BOWNBIRDHNTR 10-Feb-15
Cross Country 10-Feb-15
Db1 10-Feb-15
Mark Watkins 10-Feb-15
Woodsman416 10-Feb-15
31-Jan-15

Cross Country 's embedded Photo
I was fortunate to travel with my dad down south to Cabo and experience a truly different world. It was an unreal experience to be able to see the different cuisine, native tongue, and different spelling of words. I had a successful adventure(I lived through it)and was able sink an arrow in the post at Del Borracho's.

31-Jan-15

Even the hard surface roads lacked repair. Just simply getting to the mountains because of the September hurricane was a continual risk. Traveling the mountain pass roads to and from our camp site was a daily adventure and usually quite unnerving.

31-Jan-15

Once dad and I made it to our camp it was dark. We spent very little time unpacking. We were both very tired from a long days worth of traveling into our area. Morning came quickly, but I was ready for whatever the day had to throw at me (or so I thought).

31-Jan-15

The drive to our hunting area took nearly an hour. Even though it was only 5 miles away from camp. In some spots the hurricane's wrath was greater reflected then in other areas. Once we made it to the "Super Bowl" (the area I would be hunting which contained a high winding ridge top that was bowl shaped) we wasted no time in unloading our binoculars and spotting scopes to begin the search for a ram.

31-Jan-15

Glassing can be one of the most challenging parts of the hunt if you come unprepared. Fortunately, we did our research and came prepared! After around an hour and a half of glassing in this location we packed up our gear and moved further into the "Super Bowl". Additional rainfall accompanied the hurricane; the end result was a very lush green mountainside which contained much food as well as much cover for sheep to hide behind.

31-Jan-15

After looking over the new location's mountainside for around two hours, Ismael, one of the guides, spotted five ewes (e-we's as Tom Hoffman calls them) about 2.5 miles away on the top of a ridge. After the sheepless spell had been broken the sheep started to come out of the framework soon it wasn't long until Trino, another guide had spotted another group of ewes with a young ram. As more sheep were spotted the anticipation of spotting a good ram grew and grew. Until.......

31-Jan-15

Until, Roberto, my main guide, spotted this ram nestled amongst the mountainside. Immediately everyone moved their gaze over to the ram. A young ram, legal, but young. Soon there then after we would spot additional movement as two much older and larger rams would appear from the mountainside. One very old and broomed off ram, the other a fully mature stud of the mountain. The hunt was on. With only three hours of daylight remaining we put the rams to bed and we were forced to leave for the night. It was difficult to leave the rams that night.

31-Jan-15
Awesome. Keep going Reed. I want more.

31-Jan-15
There are several people on this website with arrows in the beam at Del Buracho....we are all really looking forward to the rest of this adventure!!

31-Jan-15
Can't wait to hear this one.

01-Feb-15
College can wait! Ha! Keep your adventure rolling!!! Been looking forward to this One! Great getting to know you in Reno!

Mark

01-Feb-15
Wake up and post REED!!!!

01-Feb-15
Can't believe you left us hanging! You need to post the rest of the pictures and story!

01-Feb-15
Congrats Reed, let's hear the rest!

01-Feb-15

Sorry for the delay. We are enjoying the blizzard that we are experiencing in Iowa!

After a fun filled night of strategizing(in Spanish) about the next day's plan to relocate the band of three rams,we managed to get a good night's rest. Morning came quickly soon we had loaded all of our gear, including sleeping bags and pads, and at 5:21 in the morning we headed off to the mountains. Roberto and I felt very confident about relocating the group of rams. Once we returned to the area we began glassing for the rams. Thankfully, they had not moved far from the location where they had been the night before.

01-Feb-15

With the rams located and a game plan made, the only thing left to do was climb.

01-Feb-15

The terrain was tough, and the cacti were sharp. During our ascent we found ourselves backtracking at times in order to reach the saddle on the rim rock top. Our trek would take us 3 hours to go only just over one and a quarter miles. And I was just starting to have fun.

01-Feb-15

Once we reach the saddle our next goal was to locate the rams. We knew that we were within 400 yards of the feeding rams. We would have to cross over two large washes to reach the rams. As we moved closer to the rams we closed the distance quickly and quietly. We crossed the first wash with ease. As we edge closer to the second wash we stop as we near a high point. We spend a moment to try and spot the rams. Suddenly the young ram appears! I pull up my rangefinder and the yardage reads 125 yards! We drop down immediately and hope to not spook the sheep. I take another glance and spot the other two rams. For the next two hours we play peek-a-boo with the rams until they eventually feed up the side of the mountain near the top. With no possible way to move in any closer to the rams, without bumping them, we back out and formulate a new game plan.

01-Feb-15
Now I catch myself not wanting this thread to end too quickly. I want to savor and recall prior experiences down there.....take your time and do the spirit of your ram proud!!

01-Feb-15
Reed, Management Theory 371 can wait!!! Great story on a great hunt! We're still here!

Mark

01-Feb-15

Once we get far enough away from the rams we are able to re-evaluate our strategy. Roberto then says to me, "the only way to get to them is to go up".

So,up we go!, to the very top of the ridge. Once on top we work our way to the crest of the ridge (which was very close to where the rams had fed). Then Roberto spots them, 135 yards away from us. We drop down to our bellies and decide to wait them out. The wind was blowing in our faces, and the sun was high in the sky,it was their move. The rams stay put, hardly acknowledging our existence. After around 50 minutes the young ram begins feeding slowly and works his way down closer to us. Within half of an hour the other two rams begin to do the same.

I begin to wonder if something good might happen. Thinking that there is no way on Earth that they will work their way to within range. Sure enough they do, and my excitement begins to grow. The young ram keeps feeding towards us and is now only 65 yards directly below. I think to myself that this is a good sign. The others begin to move; 135 yards becomes 128, then 121, 117,113,108, slowly but surely the rams work their way closer and closer to us. 108 then 101, they are getting really close! They break the 100 yard gap. 98,84,78, finally the largest ram and the other broomed off ram split. The largest ram keeps feeding down closer to us. This could come together, I may get a shot. I slowly adjust myself from the prone position, in order to be able to draw. The ram catches my slight movement and takes a few steps backward and then jumps up on a large boulder over looking me and stares. His regal poise on that outcropping was stunning, he is the king of this mountain, I thought to myself. I readied myself for a possible shot, he is mostly broadside and well inside my kill range. I see his ears jerk forward and once more he glares in my direction,the ram behind him moves dislodging a rock. The falling rock causes my ram to jerk his head back towards the noise of the rolling rock.

01-Feb-15

01-Feb-15

I finish making the necessary adjustment, draw, focus, and the arrows is on its way. I watch the arrow in flight, dead on to meet its target. Then suddenly as it is about to make contact with the ram. I see the fletching drop sharply down to the right. Before I know it the ram takes off climbing higher and higher up the moutainside. I pull up the binoculars only to see the rams leg covered with blood. Before I know it the rams disappear over the top of the ridge away from us. By this time there is around an hour left until dark. Roberto and I cannot believe what had just happened (my arrow was deflected from a small branch in front of the ram that I did not see until after the arrow made contact with it). We are forced to return to the saddle to inform the others on what had happened. Darkness falls upon us as we unroll our pads for the night I am left with a mental image that I still possess to this day of the ram running off. Even though me are in bed (our sleeping bags) by 6:38 P.M. It was a night filled without much sleep.

01-Feb-15

I was up before daylight. Trino begins to gather some small tinder for a small fire to heat some water for coffee. By 6:58 the sun had cleared the horizon and I was hopeful that we would locate MY RAM. We wasted little time retracing our tracks to where the ram was last seen. He could be any where by now. This was a vast and rugged country.

The trek to where I last saw the ram was nearly impossible to get to, shear cliffs and loose rocks, but where there is a will, there is a way. We climb and make it over to the general area in around an hour. Trino spots blood on the ground and we are all suddenly filled with a new sense of hope and excitement. We scour the blood trail for around 300 yards. The trail up to this point has been covered with extremely good signs of blood. I have much hope that he is down just ahead of us a short distance. As we proceed we come up the spot where my ram had bedded during the night. We found fresh blood and then looked for the any other signs of the blood. (When the ram bedded the wound sealed up and the ram was no longer bleeding) As we pressed on Roberto found the tracks of my ram and we were able to follow him into an area of very thick brush. As we pushed onward further into the brush. From out of nowhere I hear "borrego" (Spanish for ram) and look up to see my ram (moving just fine) staring at us at around 170 yards. He then takes of trotting around to the other side of the mountain. We continue to follow him for the next 5 hours. Roberto comes to the conclusion that the ram is working the ledges until he can return to an area in which he is comfortable. After a long days worth of searching for my ram we come up empty handed. With insufficient supplies we are forced to leave the mountain for the night and return back to camp. Another night of limited sleep.

01-Feb-15

01-Feb-15

On the morning of our fourth day out we faced a minor issue in camp with our generator, it was in need of repair because of our location in the world the generator needed to be taken to a small town just across the bay. We dropped the generator off at Agua Verde and were on our way for the day. By the time we reached our glassing area it was around 8:50 in the morning. After the past two days of abusing my bow (on rocks,through cactus, and against brush) I decide to take some time to shoot and make sure that everything is still aligned. I shoot extremely well which revived my faith in my gear. Meanwhile, dad and all of the guides are scouring the mountainside with glasses for my ram. After around two and a half hours of glassing I hear what sounds like someone running down the glassing hill. Sure enough it is Roberto with news that he has spotted my ram and that he is very close to us (maybe only an hours trek) in a position where a stalk can be put on! We grab our packs, formulate a strategy, and take off for my ram.

01-Feb-15
Keep it coming!

01-Feb-15
Intense! Suspenseful! Riveting! Forget about the watching the Super Bowl Reed! What hunt!

Mark

01-Feb-15

I prepare myself to take off for the area where my ram is feeding in. I take the time to lighten my pack. I empty my of all unnecessary items for trek over to my ram. By the end of it I have taken out things many things varying from spoons to sleeping bag and pad. Just before we take off my dad gives me a good hug and says; "Don't come back without your sheep!" I think he meant it.

As we begin our hike up to the ledge the ram is on we strategize further and decide that the best opportunity to get a shot on the ram is to have him come to us. After a short 50 minutes of hiking Roberto and myself split apart from Trino who would move when signaled and let the ram scent him. Hopefully, sending the ram in our direction for a shot. Roberto and I climbed higher and higher until we were on the same ledge as the ram. Once were on the same ledge we stalked closer and closer. Once in position we analyzed the trails where the ram would go on. We anticipated that the ram would be coming on the main trail and be around 18 yards away broadside when he stopped. With Roberto to my right and the rock ledge right behind us we were in position. We give Trino the signal and he began his move towards the ram. Within minutes I hear tumbling rocks; I mentally prepare myself and get ready. I then spot movement and strain my eyes looking for the ram. Soon I spot the ram. He is not the main trail like I told myself he would be. (Evidently he didn't read the script!) He runs up, spots us, and stops offering only a frontal shot at 11 yards(and some people wonder why I have a ten yard pin ;) ). While he spotted us and was stopping Roberto slide out of my way and I had drawn back. I focus my pin and release. We watch the ram take off running to the side of the ledge and then disappear over the side of it. (Approximately a 45 foot drop). Roberto and I take off running through all of the razor sharp thorns and stickers and make it to the edge to spot my ram. The ram is standing, he appears dazed, I quickly nock another arrow and draw back Roberto whispers 34 (yards) and I release. The arrow flies and strikes the ram in the opposite side leg. He manages to make his way into a dry mountain wash where he does not come out of. Roberto, Trino, and I regroup and scale down to the ledge below. We spot my ram and I stalk into 25 yards and place an arrow into his vitals. He again bolts out of the thorns and bails over the edge of the mountain wash and his head relaxes for the last time, my prayers were answered, I got my RAM.

01-Feb-15

I am very thankful and blessed to have been presented with this opportunity. The Good Lord was truly with me. It took dad awhile but when he got to see my ram, the emotions really hit me. I went through a lot chasing this guy. I endured through hot spots on my feet, fighting stickers and thorns every step of the way, the steep and treacherous terrain. I enjoyed every single step of the climb. Mi borrego se llama "Carlos Qunito" (we had nicknamed my ram Carlos Qunito, after the Mexican chocolate company because of his dark color. According to my guide and biologists he is 10-12 years old.

01-Feb-15

What an incredible adventure with a great group of guys who contributed so much and made this hunt successful.

01-Feb-15

85 pounds never felt so good!

01-Feb-15

01-Feb-15

After the hard work was done it was time to and carry on the tradition(of shooting an arrow into the post)!

01-Feb-15

This is one of the few times where I won't mind hitting a tree ;)

01-Feb-15

Thanks for reading.

01-Feb-15
that as an awesome story man, not sure about the Cyclone shirt though... Go Bulldogs!

Congratulations memories to last a lifetime.

michael

01-Feb-15
Grats! Great ram!

01-Feb-15

Jimmysharpstick's embedded Photo
Jimmysharpstick's embedded Photo
Congrats! Way to finish what you started. How many arrows in the beam now?

01-Feb-15

As most of you know, the details, the hits, the misses, the ups and downs of any pursuit are many. I could write many more details of my excursion, some important, some personal and valued only because they were shared with my dad. After I had my ram down, he hiked a mile and half at a brisk pace to acknowledge my success. In spite of a couple knee surgeries, he was instrumental in locating my ram at a distance while glassing.

01-Feb-15

If I counted correctly there are 14 arrows in the beam when we were there. Plus an additional one makes 15! I'm going to put up some fun pictures of the rest of the trip.

01-Feb-15

We had the opportunity to go "hand fishing" while down there! I was told that this type of fish it good eating but has poisonous stingers on them!

01-Feb-15

01-Feb-15

Seagulls were abundant and bothersome when the fisherman returned to shore to clean their catch. (They caught a few young hammerhead sharks.)

01-Feb-15

We drove through and by a few small villages and towns. It was a great experience to see how people are able to utilize and live off of so little.

01-Feb-15

The fisherman hard at it!

01-Feb-15

02-Feb-15
Congrats Reed...Great ram, great adventure.

02-Feb-15
I wonder how much $$ in arrows and broadheads is sunk into that beam at Del Borracho.....That really is a cool place, and fun tradition!!

02-Feb-15
Reed, a huge congrats to you and Tim! What a great Life Adventure the two of you are on!

See you at P&Y?

Mark

02-Feb-15
Congrats Reed! It brought back a lot of good memories. I recognize a few of those arrows in the beam.

02-Feb-15
Great ram and thanks for sharing!. Congrats!

02-Feb-15
Way to go REED!!! I really believe that the Desert hunt is so underrating in terms of Physical toughness, it's not the 40 below of Canmore, but it's a Bitch at times! Beautiful Ram! You are the Man!

02-Feb-15
Muy bueno amigo!!

02-Feb-15
Mark, we are planning to do so.

02-Feb-15
Congrats on a great trophy and a great trip!

02-Feb-15
Nice work Reed! I love the photo of you and your father.

02-Feb-15
Great job! Congrats!!

02-Feb-15
Congratulations Reed!

02-Feb-15
Congratulations!!!

... thanks for taking us along.

02-Feb-15
Congrats! Mike

02-Feb-15
Excellent, congrats!

02-Feb-15
YOU ARE THE MAN! That's the way you hang in there and get your job done. Proud to be your friend and so happy when things go well for you. Thanks for posting and Congrats.

02-Feb-15
Congratulations in a great adventure!

02-Feb-15
Congrats, what an adventure!

02-Feb-15
Congratulations!!!

02-Feb-15
Beautiful ram and great story and pics. Congrats and thanks for your story.

02-Feb-15
Excellent job. Congrats on a great ram and making memories with your dad.

02-Feb-15
Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing the story with us. Any archery sheep is hard earned and most certainly your's was no exception!

02-Feb-15
That was a great post. Thanks. HUNT

02-Feb-15
Congratulations!

02-Feb-15
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

03-Feb-15
Congrats on a hunt of a life time and taking a great ram. Being able to share it with your father is priceless.

03-Feb-15
Awesome trip,,, congrats!

04-Feb-15
Great job man! Congratulations on your success! Love those pics from Del Barracho shooting your arrow and the fletching closeup from the others. You did great! Thanks again for taking us along.

09-Feb-15
Great job, congratulations and thanks for posting a great story!!!

10-Feb-15
Congratulations! Sitting here reading it Ames, Iowa myself...love the Iowa State camo shirt!!

10-Feb-15
I really appreciate all of your comments. During the time in between classes I check the post and I really enjoy seeing all of your posts. Thanks RB

10-Feb-15
Very cool...great job and a beautiful ram!!

10-Feb-15
Well Reed, I just did another complete "read through" of your hunt!

Incredible adventure to say the least....Look forward to hearing all the details at P&Y over a Roy Rogers!

Mark

10-Feb-15
That was a great writeup! Congrats on a fantastic hunt and trophy!

• Sitka Gear