walked many miles during that hunt and at one point were charged by two grizzlies. We were able to get the chopper close to the kill site to avoid a long heavy pack out though! I have also hunted sheep and goats from horseback and I have been on straight backpack hunts. Each type of hunt has its unique levels of difficulty. I don't measure my hunts based on how hard they are in somebody else's eyes. I have been on several mountain hunts and for me, I am waiting for the first "easy" one. But I love each an every one of them and am thankful that I could do them. I hope that I have a few more in my future. To each his own.

12-Feb-15
I've done a fair amount of research since I started this post and I've drawn some solid conclusions:

1. I'll be hunting NWT or BC; 2. I'll use whatever method to get into the base camp, but I expect nothing short of grueling; 3. I have a sub-$20k absolute limit; 4. I'm hunting 2016; 5. I'm hunting unlimited MT this fall for 2 weeks; 6. I'm excited.

Can anyone talk to me about travel to and from Canada? Things to take care of in advance, etc.?

12-Feb-15
Chasewild, Travel to and from Canada is pretty straight forward:

A: Listen to your outfitter as he has facilitated this many times and will often times have special rates set up with the hotels and at times the airlines.

B: Travel a day early to allow any bags that don't make the flight with you time to arrive the next day.

C: I always take two bows. Ive never needed the second one but for what I have invested in the trip and the time away from family and business I look at it as cheap insurance.

D: Travel insurance....something for you to consider especially on a hunt of this magnitude (and investment).

Mark

12-Feb-15
ah duh....

E: Passport

Mark

15-Feb-15
I agree with Mark's great advice where you can bring a 2nd bow right up on the mountain with you but once you are off hiking where the weight of everything you carry must be minimized and a trip back to the cabin or drop point isn't feasible instead of a 2nd bow I bring an "almost" 2nd bow.

That is I bring a portable bow press, a totally shot in and stretched 2nd string with peep tied in, d loop material, a spare rest, a spare release aid and sometimes even a spare sight, along with Allen keys, a leatherman and photos on my phone and written instructions on how to do some basic maintenance. Then before your hunt practice taking apart your bow and putting it back together. It's pretty simple actually and it is where 99% of your bow problems are likely to occur. Also bring 10-12 arrows, 18 broadheads and a small dense 6 inch foam target to re-sight your bow in if it changes. Carry it with you as much as possible or... Forget all that crap and when you have a bow breakdown just pick up the guide's gun and kill it.

• Sitka Gear