crankn101 04-Feb-15
Beendare 04-Feb-15
Topgun 30-06 04-Feb-15
crankn101 05-Feb-15
Amoebus 05-Feb-15
ollie 05-Feb-15
papaq 05-Feb-15
02-Feb-15
Notorious WY big game poacher Gary Vorhies has changed his name to Archie Silver and is operating "The Rack Factory LLC" out of Montana and North Dakota. He has a Facebook page with pictures of him and dead critters plastered all over it and 14000 poor fools who like the page. So spread the word about this loser! Remember he poached 2 rams off the highway west of Cody and a giant bull north of there as well! Just Google Gary Vorhies poacher, tons of info.

02-Feb-15

wygoats's embedded Photo
wygoats's embedded Photo

02-Feb-15
You mean there is mis-information and lies on Facebook about hunting? :)

What a shame... Sounds like a clown....changed his name even. Lol

03-Feb-15
Nick I thought it was facebooger?!

03-Feb-15
Damn iPhone auto-correct :)

03-Feb-15
He and Rowdy should partner up.

03-Feb-15
You can tell a true douche by the name he chooses for himself as an alias to disguise his former poaching.

03-Feb-15
Huh, seems like he doesn't enjoy discussing it on his FBI page. I'll have to ask him about it again some other time.

03-Feb-15
So let me get this straight. . .

You show up here with this story, registered anonymously, and expect us to believe your word, with a crappy thumbnail picture, and no supporting documentation?

Am I right so far?

Bake

03-Feb-15
Bake, this is a well known convicted poacher from NW Wyoming. I don't know who wygoats is but the story is true. Thanks, Ron

03-Feb-15
Thanks Ron. I understand.

I'm not trying to be a turd, but if the word should get out beyond where he's notorious, it might help to have some supporting evidence showing this kind of stuff.

I guess I just spend too much time in court thinking about proof :) :)

Bake

03-Feb-15
Bake, this is the internet. Since when has proof ever been a requirement of internet conviction? Ha!

If true, hopefully the word spreads far and wide quickly, as it tends to in these cases.

03-Feb-15
so if that's the same guy and he lost his hunting rights for 50 years, why are they not after him?

http://www.bowhunting.com/blog-archive/post/do-poachers-need-stiffer-penalties.aspx

03-Feb-15

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo

Z Barebow's Link
I have no horse in the race. Posting under anonymous isn't my style. But thread owner may be correct. I googled and easily came up with a trail of death. Some of the comments surrounding Mr. Vorhies are disturbing.

I can't say whether it is the same guy. You decide.

03-Feb-15
Its ironic he was once arrested in Big Horn County.

03-Feb-15
That's what im saying Z- it seems like it is the same dude, but he was banned from hunting for 50 years. Changing your name cant be a way around that.

Read the link I posted above, this guy is a massive d bag. im totally understanding if you take a deer out of season cause you have no money and no food- is it right? probably not, but in small town America this happens all the time. But killing a couple rams off the road? this guy is a prick, now two ways about it.

What about this hunter he guided? He talked him into not tagging a deer then shot another? how did he know that guy wasn't going to turn him in?

michael

03-Feb-15
Hey Wygoats, who are you, what is your name? Bowsite rules state one has to identify themselves yet you haven't. a bunch of XX's don't count.

You seem to be a guy who is all for the rules with this other guy yet you don't need to follow them???

michael

03-Feb-15
Its him, plain and simple.

Shot the first ram from the road with a bow and it fell dead in the wide open so they took off. Only to find a larger ram just up the road that they shot with a rifle. Even had the nerve to take trophy pictures with it before the caped and took its head. A Warden who was on his way up because of reports of the first dead ram passed the poachers and saw blood on the tailgate. Pulled them over and made the arrests.

03-Feb-15
If you don't believe wygoats, or you're skeptical about this thread/story, take the time to do your own research (if you have the time and desire). If you don't care to take the time, move on and read other threads. Simple.

03-Feb-15
Is that losing all hunting privileges anywhere for 50 years or only in the state of WY? Sure looks like the same guy in the pics.

03-Feb-15
From the FB page it looks like he's only selling decals and clothing. Looks like he's taken to hunting game farms where a license isn't needed.

03-Feb-15
"Is that losing all hunting privileges anywhere for 50 years or only in the state of WY?"

Most states have reciprocity. Lose privileges anywhere and you lose them everywhere.

03-Feb-15
Sent your info to Montana Wardens. Didn't know if anyone from here had or not.

03-Feb-15
Wyoming is part of the "wildlife compact" ... or whatever it's called. That means a conviction and loss of hunting privilege in Wyoming is the loss of hunting privilege in at least 38 other states.

IF this is the same guy, changing his name should not change that. Maybe when the name change went through the courts, if it went there at all, fell through the cracks.

03-Feb-15
Google search auto fills poacher behind his name, I'm guessing this is not made up stuff.

03-Feb-15
All you have to do is google the guy's name and he has a terrible record of egregious wildlife violations just as was stated here. He spent a year in jail and the loss of hunting privileges extends to over 40 Wildlife Violator Compact State now. The SOB should have been put in the slammer for 50 years for everything he's been convicted of and changing his name doesn't mean squat!

03-Feb-15
^ Tongue in cheek or do you truly believe poaching should be punishable by 50 years in prison?

Rape and Murder could land you less than a dumb sheep at that rate!

03-Feb-15
ok, something is up here. Why is wygoats unwilling to provide his name via bowsite rules?

There is more to this whole story if you ask me.

03-Feb-15
wygoats, Welcome. Thanks for the info.

Who are you?

03-Feb-15
Whatever mnarcher, if you want to support this pos go right ahead. I'm just letting folks know who they are really dealing with. Nothing more nothing less.

03-Feb-15
A poacher is scum of the earth when it comes to us sportsman. To the anti's us sportsman are all scum of the earth. To the non hunters which is the majority. Its just another law breaker.

Needless to say sportsman believe the punishment is not enough but to a non hunter the punishment is justified.

The problem with this guy is he clearly does not believe in following the laws and will break them again. Taking his hunting rights away for 50 years means nothing to him. He has shot numerous animals without a license. Refraining him from buying one don't mean squat. I am a firm believer in hitting there pocket book hard. Using that money for conservation. Sure we can't get the animal back but the money will help in more habitat, wildlife law enforcement etc.

Wygoats, it is strange that you show up here with info on this guy but yet don't follow the forums rules to registration.

03-Feb-15
Wygoats,

How are we supporting Vorhies by asking you to follow the rules, which prohibit anonymous registration?

I know full well about this guy, but honestly you're coming across as a petty and vindictive douche by the way you're acting.

Man up.

03-Feb-15
If the information is valid, why would you care where it came from….?

03-Feb-15
Maybe wygoats is this guys ex-wife?!?

03-Feb-15
Maybe he's one of the COs that busted the guy and doesn't want trouble for harassment ...

03-Feb-15
Sure there's a rule about real names....which doesn't seem to get enforced. In reality most who post here will remain anonymous to most of us anyway, since we'll never meet them.

At least he used "xxxx"s. A guy could register with a made-up name and we'd never know the diff.

Your's truly,

Greg Spurgeon

03-Feb-15
Should have registered under the name :Ax to Grind"

DJ

03-Feb-15
I think we should get the TV Wardens after him, That will fix him!!!

bill v.

03-Feb-15
whatever back wygoats, im not supporting this ahole anymore than you are. However you expect him to follow the rules as we do you.

Im very curious what your connection is now and why you fail to follow our rules here.

Seems like a simple request, maybe not.

michael

sorry had a phone call had to run.. anyway like you me and all the rest of the guys here are happy to see you bring this to our attention, but you have to see the irony here.

your first and only posts on this site from what I can see are about this guy today. You registered here simply to tell us about him. Obviously you aren't just a concerned citizen.

03-Feb-15
This Gary dude is a treasure trove of how not to do it.

google this guys name, im shocked he isn't talked about here more often.

an exerpt from one link...

"In another Wyoming case, Gary Vorhies of Cody, Wyo., was fined $3,754, given a 45-day jail sentence and had his hunting privileges revoked for nine years.

After a headless elk carcass was found in an area north of Cody, two stories with photographs of a large bull elk appeared in two hunting magazines. Geographic features depicted in the photographs did not match the area claimed in the article, but did match the area where the elk carcass had been found.

Vorhies had entered the elk, which had scored 365 points in Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young scoring, in several contests. It took first in the Bowhunters of Wyoming Big Game Awards, second at the Wyoming Outfitter's Association Big Bull Contest, and third at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's Bull of the Woods Archery Unguided Contest."

and another...

"A wildlife criminal with a poaching rapsheet going back 17 years was sentenced this week to four years in jail with three years suspended and $27,120 in fines and restitution. Gary Vorhies, 47, was arrested in Big Horn County earlier this month when he returned to Wyoming after spending the past three years out-of-state. Vorhies first gained notoriety in the Cody area for poaching the 365-B&C “Growler Elk,” in 1992 and publishing photos of himself with the animal in national hunting magazines. The Cody Enterprise."

this guy actually spent a year in jail for this? That's it, one year?

I accidentally trapped and killed an owl and you would shat yourself if you knew what I was facing if I didn't plead guilty! This ahole is constantly killing trophy animals in and out of season with no licenses and leaving the meat to rot and he had to spend a year in jail? What a joke.

03-Feb-15
here is his fb account...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007986402689

says he does oil field contracting and lives in froid, mt. I have a friend there in the area im calling tonight to see if he knows him.

michael

03-Feb-15
I haven't looked at the links nor do I care too. I do know this, If I were the Archery Silver on facebook and wasn't previously known as Gary Vorhies, I'd be PO'ed. God Bless

03-Feb-15
Hello all, let there be no confusion of who Archie Silver is (Silver Archer)...yes it is Gary Vorhies. How do I know for sure? He's my brother. Convicted poacher of mule deer, elk, big horn sheep, white tails, and who knows what else. To anyone defending him for his business, would you buy kids clothes from a convicted pedophile? If you have any questions, feel free to ask. He's a douche bag pos, much more than a poacher.

03-Feb-15
Sad

04-Feb-15
Well then

04-Feb-15
Poachers are bad. Im also not a fan of anonymous mudslingers.

Too bad this guy got off so easy.

04-Feb-15
Habitual poachers are one and same as serial killers. This guy has a serious mental condition that needs treatment. I wonder why that is never a condition of the penalties assessed? hopefully his friends (if he has any) or family (which it sounds like he has lost) can get this guy to get some help.....very sad!!

04-Feb-15
He did have to go to psychologist. Just like an alcoholic though..you have to admit you have a problem. He has no family to speak of, he's a user. He will use his family and friends for what he can get out of them, then leaves. He has no consideration for others, psychopath comes to mind.

04-Feb-15
HAHA! Poachers are equal to pedophiles and serial killers! I love the interwebs.

04-Feb-15
Good heads up wyo

04-Feb-15
"HAHA! Poachers are equal to pedophiles and serial killers! I love the interwebs"

Your reading comprehension obviously sucks if you can't understand the co-relation the guy is talking about when using those as examples of the problem the poacher has!

05-Feb-15
Somebody watched Criminal Minds a few to many times.

"Lets deliver the profile."

05-Feb-15
"He has no consideration for others, psychopath comes to mind."

Sounds like you don't mind that he is a 'Silver' now?

I see that you are in MN - was that where Gary was raised?

05-Feb-15
Interesting that so many of you "sportsmen" are more concerned with attacking the poster rather than the poacher. Maybe he is concerned with retribution from the outlaw...ever consider that!

05-Feb-15
Amoebus, no. We were a military family that called Wyoming home. Parents were born there, we went to some elementary classes and all of US graduated from high school there.

• Sitka Gear