fubar racin 27-Feb-15
Moose2367 28-Feb-15
warthog 01-Mar-15
Frank Sanders 01-Mar-15
Beendare 01-Mar-15
Pete_H 02-Mar-15
Frank Sanders 02-Mar-15
27-Feb-15
Headed over to hunt all kinds of animals and was wondering if anyone has any advice on arrows for buffalo? I have got a couple different opinions, one friend said my regular setup with 500 grain arrows and good 2 blade head is fine, other said 800-900 grains. I've killed cape buffalo and used 800 grain arrows, had a pass through and one that planted in offside shoulder and according to the Australians I've talked to, their buffalo are a lot "softer" than cape. Thanks

27-Feb-15
I'm gonna be going over next summer for buffalo. The guys I've talked too in Australia recommend 650 grains if you are shooting 80# or more. Less poundage then more arrow weight. The guys that I know personally have killed buffalo with arrows in the 8-900 grain range and were pleased with the results. I haven't settled on an arrow yet. I'm liking the FMJ dangerous game shaft as well as the Goldtip .200 big game shaft. There's an outfitter in Australia that's making a new buffalo shaft. Should be available anytime now. I'll pm you the details when I hear about it. I'm gonna wait for this shaft to be available before I pick an arrow to use. Good luck

27-Feb-15
PM sent

27-Feb-15
Thanks Matt & bow only

27-Feb-15
I used an 82# Morrison ilf longbow and used arrows that were 850 grains and 925 grains depending which tip I used. The guide was using the same shaft, but I am not sure how much weight he had up front. Probably a good bit less. I was using GT kinetic 200 shafts with 100 grain brass inserts, 125 grain broadhead adapters, and 225 grain or 300 grain tuffhead broadheads, but to different lengths to match the spine. I thinks they were 30 and 30 1/2 inches respectively. The guide was using vpa broadheads. Very good shafts. Used a 2013 shaft to foot the tip to match up with broadhead ferrule diameter. better and strengthen the tip. They worked well.

27-Feb-15
I hunt pronghorns with 500 grain arrows i wouldnt be slinging them at something that would or could stomp me.

28-Feb-15

Moose2367's Link
I would suggest min 650gn arrow, with a high FOC and solid 2 blade broadhead.

The Oz made Outback Supreme FE 220gn are great, solid and long profile.

Don't be afraid of a front on shot either, if they are onto you, they will raise their head and come closer to investigate.

Here's one that I filmed while guiding a few years ago, he came to about 4 metres. He is looking back at another guide and hunter who passed him up, as he had a broken right horn.

01-Mar-15
http://adventurousbowhunter.com/2012/10/08/from-the-field-water-buffalo-anatomy-shot-placement-part-1/

Put some thought into a good Broadhead, thats what lets the most hunters down on Big Game. 550grs and up is a good arrow weight.

01-Mar-15
Thanks for the input. As far as the antelope thing, that's funny, I've shot brown bears with my typical 400 grain set up at 70 pounds, as well as a 1/2 dz moose! Shot a 525 grain set up yesterday that shot really well, may slide a length of weedeater cord in it today and see what it does

01-Mar-15
Frank, if you want to call me I will tell you the story of our mutual friend that used a 560gr arrow........... it didn't work out well.

800 to 900gr is the sweet spot. If you use arrow tubes or weedwhacker cord be sure to epoxy it in there or you blow out your inserts and noks Bruce

02-Mar-15

Pete_H's Link
XX75 2419 is old-school but DAMN effective. If I were in the US and in your quandry I'd buy these right away:

02-Mar-15
I'll call you Bruce

• Sitka Gear