spike78 29-Jan-15
TurkeyBowMaster 29-Jan-15
crankn101 29-Jan-15
snapcrackpop 29-Jan-15
24-Jan-15

snapcrackpop's Link
for me and my kids for next season.

24-Jan-15
He says his broadhead provides "lift" and "steerage". I'd be curious to know why that's desirable.

24-Jan-15
clever sales tactic.......associate a relatively unknown broadhead with a well known one in order to drum up sales...close call, almost got me with that one.

24-Jan-15
No way 6-gold

24-Jan-15
"Relatively unknown" not even close. Tim is one of the most respected bowhunters / archers around, and his broadhead design is about as good as they come. The Helix is a bada$$ broadhead.

24-Jan-15
"Relatively unknown broadhead"

24-Jan-15
Please dont insult Helix like that...

24-Jan-15
Have spoken to Tim in the past few weeks on the phone and a great guy. Very helpful and knows his stuff for sure. Was researching D6 heads and came across his, which spawned the call.

Have some on the way to test out. I also shot the slick trick D6 and on par with the regulars-accurate and sharp :)

24-Jan-15
A Helix is nothing like a slick Trick. I won't say they are better because every broad head has its benefits.

It is a single beavel head that has a 40 degree cutting edge. It is a 2 blade with a tanto style tip.

There is a pretty neat thread on AT showing the penetration of a helix in a cow leg bone. It blew through that bone no problem on a 423 grain total arrow weight.

I think I am going to give them a try this year as well as the steel force phat head.

24-Jan-15
Kinda looks like NOT a slick trick! Although I would like to shoot one and see how they fly. Wish it had a bleeder too.

24-Jan-15
Did you guys miss my "for me and my kids for next season"?

I just ment that I will by trying this head next season and that I am VERY impressed with it like the SlickTricks the past few seasons.

You should see the ability of this single bevel to split bone. WOW! I did a search of this site and could only find one mention of it in the past year, so I thought some of you would be interested in this lesser known broadhead.

24-Jan-15
X2 JW.

24-Jan-15
I haven't found any pictures of the head disassembled. How much meat is there to the ferrule where is meets the insert?

24-Jan-15
from what i have read, they are a great head.. some have had some flight issues but who knows what was causing it really, i find that "problem" to be debatable.

i would like to try some but i am stacked up on heads...

24-Jan-15
snapcrckpop,

Have you shot these yet? I'm very interested in how they fly. I've seen the bone splitting demo. It's very impressive to say the least!

24-Jan-15
Snapcrackpop- was just bustin your balls a little. I know what you meant. It does look like a good design and would like to test its shootability but I'm all stocked up a BH's at the moment. Would love to hear some feedback from you if/when you shoot them.

24-Jan-15
I've been doing a lot of research on them and every review has been positive. I really love the thickness of the blades and they also help the arrow rotate in flight.

I'm probably going to have them in my quiver this fall.

24-Jan-15
I remember Joe Bell writing in B&A this fall that he would be using them on an elk hunt, and that they were very accurate. I have always respected Joe's opinion, I might give them a shot myself.

24-Jan-15
Killed a couple does in 2014 with the Helix, and a couple feral goats. They fly pretty well and did a number on the only real bone I hit with one, but that was on a small doe that honestly other heads might have done the same thing. They do kill stuff, I was pleased with their performance, killed everything I shot at with them.

Longest shot was about 32 yards. Longest blood trail was maybe 60-70yards, the others were 20-30 yards one goat was maybe 5. Rocks damaged one head and another I still have to go back to the tree it's buried to the threads in and get it. I have my doubts as she snapped the shaft off when she jumped, likely bent the ferrule. Long story, on another island.... but if I ever get back there I have it GPSed... The heads were both damaged/stuck after pass through. But pretty light game, not much of a penetration test.

Got them specifically to see what they did with bone when the sshot was off a bit, I like to shoot fairly tight to the shoulder. The favorite COC 3 blades seemed to "stick" in the bone more rather than break it like I've seen two blades do many times. In theory the two blade single bevel, tip, thickness and blade angles.... they should be near the top of that category.

Only real issue for me was sharpening. Must have a touch of ADD, but with the regular diamond stone they can take forever, you have 6 separate blades and angles to sharpen and several of them you have to use the corner edge of the stone. Plus the cheapskate in me started to worry about prematurely wearing out the corners of a $120 stone.

Anyway, the 3 pack is down to one that's already killed one doe and is still in good shape. But trying out another two blade head now that I'm real anxious to put it on some game soon. It looks and shoots great so far, we shall see. I'll have one Helix in the quiver though. Mostly to bother the OCD guys I hunt with.... =D

If I could figure a good quick simple way to sharpen the Helix I might try them again at some point. I'm thinking something along the lines of using the worksharp and then the flat stone to deburr and finish it up.

24-Jan-15
Good review TD. Strickland's has a sharpener he sells for the Helix that seems easy to use, although I haven't tried them yet. Sharpening seems to be the only issue I've seen regarding what people have trouble with on the helix.

24-Jan-15

Hawkeye's Link

24-Jan-15
I will go with JW about Tim ......After Chuck, No One is in his Class , Knowledge or Credibility . I live near and Know Tim. The johnny com Lately`s and Marthon runners / Iron Pumpers do Not have the harvest and Bow Knowldege like Tim does , nor being 2 time US Olpmpic Archery Coach . Stop by his or my ranch to see the Museum`s of Mounts / Photos of Harvested game ( not just Wh Deer or hogs ) with Arrows ...and no 5 -10 K Run Ribbons or Supplement Cabinet in either ranch .

24-Jan-15
These heads were made by Golden Key in the late 90's early 2000's before they went out of business. Tim bought the rights to the broadheads and started making them single bevel in the mid 2000's, around 2006. I know he did serious testing on them before he started marketing them.

25-Jan-15
I haven't ordered then yet, but will post my results when they arrive.

Most hunters recommend a simple two blade head for kids and heavy African game. My kids are pulling about 35 pounds, so this head was interesting to me at the start. The bone splitting properties of the single bevel design sealed the deal for me to try out.

25-Jan-15
Calling bullshit on a head that provides lift or steering.

Lift would only be provided by two different air pressures flowing across the plane of the broadhead.

There is enough surface area on a broad head to support that. Well not enough energy to project an arrow far enough to get lift.

Simply Google how a plane provides lift.

The broad head would also have to be perfectly level to provide lift. You would not be able to use a helical on your feathers or vanes either.

How in the hell does a broad head steer anything??? Steering is an act of changing a trajectory during mid course.

I will stick with my new Montecs and enjoy these types of threads!

25-Jan-15
Kelly,

Steering is also holding a line or not turning, so possible perhaps. As far as lift, well I agree with you.

25-Jan-15
Any broadhead can certainly provide lift. Steering is not desirable and shouldn't happen. If there is steering, there has to be a means of correcting the steering. level is only relative to the ground. lift can occur in any direction...think of an airplanes propeller, it works by creating lift.

25-Jan-15
I love threads like these!

People piss and moan when I post about Rage and say they are weak and dont penetrate, but when presented with a clearly stronger and better penetrating head than their own they make excuses to not change.

Ill stick with Rage for the 2" cut and my 500 grain arrows provide enough weight for good penetration.

Why stick with a small 3 blade or 2 blade double bevel? Is it because they are weaker and dont penetrate as well?

Enjoy your crow...

25-Jan-15
BB a propeller does not provide lift. It provides forward thrust. The wings of airplane prove lift.

Just like a spoiler on the back of a car. The car engine provides forward thrust while the rear spoiler due to wind traveling over it pushes down on the car to allow better traction.

I am sure we have a pilot or two on this site that can explain better than I can.

25-Jan-15
"BB a propeller does not provide lift. It provides forward thrust. The wings of airplane prove lift."

LOL, define "forward thrust" You do realize that a propeller is nothing more than a wing right?

What about a helicopter? That's known as a rotary wing aircraft rather than a fixed wing aircraft.

25-Jan-15

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Here's a buck that met it's demise to a helix. Double lung pass through. Didn't make it far and a steady blood trail. I feel like any other broadhead would have had similar results.

25-Jan-15

kellyharris's Link
Bb here directly off nasa website.

A hectic opted is flown by controlled thrust. Instead of forward its upward and sideways .

The main rotor blades are tilted in a variance of 360 degrees to a limited angle and the back smaller blades keep the helicopter from spinning out of control hence controlled thrust

25-Jan-15

kellyharris's Link
Fye on helicopter

25-Jan-15

kellyharris's Link
I will agree propellers in general are built to design lift but that is not what actually lifts a plan into the air.

A fighterjets wings have very little lift but are flown on controlled thrust and rutters which control air direction.

25-Jan-15
I haven't put my hands on a helix head yet. But by looking at the pictures of them it appears the cutting edges are opposite of each other. When the broad head is laying flat on a table for example. The right side cutting edge is up by the left side cutting edge is down.

I would think this would aid in rotation of the arrow going thru tissue and bone.

25-Jan-15
Yup. Ever try to cut salami with a single bevel kitchen knife? Its hard to cut straight down, it curves away from the bevel.

25-Jan-15
Kelly, Flight training 101 teaches you all about how lift is generated, I went through all that. With relationship to this thread, my point was lift can be generated in any direction, not just in a perfectly horizontal plane. a fixed wing, a helicopters rotary wing, an airplanes propeller all create lift.

Give this some thought, if you put an airplane into a banked turn, the wings are not still level with the ground, which direction are the wings generating the lift. Hint: directly straight away from the top surface of the wings, not directly away from the "perfectly level". If you fly a plane straight at the ground, which direction are the wings creating lift? Turn a wing on it's side and screw it to the front of an airplane and make it spin, which direction is lift being created?

Lots of things create lift, the sail on a sail boat creates forward lift. the keel on a sail boat can create lift. look at the definition of lift and you may understand what i'm saying.

25-Jan-15
From broadheads to planes and helicopters lol. Gotta love Bowsite. Just shoot the damn things and find out. Thinking about using them on my recurve.

25-Jan-15
a blackhawk is to a zwickey as a helix is to a chinook

25-Jan-15

kellyharris's Link
Keel on a boat provides stability not direction.

The sail catches wind and creates forward thrust not lift.

A rutter just like a rutter on a pairplane creates control over such forward thrust.

Regardless a broad head does not steer or or create lift unless it did not rotate. Hence as it spun 90 degrees or 180 degrees it would then veer to the left or right or down to the ground.

I believe the guy (Strickland) is a nice and good guy but I am calling BS on his interpitation on flight steering (basic physics) is way off!

It's 100% BS marketing in my opinion!!!!

25-Jan-15
The single bevel on opposing sides of the ferule create rotation, right bevel in conjunction with right helical or offset fletching aid in stabilizing the arrow. This is what he means by steering and this head does just that. No need to overthink it. This broadhead is not only accurate, it's also very tough.

25-Jan-15
I chalk that comment about "lift & steerage" to mis-speak. It doesn't affect my interest in this broadhead. I would be curious to here him explain that comment a little more.

25-Jan-15

bb's Link

25-Jan-15

bb's Link

25-Jan-15
The price I saw was $55 for 3, anyone have a better price?

25-Jan-15
I agree, with the idea that Steering is probably not what the person in the video really means, he probably really means stabilizing. Any broadhead can create lift, all it needs is air passing over the the blades. Lift from a propeller or sail creates the term forward thrust. If lift didn't exist, the thrust wouldn't exist.

25-Jan-15
Here's the lift formula and if I can remember my Engineering lessons well enough, the Broadhead doesn't produce enough lift to matter.

L = (1/2) d v2 s CL

25-Jan-15
Lol bb those are journalistic articles not definitions on physics????

The lift on the catamarans is lifting one side up because of force pushed against the sail going in the opposite direction. A keel stops a typical sailboat from flipping over.

That's the reasons catamarans tip over per say. If the sail created lift they wouldn't tip over. The pontoon that is in the air is just a counter balance from tipping. That's why the boats men sit on them, for counter balance basically the same way a keel in fact works or its function.

I'm not going to argue anymore one basic physics? I have provided actual definitions on lift, keel, etc. and you counter with a written article not scientific evidence.

What's next a bullet provides lift within its own design? For those that believe that are wrong also.

25-Jan-15
Props create "lift". exactly like a wing. Exactly. Simple physics.

Props don't create "thrust" like a jet engine does. They themselves can either pull the plane (or in some cases push it) the lift directly effects the prop itself just like a wing. All it needs is air to flow over it. A wing gets it's airflow from the motion of the plane, a prop creates it's own motion by spinning. That's all. They work by the same exact principal.

A single bevel blade will create a bit of spin, a bit. A small "lift" on one blade and the opposite lift on the other. Same as you get bit of spiral into the target with a single bevel, more pressure on one side of the blade than the other.

Spin however is not what stabilizes arrow flight. They don't spin fast enough to overcome much. Drag from fletching is by far the greatest effect. It's why target arrows don't even need to spin to be accurate.

"Spin" is important for broadheads because it equalizes what planing effect the broadhead might have. Instead of say planing right 3" at 20, 6" at 40, etc. on down range, if you spin the arrow it will go 1" right, 1" down, 1" left, 1" up, 1" right again, etc. on down range in a "cylinder" of flight rather than continuing to plane the same direction on downrange.

Their sales pitch is technically true. Their blades do create a bit of opposing lift which create a bit of spin or rotation. Exactly how fletching spins a shaft or the way a wing creates lift, high pressure on one side and lower on the other. But in this case a much smaller scale. But in reality I don't think that gives any noticeable or measurable advantage to the head.

The tiny bit of extra spin a single bevel may impart would be the very last reason to shoot one. Nor penetration, the rotation in media means it has to cut more material in the same distance. It would hinder penetration if anything. The edge design itself has a tendency to roll in theory as it is unsupported on one side. The only real benefit I can see is an advantage in breaking bone rather than trying to force it's way through. That was the reason they interest me. And still do to some degree.

25-Jan-15

bb's Link
Here's one more for you, maybe this will help a little. It's difficult for me to argue the basics of aerodynamics with someone who has absolutely no understanding. The basic premise of the articles are proven and not theory.

"The lift on the catamarans is lifting one side up because of force pushed against the sail going in the opposite direction. A keel stops a typical sailboat from flipping over."

Kelly, if you are sailing into the wind, with the wind coming from 10* over your bow, how does the boat generate forward propulsion if it were not creating lift?

Kelly, first of all, let me make sure you understand, this is not about a particular hull style. This is about aerodynamics. This is an effort to show you that whether you use a propeller, a rotor, a fixed wing or a sail to achieve propulsion, the force that's in play is all the same, it's lift.

25-Jan-15
Kellyharris....to call BS on Tim and his product is downright insulting. I'll assume you don't know the man. So he hasn't lied a day in his life, has been in the industry more than you'll ever be, and does not need to stretch the truth or make things up to sell a product. You've taken his terminology and completely skewed it in your own mind then calls BS. Since I'm in debates on other sites and not sure if my mental capacity can take another forum argument I'll just post the photos here that the OP addressed about. BUT if you do not understand how something works...that doesn't make the product BS it means you need to read up on said product.

25-Jan-15

Sethro02's embedded Photo
Sorry trying to learn new site and how to post pics

25-Jan-15

25-Jan-15

Helix 1 1/8"

25-Jan-15

Vpa 1 1/8

25-Jan-15

Aftermath

25-Jan-15
Yep, everyone should have 100% confidence in their "personal" broad head. It is interesting to see how many guys switch heads quite often. I've been llucky in that I've only used 3 different heads in the last 30 years. Good luck in finding the right one!!

25-Jan-15
Seth I think it is a reasonable question about how the broadhead could create "lift & steerage". Not something usually attributed to broadhead properties.

25-Jan-15
So the point of this test was to prove a certain person wrong on another site who has since apologized. Betting that a double bevel (Vpa penetrator) in particular, could do as good or out penetrate a helix single bevel...so I took the challenge. This isn't the first or last time testing the helix and other single bevels. So the setup was a deadeye set at 65# the ibo is 343 The first shot in the middle of the bone was with... Helix 100 grain Axis 340 spine Total weight 423

Vpa 150 penetrator Axis 340 Total weight 473

Then the upper knuckle or thicker part I upped the weight... Helix 100 grain with a brass hit insert in a 300 spine axis total weight 530 ish

Vpa 150 grain 300 spine axis with standard insert total weight 530 ish

The reason for the 100 grain helix is because it's cutting diameter is the same as a Vpa penetrator. If I would have used a 150 helix then the test wouldn't be fair due to the wayyyy bigger cutting diameter.

25-Jan-15
No proof whatsoever that a 4 blade leaves a better Bloodtrail. It's not just rotating through bone, single bevels rotate through vitals leaving a lot of interal damage. They rotate on any impact which is what they are designed to do... I'm sure your slick tricks do fine for you but a 2 blade single bevel broadhead is the best penetrator when all else is equal... The info is out there

25-Jan-15
Would love to see your proof on better bloodtrails... Just because it has more blades doesn't mean better bloodtrails.

25-Jan-15
So Seth how do these Broadheads provide steering?

How do they provide lift?

Looks like 2 different leg bones? Perhaps shoot it thru something with exact amount of density?

Also how well do they perform on a spin test using a arrow spinner?

Is that a small screw which holds it all together? If so the the head of the screw is going to weigh more than the end where the threads start correct? Not sure but are the heads designed to offset that weight?

Once again lift is created by airflow going over a planes wing. By a flat surface on the bottom and the top curved. Creating the wind ok actually air pressure to move upward over the wing which pulls the wing upward.

for a Broadheads to have lift would need to be built like a planes wing, yes one sided bevel equally on each side would create spin to a small portion but not lift.

25-Jan-15
Of course they are two different leg bones and of you want to get picky the one the helix was shot into had a thicker knuckle, was also taller and 1/4" total thicker in the middle. You can buy 20 of them and they will all be very similar. And like I said this wasn't the first time I've done this and it's ALWAYS the same outcome.

25-Jan-15

kellyharris's Link
Bb this video explained the difference of lift from a wing vs. a propeller.

Please watch full video

25-Jan-15

kellyharris's Link
Also BB a sailboat does not sail directly forward into a headwind they do that diagonally.

25-Jan-15
Kellyharris is correct. A cross section of a planes wing will show a flat bottom and a curved or convex top. Since it takes longer for the air to go over the top than the bottom it creates a lifting effect.

A section of anything that has flat sides equal to each other will not create lift unless forced into an angle.

Question: Why would one want a broadhead to provide lift? How would it affect FOC and would it provide consistent lift/trajectory throughout the shooting distance as the speed decreases?

25-Jan-15
KS you got that wrong. The air flows faster over the top of the wing because its curved. That causes lift (faster = less pressure).

25-Jan-15
Where is your proof it leaves better bloodtrails??? The only proof of things contributing to bloodtrails is shot placement and if their is an exit hole...everything else is speculation and opinions. A rotating 1 1/4" single bevel 2 blade can cause just as much internal damage than say a 1" diameter 4 blade. Once again the quantity of blades leading to better bloodtrails is an opinion and has not been proven at all by anyone .

25-Jan-15
KS you got that wrong. The air flows faster over the top of the wing because its curved. That causes lift (faster = less pressure).

I thought that since it takes longer, or it has more distance of travel, it would translate or be assumed to be faster...call it what you want.

25-Jan-15
Oh God, sethro find this site...I hope your boyfriend stays away.

25-Jan-15

bb's Link
Kelly, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with that you tube video, but you made my point for me.

"Kellyharris is correct. A cross section of a planes wing will show a flat bottom and a curved or convex top. Since it takes longer for the air to go over the top than the bottom it creates a lifting effect."

Except for the wings that are not shaped like that. Such as a symmetrical wing that aerobatic planes use.

I couldn't find a photo of what I'm looking for but this You tube video shows a Christen Eagle, which is a plane that I have a lot of time in. You can see in some of the angles that they show that the wing is the same shape on top as on bottom. Like I said, you can create lift with anything, it just has to have the right angle of attack. stick your arm out the window of your car while you are traveling, parallel to the ground with palm down pitch you hand up, your arm goes up, that's lift, point your arm at the ground, pitch your hand slightly either away from the car or toward the car you arm will move depending on which way you pitch your hand, that's also lift.

25-Jan-15
"Also BB a sailboat does not sail directly forward into a headwind they do that diagonally." I'm aware of that, that's why I said coming over the bow at a 10* angle. They most certainly will and do sail in that scenario, That's why this rigid wing is so desired with the racing community, because it will allow them to sail closer to the wind than the fabric sails, typically the fabric sails, they will have to fall off the wind about 20*.

25-Jan-15
Crankn101 only posting pics here because the OP asked, then I'll be gone.

Kellyharris, Tim will be texting me his clarification on lift and steerage. I could give you my interpretation but I'd rather you hear from Tim himself.

25-Jan-15
Sounds like marketing bull crap to me but the head still looks awesome and would be lethal without lift or steerage

25-Jan-15
Just kidding sethro.

25-Jan-15
Good grief. The video above in fact proves that the prop is a wing, it states so. The "thrust" (incorrect terminology) is the prop pulling the plane. The wing "lift" is in front of the prop same as it is on the top of a wing. Pitch of the prop has to do mostly with the speed of the plane, how the prop "sees" the apparent air.

The prop and the wing and the copter blade all work on exactly the same principal within the same physics. The prop IS a wing. That is a fact. It is the air moving over a "wing" that causes lift. That lift can either lift a plane upward or pull a prop (with the plane attached) forward. Same thing. It just that on a prop you have to physically move the prop through the air. Spin it.

That is indisputable. It's physics 101. It's what you are taught when you study to become a pilot. It's what you study when you get into designing and building planes as well. I've been studying kit planes for the last 40 years. It's cool stuff, someday....well, you never know.

Again, in theory the single bevel will impart some spin on the arrow. A little. Each blade creates some "lift" in opposite directions. Exactly how helical or offset fletching does. At worst it's not fighting the rotation as a double bevel would with the apparent wind, the wind the broadhead "sees". And again... that effect is likely so small it you be hard to measure the difference in real world testing.

I know for a fact the head rotates into a foam target where the double bevels do not, they pull straight back out in comparison. You have to "unscrew" single bevels when pulling them out. I would assume they did the same in flesh.

I not sure what the advantage to that would be just as I'm not sure the advantage of multiple blades cutting the same material would be. It would be hard to prove one or the other would kill anything any faster, much less deader. 4 animals with the Helix and the longest recovery was maybe 60-70 yards. And that was only one, the rest far shorter, in sight. But pretty much everything does with any sharp broadhead. I shoot to the "V" from ground level. Thus my interest in performance on bone.

For every advantage a design gives, that advantage comes with a trade off somewhere else. All of them, every single one. It's why the search goes on.....

25-Jan-15
TD gets it

Their is a provisional patent on the helix for this very reason. A double bevel spins the way the fletchings want it to, at impact at stops and does NOT rotate in the target the bevels are "fighting " each other. The helix will aid the fletchings in making it spin whichever bevel and whichever way you fletched ....upon impact just like other single bevels they continue to rotate , this is fact , they can't not rotate or also can't rotate opposite the bevel. The medium it hits causes it to rotate, this is also fact. Not just internet guys making stuff up.

25-Jan-15
Sethro, good post with the test, Im a believer. Helix for the recurve it is. Hell maybe even the compound. Wish they were a tad cheaper but looks quality? Any damage at all through that bone?

25-Jan-15
BB if wings are equal and I mean completely equal on top and bottom then the Rudder or movable parts of a wing control the lift by controlling wind from forward thrust.

Just like a fighter jet.

25-Jan-15
No damage at all...spins true. About price. American made with the best materials, grinding and machining on this broadhead takes time, time equals money.

25-Jan-15
If that 'marketing' BS works then I really got some good shit to sell!

My IQ dropped 30 points just listening to that tool for three minutes!

It looks like a decent head but, lift!..and steering!?..that deserves a big WTF?..over!

25-Jan-15
Kelly, I have no idea what you just said. But please do yourself a favor and back out of this one you are in over your head, this stuff isn't even debatable.

Look deeper than the quick google search you did on line for answers, the websites you found with a quick search aren't giving you much info, they are providing basic info simplified.

25-Jan-15
Transmit don't like it then move on...calling the guy a tool? This site is a bad as the other ones with people like you with USELESS posts

25-Jan-15
Once again if you don't know how something works it doesn't mean it's bs it means your ignorant on the topic or you don't understand. 99% of people on this thread hasn't even shot them, yet thank they know if they are good or bad, typical. The whole fighter jet and propeller discussion is pretty funny though

25-Jan-15
Ok everyone apparently I spelled rudder and rutter during this text.

I've been told (PM) that someone didn't want to publicly embarrass me for the mispelling.

Well I would like to apologize to everyone for any mispelling during this thread???

WTF?????????

These are the same BS reasons I have been off Facebook for well over a month now!

25-Jan-15
For a minute I thought I had logged onto Archery Talk.

26-Jan-15
If broadheads don't steer an arrow, why is it more difficult to shoot large fixed blades compared to shooting mechanicals?

26-Jan-15
Didn't have time to read all the thread, but I did buy a half dozen of the 125 gr. heads a while back. The problem I had was that about every 4th or 5th shot into my target I threw a curve ball. They're also a little bit hard on targets. Never had the confidence to hunt with them.

26-Jan-15
From what I have read, what I take from this discussion is - if you don't agree with some dude who I've never seen post on this site before you're ignorant on the topic or you don't understand. And buy Helix.

I do believe a BH can create life and steer an arrow, but if I manufactured a BH that had a strong predilection to do so, it would be my best kept secret.

26-Jan-15
heheheh...

They all "steer" to some degree, every single FBBH. Even most mechs to some degree. It's the reason FBBH benefit from spinning via helical, or offset or designs such as quickspins. To equalize the planing effect... or "steering".

I don't recall "steering" if that was what was claimed in sales. I haven't read up on them in quite some time. If your company has a sales dept you likely know how all that works.

WRT to "lift" I would say is how they are are trying to explain to the casual observer that is exactly what happens with each individual blade in a single bevel.... on paper at least. The physics behind the claim is exactly how fletching imparts rotation on an arrow shaft. It would be proven in a wind tunnel test.

Again, real life... the amount.... very debatable.

The physics behind the claim... no.

Killed everything I shot with them though. On to checking out another head.... the search continues... may be back, never know...

26-Jan-15

26-Jan-15
the fact that this broadhead can defy gravity (lift) is defying belief.

26-Jan-15
Wood... You should be able to shoot any broadhead, if you are having "flyers" chances are your arrow / bh combo does not spin true. Mark the arrow and see if it's the same one.

Matt... Don't worry this "dude" isn't here long. Posted pics because I was asked too. Never said buy them. You can if you want or not. It's not about agreeing with me it's about understanding and agreeing with facts about how certain broadheads work before nonsense is spouted off. This one in particular , single bevels have been around long before we were here. This is not "new" technology.

26-Jan-15
I don't really care about lift! The broad head needs to shoot just like my field points. If you are buying this "lift" crap, then I have some ocean front property in AZ to sell you.

26-Jan-15
Why would you even want lift? You want predictable parabolic drop, consistent over time and distance.

26-Jan-15
Who cares what some company puts down on paper for advertising. I sure as heck do not. I hardly ever read what a company has to say about its product. I find the info on products from fellow bowsiters to be way more valuable when I am deciding to purchase something.

As far as Seth goes. He seems to be a good guy from what I have seen on AT. He does a lot of testing of different broadheads. His threads always appear to be informative over there.

26-Jan-15
+1 Full Draw

26-Jan-15
Can't believe no one has brought Mr. Bernouli into the mix yet (well by name anyway).... :)

But I think even he would agree that broadheads are best described with the terms stability,durability and penetration.

The more your broadhead is affecting flight, using whatever term you choose, the bigger your problem with getting good flight.

Some guy figured out along time ago that if you spin an arrow you stabilize it.....

Stabilizing it to offset the effect the front end is having on flight.

26-Jan-15
I asked sethro if I could copy his pictures here about the bone splitting ability of this head. He said yes but also mentioned that he was planning on registering anyways, so I let him post his photos.

Again, I think this discussion about lift & steering is distracting about the other strong points this head appears to have. I look forward to trying them out myself.

26-Jan-15
Yea my mine goal in doing this test is to show how single bevels work. The reason I shot the other was for a somewhat friendly bet.... That I won ( no money yet) some still thought they cannot split bone but they do... And when all else is equal they have the best penetrating potential over other types of heads. I tested the helix because I personally like it and it performs flawlessly from recurve to compound to xbow

26-Jan-15
What's AT?

Beat you to it, Charlie. :)

26-Jan-15
Sethro, always enjoyed the AT broadhead reviews as well.

26-Jan-15
Sethro, Thanks for coming on and sharing your results...It is much appreciated!

Maybe the answer is embedded in this thread somewhere that I didn't see.....How do they shoot? Accurate? Consistent? Performance in a cross wind?

If we can't hit our intended target, nothing else matters.

Mark

26-Jan-15
I was also surprised that nobody mentioned Bernoulli's Principle in all this discussion of lift. Although the video (which did a good job of proving bb's point) referred to it.

I'm a pilot and in addition to the basic "what makes a plane fly" training I also had my share of physics back in the day.

Propellers, rotors and wings all create lift based on the same principle and that is Bernoulli's Principle. The lift created by the propeller results in the thrust necessary to overcome drag and create relative wind, but it is still lift.

Air that hits the front of a moving wing does not take longer to pass over the top of the wing. To the contrary, air that goes over the top of the wing and the back of the wing arrive at the back of the wing at the same time and therefore the air moving over the top travels faster which results in a decrease in pressure.

Oh and BTW kelly, do you know why a spoiler is called a spoiler? Not because it pushes the car down but because it "spoils" lift. Some airplanes also have spoilers that are deployed to spoil lift.

This may be a good broadhead but I agree that Mr. Strickland chose a poor choice of terminology.

26-Jan-15

bb's Link
For those that care, The link is one of many discussions regarding Bernoulli's Principle.

I have edited this, because I forgot to add to this pos,t that I learned the same thing as Cheesehead Mike, in my flight training. However there were several things regarding how or why airplanes fly that never made sense to me.

It seems that Bernoulli's is one of the factors in supporting lift but not the only factor.

This makes sense to me because according to Bernoulli, there is no reason a symmetrical wing should fly.

Also in the previous link I posted where that shows the aerobatic airplane, there is a segment where the plane is making a low pass along the runway doing a "knife edge maneuver" Where plane is rotated so the wings are vertical to the ground.

Remember, the wings create lift in any orientation, they don't know how they are oriented to the ground. They just know how the relative wind is traveling over the surface and create lift away from the upper part of the wing. In other words if the plane is rotated so the wings are 45* from the flat ground, the lift is created 45* away from the flat ground etc. In this aerobatic maneuver, the wings aren't creating lift in a manner that will keep the plane airborne, it is relying on lift generated by the fuselage and rudder, obviously not an efficient way to generate lift but it works enough to keep the plane from falling out of the sky. If Bernoulli's principle were the sole reason for lift, the plane would fall out of the sky.

This is why broad heads and even bare arrow shafts can create lift, even though they don't possess the traditional airfoil configuration. In common archery nomenclature, people talk about "planing" Planing is nothing more than the arrows reaction to all or part of it creating lift.

26-Jan-15

bb's Link
Here is another very dry discussion I found, should anyone be interested. Good information here but the camera did not follow the illustrations the professor was making so it's a bit of a PIA to follow but if you listen closely you can follow his line of reasoning

26-Jan-15
"Planing is nothing more than the arrows reaction to all or part of it creating lift."

Makes sense. Very interesting and thanks for the explanation bb. Ironically, have always been interested in flight and its principles, enjoyed physics (have had therapy since then...;)

I think this stuff is interesting regardless if it applies to broadheads or not I think.

26-Jan-15
+ 1 Hawkeye

26-Jan-15
Hmmm, maybe I'll throw some vg's on my broadheads and see if I can get em to perform better in slow flight....

oops wrong site. :)

anyway that looks like a head I would like to do some testing with myself, thanks SCP

26-Jan-15
All this and all i said was no way. I mean it is not a new slick trick. 6-gold

26-Jan-15
I was skeptical of all of the claims concerning single bevels as I shot a buff in Australia and then did some testing and split bone with a double bevel head Steelforce 210 dangerous game head...and then Pat did it on his cape buff hunt [the feature is here on the site] it didn't seem single bevel did anything special.

Seeing this test by Sethro side by side, it sure appears that that Helix single bevel is the real deal.

26-Jan-15
Sethro, In my testing, the same arrow would fly straight one time or 2 or 3 times and then look like a Pedro Martinez slider/curve the next time. Maybe my bow wasn't perfectly tuned, or maybe my form/execution wasn't perfect, but other broadheads have been much more forgiving/consistent for me. I have no doubt these heads would be devastating on impact but I just don't think any unvented head with wings that wide will be forgiving on a less than perfect shot out of a high speed bow.

27-Jan-15
I only had the three pack. I never had any flight issues.

If you look at them... their design... they are vented. They are just "vented" on the outside rather than from the inside. Total surface area is likely comparable to many "vented" heads.

Less than perfect hits are not all the same.

If the less than perfect hit is in gut I would say a two inch mech would be better than any 1 1/8" two blade, but then you pretty much have to back off the "V".

Performance with much bone is on the other end of lists of strong points of mechs.

If less than perfect is forward in some heavier bone... the leg on a doe I hit on exit... it blew right through it. She went nowhere. But again... I think there are a few that might have done that as well. Wasn't a demanding test. But flying colors FWIW.

And they are still a PITA to resharpen.

27-Jan-15
I am interested in learning how consistent they are at distances in the neighborhood of 50 yards.

27-Jan-15
I wake up one day and read a sales pitch...nothing new, but this?

" The only proof of things contributing to bloodtrails is shot placement and if their is an exit hole...everything else is speculation and opinions."

You're not helping this startup company's cause

27-Jan-15
Wood if the same arrow flys good sometime and not the next time then something is off. I do agree that the larger the surface area the more consistant you need to be on form but for example the 100 grain helix surface area is similar to a lot of broadheads in the market, it's not bigger than very many. Did you spin check that particular arrow/bh combo?

27-Jan-15
Genesis- Read. http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Ashby-Broadhead-Performance-W15.aspx

If you don't think shot placement is number one for Bloodtrail then not sure what to tell ya. Your in a small small group that wouldn't agree. That's general knowledge. Also I'm just a fan of the head because of it's performance furthermore "startup" company? They have been on the market since 2007 sooooo maybe do a little research first?

27-Jan-15
If you have proof that shot placement and exit hole isn't a main factor in bloodtrails id love to read up on that. I'll wait patiently

27-Jan-15
Don't build a strawman fella......stand by your quote kind sir or edit it please.

"THE ONLY PROOF OF THINGS CONTRIBUTING TO BLOODTRAILS...."

Now you say...."a main factor" which is much different and something that a sane person can digest

Thanks for the edit,I feel better that your now telling me it's not raining

P.S I read Ashby years ago

27-Jan-15
Sethro2,

Genesis has already put broadheads through twice as many live animals as you will in your lifetime. You are not speaking to a 20 year old kid on AT. I am pretty sure he is not disagreeing with shot placement being of utmost importance just that it is the "only proof" with regard to blood loss.

Edit: Looks like I was correct in my assumption and he was much quicker posting than I. :)

27-Jan-15
Good shot placement and 2 holes doesn't mean you will get a great blood trail every time...the key to good trails every time is this combination PLUS a broadhead design. I've seen 2 blades not get any blood. I've seen the hide slip over the hole made by small heads and very little blood was left behind. What it takes is a multi blade head that is large...1 1/4 minimum.

Large heads reduce the amount of tracking. The last 13 I shot with Simmons...I tracked 3 if them. The rest I heard fall or saw fall. 3 out of the 13 were hit in the lungs or heart.

27-Jan-15
Ha! I wish I was a 20 yo on AT.I would hope I would grow wiser and move to Bowsite but I'd chance it.

27-Jan-15
LOL!

27-Jan-15
"It is interesting to see how many guys switch heads quite often. I've been llucky in that I've only used 3 different heads in the last 30 years. Good luck in finding the right one!!"

You basically can get an idea what most fixed heads will do by trying 3 heads. A Muzzy will pretty much cover many other heads like the old savora, satalites, the smaller Rocky Mountains etc. Snuffers will cover montec and vpa. Zawikee will cover many of the trad style heads. After that you would only need to sample some mechanical heads and the stand alone heads like Simmons.

I would say in 2 seasons if shooting several animals and maybe a hog hunt or two and you could try most all types of heads and be really close to finding that perfect head.

27-Jan-15
I'm not twenty but thanks... I could care less how many animals you have shot. Their is no proof that multiple blade broadheads give better bloodtrails then 2 blade and vice versa...I would love to see you prove it. I've had great blood trails with big heads and little broadheads...I also never said even with good shot placement and an exit hole that you'll have a good Bloodtrail, things happen that can't be explained in the field. Look at the guys quote up above mine somewhere "I'm sticking with my slick tricks or muzzy because they leave better bloodtrails" that's totally opinionated. I've killed with muzzy and slick tricks both...I've had good and not so good bloodtrails , ya know why? Shot placement. For as old and wise as you guys think you are it's not really convincing to me that you know what your talking about. So please enlighten my "young" mind on why shot placement and and having an exit hole isn't importantt. I also never said "only proof to blood loss" their is no proof you can claim any broadhead makes a better Bloodtrail, too many variables too come up with that claim, so I every time I here things like " my broadhead leaves the best Bloodtrail over other heads" is just his opinion and findings, the next guy could have the opposite findings.

27-Jan-15
Start a new thread on shot placement if that's what you want to talk about. All these forums are the same. Clutter up a good thread then talk about how many animals you've killed so you must be a pro. AT bowsite , all pretty similar. Their are opinions and their facts. People seem to get those mixed up in bowhunting forums

27-Jan-15
"Their are opinions and their facts. People seem to get those mixed up in bowhunting forums"

...as well as the words there, their, and they're. ;-)

27-Jan-15
"Their are opinions and their facts" People seem to get those mixed up in bowhunting forums.

What a world it would be if it only happened on forums......... :)

27-Jan-15
Oh my bad" there are facts!" That better? Thanks for contributing

27-Jan-15
You're getting low on hay.....just sayin'

27-Jan-15
I guess you have issues with reading comprehension. I never said you were 20...I said, Genesis is not. I also...referred to Genesis shooting twice as many animals already as you have in your life. I also only quoted your "only proof" and added blood loss for short. It was in your post before you edit and it was what drew his response. I think Genesis has your actual quote in his above post. Also....you definitely have me beat on shooting cow bones and gelatin.

27-Jan-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Here....you can use this for a comeback next time.

27-Jan-15
Midwest my two problem words are then and than lol, cant seem to figure out the right one. Sethro, IMO I think all heads can leave great blood trails when a good hit is made. Im far more interested in penetration and durability whether its a big or small head. Keep up the tests I enjoy seeing them.

27-Jan-15
I didn't edit any of my posts. I posted again saying contributing if that is what you are meaning.I also wasn't talking about you calling me twenty, I know who said it. Genesis responses are typical of people who can't come up with an actual discussion but to just say I'm low on hay...spare me. Until you find something somewhere to prove to me and thousands of others that a 3 blade leaves a better trail than a 4 blade or a 2 blade better than a 3 blade or any comparison given equal or close to equal diameter guaranteed then please let us know.

27-Jan-15
Spike78 I completely agree

27-Jan-15
I might consider this head if it had "breakaway" bleeders. Next level.

27-Jan-15
I love my Slick Tricks but I am not sure if they would have held up as good on that leg bone as the Helix did? The VPA looked bent and its a strong head and I think thats what makes the difference between one head and another. Sethro, did you do the same test with a slick trick in the past? Curious on results?

27-Jan-15
Okay so (since Hey gets under your skin),when I was 20 I thought that a single bevel blade (all other parameters the same) would split bone better than any other design.I still think that today.

I now know that a company has that very design available for sale,thanks for the heads up of this availability and the time it took to reaffirm this attribute.

I would not want to depend on this head to induce peritonitis in case of errancy like other designs and for that reason,I'm out.....

27-Jan-15

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Got these in the mail today. 125 grain Deep 6. Haven't shot yet but if I don't hunt with them, I can screw them to the end of a ball bat and chop wood;)

They are the thickest and toughest "looking" broadhead I have held. Will be hard pressed to get me away from my tricks for whiteys but I could see this head being a beast on elk or bison etc.

Plus for Gods sake..they look cool. Ha ha. Looking forward to testing them on my FMJs. Tis the season for tinkering....

27-Jan-15

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo

27-Jan-15
Let us know how they fly, Eyad.

27-Jan-15
Will do Nick. Bow is tuned well with bareshafts and fletch to same POI at 20 so hopefully they will fly well. I'll spin check arrows and shoot some today or tomorrow. Will update thread as soon as I shoot them.

27-Jan-15
Ha ha ha ha ha ha. :)

27-Jan-15
I still wouldnt want a leaf spring going through my lungs at 300fps. Looks durable to me.

27-Jan-15
Eyad, run home right after work, use the headlights on your truck and get that baby shot out to 50 yds!

Inquiring minds want to know!

Mark

27-Jan-15
I say you got to be really careful not to fall prey to these staged test. Bones held rigid are a terrable way to test heads. In the real world a head will have to pass through hide and sinew before reaching bone, and the bone it reaches will not be static. More than likely the animal will be either dropping and wheeling away, and even if not the bone...let's say the shoulder bone or upper leg bone will be cushioned against the rib cage. In all likelihood the bone contacted will give at least 2 inches at impact. This will rob more that half the energy.

When you consider a head has to do more than just penetrate bone, and poor hits are possible, heads need to have the size for hits too far back and durability for the occasional shoulder blade.

27-Jan-15
Good points TBM and I do take all tests with a grain of salt, but there are only so many ways to test things as well.

1 1/4" is solid hole and my problem on lost animals has usually been poor penetration on poor shots (shoulder, brisket etc). I may not use these but enjoy testing new products. It not only is fun, but I feel I learn something new each time, which can only help.

27-Jan-15
Those are some expensive heads to just test out. TBM- You have somewhat of a point except for the test did show penetration on a bone along with the single bevel splitting it. It also showed to be more durable then the other head tested. Id like to see more tests from that head and another from vpa. Im liking both.

27-Jan-15
And it was not mentioned in this thread, but sethro has shot these heads through leg bones several times with the same result. This is just his most recent test. The durability and penatration is repeatable.

27-Jan-15
"I may not use these but enjoy testing new products. It not only is fun, but I feel I learn something new each time, which can only help."

The study and time spent in research can be illuminating at times. Every little piece and part helps with the puzzle, if nothing else you know which pieces DON'T fit in some places.... sometimes it even helps in unrelated things.

In fact when I want Coach to leave me alone I often go into a little one man broadhead debate......works every time....

27-Jan-15
Where is Serbian Shark when a thread starts getting this good???

28-Jan-15
He needs to come out with a practice tip that generates the same amount of lift so you dont have to change the sights when switching from target points to broadheads.

29-Jan-15
I had a chance to shoot the 125 grain D6 at 20 yards indoors, but not outside yet. We are expecting baby #2 any day so my time is limited :)

First, I am most impressed at the build of this head. It is a beast and would have no issue with shooting it at the biggest game on four legs. One pain is pulling from my Rinehart as it does indeed “twist” into the target. A great benefit on game but targets need to take that into account. I eventually found a soft spot and was able to unscrew it after each shot and then pull the arrow out. A pain but was effective and worked the best without tearing my target up.

At 20 yards it flew on par with my field tips, planning once when I pulled a shot by 4”. I watched the flight and with 2” vanetecs at 1 degree helical it shot great.

The blades are still sharp and I can’t imagine a better penetrating head. Looking at it, and comparing it to my exodus and slick tricks, it does have a much larger surface area, and thus, I would "assume"it would be more prone to errors in form, tune and at long distance.

This again is an assumption. What I also assume is that it will out penetrate both heads no questions asked. One has to ask how much penetration you need on the game you hunt etc., but if there is any question that you have low # or penetration concerns, would be at the top of my list.

Pros: Sharp, thick blades, feel and act like they have great construction and would have ZERO question on durability shooting into any animal.

Cons: Hard to pull from target and larger surface area so “maybe” not as accurate at long range or with less than perfect form/tune.

Like anything in archery …you can’t have it all but if I was hunting bison or elk again soon, Id seriously consider these heads. Will test outside in the weeks to come.

29-Jan-15
Hawkeye, Thanks for the great unbiased and matter of fact review.

29-Jan-15
I would think the twisting out of target is a pro as it shows it really does twist as a single bevel is advertised to do.

29-Jan-15
They all twist. I use left wing fletch and the he double bevel Simmons twisted all day he way through the deer. I twisted 1/4 of a turn between entering the flesh on the outer ribcage to exiting on the inside. By the time it reached the other ribcage it had twisted a half turn more...possibly a full turn.

29-Jan-15
Hey TBM

Prove it.

29-Jan-15
TBM, aaaaaah nope.

• Sitka Gear