bb 19-Feb-15
4406v 19-Feb-15
Fuzzy 19-Feb-15
bb 19-Feb-15
Fuzzy 20-Feb-15
Trial153 20-Feb-15
BLACKBEAR 20-Feb-15
15-Feb-15
Looking to go on a moose hunt in fall 2015 in Newfoundland or east coast. I will be driving from pa. Does anyone have any suggestions? I talked with a few outfitters at the Harrisburg show this past week. Pricing seems to average $4500 give or take a few hundred.

Has anyone gone on one of these hunts recently?

Thanks

15-Feb-15
birddog I went in 2012 had a blast I went with ocean side country lodge it was about 4200 seen lots of moose

15-Feb-15
if you book birddog try for 1st week of oct good week for calling

15-Feb-15
if you book birddog try for 1st week of oct good week for calling

15-Feb-15
What about the early bow only season which is two weeks early sept. No worry about rifle hunters?

15-Feb-15
were I went you don't see any other hunters if you go early might be to hot look up his web page his name is hazzen I met him and his wife at the hunting show great family.

15-Feb-15
Thanks

If anyone has any other outfits they would recommend please let me know

Anyone have any info on Roberts outfitting?

15-Feb-15
If you want a good bow hunt do a lot of research, ask the outfitters a lot of questions. I had a bad experience last year with an outfitter and I wish I had done things a lot differently . This year I'm going with Conne River during the bow only season. They are fly in and little more expensive but after talking with them I really think I made a good decision going with them.

16-Feb-15
check out Buck Lake Adventures

16-Feb-15
Ironbound. Helicopter flight in, great guides and they kill a lot of moose.

I would also not shy away from flying if time is precious (i.e. you are not retired). I flew and drove from Boston area. I would never drive again until I was retired. Flight was so easy it was almost like 2 different trips.

It was an easy flight for me when I lived in Boston. You can your moose delivered to a big city near you.

A lot of guys drive but wanted you to know flying is an option as well if you were thinking about it.

18-Feb-15
sage the big city near boston to get your meat was Colby new York 5hr drive 90.00 a box for meat transpotation 1,000 for flight 75.cents per pound for butcher,it easy to fly but cost a lot more I went in 2012

19-Feb-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
I got my bull in early archery season (9/2/10). In my opinion it doesn't matter when you go if you have a guide that gets you way back in the bush.

As mentioned Conne River has the Dolland Pond archery moose only fly in hunt! Here is a picture from the lodge above where the float plane lands! Good luck! C

PS: I would never go any other way than by driving!

19-Feb-15
Take a good look at Effords and Moose Valley.

19-Feb-15
Blackbear they dropped my meat off in Boston - they just added Boston to their route.

The flight on the surface seems expensive if you aren't flying from Boston but not that much more when you take into account ferry, gas, time lost and wear-n-tear. Matter a fact I bet it's not much more.

It depends what your situation is but I highly recommend flying if you aren't retired or have time to slow down and take a few days to get there.

19-Feb-15
SageBuffalo, that's true, I spent a close to a grand on travel, counting the ferry, gas, motel, food and meals (I only ate 5 restaurant meals in the roundtrip 5 driving days, and the outfitter bought one of those)

flying would've been cheaper

19-Feb-15
I want to be clear that the drive is absolutely beautiful. If I were retired I would take several days to get there. Stop to fish the Miramachi, enjoy lobster from Nova Scotia, take the ferry and see the island.

I am an executive with a busy schedule, a father with 2 young kids and a wife. Every day I burn traveling is a day taken away from hunting and family. So I minimize traveling as much as possible.

Now when I am old like Charlie (haha - just kidding Charlie) I won't mind driving and enjoying the trip up.

19-Feb-15
exactly. The drive was worth it for me, not married, kids grown, plenty vacation time

19-Feb-15
Here is the problem with flying. From a cost and time standpoint Boston is by far the best airport to fly from. In fact when I fly, I try to drive to Boston, 2.5 hours each way to fly from Boston. It's relatively easy from Boston, 50minutes to Halifax, Relatively short layover, 1 hour to ST Johns Then Gander then Deer Lake or Deer Lake then Gander. If I fly from Hartford, 45 minutes each way, Rates are generally 800-1000 dollars, I'm routed all over the countries of US and Canada. depending on the airlines, often it would be close to the same time to drive. Depending on the airline, I could go to Newark first, then to Toronto, Often the layovers extend to the next day. They all seem to route through Halifax, sometimes via Montreal first, Deal with Luggage in Montreal...that's another sweet story. Bottom Line It's not a great destination to fly into unless you are originating in Boston. It cost me about as much to drive as to fly when it's all said and done but there is very little time savings and driving gives you the additional flexibility.

If you are originating from another part of the US, Driving would be tough and is probably in most cases, not the better option but not necessarily from the Northeast

19-Feb-15
Get a group together and make the drive. If you split the expenses your costs to drive and the ferry etc. will be less than $500 apiece.

The drive was one of the many great experiences of the trip. Beautiful scenery and quite the journey. It took us 3 days and 1850 miles of driving , the ferry ride , and the float plane ride to get to moose camp.

Take the time, smell the roses!!!

19-Feb-15
geez bb if I hadda go to Boston to get there, I'd just stay home! even y'all Connecticut Yankees are bad enough! lol

19-Feb-15
Fuzzy, you just got the tip of the iceberg

20-Feb-15
not even the tip bb, not even the tip ...lol

20-Feb-15
I am taking my father in Oct 2016, he is flying into Albany from Dallas...from there we will drive up. the extra time with him will be well spent.

20-Feb-15
HEY GUYS JUST GOT BACK FROM HUNTING SHOW IN SPRING FIELD MA,SHOW IS GETTING SMALLER AND SMALLER EACH YEAR, THE FEW GUIDES I TALKED TO BELIEVE DRIVING IS THE WAY TO GO.THERE ARE LOTS OF HUNTERS THAT MISS THERE FLIGHTS DUE TO CUSTOMS OR LOST LUGGAGE.TRY TO GO WITH 3 HUNTERS TAKE TURNS DRIVING SPLIT GAS,FERRY PRICES. WELL YOUR THERE MOOSE HUNTING YOU CAN GET A BLACK BEAR TAG FOR $500.00 THAT IS WORTH THE DRIVE.A BLACK BEAR HUNTS GO BETWEEN $2000 AND $2,500 IN NEWFOUNDLAND.LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE DRIVING OCT 2016.

• Sitka Gear