snapcrackpop 31-Jan-15
TurkeyBowMaster 31-Jan-15
Busta'Ribs 01-Feb-15
TurkeyBowMaster 01-Feb-15
Busta'Ribs 01-Feb-15
Fuzzy 02-Feb-15
tonyo6302 02-Feb-15
28-Jan-15
I'm falling short of some goals so far and time is running out. Back in September I had a deer tag along with elk and although deer wasnt the main goal it wouldn't have bothered me to get a fair size muley to go along with the elk.

Another goal I was pretty serious about was testing my 800+ grain fmj and Simmons on heavy bone and trying to draw a conclusion on whether or not that is the correct path for me to follow in the future. Got around 10 more days to get that done or it will have to wait another year.

Also wanted to kill 50 animals with one Simmons...got 2 so far.

The whole season has been sub par and I havnt advanced to a higher level. If I ain't moving forward I'm moving backwards so I need to tighten up!!!

28-Jan-15
tighten up or lighten up

moving, in any direction, is better than inability to do so

48 to go? you ever see an old fillet knife? that simmons will look like a field point by #12

Good Luck, gitterdid

28-Jan-15
Its down to 1.5" now...I don't think it was ever the 1 9/16 like advertised. I have some landsharks that are and they look a lot bigger.

28-Jan-15
The past four years I have been after one buck. Last year I passed on everything trying to get this buck. I saw him five times and even had him in bow range three of those. I drew my bow once and could have killed him had I not hesitated. Still wishing I had let it fly. I only put one doe in the freezer last year from another spot I hunted.

This year I have just had fun hunting. Shot six deer and put five in the freezer.

This year I challenge myself to see how many I could kill with the same VPA head. The first arrow I lost as the buck ran off with it and I couldn't find either. The next attempt is sitting at five as of now with the same head.

This week I have been back on the big buck or bust mode and this evening hunt he was at ten yard sniffing the ground I walked on getting to my tree stand. I stood perfectly still for 30 fr!^(k!n minutes waiting on him to make a move while it was getting dark. Well it got dark and it took him another 20 or so to move on. It gets dark at 5:30 and it was 7:00 when I came down to leave. The bigguns get under my skin in a good way. I don't know if it is considered a failure or just hunting? If I won every time I would just quit. "Not" is what keeps me going back for more. One day he will make the mistake. Lord knows I have made enough, now it's his turn.

28-Jan-15
Lucky for you it's a new year. Setting goals is fun and keeps me focused.

28-Jan-15
Nick, I don't know how everyone else counts it, but I go by a hunting season/license year, not a calander year when setting goals, so I still got a few days to make something happen. My turkey goal is 5 here at home ant it looks like it will be tough to accomplish that this season. Not many good hatches lately so old birds are on the menu. There will be a couple of 2 year olds around..always is but I expect a couple of limbhangers too.

29-Jan-15
u cry no money yet buy a deer tag ? You failed try a new sport !

29-Jan-15
I feel every year is a success regardless of what I put in the freezer. I'm still able to do what I love. I've been very fortunate to put a few deer in the freezer each year for quite awhile. No complaints there. Next on the list is for my daughter and I to do a diy elk hunt in the next few years.

29-Jan-15
Yeah, my bowhunting goal-

Have fun with some meat in the freezer

29-Jan-15
How did you intend to test your FMJ/Simmons on heavy bone?

29-Jan-15
Busta I was intending on shooting some small does at the angle where shooting in front of the shoulder is a bad idea and shooting behind it is bad also. I wanted to hit the tough part of the lower shoulder blade and see if I could get a pass through on the small deer and work up from there.

29-Jan-15
Wait, live does? You're going to take a crappy shot on purpose?

29-Jan-15
hope for a good outcome on taking a bad shot on purpose, on a live animal????? wtf!!

what's wrong with taking a high percentage shot with a reasonably weighted arrow. to boring for you!!!!

29-Jan-15
You guys are getting too excited. Shooting through the shoulder of a small doe is a sure thing, getting a complete pass thru is not.

29-Jan-15
Sho nuff Sureshot...I just performed what I'm talking about on a 700 pound elk...I just want to hit the deer in a little tougher spot at least he toughest angle. 800 grains of arrow pushing the best penetrating head made...it should be a breeze. I just don't want to try it on a 200 pound buck until I prove I can get a full pass on a doe.

29-Jan-15
TBM if you want a TOUGH bone breaking head, check out the Helix.

29-Jan-15
Friday, 9-19. "Today I put in a clinic of poor shooting. I just came apart. Everything I ever learned went in the garbage I I just started flinging arrows. One or two hit the bull and he looked hurt pretty bad but kept on going . Not much blood but a fair amount. Letting him lay for the nite. I hate too but he might be alive in the am."

once again, why not just practice on putting one where it needs to be.

it doesn't sound like you just "performed this on a 700 lb elk"!!!!!

29-Jan-15
The elk I killed was not quiet quartering but about half way between quartering and broadside. In front if the shoulder was not a good option so I chose to go tight behind it. There was a limb I had to clear and I didn't want to raise up for fear of spooking h so I aimed a little higher that I would have liked and that put my arrow through the blade. It went through without hesitation and exited the fourth rib from the back, and penetrated mid ways of the fketching.

I figured with that much penetration on that size animal it was time to try a shot I had avoided for years. I had formerly adopted the hamblaster for the quartering too shot but with the added penetration the Simmons gives and the FMJ Dangerous Game arrow, I figured it was time to try the shoulder blade area.

29-Jan-15
Thus the term Next Level is born!

29-Jan-15
TBM,

Analyze to see if you are setting realistic goals.

29-Jan-15
Should have tried your second or third shot theory on that bull. HUNT

30-Jan-15
one thing that has helped me meet hunting (and other life's goals) in the past, was to spend less time on Bowsite and more time doing what needed to be done...

31-Jan-15
You don't have an ethical dilemma "experimenting" on live, wild animals?

if you are a competent and accomplished bowhunter you should be able to consistently put the arrow in the right spot so why would you try to put it in the wrong spot, or even in a marginal spot on purpose?

There's a reason ethical, responsible bowhunters aim for the center of the lungs, because it provides the greatest margin for error while maintaining a quick, humane kill. A little left/right, a little high/low, the animal is still down within seconds. This is an imperfect sport, we strive for perfection but it's an impossible goal, sooner or later something happens and we eff it up. So we hedge our bets and aim for the center of the biggest lethal area. And we don't take marginal shots. Ever. Instead, we wait for a better opportunity out of respect for the animal and respect for the sport.

Trying to shoot an animal in the wrong spot as an experiment is wrong. Your trying to encourage yourself to take marginal shots on bigger animals by experimenting on smaller ones and working your way up, so to speak. Why not just be a patient and ethical hunter, wait for the right shot, and put the arrow in the right place? What's the worst that can happen? You don't fill your tag that day, so what? If filling your tag is the most important thing for you, put down your bow, pick up a rifle, and aim for the shoulder every time baby.

31-Jan-15
TBM, take your "experimental" shots on DEAD animals. See how that head works on a deer you have already killed, not one standing!

31-Jan-15
See how all this advice I'm getting when a booner has spots you coming to full draw while still quartering away to you. You know he is going to wheel and run. Do you take the Big Dan frontal, or let the deer run off? I'm just testing to see if there is equipment that will help with that decision.

01-Feb-15
So the bigger the trophy, the more justification for taking a marginal shot? Can't let the "Booner" get away, right?

If you know what your doing, you don't let him see you draw your bow. You don't draw your bow when he is facing or quartering towards you. You wait for the opportunity to get away with your draw and you do it when he is in a good position for an ethical shot. It's that simple.

Your trying to force it instead of letting it happen. And your doing it just to satiate your own ego. So sadly, like many guys, you are really missing the whole point of bowhunting. It's really not about doing whatever it takes, ethical or not, to stack up trophies, it's about challenging yourself, rising to the challenge, and doing it right.

01-Feb-15
Not a marginal shot if it can be made...that is what I'm trying to find out. I know bowhunters who wouldn't take broadside shots on huge bucks. They didn't want to take a chance and would wait until gun season to kill them. Sounds stupid, but that is what they did. With the right equipment it might be proven just as stupid to pass on quartering too shots. Not many are electing to shoot equipment that will penetrate as well as I am. I wouldn't hesitate to use what I am currently shooting on a cape buffalo and would likely get a pass or really close to it. But if this heavy setup opens the door for tough angles then it could be the way to go, especially where it is thick and you don't get the chance at a perfect shot at every animal.

01-Feb-15
Ethical, responsible bowhunters only take perfect shots. They don't force it when it's not there and hope for the best. When you compromise ethics to satisfy ego you are headed in the wrong direction.

Crucify the ego.

02-Feb-15
TBM has the equipment to penetrate....lmao!

02-Feb-15

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
tonyo6302's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear