LINK 23-Jan-15
Willieboat 23-Jan-15
DaELK 28-Jan-15
Frank Sanders 28-Jan-15
Willieboat 28-Jan-15
Frank Sanders 28-Jan-15
olebuck 02-Feb-15
22-Jan-15
So I have two good Friends that are great elk hunters, both are in their 60's and have both killed numerous nice elk.

They have been applying for Unit 9 Arizona for years, they have 16 points.

they are ready to go this year even if they have to draw another unit.

what other units would you recommend they apply for other than unit 9 ?

according to our sources unit 9 is flooded with applications and every year the pool grows larger.

I hope to inherit their NM tags once they make their final run to AZ

any input or contact information to discuss experiences would be great.

22-Jan-15
They could draw 10, 27, or 1/2B/C

22-Jan-15
The point pool has stayed roughly the same for the last three years I checked, 45-50, which shows the guys applying for 9, want 9. With muzzy moving ahead of bow, it may pull some bow applicants but I doubt it's enough to make their odds 100%.

1 and 27 can be demanding hunts. The flat ground I saw in 1 was filled with hunters and not conducive to bow hunting.

22-Jan-15
The higher demand units have historically been- 9 the hardest, some say 23 North bow is equal or better but very few tags so probably not an option. then units 10,1, 3 A/C, 27.

22-Jan-15
23 n is a great rut hunt but I believe only 1 NR tag. 9 might be the ticket.

22-Jan-15
I applied for 10 and 7W thinking they were both very good units with the points I had for Archery. I talked to two very respected outfitters since the draw who hoped I did not draw this year in either Unit because they said, They screwed both Units up!

I would aim for 9 or 1/2B/C with 16 points. That is what they both advised me to do if I did not draw in 2015.

22-Jan-15
Comparing U9 to U27 is like apples and oranges- I've hunted both. 9 is a much easier hunt for 2 reasons; you can see the bulls a lot better, and its more like rolling hills where 27 is steep, and nasty.

I like 27 as I'm not out there for the biggest bull in the woods...but if i had 16 points I don't think I would waste them on it. 9, 23, 3, 10- probably if I wanted a really big bull.

22-Jan-15
I'm having a tough time picking units this year too but I don't have 16 points to burn.

If I had that many I'd choose 23N but I don't think that will get it done for a NR. With all the hype and low tag numbers, that unit is going to have some serious point creep for the NR's!

He should stick with 9, maybe 10 or possibly 23S, 21 or 22. Unit 1 has too many tags now for a top quality hunt although the country doesn't get any nicer. Would be nice if they knocked the tags back to 150 or so like the good ol days and then I'd say it was the best hunt in the state.

I'd put 3C and 27 and maybe 7W on the next tier down and probably not worth using 16 points on in any year.

Funny you sure don't hear much about Unit 8 this year, LOL!

22-Jan-15
To me unit 10 is screwed up since the Boquillas is owned by the Indians and they have changed to rules. Unit 9 and if you draw, I will help you.

22-Jan-15
The thing is, he said that they're sick of applying and want to hunt. 9 and 23 aren't a lock.

22-Jan-15
I think its going to depend on how savvy the non res folks with lots of points are. Plenty of guys just banking points so they can hunt whenever they want...that won't be as easy in 2016 and beyond if they initiate the proposals floated...and may not be that easy this year if it creeps up like I'm thinking it will.

23-Jan-15
I am not sure if they are NR? If they are, I tried for 9 and 23 N with 16 NR elk points last year. I will try for 9 and 23 N this year with 17 NR points. Sorry, If your friends are NR, then I don't think your friends have a shot with 16 points. I am just going off my own personal experience. 16 didn't get it done last year and I don't think it will get it done this year. Best of luck to them.

23-Jan-15
Realistically, how many points does a NR need for a lock on 9? I will have 15 after this year.

23-Jan-15
Last year in unit 9 early archery was 100% down to 16 points where it dropped to 20%. Early rifle was 20% with 20 points. Late archery had great odds way down the point list.

23-Jan-15
This year on unit 9 I was "guessing" about 40% odds with 17 points. That was until the season dates were changed. Now I think it will be lower odds @ 17 points. Maybe even 20%.

Just my WAG

23-Jan-15
You have the wrong number of points, at the wrong point in time, as do a whole bunch of people.

23-Jan-15
Mad Trapper- that is the million dollar question. this year the smart guys will draw out- possibly inflating the points it took in these units the last couple of years.

If that proposal goes through for 2016- all bets are off as now you are vying for 1/2 of the tags you had prior in the bonus round. you might be looking at another 5 years for U9- could be more....but it won't be less, thats for sure.

23-Jan-15
You could partner with me and draw a unit that takes 8pts. I'm not a famous elk killer like bigdan or Dan Evans but it would be a good deal, for me. :)

23-Jan-15
double post. I must have been too excited at the prospects of hunting Arizona this year.

23-Jan-15
Have them do separate apps for 23n and 23s.

I have had the chance to hunt 23s, not a lot of elk but some really big bulls. Have also messed around in 23n and i think that is elk heaven !!

28-Jan-15
They say 9 and 23N are very comparable, with 16 points a long shot for 9 and not in the running for 23N. 23S has better odds, but how does it compare to say, Unit 1? Supposedly less elk but still some nice bulls.

28-Jan-15
For the record, who ever deleted my post, it was a joke. Willieboat is one of my best friends and the raghorn I referred to was 434 inches!! As far as odds n points go for either 23 tag, like I said, going in w 18 points and not counting my eggs yet. One problem that I've heard about, but not seen personally, is rifle guys getting notes from their Doc so they can get a disability permit and use a crossbow???

28-Jan-15
Frank, were you busting my balls ?

Look at it this way in 9 your competing with 99 other tag holders.

In either of the 23 units your only dealing with 14 other tag holders.

28-Jan-15
I was, they deleted it! I won't do 9, especially this year with ML guys going in first, 23 or 1/3A-3C after the bulls we saw in there, see what turns up. Tried calling you back, cell service sucks at new ranch

02-Feb-15
could some of you with some experience PM me your #?

my buddy steve would love to talk to you guys a little more in depth.

• Sitka Gear