No Bark 13-Mar-15
NvaGvUp 13-Mar-15
No Bark 13-Mar-15
NvaGvUp 13-Mar-15
Franzen 13-Mar-15
NvaGvUp 13-Mar-15
Owl 13-Mar-15
13-Mar-15
I attended the WA WSF banquet last Saturday near Seattle. At the end of the evening, they drew for a Desert Bighorn Sheep hunt in Texas.

You had to be a Life Member of the chapter and you had to be present to win. That was it. You got one ticket in the bin if you met those two requirements. You could donate in advance to help underwrite the cost if you wanted to, but you could not buy a ticket.

When they drew, the winner was a fellow WSF director who immediately went up on stage and after a brief confab with a couple of the chapter's leaders, the emcee announced he'd donated the hunt back! His only request was they figure out a way to use the hunt for a young hunter or for someone who's not yet hunted sheep.

So back to the chapter it goes, to be used again next year at the WA WSF banquet!

Simply amazing!

13-Mar-15
Wow that is great. Sounds like a good guy.

13-Mar-15
Much respect and admiration to that fine gentlemen!!!

13-Mar-15
Kyle, I heard something about a "fire"ring generating a whole bunch of money too!

13-Mar-15
Wow. There's only 1 or 2 tags annually in Texas. He honestly just gave someone one of the rarest tags that exists. Amazing generosity indeed!

13-Mar-15
Paying it on forward....in a big way!

Very nice!

Mark

13-Mar-15
Def fantastic to hear off the great guy's generosity!...a TX DESERT tag is a very special tag...TX DBS are in a class by themselves!...just wondering will a young hunter or a new sheep hunter realize just how coveted this tag really is??

13-Mar-15
Kyle, that is a great story. Thanks for sharing. That is my dream tag to have a desert BH tag here in my home state. Those tags typically sell at action for 75-100K. Lenny

13-Mar-15
Yep usually $75k min for BIG Texas Deserts!!...I could of had a TX DBS tag a few years back on a new ranch in the TX DBS hunt/tag program for $45k!!...but had to decline since I didn't have the spare $45k funds sitting in my checking account.

13-Mar-15
Jim,

No kidding on the fire pit!

My notes show it first sold for $14,000.

It was donated back and the same guy bought it again for $6,000.

Then he donated it back yet again and it was sold and re-sold three more times for $5,000, $5,000, and $4,000!

WSF people are awesome!

13-Mar-15
Nothing short of AMAZING!

13-Mar-15
Charlie,

For sure! This is simply a very nice metal fire pit with the WA WSF logo on it that was made by the students of one of their directors who's a teacher. $34,000! WOW!

One other very cool thing is that every auction item they had was either 100% donated or 100% underwritten! I've never seen that anywhere before.

13-Mar-15
It wasn't that the fire pit was that awesome (it really was pretty awesome) but you had several people who came to the event wanting to do what they could to support a great cause and it just kind of spilled out all over that item! So cool to see and You know the instructor who's kid donated it has an awesome story to tell the kids back in class.

Boy, Nva, that underwriting in and of itself was quite an accomplishment. Everything down to the smallest raffle or silent auction item was already covered.

Good times, good people. The WA team 'get's it'

13-Mar-15
Jim,

Great point about how excited Glen's students must have been when he told them how much money their work and dedication raised for conservation.

You can almost hear their cheering and feel their excitement when he told them about that Monday.

13-Mar-15
Imagine what $34,000 sounds like to a 16 year old kid in a small rural school!

13-Mar-15
Jim,

Think about all the lessons that are there for these kids.

"You can make a difference."

"The generosity of good people."

"Hunters are the people who really support conservation."

"Look what you've accomplished for WA wildlife."

13-Mar-15
Great gesture! I am available to make a trip to Texas next year fyi... but if there is a kid with a passion to hunt sheep who can handle this type of hunt, send it there 1st.

13-Mar-15
LOL, Corey.

The WA WSF chapter has a written policy on this raffle item that reads:

"Since many Life Members and other members of WA WSF have donated money to help purchase the hunt, the winner of the Desert sheep hunt cannot sell, trade, or exchange the hunt as it is contrary to the spirit of giving by those who donated to help purchase the hunt."

By donating the hunt back to the chapter, it's very obvious the donor was neither selling, trading nor exchanging the hunt.

Indeed, by giving it back to the chapter, he both epitomized and celebrated the spirit of those WA WSF members who donated to help buy the hunt he won.

13-Mar-15
Though not so heavily leveraged, this happens quite a bit with VA's Hunters For The Hungry organization.

Bottom to Top, hunters are cut from a most generous cloth.

• Sitka Gear