lanceethan 30-Jan-15
INDBowhunter2 30-Jan-15
huntingbob 31-Jan-15
Gun 31-Jan-15
lanceethan 31-Jan-15
cityhunter 31-Jan-15
BULELK1 31-Jan-15
30-Jan-15
I was thinking about going on a bighorn ewe hunt to try out sheep hunting. I was looking at different states and I'm not sure which is the best bet as far as price or draw odds what do you guys think?

30-Jan-15
Research research research

Go to game and fish websites will show you the current facts Tags available price. Seasons. Draw rates etc. etc. etc

Most hunting consultant services don't cover them

Last year wy NR ewe was something like 1/89 chance to draw

Drawing Wy ewe tag does not affect ram tag opportunities or points

Two separate draws

Not so for all states

30-Jan-15
Very good odds in CO. Will use your points but you can hunt sheep

30-Jan-15
Also I would want good public access I am young and willing to go anywhere and camp hunt hard ect. Is a ewe hunt as tough as rams would I need the same kind of gear?

30-Jan-15
Montana best buy at 750.00 for NR tag, and good odds if you select ewe as 1st choice. Good success rates.

Colorado at 2000.00+ for NR tag and a more difficult hunt, with historically poor success rates via archery.

30-Jan-15
duplicate

30-Jan-15
sheep are not tough to get into bow range

30-Jan-15
To be up front with ya Lance---

I had a Montana 482 Ewe tag in 2014....

I just could not arrow one as it seemed so unethical.

They just stood there and looked at me...how pathetic would it have been to arrow one---

Yup I ate the $$$ tag fee and feel content.

I did the very same on my Cow Moose tag in Utah a year or two ago as they just stood there and looked at me...not much of a hunt and certainly not hunting worthy...

Killing the simplified 'Girls/antlerless' is lil' sack worthy...

Good luck, Robb

30-Jan-15
Good going Robb !!

30-Jan-15
OK so I need to apply to zone 482 in Montana lol jk what about Wyoming is there access if you draw a tag

30-Jan-15
I don't think WY is offering nonresident ewe tags this year, FYI.

31-Jan-15
The ewe sheep are far different than a ram. They almost always have there little boys with them and they do not react like a ram if you actually get a chance at a ram. I did have one chance at a ram last year but I was not successful. After that I never saw a ram that I would shoot. But I had multiple shots at barely legal rams and I chose not to do it. If you just want to shoot a sheep an ewe tag will be your best bet! I however like Robb said.. "it would just not seem ethical" Good luck and I hope you see why he said what he said. I am sure there are hunts where one could make it a reasonable hunt and actually feel you earned the ewe. Just my opinion. If I drew a ewe tag next year I would be one hunter with a tagged ewe in short order. Hmmn ?? no! just gonna go back into it and learn where the rams are! I have at least a 3 year waiting till I am in the draw again but I will be back and in the mean time I will try and figure them out. Bob.

31-Jan-15
I've shot 4 ewes so far. Every one was a hunt. The best venison there is!

31-Jan-15
I have hunted Wyoming before so I get there system how does Montana work for a ewe tag? And how high up do you go for ewes could I bring someone along who wants to hunt elk or mule deer?

31-Jan-15
wy has no ewe tags this year !

31-Jan-15
Like I said, it was my decision not someone else's.

Like most every time in the past I have no problem helping some one out if they draw a unit/species I have drawn.

I sent short video's out to many while I was in Mont. and totally enjoyed 482......

I have drawn/hunted sheep in Utah, Colo and Mont..

Good luck, Robb

PS--PM sent Lance

• Sitka Gear