Chasewild 26-Feb-15
Outdoorsdude 26-Feb-15
Heat 26-Feb-15
sharpstick 26-Feb-15
Kdog 15-Apr-15
trophyhilll 16-Apr-15
Forest bows 16-Apr-15
25-Feb-15
Was in Texas last week for a hog and javelina hunt and after talking to our outfitter I am obsessed with trying for a free range Aoudad (he said when he used to guide for them they didn't even charge bowhunters a trespass fee because they never ended up killing one...now I have to try it for myself...lol

Did a bit of searching on the forum and have not found a ton of info on Aoudad sheep so am looking for any info, pics that I can for planning a 2016 Aoudad hunt. Any info on Texas or NM is greatly appreciated, would like to do a DIY hunt but and if need be pay a lease or trespass fee on larger ranches.

cheers,

Sharpstick

25-Feb-15
they are sweet looking critters, good luck on the quest

25-Feb-15
There are some free range ranches in the Hill country I've heard of where they might come into a corn feeder and a blind set up, but to spot and stalk one in their typical cliffy breaks type habitat in NM or W TX would be quite the feat!

25-Feb-15
The phrase " free range " can mean a couple things here. The free range in the Hill Country are animals or descendants of animals that at some point escaped a high fence operation or were bought for the ranch. The " real " free range are found in the Davis Mountains or the Pala Duro Canyon. Of course, not being native to Texas, they are all exotics. I have heard the same as SDHNTR about the difficulty of taking one ( that's not under a corn feeder ) with a bow. Google ( I think ) Desert Safaris. That's a hunting operation that operates near Ft. Davis. Beautiful country, and the only mountains we have. Good luck !

25-Feb-15
TX has mountains? Certainly you are joking:)

25-Feb-15
Big difference between hunting them in TX and NM.

25-Feb-15
I have true free range Aoudad in Oklahoma.

26-Feb-15

Brent Sinclair's embedded Photo
Brent Sinclair's embedded Photo
Aoudad are very difficult to take with a bow but if your willing to spend the time you can do it free range in the right area.

26-Feb-15
Brent,

good to see you on here...I will be calling you with regards to this or buy you a beer or coffee the next time you are in Lethbridge and will bend your ear :)

I really want to do this as a free range (no feeder hunt) and spot and stalk them, just need to find the right place to go where I can wander and glass large areas.

Cheers,

Sharpstick (Mike Philip)

26-Feb-15
Forest,

do tell???

Sharpstick

26-Feb-15
You can always put in for the NM draw on public land. Tag allotments are liberal and the country is hard hunting, but it's likely the most affordable route if you do get drawn. I put in for it a few years back when I knew I'd have the time and I've already put in for this year. PM me if you have any questions; I'd be happy to share.

I've tried to find trespass fee type hunts in West TX (I now live in Midland, TX), and they're few and far between and/or overpriced for a true DIY trespass fee.

Most outfitters are getting 3-5K for a guided hunt, which is absolutely ridiculous, IMO.

26-Feb-15
Pm me.

26-Feb-15
If you think a free range Aoudad is tough, try the Ibex in NM on for size...toughest critter in NA to kill with a bow, by far I hear!

26-Feb-15
I would love to try the Ibex but the tag fee is outrageous...wow

26-Feb-15
"If you think a free range Aoudad is tough, try the Ibex in NM on for size...toughest critter in NA to kill with a bow, by far I hear!"

Then you aren't listening to unlimited sheep hunters from MT.

26-Feb-15

Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
The finger is pointing, more or less, at a three Barbary here in NM. This is what the country looked like where I was hunting them, not much cover to sneak around in and bow hunt. And I agree, these guys are easier to hunt than Ibex.

26-Feb-15
Didn't mean to get the thread off topic, good luck in your quest!

26-Feb-15
Not off topic at all...I would love to do either or both hunts if I could :)

15-Apr-15
We have them where I hunt in Texas. One of these days I am going to try spot and stalk on them, but it is so Rocky and with thick cedars I think I would be happy just to get close let alone close the deal with a bow.

16-Apr-15
It's a tough hunt here in NM but very doable. The country I hunt deer in looks like the photo Outdoorsdude posted. I see sheep frequently while deer hunting.

16-Apr-15

Forest bows's MOBILE embedded Photo
Forest bows's MOBILE embedded Photo

Our hunt is 3800$ with 2500$ back if no shot opportunity.

• Sitka Gear