Ibow 27-Feb-15
Teeton 27-Feb-15
Callingalldeer 27-Feb-15
Mule Power 27-Feb-15
prezboys 27-Feb-15
Copperman 28-Feb-15
scndwfstlhntng 28-Feb-15
26-Feb-15
We'll be heading to Vermillion Bay in August for a black bear hunt. I'll be bow hunting and plan to take both my Elite and my Mathews with a few odds and ends extra parts. Besides the obvious (Thermacell) what should I pack for the trip. Ladder stands are to be provided at each bait site.

Anyone have a good list ? Thanks in advance.

26-Feb-15
thin seat pad for sure, pee jug and a headlamp

26-Feb-15
May want to bring a target to get a few shots off before the hunt, fishing pole and tackle, we also brought a log and rope to help carry our bear out easier. Not sure if you're a drinker but you're allowed one case of beer or 1/5th of liquor a piece to cross the border with. Much more expensive up there!!!

26-Feb-15
I'll say it a second time. Take a seat pad. Maybe even a couple of different thickness seat pads. Ladder stands can hurt after a while without a pad all day. Homemade ladder stands are all over the place so keep that in mind. Also, take a rain suit.

27-Feb-15
100% deet. I was born and raised in Int'l Falls, MN and some nights the sky changes color on the lakes with bugs.

27-Feb-15
100% deet. I was born and raised in Int'l Falls, MN and some nights the sky changes color on the lakes with bugs.

27-Feb-15
Don't forget a therma-cell.

27-Feb-15
take 8 thermacells in case the first 7 break. it will be the most important piece of gear you pack.

27-Feb-15
Previous gun hunting license from your home state. Need this to purchase a hunting license.

Hunter orange, must wear to and from truck to bait site. Must be solid orange hat and vest. You can take it off in the treestand.

Soft or cloth bowcase.

Cushion and rope for hauling your bow into the stand. Also bow hanger.

You'll be in either a ladder stand or permanent stand.

27-Feb-15
Ear muffs and plugs (for potential snoring roommate)

Passport

Camera. I’ve gone every way possible on the camera thing. I’ve used the point and shoot compact cameras, full blown digital SLR camera with different lenses and even an iPhone which also takes nice picts. I’ve come to the conclusion that all things considered, the most practical/functional is the newer point and shoot wide angle digital cameras. Whatever way you go, take LOTS of pictures! You’ll be glad you did.

27-Feb-15
Tape, for if you have to tape up your sleeves to keep bugs out. Head net.. Good fitting gloves. All for bugs.. I know your bring the thermacell.. "BUT" !!!

You can go on youtube and type in refueling thermacells.. Unless they changed the fuel cans,,, with a little work you can refuel them.. Also you can get the chemicals for redoing the pads. But I think it's a little pricey. As I think if come in only gallon jugs..

27-Feb-15
A sowing tape to take measurements. Width of paws,. Length of bear and chest size will give a good indicator of weight,with in pounds.

27-Feb-15

Mule Power's Link
I'll third Flying brass... a serious seat pad. it can/will make or break your days... and maybe your hunt.

As far as the Thermacell. Yeah. gotta have it. But you will never know how good permethrin works until you have tried it. Spray your clothes or Bug Tamer suit before you leave home and by God those bugs will keep their distance all week. See the link. Wal Mart or REI. 10 to 15 bucks.

I turn my Therma Cell off! That's a pretty big statement right there!

27-Feb-15
Therma Cell, saved my like last time

28-Feb-15
I am surprised at all the bug talk for fall bear. I ve been there twice for bear during last week of August and never had problem with bugs.

28-Feb-15
The most unexpected thing that I ran into was the sap from the pine trees that the stands were placed in. It got on hands, clothing AND BOWHUNTING EQUIPMENT. Plain old rubbing alcohol seemed to do the trick as I remember. Get a bottle, or even easier is if you can get a box of the small packets like they use for medical purposes which are individual wipes. The drug store will have both.

My biggest hassle was that the Therma Cell gas cartridges were not allowed on the plane. Going OR coming home. I had to run around Calgary looking for a sporting goods store where I could buy them.

Pack the usual variety of clothing that ranges from hot to cold weather and wet to dry. You just never know.

Steve

• Sitka Gear