greg simon 30-Jan-15
DWinVA 30-Jan-15
bowpackerROB 03-Feb-15
DWinVA 03-Feb-15
DWinVA 12-Feb-15
30-Jan-15

DWinVA's embedded Photo
DWinVA's embedded Photo
An Easterners take on the EXO 3500.....I am a whitetail hunter from SW VA who is going on my first CO archery elk hunt in 2015. I'm a bow hunter first and foremost but use a MZ and rifle to take deer here in VA. For years I've been packing my clothes and a climbing tree stand in to keep from sweating and to stay warm once on stand. The average walk to my stand is 45 minutes in quite mountainous terrain (relative to VA not CO). Our early bow season is warm so I routinely use the gutless method and pack them out. I've been using a Sitka Flash 20 the past several years and after a kill I hike out and bring my old Dwight Schugh pack to haul the meat out. In preparation for the elk hunt I carried the Schugh pack with 50 lbs. on it during walks over last summer. I plan on doing a lot of this with some good hikes thrown in before this coming August.

Since booking the elk hunt I've been thinking about upgrading to a better pack and have read about every thread on here and other sites concerning hunting packs. I've considered Kifaru, Stone Glacier and others but something really intrigued me when I first saw an EXO 3500 pack and I liked their price much better. After a lot of email exchanges with Steve I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a foliage 3500, meat shelf, and beaver tail. Steve was great in responding to all of my questions and even sent quite a few pictures to help a novice make an educated decision. I already had 2 EXO hip belt pouches that I used on the Flash 20. When I opened the box and removed the pack I knew I finally had a real hunting pack. The stitching is top notch, the webbing and buckles are heavy duty (I broke 2 buckles on the Flash 20). I added a little weight and adjusted the pack per Steve's instructions. Since the next morning was our late muzzle loading season opener I filled the pack up with gear and late season clothes. The hike in that morning was much more enjoyable. The pack carried very well and there were no squeaks, creeks or other issues. Since I don't have a spotting scope or tripod I use the bottom of one side pocket for a small camera mount that attaches to my IPhone. Above that I carried a possibles pouch with extra MZ loads and cleaning supplies and lastly I had a stuff sack up top with a few cliff bars and snacks, in the other long pocket I carry a bipod. In the main bag I had my kill kit in the bottom, Sitka Fanatic bibs, jacket and a Sitka Traverse hoody with plenty of room to spare. In the top lid I carry often used items like gloves, beanie, radio, light, etc. I also carry water and a small thermos with hot tea in the lower stretchy pockets. By the way the big stretchy pocket is awesome...it came swallow up rain gear, puffys etc. without a problem. During a few unseasonably warm evening hunts I was able to take less gear and the pack compresses down very nicely.

I was fortunate enough to get a second to last day slick head for the freezer. The .50 cal ruined both shoulders so I packed out both hind quarters, back straps, and the tenderloins with no issues. I loaded the meat between the bag and frame and it worked much better than the old way I've been packing them out. I estimate I had between 50-60 lbs. coming out and the pack handled it great. In summary I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs of this pack and using it to its full extent. I plan on doing some winter coyote hunting. It worked great to haul out several hang-on stands after the season was over.

Thanks to everyone on Bowsite for all of the advice and information that is freely given.

God Bless.

30-Jan-15

DWinVA's embedded Photo
DWinVA's embedded Photo
Pack with 2 stands and ladder sets.

30-Jan-15
Thanks for sharing your experiences

30-Jan-15
pretty cool take on a pack that's known for us in the west. I ordered, though not ready yet, the 5500 with meat shelf in camo. Can't wait to get it.

30-Jan-15
Thanks for the review. I plan on ordering a 3500 soon.

30-Jan-15
Great review. Thank you. I have heard nothing but great things about this pack and there customer service. Its for us hunters having multiple great options in all our gear.

30-Jan-15
Congratulations on getting a great pack! Isn't it amazing how useful a good pack is, even for the eastern whitetail hunter.

30-Jan-15
According to one of Steve's posts on another site the 2015 model has a few tweaks. He said more details will come in a few weeks.

Just finished loading mine up for a post season scouting hike/coyote hunt in the morning.

God Bless.

03-Feb-15
Interested in the 3500 pack as well, what site are you seeing the updates on?

03-Feb-15
Rokslide.com

12-Feb-15
From Steve at EXO:

Originally Posted by SHTF

I hope it has something to do with a floating lid, and non locking buckles =-) We'll have final production samples next week and we'll be getting pics and videos done as fast as we can. The following week is the Salt Lake Hunt Expo so we'll do our best to get those up before we leave for the show. Some of the major changes: •Changed to a tubular titanium frame instead of solid. The frame itself dropped 5oz! We tested them all of last year and they are bombproof. •Same floating lid on the 3500 that was on the 5500 last year •Still have the option though to move the front lid compression straps up and have it function like the reverse lid •The shoulder harness is a more dense foam (same as belt but 1/2") and is completely redesigned to eliminate any squeak •Eliminated all of the locking (wave lock) 3/4" ladder locks except where the bag attaches to the frame •The frame panel has 3 more added aluminum cross stays to add rigidity to it •Got rid of all the 70d material in the pack. We didn't have any durability issues but in extreme cold it got pretty noisy. We now use a much tougher and quieter 420d Diamond Ripstop. •The bag itself is pretty much unchanged. We did add the option to add interior pockets with a pretty unique velcro attachment system. You can get up to (4) of our 8" mesh pockets in there now.

There are probably 50 other minor changes that we have implemented. With a full year of pack production under our belt and another year of testing/ prototyping we are continuing to improve on the pack.

We don't have final weight specs but it should be a few ounces lighter, most of that coming from the weight savings of the frame. With the added cross stays in the frame panel and floating lid we gained a few ounces there.

The pre-order list has been growing rapidly, we will start shipping packs in 3 weeks but at this point it will be later in March until we are caught up. After that we are really hoping to have plenty of packs in stock and shipping daily.

Steve

• Sitka Gear