kota-man 24-Nov-18
TXHunter 24-Nov-18
Tracker 24-Nov-18
Kurt 24-Nov-18
Michael 24-Nov-18
kota-man 24-Nov-18
Ambush 26-Nov-18
14-Feb-15
Going through some gear totes today preparing for my next adventure, I came to the the realization that I own about 17 different "Puffy" jackets. For those not familiar with the term "puffy", it is a jacket normally kept in your pack on mountain hunts that you would pull out and put on as an insulating layer while you stop to glass or just to wear when you are not hiking. So, I thought to follow up the boot thread and the pack thread we could have a 2015 "Puffy" review thread.

Here are some of the jackets I own:

KUIU Super Down (3) - Hooded, 1/4 Zip and Hoodless.

KUIU SPin Drift

KUIU Kenai

Sitka Kelvin (4) - Kelvin Down, Kelvin Lite, Kelvin, and have pre-ordered the new Kelvin Ultra which is Down and Primaloft combined.

First Lite Uncompahgre

Krpytek Kratos

Kryptek Aquillo

Kryptek Borelais

North Face Thermoball

Cabelas Primaloft

Mountain Hardware Down (2)

As soon as I have some time I will put together some thoughts on each one of these jackets and any others I may come across in my gear totes! Stay tuned...

14-Feb-15
Also please share for each model when was the last time you actually used it

14-Feb-15
17 puffys!

Lol

14-Feb-15
This should be good. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say. For the record I bought a cabelas primaloft a few weeks ago. I think you have more puffys then what the cabelas store had on there racks combined.

14-Feb-15
Grant...Believe it or not, I wear the heck out of most of them. I would say not a day goes by that one of them doesn't get worn either for work, snow shoeing or coyote hunting.

I NEW you'd be on here quick Nick. You shouldn't laugh, I've seen your gear room.

14-Feb-15
Nice! Thanks for the reviews. I have a Western Mountaineering flash jacket. It's super light and warm. Looking forward to your thoughts on all of these.

14-Feb-15
Look forward to this. I've got the spindrift and super down and love them both. Would certainly add another or two to the gear closet.

14-Feb-15
I told my wife I had "Puffy Envy"! She laughed & said get over it! I have one, the M.H. Compressor. David

14-Feb-15
Ok...Might as well get this started...It is minus 20 here today with a 20 mph wind. What else is there to do but review "Puffy" jackets. :) For size reference I am 6'1 (and a half) 240. My everyday jackets/shirts are XL. I'm not exactly an "athletic" build but in shape well enough to hunt the mountains every fall.

First decision one needs to make is Down vs. Synthetic. For me this decision is easy based on whether you are going to be active or stationary while wearing the jacket. I cannot wear a down jacket while hiking in ANY temperature. Down jackets generally don't breath real well. Synthetics (primaloft, 3DeFX, etc) are GREAT at moisture management. Generally speaking the down jackets are warmer and more packable/compressable.

*KUIU Superdown - I have all three versions of this jacket. 1/4 Zip, Hoodless and Hooded. Prices range from $200-$250. The "quixsdown" is a water repellent treated down. Jacket is filled with 850 fill goose down. Each of the jackets have a little different fill weight with the quarter zip being the lightest (7 oz)and the hooded being the most (10 oz). The two way stretch fabric on these jackets is very comfortable. Super Down is my "go to" jacket on mountain hunts as it compresses very well and has a warmth to weight ratio second to none. The only downsides to this jacket are 1. - The fabric is very light and not real durable. In fact, I don't recommend wearing this as a outer layer. 2. The jacket doesn't breath real well. No matter how cold it is, I can't wear this one hiking or I'm sorry. While it may not be my favorite "all around puffy", it is my main "go to" insulation layer on mountain hunts. AS far as fit goes, I think most would agree, this jacket has an extremely athletic cut and many size up on this one. Mine are all XXL without a lot of room to spare. The Super Down pants also go with me on every mountain hunt.

*KUIU Spin Drift - This was KUIU's first shot at a "puffy". It is a synthetic layered jacket that is fairly lightweight and compresses about as good as a synthetic jacket can compress. I actually continue to carry this jacket as a second jacket for over the top of Super Down on late season hunts. I think this jacket was about $150 new. For KUIU, it does have a more generous fit. Mine is an XL. This one does a great job of managing moisture. The fill is a little light and KUIU had some issues with the fill coming out the seams. Mine is still very functional.

*KUIU Kenai - My latest puffy purchase and probably one of two of my favorite all around puffy jackets. This one uses 3DeFX synthetic insulation. The jacket breaths EXTREMELY well thus moisture management is A+++ on this one. The outer is 2 way stretch similar to the Super Down but just a little heavier. You need to "size up" on this one. I originally ordered a XXL, but returned it for a XXXL as I plan on wearing it a lot as an outer layer. I think it runs ridiculously small. Price point on this one is pretty good at $179 for hoodless and $199 for hooded. A stiff wind will blow through this jacket and if I was going to use it for my main puffy on mountain hunts, I would use in conjuction with a softshell or rain jacket. I could easily wear this jacket as my outer layer on a late season active hunt. The one downside to this jacket is that it isn't as compressable as some. Especially the hooded version. This one is tough to beat for active wear. I wear mine snow shoeing and coyote hunting and it has become a favorite of mine. The jacket is soft, comfortable and fairly quiet for this type of jacket.

That covers the KUIU jackets. KUIU technology in hunting clothing is second to none IMO. I'll work on Sitka next...

14-Feb-15
It would be nice to see some Wal-Mart or cabelas stuff and how it compares to the hi end stuff. Most on Herr can't afford a $159 puffy.

14-Feb-15
I feel much better about all the gear I own when I read something Cory has posted. You provide great help when someone considers remote hunting adventures. Thanks! Mike

14-Feb-15
keep it coming!

I use the RAB Plasma Hoodie as my insulating layer, I don't know if that qualifies as a "puffy".

14-Feb-15
Sitka:

*Sitka Kelvin Down - This is a serious puffy coat. The '15 version of this jacket is a little different than the one I have. The new version combines down and primaloft. I believe mine is just down. The jacket is incredibly warm with a TON of down fill. The downside to this much fill is that it is not nearly as light or packable as the Super Down. Mine has never been on a hunt but has seen plenty of daily casual wear in below zero temps. I really don't have a place for this one in my mountain kit as it is just too much jacket. I'd rather take two lighter weight jackets in my pack over this one. Jacket retails for about $350 and runs pretty true to size as mine is a XL.

*Kelvin Lite -This is a primaloft filled puffy that packs extremely well for a synthetic. Has great moisture management and warmth to weight ratio is as good as any synthetic I've used. I've used this one on a number of mountain hunts and it is a winner. This one retails for $199 and runs pretty true to size for me as mine is a XL.

*Sitka Kelvin - Big brother to the Kelvin lite, this one has over twice as much primaloft fill (170 g. vs. 60). This one does not compress nearly as well as the Lite but is obviously warmer. I don't travel with this one but have used a ton snow shoeing and it performs like a champ. Price is $229 and fit is again pretty true to size as I have an XL.

*Sitka Kelvin Ultra - I can wait to get my hands on this one. Sitka has combined the best of both worlds by filling the jacket with Primalofts Down Blend. If this one breaths, it could very well move its way to the top of the "Puffy Heap" for me. I think retail is around $299 and I did size up on this one to a XXL. More to come later on this one...

The Sitka stuff is quality. Prices are generally at the top of the food chain though.

14-Feb-15
TBM...Be patient...The $29.99 Cabelas Trail HYBRID Puffy review is coming.

14-Feb-15
Cory is doing a service to hunting humanity. I appreciate the insight from his reviews and I have taken to pointing him out to my wife as a baseline comparative.

14-Feb-15
Kryptek:

*Kryptek Kratos - The Kratos is a thinner synthetic (primaloft) puffy similar to the Spindrift. I'm not a huge Kryptek fan in general. The quality of some of their original stuff is lacking. (appears to be improved on the newer stuff though) This jacket compresses pretty well for a synthetic in part because of how thin it is. To me the Kryptek stuff should be a lower price point than it is. I mean it is good stuff, just not in the same tier as KUIU or Sitka. This one retails for $179 and though functional, not a favorite of mine. Sizing is pretty decent as mine is a XL.

*Kryptek Borealis - This puffy is different than any other. The front is a quilted, primaloft lined front and the rest of the jacket is merino wool. The design was for comfort/breathability while wearing a pack. This jacket was actually a favorite of mine for mountain hunting until a ground squirrel ate holes in it on an AK sheep hunt. The gs got his due. Again, the price point on this one is plenty for what it is - $199. Fit is true to size as mine WAS a XL. Very unique concept from Kryptek. I don't know if it is catching on or not, but I really liked mine.

*Kryptek Aquillo - This is a down (800 fill water proof down) puffy similar to the KUIU Super Down Hooded jacket. Though I prefer the stunner stretch on the KUIU jacket, this one gives it a run for the money. I am very impressed with this puffy. Quality is good, warmth to weight ratio is excellent and I don't seem to sweat as much as the KUIU while active in this one. Price point is $239 and I did size up on this one to XXL as I wear it primarily as an outer layer coyote hunting. This one ranks right up there.

I think some of the quality issues have been addressed at Kryptek and they should be a player in the market. Whether they get to the level of KUIU or Sitka is yet to be seen.

14-Feb-15
Oh.... jackets.... never mind.... please continue....

I think I know which one comes out on or near the top anyway. =D

14-Feb-15
Misc:

*First Lite Uncompahgre - One of my favorite, most used all around puffy's. This one is synthetic using 37.5 Cocona Active Particle TEchnology. - Whatever it is I like it. You can use this one sitting or on the move. Manages moisture like no other and very warm. Compresses fairly well, but a little on the big compressed size due to the hood. I have worn this one everywhere from NWT to BC to the back yard snow shoeing and it impresses me everytime I wear it. $200 for solids, $225 for camo is a bargain for this coat. Size is generous, in fact many size down on this one. Mine is a XL and plenty generous in fit for an outer layer. This one has been a lifesaver for me on a couple late sheep hunts. Over the top of Super Down, you can endure just about any temperature. I was on a wind swept mountain in a blizzard sheep hunting in BC and this coat kept me warm and comfortable while my guide and Wrangler froze.

I continue to be impressed by First Lite. I've wore their base layers for years and as they move into the more technical clothing I am impressed. Great company.

*Cabelas Trail Hybrid - I was cruising around the Cabelas store one day and came across this puffy jacket for $29.99 (original $109) and decided to give it a try. The jacket is 100 g Primaloft lined with a polyester ripstop shell. For $30, you absolutely cannot go wrong here. The shell might not be a fancy stunner stretch or have a dwr coating, but for practical use, this one works. Breaths well, compresses good enough. I believe they are still $30 on Cabelas website. If you don't need Vias or Optifade camo this one works. And even if you don't like it, what have you lost? Not much...

North Face Thermoball - I didn't own this one long. Though there was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't fit me right. I started with a XXL and it was huge. Went down to a XL and it fit funny. From a performance standpoint, it seemed to work fine. It didn't compress all that well for as thin as it is. At $199, I thought it was grossly overprice, but what isn't with the NF logo. I wouldn't buy this one again. (Unless it was $30 in CAbelas) :)

Mountain Hardware Phanthom - The Phantom is a treated down goose down jacket that gets most of my "casual" wear. For a down jacket, it doesn't compress as well as some others, but is extemely warm for what it is. I wouldn't hesitate to take this one on a mountain hunt but it is heavier and doesn't pack as well as Super Down. Price point is $229, but I've bought both of mine for around $100 on clearance. Fit is pretty good as a XL fits like it was made for me.

There you have it. PM me for specific questions or fire away right here.

There are a couple of "puffy's" out there I'd still like to try. The new Kifaru Puffy intriques me as do a couple of the "Go Lite" brand puffys.

14-Feb-15
As far as a "winner" goes...There are three of these I don't want to be without: KUIU Super Down, KUIU Kenai and the FIrst Lite Uncompahgre.

14-Feb-15
I bought two of the cabelas jackets. They run a size big to me. For $30 I was impressed. Not quite as nice as my kryptek but for $30 it can be a knock around winter coat and no worries if you hook it.

Appreciate the review, thanks

14-Feb-15
great stuff Cory! Thank you.

As a point of clarification on my previous post, When I ordered my RAB Plasma through Barneys of Alaska it was largely due to the FL Uncompahgre being out of stock. With that said, the RAB performed well down to -17 in Tajikistan and was worth the $$$. RAB is a UK company that manufactures technical clothing for the climbing community.

14-Feb-15
And promise me you will do this test as a bowhunter.. if not let us know. Some of the puffy stuff is no good to bowhunters unless it's modified. My son is barrel chested and has a real problem with the puffy stuff. I like the puffy stuff on my chest but not arms. Thanks for the cabelas review. That's almost as cheap as the goose down vest I found in the woods last season.

14-Feb-15
Didn't go lite go out of business? Have you tried the ems puffy? Seems like pretty good fill weight of high loft treated down

14-Feb-15
kota-man, you are what my wife would call a jacket queer. Me......I'm a boot queer ! Got a lot of gloves too........

14-Feb-15
Don...The RAB Jackets looks good. Haven't heard much about them, but they do look good.

bradbear...yes, I believe go lite is out of business. Too bad. great company for the mountain Hunter . Their tents and tarps are great.

Dry creek...Have you SEEN my boot review? ;). My wife calls me a "gear whore"..

14-Feb-15

Z Barebow's Link
Walmart Puffy Jacket has already been reviewed.

14-Feb-15
Kota- wondering if you ever use a Kifaru Woobie? I just ordered one. Love my super down, and have a couple other puffies, but thought the Woobie would be very useful, but feel like it will be one of those things that gets left out of my pack pretty quick when cutting gear. Just curious of your thoughts.

--Jim

14-Feb-15
kota-man, if the boot fits,................

14-Feb-15
JTreeman- I have a Kifaru parka. They used to make them and stopped. They are gonna make them again. But it's an awesome piece of gear. Synthetic and windproof.

14-Feb-15
Kota - Do you use boot blankets when it's really cold? I like them, they're just so dang bulky on top of all of the other bulk.

14-Feb-15
I love my woobie! I use it all the time.

14-Feb-15
I use my Sitka Kelvin's quite a bit...As you pointed out, very Packable and they wear well under a outer layer if needed....

14-Feb-15
JT...I have a Woobie, but it never seems to find a way in to my pack. Very nice, I just don't use it much.

orion - I'm a "Bunny Boot" guy. My feet rarely get cold in the big, white bunny boots.

Ike..If you like the Kelvin, wait till you see the "Kelvin Ultra"...

14-Feb-15
Kota, Have you ever used the water resistant down puffies in really wet weather? Thanks for the reviews, I've been a puffy fan for a long time.

14-Feb-15
I picked up a Russell APX Primaloft jacket and vest combo a couple years ago from Kings when they were discontinued, for $100. I've been really impressed with the warmth/weight ratio and the versatility.

15-Feb-15
Just knew the FL puffy would be right up there. Great gear, other than sizing on the large side, I hear nothing but good things about it. While likely not the very lightest or most compressible of the genre... I think hands down the most versatile in the widest range of conditions. Only actually used it a handful of times, but has been the ticket every single time.

Note: the Uncompahgre stuffed into it's own pocket, as well as a few other puffies I'm sure, make a pretty decent pillow at night... gotta love multifunctional gear....

Guess I like saying "puffy" too....

15-Feb-15
Alpine...Yes, I've been on a couple trips where it has been wet. (AK sheep hunt comes to mind) I'm pretty careful with it in wet condtions, but it seemed to work as advertised. I never did get it "soaked", just damp. It dried fast and came right back.

15-Feb-15
"Ike..If you like the Kelvin, wait till you see the "Kelvin Ultra"..."

Oh yeah...Waiting patiently!

15-Feb-15
As always, great reviews. I won't buy the North Face simply because so many dorks wear then these day. From Seattle to Boca, flo orange seems to be the rage.

15-Feb-15
I might have to review Tee-Shirts and "Wife Beaters" next! Don't know why you need all that "WARM" stuff! LOL

15-Feb-15
I really like my FL Uncompahgre. I recently used it on my Ibex hunt in January and it kept me very warm. It snowed like crazy one day and it performed flawlessly. Mine is in the desert tan color and I wear it often as a normal coat around town.

15-Feb-15
Kota-man, Which one puffy would setting in a tree on super cold December treestand hunts where you sat all day?

Based on the above I am thinking super down or Kelvin down.

If clearance was a problem would this impact on that choice?

15-Feb-15
Rocky...The Kelvin down is the "puffiest" of the ones I've owned and also the warmest, it would also be my choice as a cold weather treestand layer. Putting a thin layer over the top would help but you don't want to compress it too much or you'll lose it's insulating value. The only downside to the Kelvin Down is the "packability" which shouldn't be much of an issue for treestand hunting.

I opt for either my Sitka Incinerator or First Lite Sanctuary as an outerlayer in cold weather treestand situations. These are both toasty warm with just a thin layer underneath. When it gets REALLY cold, I add a Gerbing Heated Vest.

Tim...I guess if we all stuck to Carmen Island, Texas and Louisiana none of us would need anything but T's, shorts and some sort of Kevlar arm covering for the Cat Claw! :)

I've bowhunted in all of these jackets, and "clearance" isn't an issue with any of them for me.

15-Feb-15
Be careful if you walk around in liquor stores with the puffy jacket on. George Castanza had a hell of a time with that.

15-Feb-15
Hey spike, the Kelvin Down actually reminds me of that jacket but on a little smaller scale! :)

15-Feb-15
Be careful if you walk around in liquor stores with the puffy jacket on. George Castanza had a hell of a time with that.

15-Feb-15
Your gear budget never ceases to amaze me!

I will second that the Sitka Kelvin Down is a LOT of coat. I bought mine primarily for winter climbing and snowshoeing. This is a really warm coat, and I couldn't see using it for bow hunting unless you were hunting in November/December. Mine will double for late November rifle hunts.

Also, there are some very good deals on non-hunting brands if you watch. I bought a North Face primaloft coat (can't remember the model) for $70 on sale at REI. It has served me very well for about four years now.

15-Feb-15
Kota, you ROCK. Love the reviews. Mainly because they make me feel better about my gear pile! Ha. Thanks for taking the time and hope to see more in the future.

15-Feb-15
JLS - I have a gear budget? :) In all honesty we all have our "vices". I have buddies that go to the bar and drop a couple hundred bucks every weekend. I have buddies that own fancy fishing boats and fancy fish houses (Sno Bears) and fish every weekend. I have other buddies that own campers and ATV's. Me...I own 17 puffy jackets, 10 packs, 12 pair of boots and hunt a lot.

Good point on the non-hunting brands. Hollywood found one the works great. I try to support companies that support hunting. KUIU is a hunting company, Sitka is a hunting company, First Lite is a hunting company. I will lean towards giving my money to these companies even if it does cost a little more. But if you are looking for a deal and you don't want to dish out the $$$ to the hunting companies, there can be some great deals had at REI, Sierra Trading Post, Moose Jaw etc.

15-Feb-15
Thank you for the awesome reviews. I really appreciate it. Bought a Kelvin with prim aloft and really like it, but I see a Kuiu super down in my future

May I suggest a new review topic? . . .

Mid weight active layers.

I struggle with a mid hiking layer for those cold morning hikes in elk season. I haven't found that good layer to wear over merino. I get hot easily, so a vest or something with pit zips maybe??

Bake

15-Feb-15
Thanks for taking the time for the reviews! Think I'll try the First Light! David

15-Feb-15
Cory, this should slide easily into reviews of the 'puffy shirt'.

15-Feb-15
Thanks for the reviews kota-man. The Kelvin ultra sounds intriguing. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about that one.

15-Feb-15
I'd say you have a jacket obsession.

15-Feb-15
I have two questions:

1. If there's a a very small risk of rain instead of snow and you'd like to avoid bringing an extra rain layer or would like to bring one layer instead of the poofy to stay warm in the rain, what would you bring? I find myself ending up with too much gear for the nice weather I hunt in due to "just in case."

2. Of all those that you reviewed, what has the best pack space:warmth ratio irrespective of price?

15-Feb-15
1. KUIU Yukon.

2. KUIU Super Down

16-Feb-15
I have a couple of the Cabelas cheapies- excellent at what $40?

They fit me BETTER than the kuiu or sitka as I got them in tall- which is not even an option in the High $$$ jackets. If the high dollar versions were any better- I could see it but essentially they are identical...except 4x the $$$. I like that I can beat them up a little and not worry about it.

Kuiu sizes theirs as a mid layer so the sleeves are cut shorter to fit under a shell- a double no go for me.

16-Feb-15
Just to add my two cents. I wore the Kuiu Super down in Canmore and it was awesome. I agree completely with Kota's assessment. One problem I had is that I tore it up going through some pines. I was leaving a trail of down everywhere I went after that. It also had a few holes from the fires. My wife has since sewn it up. I also had the Superdown mittens and I would not go to Canmore without them! Great for glassing and even hiking in.

16-Feb-15
Kuiu super down on cold (less than 10 degree) MN sits as the insulator, in the NWT sitting glassing and everyday go to coat.....

I love it!

Mark

16-Feb-15
"and others I may come across in some totes..."

You are the superhero of gear!

keep the reports coming, they are awesome!

thanks

michael

16-Feb-15
What are your thoughts on a hooded puffy vs. no hood?

I'm kinda anti hoods because it cuts down my peripheral vision, but I could see where it would be nice while sitting glassing and helping cut the wind.

16-Feb-15
I like a hood as well, but adding a hood really affects compression especially for the synthetics. I usually just rely on the hood on my rain gear. If it is really cold I usually have that on as an outer shell anyway.

The other hood option is a mid layer with a hood. I am really starting to like my First Lite Charma w/hood and my Sitka Traverse w/hood.

16-Feb-15
Lolololol

Gear whore would be a gross understatement here Cory, but you do well justifying it! :-).

16-Feb-15
Kota man,

Thanks for reviewing these products. It makes narrowing down choices a lot easier.

Julius

16-Feb-15

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo

16-Feb-15
Thanks for the review Cory. I added the Kuiu Super down to my arsenal last fall and with the cold temps we had during archery season up here in the Dakotas I think it really saved my season. I was able to sit comfortably in some brutal cold. Packed in great in my day pack, throw it on when I got to the stand. I couldn't be happier with it.

16-Feb-15
Bake, I have a Windstopper vest that I really like for hiking in, over the top of my Chama hoodie. It's just a bit cooler than my Sitka 90% jacket, which is too warm and usually ends up completely unzipped (front zipper and pit vents) if I'm walking around. I'd rather be cool than hot when I'm up and about, my Spindrift goes nicely over the vest when I stop...

16-Feb-15
Great review Kota, thanks for taking the time to do it!

16-Feb-15
Just to add for TBM, my super down vest worked great under my fleece outer shell for bow hunting...

16-Feb-15
Kota,

Thanks for your hard work on these review threads. I've always felt that most reviews are worthless because they compare one piece of gear to itself, there's maybe one other head to head product. Yours generally take the top tier of all products and compare them through real experience as opposed to walking around the block wearing different jackets.

Please keep it up. I've already made several purchase decisions because of your threads.

16-Feb-15
JTreeman- I have a Kifaru parka. They used to make them and stopped. They are gonna make them again. But it's an awesome piece of gear. Synthetic and windproof.

16-Feb-15

16-Feb-15
Kota-man,

Trying to decide between the Kenai and Uncompahgre. Looking for a versatile piece that breathes well for extreme cold active hunting but double as mid-layer insulation piece or quiet outer layer when still or stand hunting. I have the SD hooded jacket, & vest, and a Montbell frost line parka (6.7 oz. 800 fill) that I layer under a Kuiu Yukon. Yes, it still lofts pretty well :) So I have the stationary part down but obviously don't wear the down pieces while moving. Currently wearing the Cabela's berber fleece for insulating layer while moving...works good but heavier and bulkier than I like. That FL sactuary sound intriguing but fear it may be too warm on the move. Any recommendation would be much appreciated. Thank You for all you do on this site!

16-Feb-15
I tried the new Kifaru Jacket on at the Sheep Show, and it is a winner for sure. I think they said they start shipping around May. I'm not a huge fan of "pullovers" so I don't know that I will buy this one.

pointerguy - You definately DON'T want the Santuary. Too warm for any type of movement.

Between the Kenai and Uncompaghre it really is a toss up. IF it was me and I was not going to wear it primarily as an outer layer, I would go with the Kenai. The Kenai is less bulky, quieter and IMO breathes better. The Kenai is a great outer layer, or great for layering. That is not a knock on the First Lite jacket, it is great as well, but if I was buying one for your uses, it would be the Kenai.

17-Feb-15
They are not hunting coats per se, but has anyone tried the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer or Nitrous down jackets? They are really light look they might pack up pretty small and still provide some serious warmth if worn under a camo shell.

18-Feb-15
Olink,

I have a hooded Ghost Whisperer that I bought for hunting/general use and I couldn't be happpy. Very warm and very lightweight. I found it online for $100.

18-Feb-15
I got the Sitka Kelvin Lite jacket last fall. I was amazed at how warm it is for its weight, packs up very small. It is almost always in my pack now. Kota-man you make me feel much better about my gear room! Keep up the good work!

19-Feb-15
The Kuiu Kenai is now available in solid color . (Stone). At least they were a few days ago, mine shipped yesterday.

19-Feb-15
These threads make me feel so good because sometimes I feel I have enough Sitka and Kota-man let's me know how woefully under clothed I am:))

I use the Kelvin Down jacket when snow camo is needed in January. I have a shell layer of the old Skyline snow came I wear on top. Also a great around town Jacket.

19-Feb-15
Glad I am not the only gear nut.....

20-Feb-15
Kota-man - do you find the First Lite jackets that are made with the 37.5 material (Uncompahgre, North Branch)are windproof? If so, are they more breathable than a Windstopper (laminate) lined jacket?

20-Feb-15
Kota,

Would love to see a picture of your "gear" room and how you store all this stuff.

20-Feb-15
Olink...IMO the North Branch stuff doesn't breath at all. For a "puffy" the Uncompahgre breaths very well. Takes moisture right to the outside of the jacket. They are both pretty well windproof.

Ironbow...I'll see what I can do tommorow about that pic.

Charlie...You are the "poster child" for Sitka gear.

21-Feb-15
Thanks for these reviews, they are a fantastic asset and very well done.

I am slow to the whole layering idea and have only recently started filling out my wardrobe. I got a Core4Element puffy off camofire last spring and was amazed at how warm it was for how small it packs down. Unfortunately it fits pretty snug and gets too tight in the armpits with a pack on. I was feeling too guilty about getting a different one (loved the look of the Uncompahgre), but after hearing about how many coats you have I don't feel so guilty now, lol.

29-Nov-15
So, how's the Sitka Kelvin Ultra?

29-Nov-15
I've used the Sitka Kelvin Down Ultralight almost exclusively on 4 hunts this year and have to say it is one of, if not my favorite I've tried/owned. In fact out of all the jackets I tested I only kept the First Lite, Kryptek Aquillo (white coyote jacket, Sitka Kelvin Lite, Sitka Kelvin Down and the Kelvin Down Ultralight.

The blended insulation is a winner for me. Kind of a "best of all worlds". The outer ripstop shell feels more durable to me than the KUIU SD shell and the insulation keeps me as warm. Until something better comes along, this one is my "go to" insulation layer.

29-Nov-15
Never heard of Sitka making a "Kelvin Ultra" and can't find anything on their website. Please provide a link to this product. C

Disregard if it's The Kelvin "Ultra-light" I have that and it layers well under my Fanatic Lite which I'm still wearing in late November. C

29-Nov-15
Cory, love your reviews! When it's time for new gear I always check your reviews before I buy.Thanks!

29-Nov-15
A few guys mentioned about tearing holes in their gear. Any thoughts on the goat tuff tape kuiu sales? I recently tried it and it seemed to work pretty good. Better than sewing I would think. Packable for a quick fix in the field but wonder how it holds up long term?

29-Nov-15
*Edited for Charlie. Yes, Charlie, that is the one. I recall this same conversation earlier in this thread. ;). Kelvin Ultra = Kelvin Down Ultralight.

29-Nov-15
Dennis...I use that stuff for everything! Believe it or not...Better than duct tape! Mine has been through many washes and hard use and still looks good. On clothes I use it as a temporary fix until I get home, but for general gear, I use it for a long term fix. Good stuff...As a side note, you can get it at any camping/mountaineering store as well as KUIU.

29-Nov-15
Sorry Cory, memory not as good as once was and was very afraid I may have missed a new product:)

29-Nov-15
Plain and simple, puffey's aren't "quiet". With that said, the Kenai is quieter than most due to the material it is made of. That same material will not repel water as well as the Uncompahgre but most of these don't really shine in the water repellency department either.

29-Nov-15
Are you saying the Uncompahgre does shine in water repellency?

29-Nov-15
Last year when I read this thread, I purchased the Cabelas jacket due to the price. For 30 bucks it's been an awesome mid-layer.

29-Nov-15
No, none of them really shine in "water repellency". But, IMO it breaks the wind and repels water better than the Kenai. (And it is warmer)

30-Nov-15
Trying to read between the lines, out of the 20+ puffys you have, I gather your top 3 are: the Kenai, the Uncompahgre, and the Sitka Kelvin Down Ultralight. Of the three, you can only have one, Which is it?

30-Nov-15
Chief...You are correct! In order:

1. Sitka Kelvin Down Ultralight 2. First Lite Uncompagre

The Kenai is actually in a little different class IMO. The Kenai is one of the only jackets I can actively hike in comfortably, but not as warm or wind resistant as any of the others. It also doesn't compress as well as most.

30-Nov-15
Just ordered the Kenai. $135 shipped!

Will likely use my Scheels gift cards to get a Sitka Kelvin Ultra.

01-Dec-15
great review.

I have a Kuiu black superdown with hood (I got it on ebay for a decent price as most wouldn't want black) and I use it for my all around winter jacket around town and then as a underlayer for hunting.

I wore it yesterday and put my first lite Chugah ASAT over it for camo to quiet it down. I got snowed on about 3 inches and stayed warm in pretty wet snow.

I agree with the durability issue. I caught the jacket on a little screw in my folks screen door and tore a hole in it pretty good. That goat tuff tape works great though for repairs.

I then played in the snow with my 11 year old and did some shoveling with it and I was drenched inside afterwards like you said from the lack of breathability if you really move with it on.

Sounds like the First light Uncompagre would be another good addition one day.

01-Dec-15
I too bought the Kenai during last week's sale. Read this thread forward and backward before making my decision. Wanted some lightweight added warmth to wear under my Sitka 90% shell while hiking. Came down to the Kenai or the Uncompagre...and the Kenai at 30% off was too good to pass up.

I most certainly appreciate your comprehensive, unbiased equipment reviews Cory!

01-Dec-15
I bought a Kuiu Superdown vest last year and really liked it, so this year I just picked up a Superdown jacket as well. I was going to wear it last night for a sit in a whitetail stand, but it seems really noisy under a wool jacket.

Is there any outer layer that works well with the Superdown to quiet it down? Late season whitetails around here don't tolerate any noise what-so-ever. I might be able to get away with it on a windy day, but as the wind lays down toward dusk I don't think this will work.

I like the idea of a packable puffy, but I need something that is quiet under an outer layer. This one might have to go back.

01-Dec-15
Why the change away from the kuiu superdown? You seemed to be real high on it early this year. Is it because the sitka is so much better or did you start to experience problems? Are you still using the SD pants? Thanks!

01-Dec-15
Nothing wrong with SD, except that it is probably the most "fragile" of the bunch and a little noisier than most. I like the Sitka outer shell better and I like the idea of combining down and primaloft. The Sitka also does a little better job at moisture management. (Probably due to the primaloft)

As far as the pants go, same issue. My KUIU SD pants were shredded after an Ak sheep hunt and I only used them glassing a couple times and around the tent.. I'm still torn on puffy pants as the SD pants are super light, very packable and warm. The Sitka Kelvin pant is more durable, primaloft instead of down, but heavier and not as packable. Where weight is at a premium, the SD are great. Otherwise, I'd pick the Sitka pant. I should also mention these are the only two puffy pants I've ever used.

03-Dec-15
My KUIU Kenai arrived in the mail today.

Cory's advice about going one size larger than normal was spot on for this jacket. I'm 6'-0" and 210lbs. Normally wear an XL jacket, but the Kenai in 2XL is just right.

Gotta love Bowsite!

03-Dec-15
These reviews are correct. Order a size up. I just got my kuiu guide jacket, ordered a large (usually float between a medium and large). Its still slightly tight in the shoulders. Though I had a shirt and thick sweat shirt on. Body wise it fits great.

04-Dec-15
I just got my Guide and Super Down Vest. At 6' 200 I usually take a L or XL and got the XL in both. The vest is fine but boy I wish I had a little more room under the arms and a couple more inches around the waist in the Guide Jacket. This jacket would never fit anyone with a beer belly thats for sure. Quality on the guide jacket is great. Still not sure how that thin vest will keep me warm but I guess we will see.

04-Dec-15
Just wandering something, I found a Clearance on Browning's version of the "puffy" Primaloft jacket. It is a Hell's Canyon version. Being for $49, I bought the dang thing.

It arrived in a self contained stuff sack. It was about the size of a large grapefruit. I was like what? I pulled it out of the sack and that thing blew up like a balloon. It is DANG warm fellas. Real nice fit too. It did need sizing up as the cut was fitted. So, I got the XXL.

I have problem with sizing through my shoulders and it worked great. I put it on with a layer of medium weight minus 33 Wool against the skin, a Polar tec medium weight shirt pull over, A wool button up, a down vest and the jacket as the outer layer. Glad I did size up but, still had good room. It actually fit very nicely with all this under it and was snug cut enough to not droop. it holds tight but not restricting. I got room for my Gore Tex Shell over top too. In other words, I'm pretty dang pleased here guys.

So, how does this Browning "Puffy" jacket rate against these really high dollar ones. I was looking on line for the First Lite when I came across this one. Being I'm tired of packing heavy, bulky clothes lashed to my pack 8-10 miles a day, I'm GOING to go the tech route to get the weight down and, still have the warmth.

So, am I missing out here. Are the Sitka's, First Lite, KUIU stuff really that much better? Are the worth the money to a whitetail hunter that hunts wilderness areas on daily walk in, walk out affairs? Or should I stick with the Hell's Canyon versions? Honestly, I really don't know. But, I really like this PrimaLoft jacket and, will say if the rest of their system is this good, how can the others be that much better?

All comments appreciated. I sure hope there is another frugal guy out there that has done this too and can advise me. God Bless men

04-Dec-15
WV, you can't beat that price if you like it and it does what you want.

05-Dec-15
WV, it was probably the same price as all those others to begin with. Just not the fancy name. Agreed with midwest, if you like it and it works, its perfect. Where did you get such a good deal? My 1st pirmaloft jacket came from Kings Camo for 39.99 when they were clearing out the russell apx line. I did just buy a Kuiu Kenai and it is slightly quieter and I do love the pit zips.

05-Dec-15
It is important to differentiate between whitetail hunting and walking style hunting. This thread seems to be talking both styles of hunting so there's confusion. Sitka has a complete line of gear specially for whitetail hunting and I don't see anything close on any other high end brands. From warm September whitetail hunts to high winds and frigid cold in Illinois in January they have me covered!

On the flip side for walking style hunting some of the other high end brands have great stuff!

05-Dec-15
Well, Charlie is right. However, most of my whitetail hunting is walking style. Or, at least a heck of a walk to get to the setting part of it.

I bought the jacket at Sierra Trading Post. Had it on Clearance. I just left their site before coming here and, I didn't check to see if they still had them. You might ought to go and check if you are interested as I am EXTREMELY pleased with this little jacket.

I hope you don't mind Kota but, here is a little review of the Browning "Puffy".

We went for a 3/4 day hunt in the wilderness area today. I didn't go in real deep due to my dad having to leave by 2:30. So, I hunted the mountain above the parking area. I climbed steadily for about 800 yards this A.M. before daylight to get into the benches. Steep terrain. Strenuous. But, that little jacket breathed so well.

I wore a mid weight wool, a heavy wool Button up from Cabela's, and that puffy jacket during the climb. When I stopped to await daylight, I was warm but, not sweating. Best thing is, I never had to break out the down vest on my sets. I was on a North east Aspect. So, very little sun exposure. No direct sunlight.

It was 22 degrees when I left the truck. It was 49 when I started it to leave at 2:30 this afternoon. Several miles mountain goating steep, thick, gullied terrain, back off and a 1.5 mile walk back up the forest service road to the truck. I never got hot enough to remove the jacket but, never even thought of getting cold. I set for an hour plus on several stops. Comfy cozy the whole time. I did get some sweat going when coming off the mountain but, my body stayed dry with the exception of where my pack had rode on my lower back.

When removing it at the truck, we went over it real good to see if vapor had built up on the inside. None. I rolled it up, put it in the little bag and dropped it in the pack for next time.

It is a little loud as an outside layer. Not bad but, in still cold air while bowhunting at close range, you'll want a fleece shell over it. But, it is a lot quieter than my Windshear stuff so, all in all, it isn't bad at all. Just a great little jacket for my uses.

God Bless

08-Dec-15
I bought a large KUIU Kenai on the 30% off sale and it was a little too small so I ordered a XL which I just received. The outer shell material seems different, it is not as soft as the large and is not as quiet. A friend bought the Large from me for the sale price. I am thinking of returning the XL as the noise difference is noticeable(primarily a whitetail hunter).I planned on using it as an outer layer on active hunts and as an insulation layer under a Sitka Stratus jacket. Their also is a major difference in the colors in the Vias camo pattern. I realize a different run of textile will often have slight color differences, but this is very noticeable (darker). Sorry no picture.

I doubt that many would have 2 Kenai jackets to compare outer shells, but if so anyone notice a change?

08-Dec-15
Received my Kenai yesterday. I normally wear a large and ordered a large. The fit is definitely athletic but fits me well....maybe because I'm athletic? :-) There is no binding whatsoever when drawing a bow.

The material seemed very quiet for a puffy. Mine is the gray. It should make a great mid-layer for hunting or to wear to town.

08-Dec-15
Mine is a large as well, In Verde camo. Very quiet material for a puffy. Mine is darker than my guide jacket. Both fit well in the shoulders. Infact the guide could even use a bit more room. Both could have about 3 inches out of the waist as well. Both still fit better than any other jacket I've ever owned...

21-Dec-15
kota-man,

I recently bought a Core 4 Element Elevation down puffy jacket, 700 fill power off Camofire. I was wondering if you ever had a chance to review that jacket?

I also recently bought a Kryptek Aquillo off of Camofire based on your comments here and Aron's review on Rokslide. When it arrived I was disappointed to see that it is 700 fill power rather than the 800 fill power as indicated here and in Aron's review. Do you know if there were two models of the Aquillo?

I haven't tested either jacket yet but the Core 4 Element jacket is quite a bit puffier than the Kryptek and I think I like it better although it does not have a hood whereas the Kryptek does.

21-Dec-15
I've never owned anything Core4. I am not aware of two different versions of the Aquillo. I'm still wearing my "Yeti" version for coyote hunting and still liking it.

22-Dec-15
Thanks kota-man.

Apparently there are two versions of the Aquillo...

17-Jan-16
I too just finished my late season Illinois deer hunting and the Sitka layering system including the Kelvin pants, jacket, Fanatic Bibs and Fanatic jacket did it all with warth and comfort. The bibs are amazing for keeping the core warm. Sitka Gear has a specific line designed for whitetail deer hunters and allows complete movement and function while drawing the bow in very cold temps and wind. The majority of my cold weather hunting is for whitetails so I want a system designed for my type of hunting. C

17-Jan-16
FYI....I have the KUIU Teton insulated jacket. I love it. Very warm. Very comfortable. No weird fit. Very quiet and very light. Really like it and priced right.

17-Jan-16
First Lite has a great sale going right now as well.

17-Jan-16
Have we decided which is quieter the First Lite or Kenai

08-May-16
Bringing this one up for Mark...

09-May-16
Atta boy Kota!

My morning "coffee read!"

Mark

09-May-16
FYI Mark...A year and a half later, and my two "go to" puffy's are the Sitka Down Ultra Lite and the First Lite Uncompagre.

09-May-16
Love my First Lite Uncompahgre as well:) Their vest in the same thickness and weight and is pretty slick too. Great thread.

09-May-16
I love my FL Uncompahgre whose purchase was primarily based on this thread. Kota - thanks!

18-Feb-17

Aubs8's Link
Thank you for all of the information above!

I have been looking for deals on the FL Uncompahgre for a couple of weeks and hadn't pulled the trigger.

Today, I found the Sitka Kelvin Ultra Lite (Med, Lg) for $144.50 shipped. Please see the attached link.

Have at it. :)

18-Feb-17
The First Lite Cirrus has been an incredible jacket this year. I bought an extra jacket as liked it that much for work, football games etc. I prefer over the Umcomphagre.

18-Feb-17
I agree Eyad. I did the same! Bought a brown one first and liked it so well, I bought a black one to wear around town. I'm still loving the Sitka Kelvin Ultra Lite as well. Currently own the FL Cirrus, FL Uncompaghre and Sitka Kelvin Ultra. Use them all spending on the weather/conditions.

18-Feb-17
Just picked up a Kenai hooded jacket based on this thread. Good so far for light hiking around near freezing. Also a bought a Kuiu Peleton 240 hoody.

Kota, have you or are you going to do a pants review for the newer offerings. I'm sorting clothing and ditching some of the older stuff. I'll keep my old Sitka bibs, vest and 90% jacket and pants. But I'm looking for some pants for early mid season mountain hunting in northern BC. The Kuiu Chinook pants have waterproof knee patches which would be a big bonus. Seems the ground is always quite damp here.

Or are there other options you'd care to suggest?

18-Feb-17
Aubs8, thanks for the link, that's a great deal!

18-Feb-17
I did a "pant review" somewhere a year or so ago. (More than likely either here or Rok.). The Chinooks were one of my favorite pants, along with the Sitka Mountain and Timberlines.

18-Feb-17
Cory, which of those 3 is warmest? I have the Kuiu hooded superdown and would potentially upgrade for something warmer but still packable for backpacking. I've also got a FL Uncompaghre for brush busting but it heavier and less packable.

18-Feb-17
Matt...The Super Down is warm and packable, but I prefer the finish on the Kelvin Ulta Lite. IMO, the Kelvin Ultra is as warm as the Super Down, but is not available with a hood. The warmest jacket of the bunch is the Sitka Kelvin Down Hoodie, but it is even more jacket than the Uncompaghre and in my size is not really packable at all.

19-Feb-17
Thanks

19-Feb-17
PUFFY?!?! Nothing new! Back in the 50's they were called insulated underwear.

19-Feb-17
Cory- have you ever checked out the western mountaineering flash jacket. It's 10 oz has a hood. 850 fill down.

I picked one up for cheap years back. Wondering how it would compare to the Sitka ultralight

19-Feb-17
I haven't seen one in person, but it looks like a great jacket. Anything WM is usually awesome. Does it compress pretty small?

19-Feb-17
Yea compresses pretty small. Thinking about picking up the Sitka. But might not be worth it because they might be about the same

19-Feb-17
A new twist, how about Puffy pants that are meant to put on over your pants. Three that come to mind are Kryptek Kratos, Pnuma insulator and First Lite is coming out with the Uncompaghre puffy pant. The Pnuma and First Light are full length zips. My main interest would be to put on after reaching ones stand, and for glassing.

19-Feb-17

19-Feb-17
Cocoon Man...KUIU and SItka also make a "puffy" pant, along with a number of non hunting companies. I've used the KUIU Super Down and Sitka Kelvin and Kelvin LIte Pants. The KUIU are down, the Sitka Synthetic. The Sitka are much more durable but not as packable. The KUIU, though very fragile pack up into a nice small package.

19-Feb-17
Sitka ultra kelvin down is available on Camofire today. After this review thread, I got me one

19-Feb-17
They are still available for $144.50 at above link.

19-Feb-17
I haven't seen it yet, but First Lite has an Uncomphagre down pant coming out this spring/summer.

19-Feb-17
Should have read the whole thread!

However, I was able to cancel my Camofire order and order at the above link. Saved me $30 because free shipping!

24-Feb-17
I bought one of the Sitka jackets off of Camofire. The sleeves are about 3" too long and the body of the jacket is 3" too short - barely reaches my waist. No Bueno.

24-Feb-17

kota-man's embedded Photo
kota-man's embedded Photo
But not everyone has your physique Matt...

25-Feb-17

Aubs8's Link
First Lite Cirrus deal

Black $115 Camo $136

Free shipping

25-Feb-17
I have 42 in chest. The Sitka Kelvin Down Ultralight in L is a little tight in the shoulder/armpit area as most of their stuff is with me...But not uncomfortable.

Cirrus in L fits much more comfortably and a bit roomier...I can actually comfortably wear KDUL under the Cirrus.

25-Feb-17
I pulled my superdown out, and while the 2 jackets surprisingly have almost the same dimensions based on laying one on top of the other, the bottom edge of the Sitka rides ~2.5" higher than my Kuiu. The Sitka barely covers my pant snap whereas the Kuiu covers about 1/2 down my zipper.

The Kuiu is ~3/4 oz. lighter even with the hood. The Sitka's exterior material is quite a bit louder but feels like it would be more durable.

26-Feb-17
I also have a 42 chest and am pretty long wasted and the size large Sitka ultra down fits me pretty well. No, it doesn't go down as far as I like a parka to go, but it comes down about 2" below the top of my pants. I foresee stuffing this in my daypack and putting it on when I get somewhere to sit or if the weather turns colder. I think 90% of the time, it will be used as a middle layer or under my raingear. And as middle layer, I don't really want it to be long. I am 6 ft 195 lbs and the fit was comfortable. Not too tight or too loose. I like a slightly snug fit for something like this. And the sleeves were just right for me

26-Feb-17
Thanks for the review. I am going to pull your boot review up . Have you also done a pack review?

26-Feb-17
Pack review was "5 Hunts 5 Packs" or something like that...

26-Feb-17
Thanks I just finished reading it . And thanks again for the info . With the cost of top end gear it is nice to have a direction to start with .

27-Feb-17
Matt's hair is different.....

27-Feb-17
"I pulled my superdown out, and while the 2 jackets surprisingly have almost the same dimensions based on laying one on top of the other, the bottom edge of the Sitka rides ~2.5" higher than my Kuiu. The Sitka barely covers my pant snap whereas the Kuiu covers about 1/2 down my zipper."

I got my jacket on Friday. Usually I wear a Medium, but I'm 6'1 so stuff can be slightly short at the waist. That being said, the Sitka coat was like a teeny-bopper midriff shirt on me! Sent it back for the Large immediately...

22-Nov-18
Wanted to update this thread. How do the newer style puffy's now stack up with this review?

22-Nov-18
kota-man is the licensed, certified, official consumer report evaluator for all bowhunting related products. He leads the way with total seriousness.

When a product is better, rest assured he will post his official evaluation of the product. Until then we must assume that his latest evaluation is the greatest product.

22-Nov-18
There you go Dirk! As far as an update goes, I’m still rocking the Sitka Down Ultra, the Kelvin Lite, the FL Unpronoucable and most recently the new Sitka Kelvin WS. The new Kelvin is very nice but it’s a lot of jacket. Almost too much to pack on a mountain hunt. The KUIU Ultra stuff is one of the best for warmth to weight ratio. I really like the Kelvin Lite for its versatility. Warm enough to sit in and breathable enough to hike in when it’s really cold. Looking forward to see what’s new for ‘19.

22-Nov-18
I must have been living in a cave or under a rock, for a long time. But, WTH is a puffy jacket? Lol

23-Nov-18
Great review. Kryptek quality is substandard, mountaineering brands can be had cheaper on sale but are noisy. But for the intended purpose of packability and putting on while resting it shouldn’t be an issue. Buy solid colors so it can be used on the street without looking like a tool. I like the idea of two different weights and sizes for layering. After a tough climb remove your wet shirt and pull out your dry one and puffy while the sweated up one dries in the wind. Or tie it on your pack to change out later. Works great just like fresh socks

23-Nov-18

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo

23-Nov-18
My name is Kota and I am a puffaholic. Lol

I bought a simple Cabelas down puffy because it was on sale. It compresses down very nicely and serves it’s purpose very well. It’s the only one I’ve ever bought and I’m good.

23-Nov-18
I'm looking for one for backcountry hunting. Would like the ability to wear it while hiking in cool, cold temps (breathable). Would like it to be quiet, as to wear it as an outer layer. Would like it to be slim enough to fit under a rain shell when needed. And want it to be light.... Does such exist?

23-Nov-18
I've been hunting mountain whitetail in Montana for the last couple of weeks with low temps in the single digits and low teens. Been using Kuiu kenai jacket and a Kuiu super down pro. The Kenai works great as long as I was active. I would hit a spot that I wanted to sit and watch for a bit and would add the super down over the kenai. The system works better than anything I've used in the past. Putting on that super down pro is like climbing into a oven and it weighs next to nothing.

23-Nov-18
Kota, I think you need to throw the First Lite Chamberlin into your mix...

23-Nov-18
Surfbow...That Jacket looks like a BEAST of a jacket. I have a feeling it is awesome but a bit bulky much like the super warm Sitka offerings.

23-Nov-18
You're right, it's a little bulky but it's incredibly warm, it's a far better coat than the Uncompaghre.

23-Nov-18
I’m about to pull the trigger on a Kuiu Super Down Pro. A true insulating piece at 13.6 ounces sounds almost too good to be true.

23-Nov-18
The KUIU puffy’s are CRAZY light for their warmth.

23-Nov-18
Its amazing how many posts are on this subject,,pretty popular! The biggest problem I have with most puffies is they are somewhat noisy plus they don't appear to be made of very hefty outer material. I regularly wear a vest as an outside layer. It's nice to have material that's quiet and holds up when hiking through thick brush. A vest is often a lot easier to shoot a bow than a thick jacket with bulky material on the arms.

With those things in mind I decided to try a Sitka Fanatic vest. It's tough to beat berber for quiet. The fanatic also has windstopper plus primloft and a very nice selection of pockets plus a handwarmer pouch. If you are a bowhunter and prefer not to wear gloves you will likely appreciate the pouch. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

23-Nov-18
I do like my Kuiu Super Down vest but did not like the Jacket as much. The Kenai was great but they discontinued it unfortunately.

23-Nov-18
Tony Z, KUIU still shows the Kenai "Ultra" with or without a hood online? Not sure if that is the piece you reference or if the Ultra is a lighter weight version of a Kenai.

I like my 3 or 4 yr old Superdown hooded Puffy and the 8 year old Spindrift jacket that was later replaced by the Kenai. I even layer the two for super cold weather on occasion. The Superdown is excellent for glassing and the Spindrift for more active wear. Add in a Peloton 240 hoody and you can deal with a huge variety of conditions from July/August sheep hunts to late season hunting by wearing one, two or three of the pieces over a base layer, plus adding Chugach rain gear as required or for a top layer wind break.

24-Nov-18
Kurt...The "Ultra" is the new Super Down, not the new Kenai. As popular as it was, I would think they would come back with something similar to the Kenai soon. They do have a jacket in solid colors similar in make up to the Kenai but maybe a little thinner called the "Versa". I was bored this morning and have had some PM's regarding "real world" weights of these jackets, so I weighed all of the "puffy's" I currently still have (all are XL or XXL):

Sitka Kelvin: 23 oz

Sitka Kelvin WS: 30 oz

Sitka Kelvin Lite: 20 oz.

Sitka Kelvin Down Ultra: 12 oz.

Sitka Kelvin Original: 14 oz.

Kryptek Aquillo: 16 oz.

Mountain Hardware: 18 oz.

Kifaru Lost Parka 1/4 Zip: 25 oz.

First Lite Uncompagre: 22 oz.

First Lite Cirrus: 15 oz.

Most of the KUIU SD/Ultra's come in at under 10 oz. For sheep/mountain hunting I like my Puffy to be 12 oz. or less. Granted, when you go up in weight, you are going up in warmth. For me the key is finding the best weight to warm ratio. Of the one's I own, the Kelvin Down Ultra fits that well as do the KUIU jackets. Three pieces are critical for me on an August sheep hunt: Sitka Kelvin Down Ultra, Sitka Heavyweight Hoodie and the Sitka Dewpoint Rain jacket. I can handle about any early season conditions with these three pieces. (In a KUIU set up it would be the Ultra, Peloton 97 Hoodie and the Chugach)

24-Nov-18
Sivart I don’t think any puffy serves your purpose. They aren’t for hiking. They are something you pull out to retain heat after you’ve been hiking or when you get to a stand site.

If you put a puffy on under a rain shell and hike you may burst into flames!

24-Nov-18
I agree with Mule. The jacket you are looking for is like a Kelvin Active or Kenai or Patagonia Nano Air. These are Active insulation jackets. (For those that like the Kenai, but can’t find one the Patagonia Nano Air is very similar)

24-Nov-18
I guess I'm a little old fashion in regard to "puffies"! I often hike with a shirt plus "puffy" vest on. How many guys sweat while hiking and end up getting their jackets soaking wet on their hike into glassing locations? If the wind is howling and it's super cold I'll add a jacket to my vest. It's a little backwards to how most of the posters above are using their layers!

Pretty much all my jackets have pitzips in them. Depending upon the conditions...if it's too cold for a vest while hiking I'll often open my pitzips so I don't get wet from the inside out. Another thing I do to prevent getting wet while hiking is to untuck my shirts from my pants for better ventilation. Sometimes it's just a matter of changing things up and thinking outside the box from the "norm! "

Nothing is really set in stone....so yes there are great ways to use puffies while hiking! The trick is to figure out the best scenerio for your particular weather conditions, body chemistry, and hunting style. The more layers you have available the better chance you'll figure out what is most comfortable.

24-Nov-18
Travis, I bought the Sitka Jetstream yesterday for that purpose. I wanted a wind stop replacement for the 90% that I've used for about 10 years. The light puffy I have, Kryptek Kratos, just doesn't get used very much at all. The "light puffy" idea was better on paper than actual use for me.

24-Nov-18
To avoid confusion when I say “puffy”, I’m talking about a jacket pulled out of your pack while you take a break from hiking as defined in the very first post of the thread. IMO, an “Active Insulation” piece is a totally different animal.

24-Nov-18
I almost never hike with a puffy of any kind. They are for when you get still.

Noticed the other day that on my last 3 mountain hunts (2 sheep, mountain goat) I was wearing only my 1/4 zip base layer top when all three animals were taken.

24-Nov-18
Well my "Puffy" is an insulation piece as well as something I put on for additional warmth when stopped.

24-Nov-18
KUIU shows a Kenai Ultra hooded for $219 or no hood for $199 when I looked at their jackets a minute ago. US $ pricing.

24-Nov-18
I could never wear my puffy while hiking. It’s way to warm for that. I do like to wear a Softshell though. If I warm up I just open the vents.

Once I get to a glassing spot I will pull the puffy out of the pack.

24-Nov-18
There you go, the new Kenai IS out...Thanks Kurt.

26-Nov-18
Isn’t it a new world!?

This morning, sitting in the bush in a blind, I got the Cyber Monday deal on the Kuiu Ultra Down hooded jacket. The regular price in Canadian dollars is $465. On sale for $375 on Friday, but not the solid colours, so I didn’t buy one. This morning, $278.

Watching for deer and shopping at the same time. I’m sixty five years old and if even ten years ago you’d a told me this would happen, I would have laughed and said “don’t think so”.

• Sitka Gear