Joehunter 24-Feb-15
MS Bowman 24-Feb-15
Halibutman 25-Feb-15
12yards 25-Feb-15
bowhunter 26-Feb-15
Cheesehead Mike 26-Feb-15
buckchsr 26-Feb-15
22-Feb-15
Elk Hunting, or hunting in the West doesn't have to be expensive. I think a lot of people think they need some high end gear to get it done. 1000 dollar packs, 400 dollar rain gear, 30 dollar hats you get the picture. I will go out on limb here and say if you’re from the East, or operating on a budget, I bet you already have 90 percent of the stuff you will need to hunt elk or any other animal in the West. Keep in mind, the closer you hunt to a vehicle, the less you will need. Especially if you’re car camping or hunting from a big tent each day.

My pack is a badlands 2200. I bought it on E-bay some years ago for 99 dollars. I've used it for sheep, elk, deer, bears, etc. It’s an OK pack, a bit heavy empty but it works. My partners pack is a badlands Super day. To me the Super day is a bit small for packing in, but again, he makes it work. Does he get everything inside of it? No, but these packs were used to pack our camp and gear in for the week long hunt. Getting in is anything but a cake walk.

22-Feb-15
I think the biggest expense is the cost of the NR tag right now.

22-Feb-15

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo

22-Feb-15

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Sleeping bags, mine is an old Kelty from 2001 his, not sure. Either way, not high end at all. This is what I want to replace if anything as I’m do for a new one.

Tent, we’ve packed in a three man in the past, but this year we went with two separate tents. When big weather hits I don't like being that close.

22-Feb-15
Gear, He wears cotton camos that I gave him some time ago. He actually just upgraded last the last year or so with some wool camo pants. Me, I wear a pair of Cabelas Microtex pants that I bought about 10 years ago.I have two pairs and I don't think they make a tougher set of pants for the cost. They’re still going strong no matter how many elk, sheep, goats, I pack out. Cost was about 50 bucks at the time.

Note the cotton pants! I handed them down to him......

22-Feb-15
My biggest problem is finding a hunting partner that is like-minded. Most guys are hotel hunters. They can't sleep on the ground or go even one day without showering.

22-Feb-15
His upgraded pants along with some from a few years ago.

22-Feb-15

22-Feb-15

22-Feb-15
Ditto on the Microtex. I bought both pair I own in the bargain cave along with fleece shirts and base layers.

Your biggest expense should be the gas and tags.

22-Feb-15

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Our base layer consists of cotton and my high tech shirts that I bought from Target. They’re normally on sale for 4.99. I like the Synthetic.

My thermal layer is a brown long john top that is actually the best piece of gear I own. I need to find another just like it. It truly is an elk killer if you think about the color, you will understand why.

My outer layer is a a gray Colombia fleece jacket I paid 25 dollars for it. My only complaint is after 5 years with this jacket, the zipper broke and I took it to a seamstress, problem solved for under 3 dollars.

Famous target shirts

22-Feb-15

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Different blue, and some cotton.

22-Feb-15
Insulation layer, if more people wore this color, more elk would hit the dirt, I'm sure of it. That along with old Lou's elk hat, it would be banned.

22-Feb-15
Breaking camp this year.

22-Feb-15

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
This stuff is going down the hill, into his Badlands Super day rigged on a pack-frame along with the last hind quarter.

22-Feb-15

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Packs loaded, again, a cheap Badlands 2200, and a Super-day. 3 miles form the truck.

22-Feb-15
Cotton Kills........... Don't want to be caught in a storm wearing it. Wool keeps you warm even when wet. After a storm that dumped 10" rain driven by 100 kph sustained winds with gust' of 140 kph for over 40 hours non-stop, we were soaked but alive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzmBkafjFE

22-Feb-15

glass eye's Link

22-Feb-15
Packing out a bull............ Old blue on.

22-Feb-15
So...don't be intimidated by prices, gear, 6 month back orders, my pack is only 3000 CI, puffy's and hoochie mamas..... There has been a ton of elk and Western game killed without high tech gear. And there will be a ton more!

Oh, and cotton does kill....... Cotton pants........ Cotton shirts, cotton undies.... but I did have a brown poly pro shirt on.

Post them up guys!

22-Feb-15
Great thread, Caz! What about boots?

22-Feb-15
Chad, this is a great thread. But really, everybody knows you MUST have $500 underpants to kill elk.

I used to backpack all over the wilderness areas in CO and WY, for up to 14 days at a time, with a sheet of visqueen and a rope for a "tent".

We put together great dried meals from the grocery.

Goretex was decades from being invented.

The only camo choices were cotton and wool, mostly variations of woodland pattern. The term "high-tech" hadn't been invented yet. Pants were jeans and cotton shorts. I did buy a North Face uninsulated mountain parka 40 years ago, which I still have today.

My Jansport pack and frame would be laughable today (still have it, too). My Optimus 8R stove still works like a champ, but is a collector's item. I still have my 3/4 North Face eggshell pad (but have upgraded to a Thermarest 40th Anniversary retro model), and the Northface Superlight down mummy bag.

Our "raingear" was called a poncho, and it doubled as a ground cloth.

Somehow we survived, and I don't remember being uncomfortable at any time. Somehow we managed to kill elk then too. Amazing, huh?

22-Feb-15
Amen!

I agree. If you are from the east, you can do a western hunt for about $1000.

Of course, if you drive a V10 truck or cant handle roughing it, the money starts to add up, but it can be done.

The only thing stopping you is your level of ambition.

Last November I did a NE WT hunt which is comparable distance from me (southern California) as the west is from the east and I did the hunt for $600 door to door and brought back two deer. I hunted out of the back of a Honda Civic and stuffed my 162 qt cooler in the back, taking it out each night to sleep in the driver's seat.

Some wool clothing is worth the investment though. Even if you don't get the expensive stuff. It's more of a safety issue if it gets cold or wet.

I'll be doing 6 or 7 western hunts this year, paying for my dad's apps and single western hunt, replacing lost/broken/worn out gear, and 30+ apps for myself besides local deer and turkey hunting and I won't break 10 grand in expenses.

22-Feb-15
Great thread, gas is the biggest deal for me because i always drive my own truck.

I hunt a fair amount in my tan carhart work pants.

22-Feb-15
Lou, this kind of rain gear?

22-Feb-15

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Lou,

I'm convinced, when you're close, I mean inside the herd, this is the best camo pattern! I've had elk look at me, I turn my back on them, start pulling branches and volaaaaaaa....... Sadly, brown poly pro around Colorado seems to be out of stock...... Back ordered.

Oh....... Big Dan gave me that hat!

22-Feb-15
Midwest,

As for boots, guys know their feet. I can get away with flip flops, but if there is one thing a guy wanting to hunt the West needs....... It's broke in boots. I don't care what brand (I wore cheap Timberlands for years) but have since upgraded to Vasques. The boot brand matters little. The fit is key. I'd just assume forget my toothbrush for a 2 week hunt vs. bad boots.......

22-Feb-15
Cazador correct to a degree; at 9ne time gas was more expensive than tag. Some hunters may not feel old betsie is up to cross country travel.

I think you bring some realism to economics but there is no way that I could pack what was required on a multi day backpack hunt in Montana in a bad lands 2200. Frankly I sold one for $100 to a fellow bowsiter.

The best that I can hunt New Mexico is about $1500-$2000 with no hotels.

I would like to know if others could do it from the East much cheaper?

I will say that I could use your equipment for my New Mexico hunts.

22-Feb-15

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Here's a tip:

How to turn a $100 clearance 3 season tent into a $650 4 season tent for 5 bucks.

1) Stake your $100 clearance 3 season tent to the ground.

2) Put your stuff inside.

3) Place a 5 dollar 8x10 foot tarp over the tent.

4) Secure the tarp with 160-200 lbs of rocks (20-30 lbs each on each corner and in between on all 4 sides).

5) Sleep securely despite freezing temps and 50 mph winds.

Tarp doubles as a surface to process your animal.

I've done this more than once in winds that were so strong you had to lean into them to walk and once in Washington state where we endured 48 hours of torrential downpour without so much as a drop getting inside.

22-Feb-15
Rocky,

Explain the differences in MT? Is this an archery hunt? I don't pack light, and I can hunt for over a week out of a 2200 even with horrible weather including food and this year my buddy used a Super Day.

Sure the tag cost stinks, as does the gas and cost of travel, but as far as gear goes, most guys already have it. It seems everyone is so focused on gear these days they make it sound like nothing will die without X coat on, Y pants, etc.

I say put the keys in the truck and have at it!

22-Feb-15
Well done! Traveling alone is helpful too:) I have a cap on my Tacomo which allows me to go most any where. I Drive about 10k a year to hunt this North American paradise!

22-Feb-15

glass eye's embedded Photo
juacomo....... "My Jansport pack and frame would be laughable today (still have it, too)."

Me too !

22-Feb-15
People think they need two of everything and also bring a bunch of stuff they don't need.

Prior to finding hunting, I was a backpacker. I would do 2 week trips with 42-44 lbs (that's including pack wt and 1L water) and that was with a liter of scotch in a Nalgene bottle.

Guys do the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail - Mexico to Canada) in two week stints between resupplying and carry 25 lbs. They wear tennis shoes and replace them every 2 weeks to limit weight.

The hunting crowd could learn a thing or two from the backpacking crowd in terms of economics. You don't need the kitchen sink.

Yes, there's a bunch of things that can go wrong. So walk back to the truck if the SHTF and you (insert random thing that can go wrong like running out of batteries or losing your head light.)

To the eternally pessimistic planners, my track record is this: Over one year spent in the back country over the past 20 years and I've never hiked out early for any reason, most significantly, due to gear or lack thereof, ever.

22-Feb-15
Chad, I don't think our ponchos were that nice.

As far as the brown shirt, You betcha. I usually wear a really faded Mossy Oak Brush hoodie, which looks an awful lot like an elk. Wonder why that works? :-)

Ditto on the boots. Mine are whatever is on sale that fit the best.

22-Feb-15
Just about every piece of gear I own I have purchased at swapmeets.

22-Feb-15
I love it Caz! Great thread! When we started hunting DIY the west almost 30 years ago , we'd pack 3 or 4 of us in a pick up or suburban and start driving. Lots of word of mouth info, talk to a biologist, order paper topo maps, make a plan A, B and C....just keep working the "plan." Had hand me down sleeping bag, gun, pack boots and day pack. Felt damn good when I could buy a Cabelas Alaskan backpack!

Gas and tags were 70% of the cost of the trip.

Gun Killed 5 bulls and 4 cows in 12 years.....and firmly planted the seeds of western adventure!

Mark

22-Feb-15
Caz Extremely inspiring post. Last year I went on a drop camp hunt by Meeker Col. so this year Ive been planning a pack in hunt by my self. This post proves to me im on the right track. still trying to figure out which GMU to head too. any suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

22-Feb-15
Love the topic and couldn't agree more.

I'm a self admitted gear junkie but Chad is spot on that you don't need the latest and greatest to be successful out West. My brother (who happens to be 10x tougher than I am and also regularly kills bigger critters than I do) finally retired his 20+ year old Caleba's fleece pants that have been patched many times over and he added his own belt loops about 10-years ago. He was asking me about the Sitka's, Kuiu, First Light that I'm wearing, but I was sad to see him putting his old fleeces to bed...

I think I finally bought my first pair of new boots a couple years ago, before that it was whatever I could find at Cabela's or REI sidewalk sale.

22-Feb-15
Great thread! I have always done fine with cheaper things. One jacket of a certain upper brand costs as much as my entire hunting wardrobe. I think that if a person is even a tiny bit creative hundreds of dollars can be saved and one can still be outfitted just fine. High end 100% merino wool shirts and sweaters can be purchased on EBAY for a small fraction of the merino offered by hunting wear suppliers.

22-Feb-15
Heck Im so cheap I stretch pennies into copper wire :)

22-Feb-15
Now Brad, you sure you're not stretchin' it a little there!

22-Feb-15
Brad makes his own yoga pants out of moose game bags. I've seen 'em.

Disclosure: I did have a little Camofire problem a year ago before I quit work, when my old reliable wool pants were wearing thin and I upgraded base layers a little. Great deals.

23-Feb-15
I've got 3 or 4 merino wool shirts that I can constantly find at the goodwill while picking up clothes for the kids. I paid $6.00 ea for them. I purchased a core 4 element outfit from camofire last year as well but didn't even end up wearing the pants. Instead I wore a pair of Gander Mountain camo carpenter jeans I ALSO found at the goodwill for $6.00 looked new. I do enjoy my cabelas space rain jacket and pants. Still much cheaper than sitka or kuiu.

23-Feb-15
I have killed bunch of elk with out using any high money clothing. To this day I have more cotton camo than any other kind. Most states have the bow hunts in late aug to sept. A set of under armor top and bottoms are all I have ever needed I have hunted more days wearing a T shirt than a jacket.

23-Feb-15

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
This guy has probably killed as many bulls as Bigdan has and doesn't own a computer or a digital camera, has never heard of all the high dollar/tech gear. He is 50% hunter and 50% cowboy. It was raining most of the day and he made some gaiters... lol... hey they worked.

23-Feb-15
Ever hear the old saying. "He ain't smart enough to come in out of the rain"!

If cotton kills, it's only because you ain't smart enough to know when to put on your rain gear!

Most of my hunting gear comes from the second hand store or yard sales.

23-Feb-15
My wife and I went through all of our hunting gear last night to get things a bit more organized... I was in total shock at the amount of stuff I own that I haven't used in what seems like forever... I don't see myself buying much of anything for awhile unless it is truly needed.

23-Feb-15
"I don't see myself buying much of anything for awhile unless it is truly needed."

Nick, You know how it goes.....the human mind can justify any "need" it wants!

If the above quote is your mantra, I wonder what Kota-man's is?!

Mark

23-Feb-15
No kidding Nick, I need to purge a little also....

23-Feb-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Totally agree, although I'll admit I've got a few nice things. I upgraded my 20 year old backpack this year but it won't make me any more of a killer. I still don't own rain gear or a tent (I borrow one) and wouldn't have binos either if a friend didn't practically give some to me. I have friends come elk hunt every year for about 1200 door to door.

23-Feb-15
Your wife's yoga pants make great "base layers" and her nylons can make for light weight game bags....

23-Feb-15
I don't really count my gear, as I use almost all of it for way more days at home hunting deer, predators, scouting, etc.

I do have a decent tent and sleeping bag and pad

My first elk trip was in 2009, and I bought almost nothing for it. Had my whitetail boots and clothes, bought a $150 sleeping bag, a $100 pack, and a $25 bivy sack in the bargain cave at Cabelas. And bought a backpackers stove.

Bought the CO elk tag, and paid for half of the fuel cost from Missouri, and half of a $68 motel room on the way home. All in for less than $1000

Since then I've splurged on a tent, pack and a few other items that are specifically west-hunting related

But still, most of my western trips are well less than $1,000, depending mostly on distance, tag cost, and whether I get a motel room on the way home. Usually time my leaving home to drive straight through, but on the way home, usually won't drive through the night, and get a motel room to sleep

I tell people around home that they can be done awfully cheaply

Bake

23-Feb-15
One more note on this. . .

My brother, who is a non-hunter, is going to go elk hunting with me this fall. He'll tag along on the hunting part, as well as just relax in camp when he feels like it.

Unfortunately, he is of a size that second hand stuff is going to be non-existent. He's 6'8"

I told him not to spend a bunch of money, and if he did, to buy stuff with multiple uses.

For example, he has young kids. . . so I told him to just buy a cheap walmart tent that his kids would like. We are truck camping, so we'll have tarps, and can rig something up if it proves un-waterproof

Pants and shirts. . . I told him to buy khaki or dark green, or brown. Stuff he would wear while working outside, etc. Doesn't have to be camo

A good pair of tennis shoes, or hiking boots that he can also wear around working in the yard, etc. Doesn't have to be expensive mountaineering boots, just something well broke in.

Told him not to worry about an expensive sleeping bag, since we're truck camping, we can throw in a few old comforters for extra warmth for everybody if needed.

That's about all he'll need. He's excited about it.

23-Feb-15
Actually, it's not gear for me....I think I spend the most money on tags, gas, and incidentals going back and forth to hunts. Not to mention the cost of taking time off from work.

Gear is nothing. Also if you buy the best gear possible once.....you normally won't need anymore.

23-Feb-15
After 30+ years of hunting in hand me downs and army surplus wools. I can tell you gear today is over-rated. The army surplus is a great place to gear up on the cheap. I've spent a lot of time on my own in the mountains after moving here from the midwest and couldn't afford much. I still have wool pants and sweaters from many years ago. Maybe spent $75 and have hunted the absolute worst conditions in them.

I can tell you that you don't need much. Some waterproof boots a tag and your archery gear. Most of our kills are wearing a black hoodie and/or a t-shirt. I've used my old t-shirts as game bags. Usually at the beginning of season my pack is heavy ... as season goes on I start taking things out and lighten the load. Every year I try to upgrade one thing.. check places like camofire and cabelas bargain cave.

23-Feb-15
I can usually do the trip to CO for less than a grand, fuel included but I do use a toyota corolla....

I have purchased some decent gear over the years, but still wear some of my cheaper treestand gear, and my first elk hunt, I just threw my whitetail early season stuff(all cotton) and didn't have any problems.

23-Feb-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Great thread and I've often thought about starting a thread called "Budget Elk Hunting Gear"

I also like a good bargain when I can find one and so far have had a hard time justifying $1000 for a backpack.

A couple years ago I bought a Marine Corp surplus ILBE (Increased Load Bearing Equipment) pack off of eBay for $39. It's pictured here on the right next to my buddy Les's Kifaru. The ILBE pack is extremely well built and will handle 150lbs plus. It has a lot of very nice features and although it is heavier and won't compress as well and probably not as comforatable as the Kifaru it is by far the most comfortable backpack with a heavy load that I have ever used.

23-Feb-15

Here it is at about 70lbs loaded with 7-8 days worth of food and gear...

23-Feb-15
$800+ for tag and app, 3100 miles round trip to New Mexico equals $400 minmum gas, 4 days on the road x $50 = $200. Anyway I skin it, it cost $1400 to get there and back.

I normally get elk cut up and chilled for two day drive back home and I buy dry ice day one and day two $300+.

$100 dollars food while I am there.

OK, penny pinchers tell me where to save.

P.S. I do not own sitka or kuiu but I want kuiu rain gear and I the sitka kelvin jacket and bibs for cold weather stand hunting. I freeze on the stand and I typically hunt daylight to dark. My current down coat was bout in 1978...

23-Feb-15

Another great eBay deal is the Military surplus Molle frame that can be had for about $30. It has a great suspension with functional load lifters. I've used it the last couple years as a meat hauler and it's way more comfortable than my old external frame. Last year I took the meat shelf off of my old external frame and added it to the Molle frame and now it works even better.

This fall I hauled out 2 deer stands, climbing sticks, all my clothes, boots, bow, etc. for about 3 miles and when I got to my truck I weighed it and it was 85 pounds. It was heavy but the it carried the weight well.

Here's a photo of my Molle frame with a Lone Wolf sit and climb stand strapped to it.

23-Feb-15
Rocky D,

What are spending $50 per day on the road on? I never count the cost of food I buy because I have to eat no matter where I am. You could pack food from home if you want to save a few bucks.

I've slept in my truck or camper many times to save the cost of a motel when I've been solo. But when you have two guys or more it's worth having a room if you can split costs.

I've never needed or bought dry ice. Cut up your elk yourself or at least break it down to the larger muscles and skip the dry ice and save $300.

23-Feb-15

My Spartan camp. Washed up with solar shower.

23-Feb-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
When I travel the dollar menu at MC Donalds gets hit hard I spend about $15 for three meals .I have my own drinks. I have a freighter pack I got for $30 twenty five years ago that has hauled many, many elk. And I take my popup camper. I also have a wall tent I set upfor a cook shack.

23-Feb-15
Please keep in mind, the price of the TAG is a given, as is getting here. What i'm trying to bring to light is one doesn't need a 300 dollar pair of pants, a 400 dollar rain jacket, a 600-800 tent, a 500 dollar sleeping bag to kill a flipping animal out here.

Basic stuff every WT hunter has will get them through most if not all trips.

If you look at this site as of late, it's all Brand X, Brand Y type discussions which is great, and some people have really put time an effort in giving reviews which will save guys alot of money. Thats one of the great thing about this site.

My motivation on this is to let guys know that there are plenty of guys out here killing stuff with low end stuff.

Here is my Elk outer layer. Sorry, it's a deer. Same hat when it gets cold. Just fixed that zipper but I'm sure we've all seen these cheap Colombia specials in every store. Talk about quiet.

23-Feb-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
cook shack inside

23-Feb-15

Here's my very mobile camp that I sometimes use to sleep when I'm on the road or when I haven't decided yet where I want to set up a basecamp or spike in.

It's just a shelf in my topper with a vinyl pad from some patio furniture and a sleeping bag. It's actually pretty comfortable.

23-Feb-15
"OK, penny pinchers tell me where to save."

An elk tag in ID, CO, or WY will cost you about $600.

Borrow a car that gets 35mpg and your gas bill drops to $200.

Like I said, I just brought two deer back from NE in a Honda Civic and an elk will fit in the same setup.

My NE trip I ate out twice, slept in my car coming, during, and going, and spent less than $150 on food for the entire trip (6 hunting days, 2 travel days).

Total cost: $950 for a DIY elk hunt from GA. My deer hunt was less due to tag price.

Now, if you choose to spend more on a tag in NM, that's totally understandable, but it's still a choice. A $50 PP this year will give you good odds at a $600 General tag in WY next year with roughly the same trophy quality as all but about 5 zones in NM.

Still, you're going to burn your savings if you take a full size truck.

23-Feb-15

For cookstove and pot for boiling water you don't need to spend much. Here's a $10 Esbit stove and the pot and cup from an aluminum Coleman mess kit. You can buy the entire mess kit for less than $10 but all I carry is the pot and cup. Mine is old and came with a plastic cup but the new ones come with an aluminum cup. It's probably less than 1 oz. heavier than titanium and way cheaper.

23-Feb-15

Here's a roomy and comfortable shelter I made out of a $25 nylon tarp with a piece of tyvek for a floor.

23-Feb-15
I hunted Idaho for 13 years out of my Montana camp hunting the border Both have seasons open at the same time. One day I shot a bull in Montana then 1/2 hour later killed another bull in Idaho about 200 yds away from my Montana bull. It took me 1/2 the day to get both bulls hauled out alone . That makes a multi state elk hunt cheep. Chad I have about 10 POW deer and bear kills with that same hat on. Tree Bark polor fleece.

23-Feb-15
Mike, That's great camo....you look just like a pine tree sitting there next to your pack! ;-)

23-Feb-15
He must be real short!

23-Feb-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This is a little off the topic, but not exactly if you plan extensive DIY hunts. I invested $3,000 in this little 14' trailer 12 years ago to use as a base camp. Hot meals whenever I'm not spike camping, hot shower, oven, furnace, fridge and freezer that will keep running for many days on propane while I'm out.

I really don't need to go to town to resupply anything for a multi-week hunt. Spike out for 4-5 days, come back to a shower and great bed, a couple hot meals, some clean layers, and back on the hunt. Nothing like steak, potatoes and a couple cold beers after a week of Mountain House, without driving to town and paying a restaurant.

Amortized over time, it's surprisingly cheap. I could sell it today for $1,800. So about $100 a year so far, plus tags. And I'll have MANY more years of use out of it. Yes, it costs a little more gas to pull (about .05-.07 a mile at today's prices), but more than makes up for it with savings elsewhere and convenience, plus I can pack gear and clothes for all conditions. I added a little 1K suitcase Honda inverter after a few years to recharge the battery when I get back.

And after I flipped the shackles, I can get it into pretty rough spots, tuck it in and leave it anywhere a truck will fit.

23-Feb-15
really cool thread, this is re-assuring my thoughts on a future elk hunt if I ever stop having children!!

23-Feb-15
Andy, meet me in CO or WY in September and I'll do your vasectomy free of charge. That $500 will almost pay for your tag.

I'll even use a brand new Havalon blade.

23-Feb-15
Thats one of my biggest fears...... A knife..... and......

23-Feb-15

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Great set up Lou! It's dam nice having a good base camp. I don't have the water heater and shower like yours but it'll do.

23-Feb-15
Whoaaaaaa..... Did he just invite you to the mountains and offer to cut your junk..... Ned batey is that you? Haha. I'd cut off nut for a good elk hunt in CO.

23-Feb-15
I didn't have time to wade through all the great posts above but can offer a big bit of advice. If you are a hunter on a budget Craigslist and the internet should be your best friend for finding great deals on equipment.

I live on a tight budget and found my best friend on most trips is my basecamp....pickup with a topper on the back! It's a great place to stay warm and dry. It doesn't cost near as much as a trailer....and I don't have to deal with getting new tires, wiring, licenses every year, etc. It's also nice to stay mobile during trips and camp out where I end up at the end of the day.

I rough it on my trips on the cheapest budget imaginable. In fact, I've been on several Alaska trips where I rented a car or SUV for $25 to $30/day and slept in the back to get out of the rain and away from bears! There are a lot of ways to truly "rough it" on a budget!

23-Feb-15
Best thread in some time, tightwads unite!

I used to work with the daughter of a frugal friend of mine. She recounted a story from part of their move from NM to CO where it was just the 2 of them. In the middle of the night when they just couldn't go any further, he pulled into a Holiday Inn parking lot. She said how happy and surprised she was that dad was actually getting a nice hotel room for them, just like normal people do!

He backed into a parking spot in the back corner and reclined his seat...and said, "G'night sweety." Really took the wind out of her sails. Sounds like a familiar story for guys on this thread, myself included.

23-Feb-15
I hunted for years wearing Salvation Army wool dress pants ($2.00/ea), carrying an army surplus trench coat style rain coat, a Hillary frame pack I bought used in 1974, etc. My first ram was glassed up with pocket Zeiss 10x25 binos. I was cheap and proud of it! Most of my bows were bought used. I shot a NV desert ram with a $100 Hoyt Pro Vantage and the Colorado eight with a $100 Quadraflex for those that remember them.

It's nice to have the new latest gear gear today but I was a more effective predator when I was younger and on a tight budget.

I even made three DIY Alaskan trips for about $6,000 total and brought home two moose, a caribou and a Sitka blacktail (in the '80s and 90s).

If there is a will, there is a way! Great thread!

23-Feb-15
I hate to admit it but 2 years ago I drove out to L Michigan to do some kayak fishing. I spent several nights sleeping in my truck at the boat launch parking lot in the middle of the city. Several nights cops stopped and pounded on my window wondering if I was homeless and needed a place to stay! The cops, local fisherman, and several homeless guys got to know me pretty well on that trip! My kids got a kick out of that!

What some guys will do to afford hunting and fishing trips! Just because you don't have a lot of $ doesn't mean you can't take part in great outdoor trips! I skimp and save all year to afford great adventures on a yearly basis! If you are willing to budget and think outside the box there are some great options available!

23-Feb-15
I don't believe you guys can't be true ;)

23-Feb-15
its a known fact you can't kill anything big unless you could walk into a bank with your hunting gear strip down naked and have left the equivalent of a down payment for a house behind.

23-Feb-15

Bones's embedded Photo
Bones's embedded Photo
And so now... Hello fellow hunters. This is a thread that us lurkers feel we can chime in on. I'm from Nebraska discovered deer hunting( bow hunting) during the drought of 07. Duck hunter at heart had to pass the time. I like to hunt..not shop. Just wanted to say that this thread puts us simple folks on the map too. We know how to deal. This thread is exactly what can make us embarrassed folks without $itka gear and perfekt boots To wear feel at home. I have never been on an elk hunt But I have blazed a trail for a turkey/flyfishin trip in 12 inches of new snow in March. You deal with it with it and cuss the weatherman. You wear what you brought and get caught up in the nature of it. You build a fire with determination. You find motivation for the necessary that you didn't plan You love to struggle in a minuscule way and I find it a riddle to solve Just like you.. Here is what I have to deploy. I will deploy it and I will hunt.. Oohh I will hunt.. Thanks for the tips

24-Feb-15
A very fun and true read. I remember using my BDU's for bow hunting when I got out of the Army. I do not any more but I never felt like I was disabled. As a teenager in Montana my brother and I just used natural cover like rubbing dirt and mud all over our jeans and if we could find a plaid shirt that was faded we did the same to it. Eventually we spray painted our sneakers so we would be silent hunting Blacktailed deer after we moved to Oregon. We had a ton of fun doing it. Bob.

24-Feb-15
Even though my appearance may be similar to the "homeless" during hunting/fishing seasons I also am somewhat of a tech-weenie! The tech-weenie deal started quite a few years ago after getting lost on a Colo elk hunt. On that particular hunt I ended up getting lost and fortunately got picked up in Wyo close to dark....soaking wet in single diget temperatures. That was the closest I have ever come to death from hypothermia while hunting! I didn't have near the quality clothes I have now, no gps, and hardly any safety equipment.

That was a real eye-opener to me! There comes a point where having proper gear for the conditions can possibly save your life! It may not be wise to skimp on quality clothes and equipment for back country hunting in less than ideal conditions. I try to remember the Boy Scout Motto.... "Be prepared!"

24-Feb-15
Idyllwild you're a true gentleman! Maybe the next time you're in Nebraska for a deer hunt let me know! Also is there a good cheap whiskey you recommend and what wood works best for a dowl to clench with?! OR are these things needed, Im clueless...

A serious question...how important is a pack frame? Or can I get away with using a softpack? I haven't looked at a badlands pack to know how rigid it is...it appears to be similiar in construction to my walmart special which has met its end. Once again I truly value all the input given here, I am pretty confident now that I can "strikeout" after elk. Plus with fish as big as what's in that there photo I think I can salvage any elk hunt with a 3 wt and some pheasant tails!!!

24-Feb-15
X2 Jims

24-Feb-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Pack frame is not important. I've never used one. LOTS of elk have gotten a ride in this Dana Designs Bombpack. You can borrow it if ya want, pm me. It has a boned hind and front in it in the pic, only 2800ci

24-Feb-15
I amazed and enlightened to see at leat 2 photos of a Kelty Super Tioga frame pack! I thought that I was the ONLY one out there that would even admit to owning one, let alone using one! LOL

It is still my elk hunting "pack it back in there" pack as well as the "pack out the bull meat" on the frame pack. I've owned it since it was new and have had it likely over 20 years.

I got it for my "First Annual Once in a Lifetime Elk Hunt"! ;) To date, it has accompanied me on 13 or 14 such trips.... And its still going strong!

>>>>-------->

24-Feb-15
Great thread lots of fun and good info too!

24-Feb-15
Two front elk quarters on an old pack. Not very back friendly, but it works

photo P9210023_zpsc9672e24.jpg

24-Feb-15
I'm loving this thread.

24-Feb-15
mis-matched cotton camo pants, shirt and hat still kills elk

photo f5963d41-5afc-40d1-ae3a-c6450ced295b_zps8cde7099.jpg

24-Feb-15
3 different camos is a fashion faux pas !!

But it gets 4 hooves down , even if it doesn't get 2 thumbs up !

24-Feb-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Heading out for a five day bivy hunt.

24-Feb-15
I combed the classifieds, closeouts, end of season sales and websites when replacing some of my gear over the last two years. So I have some newer gear that is better than what it replaced. I am no longer in the upper echelon of frugal, but I really like my quilt, base layers and jacket. I'm wearing a merino base layer right now that I bought on closeout.

One thing that was great about my old gear was that I had zero worries that anyone would ever take anything from my camp. Nothing was worth carrying out.

I completely agree that a little bit of "heart", drive or desire will carry you much further than dropping an extra grand or more on gear.

24-Feb-15
For those on a budget....Sierra Trading currently has a 30% coupon code available on most of their already sale items...if you spend $100.

In regard to pack frames. I used an Cabela's Alaska framed pack for years. The last time I used it I ended upside down like a turtle! I packed out a lot of elk and deer with it over the years but the shifting of a load with a pack frame was a dangerous scenerio. I finally wised up and got an oversized Arcteryx Bora 90 internal frame pack. It may not be a Kifaru but I've hauled out literally hundreds and hundreds of pounds of game over the years with it. Everything from dall sheep to moose. I've seen a few on Craigslist and Ebay for around $100! Mine is around 20 years old and keeps on ticking!

24-Feb-15
Awesome thread. First one in a long while that had me smiling all the way through from all the flashbacks of some great hunts I have had.

razorhead - how could you afford contractor bags, I had to make do with regular garbage bags. To save weight on daily hunts I always rolled one up in my pack in case of rain. Had rain gear back at the camp if I needed it but this worked during the day. Started this after getting caught in an afternoon temp drop then a downpour. There is NO warm rain in the mountains!

cnelk - I have always had the belief that different camo tops and bottoms were more effective. I have a buddy that just has to be the GQ camo guy. Heck, he sells arrows if the fletchings don't match.

Eagle-eye-Andy - I have an early 70's Eddie Bauer external pack frame that has a lot of experience carrying 70 lb loads while backpacking for elk in Colorado. I will give it to you if you want it. I also have a smaller, cheaper external packframe my wife used. You can have them both if that will help get you started on your quest for elk!

Just think, only a couple weeks ago some clown was asking whether the Bowsite represented the average bowhunter...this thread screams out the answer...YES.

Dwayne

24-Feb-15
Oh, just so everyone knows I have yet to sleep in a hotel on the trudge west. I pass on junk food and yes McDonalds and BBK is junk food. I opt for subway most the time. I do splurge for charrizzo and huevos rancheros on second day of trip.

I would have to change locations to make the civic work due to read really rough roads. That would be true in every area that hunted in Montana, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico.

I agree that Cazador is correct in his premise of going cheap if it means not going at all.

Still loves this thread!!!

24-Feb-15
Oh, just so everyone knows I have yet to sleep in a hotel on the trudge west. I pass on junk food and yes McDonalds and BBK is junk food. I opt for subway most the time. I do splurge for charrizzo and huevos rancheros on second day of trip.

I would have to change locations to make the civic work due to read really rough roads. That would be true in every area that hunted in Montana, Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico.

I agree that Cazador is correct in his premise of going cheap if it means not going at all.

Still loves this thread!!!

24-Feb-15
Andy,

we can do Nebraska, but that's in November and the hood of my car is a lot colder which makes for certain physiologic changes in the target organs, if you catch my drift... think "mining for gold" instead of "panning for gold..."

And BTW, I was gonna bring Lidocaine, I'm not that mean. But you can bite on a stick if you want that whole civil-war experience.

24-Feb-15
Great thread,and concur that Microtex is the best hunting material I own and wish Cabelas would add more designs with the stuff

24-Feb-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Vintage Jaquomo.

$5 KMart coveralls on sale, $1.00 wool shirt, $.50 Goodwill hat with camo mesh hand-sewn on.

Somehow I managed to voice-bugle this bull in and kill him at 8 yards.

24-Feb-15
'Your generous donation of just $5 can help poor people to look more fabulous come elk season...'

24-Feb-15
Jaq....that's awesome! lol! You should bring back the coveralls!

24-Feb-15

Some of you guys asked how I attached the meat shelf to my molle frame so here's a photo.

24-Feb-15

Here's the attachment pin. I was going to devise something better but figured I'd try the simple route first and so far it's holding up. I might make some better pins that fit better out of steel.

24-Feb-15

Great photo Lou!

Here's my first bull also shot at a distance of 8 yards.

Check out the mis-matched camo, Cabela's Microtex pants in Skyline Apparition pattern and a Realtree cotton T-shirt. Look at how that Skyline pattern makes my legs disappear, I wonder what ever happened to that pattern...?

Oh yeah, and check out that vintage bow, a 1998 Mathews MQ-1, the first year they made them. And talk about low-budget, I still shoot that bow!

24-Feb-15
Sierra Trading Post is a great place to find some good deals on base layers and boots, but other stuff as well.

When buying gear, you have to keep a few things in mind:

1. Don't buy if it's not on sale. (Even Cabela's occasionally has sales.)

2. Is it a need or a want? Military snipers have a different take on what they consider "high-end optics" than I do. I use my rangefinder now and then, and never does my life depend on it.

3. Some things are worth buying "once" ... rifles, saddles. You'll spend less by purchasing quality.

4. But ... "Buy once, cry once" does not apply to socks. Knowing where to draw the line is important.

5. DO NOT SPEND MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE ON STUFF YOU DON'T NEED.

24-Feb-15
Thank goodness I'm one of those guys who got better-looking as I grew older. Believe it or not, that ugly photo was used in a full-page Muzzy ad in several national magazines back in the early '80s. I don't think Tiffany was born yet..

Mike, I still have some insulated bibs in the Skyline pattern (bought on sale, of course) and they are the Bomb for late season treestand hunting, which I don't do anymore.

Ike, my vasectomy was a "civil-war" experience. The only thing missing was a stick to bite on. I'll tell you about it sometime. Gruesome.

24-Feb-15
I'm imagining them having to use the bedside restraints to keep that thing out of the way.

24-Feb-15
Ike, my Doc had a gorgeous 24 year old "wiener-holder". That was the ONLY good part about the entire ordeal...

24-Feb-15
Dang Lou! For a minute there I thought it was an old Giligan's Island photo.

Thanks for the photos Mike. I may have to try something like that.

24-Feb-15
An old mil surplus and bargain cave guy. When you start out you are broke (I sure was). Back in the day (before Cabelas figured out how many cheapos there were) you could score some good outdoor gear at giveaway prices as long as you could live with the 'creative' camo patterns (now it's more like regular sale prices, although you can still get the huge discount if you look long enough). Still have my Woodland camo jacket. Agree you can't mess around with cotton in extreme conditions - exposure kills over a thousand people a year (not all in the woods), and cotton puts you on that path.

I don't like being cold or wet, so I have added to/upgraded my equipment over the years. Right now is a great time to buy - no big game season anywhere in sight and tax time around the corner - sales abound. Paying more than $50 tops for merino underanything is ridiculous. Even top shelf stuff like Smartwool socks can occasionally be had at substantial discounts. Plus if you keep going into outdoor stores, you eventually find exactly what you are looking for at 1/2 off.

Boots I gotta say is one area where if it does exactly what I want the extra dough is worth it. Cold and wet is nothing next to holes in your feet and the prospect of nothing but more torture.

What $$$ does buy you is less weight for gear that still performs. Extra weight can be compensated for by fitness, determination, preparation, and sheer stubbornness.

As far as out of state trip costs, making a bunch of food ahead of time (I use a dehydrator a lot) gets you great eats for no more than staying at home. We all ask for the 'hunter discount' at motels on the way and they always give it. Agree gas for big ol' 4x4's can eat a hole in your wallet. I drive a high mileage car and figure on packing that extra distance. Of course, every extra passenger (especially the first one) divides that cost.

I never regret a cent I pay for getting into the great beyond.

24-Feb-15
Cabelas sidewalk sale used to average about $.14 on the dollar (vs. the retail price). I still have and use a lot of stuff I "stole" at those prices back in the day.

Goretex rain gear, tents. all sorts of hunting and camping gear. THe prices were too good to pass up.

Probably still have a dozen pairs of boots from then, which I rotate through now. Three pairs of Meindls, Danners, Cabelas private label back when the sizes were consistent and the overall quality seemed better.

24-Feb-15
Cabela's used to have an outlet store just south of the Owatonna MN store that had great deals too but it shut down several years ago...

24-Feb-15

Joehunter's embedded Photo
Joehunter's embedded Photo
1998 did not know any better. Went to Colorado with borrowed gear and very marginal essentials. Had good calls Rocky's pallet plate and home made bugle tube. I will be using the same call combination this September.

24-Feb-15
I hunt on a budget too, my budget is just a lot higher that what I'm seeing here! hehe

25-Feb-15
I really enjoy bragging about how old my equipment is. It makes me proud that I made a good choice in purchasing something that will last a really long time under the supreme level of abuse I dish out. Granted, I tend to focus on durability over cost, and have ponied up some major cash for gear over the years.

I am glad to see/read this thread. I think it's awesome.

25-Feb-15
Been there done the vasectomy. Trust me when I say, you don't want to hike around the mountains in search of elk anytime soon after being cut. There wouldn't be enough bags of frozen vegetables. LOL!

26-Feb-15
I still shoot my Parker Ultra Lite 31 I got in 2000. I buy my Merino wool sweaters in brown, grey and tans at Good Will for 3.38. I wear Summer weight Woodland BDU pants. I picked up a 12x14 fire and water treated wall tent with a heavy fly for 200 on Craigslist. I built my own internal frame. I built my own game cart. I built my own carry all for the back of my truck to haul my FREE freezer. I picked up a new Eberlestock Gunslinger pack at the Salvation Army for 20.00. It didn't fit me well so I sold it on Ebay and made a 185.00 profit. I picked up a new Badlands 2200 for 135 on Ebay. I buy my wool sucks and boots on sale. I picked up a nice Thermarest sleeping pad at Good Will for 12.00 and a like new nalgene bottle for .88 just last week.

Lots of good tips here. >>>>------>

26-Feb-15

Speaking of game carts... here's my homemade game cart that I made over 20 years ago out of the frame from a scrapped out aluminum topper. It has hauled out a few elk, several bears and dozens of deer.

26-Feb-15

buckchsr's embedded Photo
buckchsr's embedded Photo
This 20yr old yardsale special is still getting it done.

• Sitka Gear