Ermine 19-Mar-18
Ridge runner 19-Mar-18
'Ike' (Phone) 19-Mar-18
buzz mc 19-Mar-18
CCOVEY 19-Mar-18
wildwilderness 20-Mar-18
Bake 20-Mar-18
24-Feb-15
I got it in my mind to buy a couple pairs of these socks, but have one problem. There are many options as far as how thick the socks are and heights. For those who own some, what do you have and like? I'm guessing the one sock that might be nice for every day use or elk hunt would not be the same one for sitting in a tree stand or what say you?

At the (ahem cough) price per pair I want to make sure I get it right the first time!

24-Feb-15
I use the ankle high style with a liner for September hunts.

24-Feb-15
I've only used the hiker ones. There awesome . They got some hunting ones too that I'm going to get. Beat part there warranty .

24-Feb-15
I like the military wool/nylon mix. They have a sale every year on opening day of deer season. My son doesn't hunt but want's to keep his dad in the woods to collect venison.

24-Feb-15
I'm with early riser. I followed a thread here last year about them and it was spot on. I wore the full cushion and liners for breaking in my boots during the summer, then decided to use the same set up elk hunting. Pretty sure early season into early Nov. you would be good, but after that I'm sure you boots would factor in. Great socks without question.

24-Feb-15
I like the mid weight hikers. I have 3 pair and love them. HUNT

24-Feb-15
Watch for the descriptions 'cushion', 'full cushion' and 'extra cushion'. Cushion has thickness in the foot area only. Full cushion extends the thickness to the top of the sock. Extra cushion provides even more thickness for situations requiring warmth or to handle abusive terrain.

I wear the Mountaineering Extra Cushion sock for colder weather and mountain hunting. My favorite all-around cool weather sock is their full cushion boot sock, and my daily wear sock is a cushion in boot or crew height. I still have yet to develop a hole or defect. Just bought 4 new pair a couple weeks ago.

24-Feb-15
x2 on the mid weight hikers!

24-Feb-15
Looks like I have a local retailer here in CDA, gonna have to check the selection.

25-Feb-15
Hiker ones for me.. Im trying to find out what gear people use to climb everest and I will buy that... that way I know I wont go wrong.

25-Feb-15
Fantastic warranty on their socks. For comfort I think I still prefer Smartwool. I have some of the lighter (lightest?) ones and I would go heavier for actual boot use and hiking.

25-Feb-15
Depends on the height of your boots and activity. Everybody here's given you good direction to find the one's you'll want.

I just thought that I'd add something. They are fairly expensive socks if you are purchasing them. They are a relatively inexpensive gift for someone else to purchase for you for a birthday, father's day or Christmas.

My wife comes from a large family. The fact that I am so happy and excited to receive a pair of socks as a "large" Christmas grab-a-name present has led to me having several pairs.

While they limit it to one grab-a-name "large" gift (up to $50) they try to give a small stocking stuffer to everyone. As stocking stuffers, I am typically given a couple of flies, a couple of ice jigs, an open water lure, some string wax, a target ball for my block target...useful small stuff like that. Since there'll be about 50-70 family members at Christmas it adds up quickly.

It really beats getting cologne or a tie.

25-Feb-15
Awhunt73, who has them in CDA? I'm in sandpoint

25-Feb-15
Thanks so much for the input guys! Good idea Orion - my birthday is coming up in 2 1/2 weeks as well! :)

25-Feb-15
I'm interested in the cda retailer too. :)

25-Feb-15
Picked up a pair last year; the mid weight crew height.

I really enjoyed the lower height of the sock as I wear backpacking boots to hunt in.

However, I had a problem with them cutting into my skin in the ankle/foot joint. Anyone else have this issue?

25-Feb-15
Ordered a couple pairs of the hunting boot socks yesterday. I have always used Smartwool and lately tried a pair of 6Points.

25-Feb-15
I recently got a couple pairs. I am not sure which model they are though. The one pair comes up almost to my knees, (too long) and the other pair does tend to bunch up/cut into the front of my ankle, not bad, but slightly annoying. I have a pair of wigwam and smartwool that I find a little more comfortable, but its hard to beat the warranty. Socksaddict.com has specials and clearance on them occasionally and free shipping.

25-Feb-15
At this price I'll stick with alpaca.

25-Feb-15
X2 on Alpaca, mine still look new and not worn at the heel and wick sweat for the long walks.

25-Feb-15
Darn Tough 1441 Hike Trek CoolMax

The guys up at Barneys Sports Chalet recommended them a while back... They're specifically designed to wick moisture away from your skin and dry out really fast. Great for keeping your feet warm and blister free. Have not gone back to wool socks since discovering these... don't smell too bad either after a few days.

25-Feb-15
The price kills me, that is why I have not purchased any. They do appear to be quality.

25-Feb-15
Whats the price? Alpaca socks do all mentioned above amd go for 16-20 a pair but worth it IMO.

25-Feb-15
My wife makes the warmest, most comfortable socks that I've ever worn!!

https://www.facebook.com/nicolescrochetcreationsmi/photos/pb.344880799007882.-2207520000.1424896518./373248376171124/?type=3&theater

25-Feb-15
2 things. One, if you wear em out....they replace em.....free. Two, My wife buys the 2nds at the sock sale fro way cheaper....but no returns......they far outlasted my Alpaca socks , smart wools, etc. The hunting and military ones are a bit heavy for everyday, the light hikers are perfect.

01-Mar-15
Received my Boot sock 1403 on Friday. Guess I should have read Kevin's post better. I ordered the cushion inssrtead of the full cushion.

Outdoorsdude was spot on in the fit. I did not like the way they cut into my ankle like be mentioned. Going to send them back and exchange them for a different model. The quality does look very good.

01-Mar-15
" Though not providing the same insulating qualities as wool, Darn Tough's custom-blended moisture-wicking, quick-drying Coolmax yarn is ideal for warmer weather usage."

That makes is sound like they are not as good a wool for cold weather but for summer hiking you are good to go.

These work for me in hot weather:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Under-Armourreg-HeatGearreg-Crew-Socks-Four-Pack/1311068.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dunderarmour%2Bcrew%2Bsocks%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D8%26y%3D7&Ntt=underarmour+crew+socks&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

notice that the price is for 4 pair. I use these for everyday socks instead of cotton and they last much longer than cotton

02-Mar-15
They are all they are said to be.... Darn tough as well.

Except when the birddogs get one an play tug-o-war with it. Do not throw the abandoned straggler non-paired socks away..... eventually the birddogs will corner another one and as life goes round....you will be fulfilled with a new and reborn pair of socks.

I know they have that great warranty..... but I cannot in good conscious send them back in the condition they are found in the backyard......

Have only had mine just short of a year, those that have not been ambushed look like new still. Very impressed.

02-Mar-15
More out of curiosity than anything, I'm interested in the comments that their socks cut into their ankles. Does this mean the top edge of the sock? Where foot/ankle meet? Entire sock top? I suspect it's due to the stout elastic. I have DTs that are going on 2 years old and get worn every week. The elastic is still very strong and they feel almost like new socks after a wash/dry cycle.

02-Mar-15
lifetime warranty no matter what i find them cofortable as well

18-Mar-18
So how does everyone like them. They have one heck of a warranty? Seems like they would be worth buying because of the lifetime warranty

18-Mar-18
I normally would whine about the price. However I destroy socks, really seems to wear them out prematurely. When I need some new socks, I will give them a chance. I like smartwool, but they do not hold up.

18-Mar-18
It's funny cause back in the day, I guess I started this thread in 2015. I now wear nothing but Darn Tough socks. In fact, I will go into the laundry for a dirty pear before i ever wear anything else. Gasp if I have to wear (yuck) cotton lol. I also always wear each pair a minimum of 2 days before laundering. My hockey team has switched over, dad has switched over, brother has switched over, and numerous other people I've run into. I have no idea how many pair of DT's I'm responsible for.

18-Mar-18
Still loving mine . Have almost eliminated all other socks from my sock drawer.

18-Mar-18
I have half a dozen pairs in a couple weights. In all honesty there are other brands I like way way better. They are tough I will give them that,however you pay for it with an high nylon count. I think there are more comfortable and better performing socks available. I hardly use them anymore and surely don’t plan on buying anymore pairs.

18-Mar-18
I wear D-T and REI mid wt. 365 days a year, darn tough seems to be cushion a little better, but, both a good socks. lean towards D-T. Take care, Peter.

19-Mar-18
I might try some!

19-Mar-18
Love mine! Don’t stink for days! Farm to feet socks are just as good. 100%. US made and the wool is 100% US sourced. I wear the ankle cut when hiking in my trail runners. Tall ones with my boots. Pair either brand with Injinji toe sock liners and you can’t go wrong. Both companies offer the same warranty.

19-Mar-18
Great sock, great company...

19-Mar-18
Got on a pair right now. I'm either wearing D T, or another brand of merino wool socks everyday. Don't even own cotton socks anymore.

19-Mar-18
They are all i wear.

20-Mar-18
I read this thread back then, and am actually wearing a pair right now I got 3 years ago because of the recomendation! I wear DT socks everyday now. I have yet to wear a pair out, even though I have have tried. Also I have never notice odor even after multiple day use. Lots of different options to choose from for specific need.

20-Mar-18
I can't believe I didn't respond in 2015. :)

I love mine. Am wearing a pair right now. They are all I wear in boots. For tennis shoes I generally wear little ankle Smartwool socks.

I wear the ankle length mid-weight for my hunting boots, which are 6" Under Armour boots.

• Sitka Gear