jims 12-Feb-15
mtnview 12-Feb-15
SDHNTR(home) 13-Feb-15
mick 14-Feb-15
flyingbrass 14-Feb-15
NoWiser 14-Feb-15
mick 15-Feb-15
11-Feb-15
Hi, Never applied before in the guided pool in NM. How does this work to get an outfitters guide # for your app. Do you sign some sorta contract before applying? I know if you draw you only have to be guided for 2 days. Do any outfitters agree to a 2 day deal if you were drawn and some sorta contract is to be signed ahead of time? Looking to apply (and of course draw) a desert sheep tag. Thanks, Mick

11-Feb-15
contact Jim Wells in New Mex good guy he can help u out on this

12-Feb-15
Thank You for your tip Mick

12-Feb-15
i'm pretty sure you have to fork out the $3k for the tag to apply...ouch!

12-Feb-15
Many NM outfitters will get you into the draw based on the signing of a contract to book the hunt IF drawn. Many offer the two day minimum hunt contracts. Once under contract to book if drawn you can apply for the draw yourself fronting the dough and I've heard Cabelas TAGS will still front the tag fee for their own fee. Personally, I found and signed a contract with a NM outfitter and won't trust the rest of the process to someone else.

Good luck to all in the draws.

13-Feb-15
It's called SB 196. Look it up. Yes, you will have to have some sort of agreement, legal contract or otherwise,for an outfitter to let you use their number. Then if you draw, you are legally obligated to use that outfitters services for at least two days.

14-Feb-15
I contacted Jim Wells that Cityhunter mentioned. But they don`t offer any 2 day contract on sheep, and said they didn`t think any NM outfitters would offer that on the sheep draw like they would on deer or elk. Any one know a good outfitter that would offer a 2 day contract with the option of more days if desired? Thanks, Mick

14-Feb-15
Mick, I don't want to seem harsh but I think it is kinda small minded to use an outfitter for 2 days on a sheep hunt. Sheep hunting is a special thing and if you want to DIY then go ahead and DIY OR get some help from an outfitter for the whole hunt but don't ride the fence.

14-Feb-15
I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. If you want better draw odds, want to go DIY, and can find a willing outfitter, more power to you. It's a bunch of BS the outfitters can tie up those tags anyways.

Good luck!!

15-Feb-15
I`m just trying to have that so to speak one in a million shot at drawing one of three tags rather than just have a shot at the one tag in the unguided pool. I agree with Nowiser it is kinda bull to have 2 of the tags in a guided pool in my opinion also. I have hunted sheep twice before, Trust me I realize it is a special thing. I would most likely in the event of drawing hire a guide. I just don`t like the thought of having to firm up a commitment prior to drawing, I`d like to have my options opening if the the stars ever lined up. Mick

• Sitka Gear