Jim in PA 26-Jan-15
GhostBird 26-Jan-15
Eddie Bauer 29-Jan-15
mtoomey 29-Jan-15
Eddie Bauer 29-Jan-15
LKH 29-Jan-15
shortstop 30-Jan-15
25-Jan-15
I will be bear hunting in Manitoba the last week of May. My son will fly to Winnipeg on May 30th where I will pick him up then return to camp and he will hunt the following week He is 16 with his own passport. Is there any thing I need to know about him flying into Canada as a minor?

25-Jan-15
I would call US and Canadian Immigration/customs. Check it out from them directly. I've heard about a few hassles both in and out of Canada with minors. None of this has been flying but driving across.

25-Jan-15
Just maker sure he does not have a DUI or domestic abuse on his record and you're fine.

25-Jan-15
Thanks guys, Bou as always you are good for a chuckle.

25-Jan-15
mtoomey X2.

We drove to Ontario on a fishing trip last year with my 16 yr old nephew under my Dad's supervision. He had a passport but we had some issues at the border because we didn't have anything in writing from his mother or father giving their permission.

They let us go ahead but said they could have denied him entry.

Always better safe than sorry.

26-Jan-15
What T-Roy said. Friend with a younger daughter( 12-13 at the time) had a nightmare. They could not reach his wife, Childs mother because she was already in camp with no phone access. Believe it was a 6-8 hour ordeal. Common sense says they could talk to a 16 year old and get the straight story but let's not forget who we are dealing with. Then again they have a job to do and you hear about child abduction by a parent pretty often.

26-Jan-15
I would write a notarized letter, signed by both parents if possible, that states their approval for the travel on the specific dates. Have the young man carry the letter with him along with his passport.

29-Jan-15
Thanks again guys for the info. Talked with immigration this morning and they strongly suggested a notarized letter with both parents signature along with his passport. The letter is not required to enter Canada but could help smooth the way if questions arise.

29-Jan-15
Two other thoughts have come to mind...the first is a question, the other is a bit of advice.

1. I assume he is hunting. How is his weapon getting into Canada? Bows and guns are different.

2. Some of the hassles I've heard of could have been much less of a problem had the minor simply been polite, non-anxious, and answered questions with yes, sir/ma'am, no sir/ma'am. And if the question required more of an explanation to simply do so. If the minor got defensive so did the officer.

have a great hunt!

29-Jan-15
He is bow hunting. His bow will go with me when I drive up the week before for my hunt.He is a very polite boy, he knows to stay calm cool and collected with everyone especially law enforcement. Thanks again to everyone for the input.

29-Jan-15
Not an entry issue, but be sure you have a medical power of attorney for him. That way you won't need it.

30-Jan-15
Don't think there's a problem getting into Canada. My concern could be getting stopped by the mounties for speeding or something. Then, with no parental permission slip, you could be in for a long discussion!

• Sitka Gear