12yards 16-Mar-15
Badlands 18-Mar-15
BULELK1 18-Mar-15
GotBowAz 18-Mar-15
Jon Simoneau 21-Mar-15
IAHUNTER 21-Mar-15
Ranger6 22-Mar-15
26-Feb-15
Who is thinking of hunting Iowa this 2015 season.

26-Feb-15
I've got 4 points and think I'm going to apply for zone 4.

26-Feb-15
I'm in with 4 too. Already got it booked.

26-Feb-15
Me....;)

26-Feb-15
Not hitting the farm this year?

27-Feb-15
Pretty sure I have 4 or 5 but not gonna do more than bank a point. Too many other states I might draw. Might have to think about it soon. My problem is I have to pick my vacation dates in November for the following year!Bob.

27-Feb-15
I'll be thinking about it till I have enough points to draw it in 2 yrs.

27-Feb-15
Me ;)

27-Feb-15
Have the points....but waiting until 2016 for this hunt.

27-Feb-15
most times best units take 3 points max! Iowa dosent take away ones points if u dont apply or buy a point.

27-Feb-15
Wasn't gonna apply this year but since I didn't draw wy this yr I may end up going. Never thought iowa would be a back up but.... Plan on wy next yr for sure. Does anyone know if ehd had a major effect this past year in zone 3&4? Ehd was only reason I wanted to wait till next year to go

27-Feb-15
Thinking about it. :)

Seriously, don't even have a place to hunt this year yet.

27-Feb-15
I've been putting it off for a couple of years now, wanting to make sure I've got a good plan. More than likely 2016. I've had the points for a while

27-Feb-15
I'm in this year

27-Feb-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
Butcher it will be hard to get the truth about EHD . Iowa outfitters all say it wasn't that bad !! FG lies and down plays it . Bill Winke had his worst year not once did he draw his bow , hunted the whole season . Even late season over his knocked down corn he couldnt get a shooter to walk in .

I had a hunter 2013 it took him 5 days to see a doe We were seeing plenty of bucks but mostly 1 or 2 year olds . He had a chance at a monarch but buck was behind brush no shot . I sat one morning called in 9 bucks one mature shooter. If u can find a hot doe lots of bucks will be in the area . Calling is lethal as doe numbers are so low ,competition is high for love .

27-Feb-15
Count me in for this year!

27-Feb-15
Troy best of luck

27-Feb-15
I've been booked since 2012 but kept pushing it back because of EHD. On the ground reports are quality is ok, quantity is still lacking. Instead of 6-12 P&Y class bucks in a week it might be 1-3. The outfitter has been very upfront and honest about the quality of the hunt. I really just want to get this hunt in and focus more on mountain hunts.

My lease in Southeastern Nebraska was decimated by EHD in 2012 but this past year did have some dandy bucks(150-170) showing up but just not the number of good bucks.

27-Feb-15
I am a point short this year, and 2016 is really booked up for me. Iowa might be a 2017 two week affair.

27-Feb-15
CWD starting to spread in NE Iowa. Be aware.

27-Feb-15
I hunted N.E. Missouri on the Iowa line in 2013. And had hunted S.E. Iowa in 2012. There was a huge difference in numbers.

But w 2 points I'm still going to apply this year. I think I've got 40% chance w 2 pts. Because you just never know .....

If I didn't have other plans for 2016 I would skip this years application and wait for a better EHD improvement in 2016 . But, as it is.......2017 just seems too far away to wait !

27-Feb-15
I have 4 pts but am hesitant to put in due to EHD and I also have an eastern plains mule deer hunt planned for November. I think its going to be a 2016 hunt.

27-Feb-15
A point short here. but cant wait until 2016!

27-Feb-15
I've got the points, but not the plan, nor the time

So thinking of '16 or '17

Bake

27-Feb-15
Have one point and should draw in zone 8.

27-Feb-15
I've got 2 PTs, probably will get another point. Elk and Illinois already lined up this year and Obama just took all the extra money I had saved up(bastard)

27-Feb-15
I will pass again this year due to very poor deer numbers and lack of mature bucks, like I did last year. After the 2013 season, it was not worth it and decided it was time to hopefully let things recover, if they ever do. My hunting partner hunted last year hoping for recovery, but was disappointed. EHD and doe harvest has had a huge impact and that is from personal, "boots on the ground" experience. Good luck to those that do hunt.

27-Feb-15
Holly Molly! With all you guys holding off I may take a chance with only one point! You never know!

27-Feb-15
I'm going to wait to see if I draw anything in Utah Az NV, or Mt if I do I will just buy my 4th point.

27-Feb-15
My plan is to hunt this year then wait 3 or 4 years to see if things recover then hunt again :) I'll be turkey hunting in Iowa 4/25-4/28. Already have turkey tag and hunting license. I plan on preparing stand sites on that trip.

27-Feb-15
Hunted zone 5 in 2013. Hunted for 10 days and saw 3 bucks over 140. I was holding out for 150 plus, and never took the bow off the hook. Numbers were way down and the mature bucks got hit very hard by EHD in 12 and 13.

27-Feb-15
Have a chance this year but want to hit one or two IL spots that should still be good this year, but burned out by next season. I'll be money for the Iowa tag next year. Good timing.

27-Feb-15
Not for me this year. Though I would think in the next couple years I 'd like to pull the trigger on the tag...got 6pts...

27-Feb-15
Juspassin, they had one deer test positive for cwd last year in eastern allamakee county. They found a couple more this year. Can't remember if it was 2 or 3. Right now they are killing 200 more deer to take samples from. This is in a small area right around harpers ferry and yellow river forest. Hopefully its extremely isolated and they can get a hold of things.

27-Feb-15
2016 for me.

27-Feb-15

patdel's Link

27-Feb-15

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I live here, your not missing a thing.

28-Feb-15
John nice pic thanks gives me hope !!!

01-Mar-15
I have three points already and will be putting in for a tag this year!! I hunted Iowa back in 2010 and can't wait to hunt there again.

City-you sell your farm?

01-Mar-15
Buying my 4th point this year looking to go in 16. Any recommend outfitters to bow hunt with?

01-Mar-15
Hey Charlie no i havent tried to sell it how u doin u hunt i think not that far from my place in Iowa post a pic of that buck if u dont mind he is a dandy !

02-Mar-15

C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
Hey City- I think Not far at all from you. I am looking at a few options this year for Iowa. Also Leo bought a farm not far from there. Small world.

02-Mar-15
Charlie best of luck if u venture out . Keep in touch we can maybe do boggies steak house one evening .

02-Mar-15
I'm in. Booked through Mark at BSC.

02-Mar-15
Ha! I have been to Boggies! You going with Bill and the MWW crew? What dates will you be out? You know yet?

02-Mar-15
Bill ? MWW crew? im lone wolf !! oct opener ten oct nov then if need jan ..my farm was at its peak in 2012 im heading out soon do some recon then head back do some food plots and tree planting !!

02-Mar-15
Charlie if u need me to bring anything out there stands blinds etc no problem .

02-Mar-15
Charlie Leo im still waiting for him to pick me up to drive out to the farms that was last year :> hope all is well

02-Mar-15
EHD losses tend to be localized. Some areas hit hard, others the losses were minimal. You need to rely on information from the properties you will be hunting, not general statewide comments.

16-Mar-15
I did not draw in 2014 with 2 PP. I would think I should draw this year with 3PP. Just glad I did not draw last year as I got deployed to Iraq and would not been able to hunt, but I will be home for this season. I plan to hunt area 4. I did great there in 2011.

Tom

16-Mar-15
Rnger6 im sure If u explained to them that u drew and got deployed they would have given u back yr money nd points !! What zone u looking at

Ranger6 Iowa was a diff place in 2011, i wish u the best if you draw . And thanks for your service !

16-Mar-15
I am sitting it out, Might have enough points to draw this year however I am being told EHD has it pretty hard to the areas have access in.

16-Mar-15
You guys that don't go because of EHD must have some really good hunting. I went despite the EHD and it is still 10X better than any hunting I've experienced in MN. I'd go anyways. That way I can hunt there more times before I die. LOL.

18-Mar-15
I'm going to start building points. It's doubtful I'll have much time to hunt the next couple of years, plus I'm going to SA this year anyway. Property I have access to is in Zone 4. Been looking at buying some property on the west side of the state the last few weeks also.

Every year I hunt turkeys on this property and I always think I should be deer hunting it. I need to get on it soon.

18-Mar-15
It is pretty much up to Lou if I apply for a tag or go for another point this year.

Good luck, Robb

18-Mar-15
4 points here, Im putting in.

21-Mar-15
I've got the points. The hard part is getting a place to hunt, and getting the time off to do so!

21-Mar-15
Spent five days scouting in Iowa this week and numbers are down where I hunt. Found some new good public and some public that has changed, but not for the good for a variety of reasons. Still on the fence if it's time to go for a bowhunt or earn a point.

22-Mar-15
I plan to hit Area four this year. Folks up that way have always treated me right. A few of my Soldiers have family land up that way so I might be able to get on private land. Usually when I return from deployment I can get a pretty good amount of time off to hunt. 2011 was great hopefully numbers can bounce back.

Tom

• Sitka Gear