Bowboy 27-Jan-15
sdantlers 27-Jan-15
DonVathome 28-Jan-15
CAS_HNTR 28-Jan-15
Brotsky 28-Jan-15
mtoomey 28-Jan-15
M.Pauls 28-Jan-15
27-Jan-15
I was checking the draw odds to get a ND bighorn tag. This is probably my only shot at ever hunting sheep. It was depressing. Last year 4 tags, 9,860 applicants. That's .0041% chance of drawing.

And yet when the applications come out, I will apply. I'm kind of a sucker that way. Uff DA!

27-Jan-15
They're gonna be a whole lot worse odds this year IF there is a season. Over half the sheep in some of the Northern herds have died. New survey in March will show dramatic decreases in numbers I believe. Southern herd appears to be doing "ok".

27-Jan-15
I don't know what it costs to apply but someone has to draw. Every year someone beats the odds somewhere.

27-Jan-15
I personally know three people that have drawn the tag (none of the three had a CLUE as to what the really just drew and killed) and one that has bought the auction tag. Like Jim says, someone has to draw and for a resident it costs $5 to apply. (up from $3 a couple years ago:)

27-Jan-15
Wow that's about $50K received in applications every year alone and that's not including non-residents (if they can apply) or auctions. I hope some of this money goes back to benefit the sheep (conservation, habitat, research, etc.).

I agree with the others, have to apply for the price. Cant win if you don't play.

27-Jan-15
At least you have an opportunity. I pretty much walked right in to a herd of sheep a few years back in ND, it was a pretty cool experience!

27-Jan-15
I'm in the same boat as you! In Nebraska, there is one tag allocated in the draw. It costs $25 to apply and there are typically 1,700 people that apply. That's a 0.00058% chance of drawing! Someone has to draw though, right? :)

27-Jan-15
Someone wins the powerball often enough too.

27-Jan-15
I know a few who drew. Not complaining too hard, it was just a stark observation. Like I said, I still put in. I've been fortunate enough to draw ND's other once-in-a-life-time tags with elk and moose.

I how G&F can get the die off under control.

27-Jan-15
I've heard rumors of no draw/season this year, but time will tell.

27-Jan-15
Taken from ND website

Who May Apply – North Dakota residents are eligible to apply for bighorn sheep, elk and moose licenses.

Nonresidents can apply for only a bighorn sheep license.

No one may apply for a species for which he/she received a lottery license in previous years. (Exception: certain preferential landowner licensees.)

27-Jan-15
I believe one of the draws can go to a NR in ND, $100 application fee. Of course the auction tag in both states can go anywhere. Sooo, theorhetically 2 out of 5 could go to NR in ND.

When you only have 4 draw tags (plus one auction tag) to begin with, I could see them going to residents only but ND allows one of the 4 to go to a NR. But again, probably all a moot point this year.

27-Jan-15
Put in,, Slim happens ! :)))

27-Jan-15
Be happy you get 4 tags! We only have 2 tags down here in the other Dakota. I believe $10 to apply starting this year. I have A LOT of points, maybe as many as I have fingers and toes and probably will still not draw in my lifetime. But, you no apply, you no draw!

NR's are off limits in SD during the normal draw. A NR can buy the one auction tag we offer however.

27-Jan-15
We also have an auction tag in NE. For $60,000-$80,000 it can be yours! No preference or bonus points here though.

27-Jan-15
I drew a first season S32 sheep tag in Colorado in my first year of eligility. Ridiculously poor odds....but slim happened.

27-Jan-15
Reflex, I believe this years bighorn auction tag went for $130,000 in Nebraska.

27-Jan-15
I always say if you don't apply you surely won't draw a tag. Remember someone has to draw!

27-Jan-15
I drew the South Dakota Bighorn Sheep tag in 2012 on my 13th year of applying. Every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut! Keep applying!

28-Jan-15
Maybe this will improve your outlook - math error your odds are actually 0.041% (10x better)!!!!

28-Jan-15
DonV's corrent......you're nearly a lock now! Haha!

At least you have an oportunity....as much as I love Ohio, I would love to be able to go after other species in my home state.

28-Jan-15

Brotsky's Link
Well, I did get an e-mail once saying a drew a tag. Probably as close as I'll ever get! Ha! Talk about a kick in the $#%*!

28-Jan-15
Oops on the math error! With all the zeros for in front of the decimal I got a bit cross-eyed. :)

28-Jan-15
Has anyone run the odds on just putting in the lotto once a year and buy all the hunts you want if you 'draw'??lol

• Sitka Gear