Bill in MI 22-Mar-15
bigeasygator 23-Mar-15
IdyllwildArcher 23-Mar-15
sticksender 23-Mar-15
Norseman 23-Mar-15
Muley 23-Mar-15
Horniac 27-Mar-15
18-Mar-15
Now that the 2015 NM application period is closed....who still applied for Sheep and/or exotics this year as a NR? With the very small tag allocation in place now for NR's, just curious as to how many guys are still hanging in there? Guided draw or unguided?

With the extremely high up-front cost and pee-poor odds, I originally thought I wouldn't even bother to apply. Which would be the first time in the past 10 years that I'd lay out of their Sheep draw.

After procrastinating all the way up to Monday of this week, I finally forked over the money and applied for bighorn sheep and archery Ibex. As a first for me, I contracted with an outfitter. That goes against my normal preferences, but the odds in the unguided draw I think will be very poor. The odds probably won't be a whole lot better in the guided draw. But if you really "need" a DBH, you gotta try!

Who else?

18-Mar-15
I did put n for ibex unguided. As well as Barbary

18-Mar-15
I bailed on new mexico after they bailed on N.R.s last year. Good question though sticksender, I've been curious to see how this years draw would be affected by last years shenanigans. There were 2700 unguided non-res fighting over 1 ewe tag & 500 outfitter attached competing for 1 ewe permit and 2 ram permits in 2014. We'll see how this years numbers compare.

18-Mar-15
I bailed on sheep this year. 16a, 16B, 34 all first hunt archery elk this year.

18-Mar-15
It's going to be interesting to see how many NRs jump out after the change.

Even with the odds changes, I bet more people would get in if you didn't have to loan NM $3100 for a month-and-a-half for such poor odds. I still don't understand why they charge so much for the tag. Pretty much every other state is 1/2 that give or take.

18-Mar-15
I applied for archery

18-Mar-15
sticksender, I want to be notified of how your sheep hunt turns out this year also.

18-Mar-15
applied guided sheep, ibex, and Barbary. Just a loan to NM for most. You will either be the luckiest hunter out there or you'll get your dough back.

18-Mar-15
Oh I missed it.

18-Mar-15
flyingbrass, I sure will !

Idyllwild, not sure about the history of the high NR tag price, but I wonder if they originally jacked it up to discourage NR's from applying, after the court ruling that forced them to put all sheep applicants in one draw pool.

18-Mar-15
I passed this year. I have two elk tags already and a shot at AZ is more than enough.

19-Mar-15
Bigdan, I bet you're kicking yourself.

19-Mar-15
Elk in the top units of course and January deer as well. Not holding my breath but someone has to win.

19-Mar-15
Valles Caldera Elk!

19-Mar-15
I did not. I will send my money elsewhere. I am sure they won't miss it.

19-Mar-15
I put in for Sheep and Coues Deer.

19-Mar-15
I anteed up for elk.

19-Mar-15
Elk, ibex (female/immature), sheep, no oryx (drew).

19-Mar-15
I chose not to loan New Mexico any of my money this year! First time in a while, just still have a bad taste from last year.

19-Mar-15
I also did not apply for sheep, ibex, or elk in NM this year. First time I haven't for over 10 yrs. Kinda pissed off at their attitude toward DIY nonresidents.

19-Mar-15
I am in for BH's...

19-Mar-15
Applied for elk....but passed on sheep.

19-Mar-15
I put in for Elk. I don't like loaning NM my money but it's a small price to pay in hopes of going back someday. I haven't drawn in years but I still play and hope I'll make it back before I'm too old or dead. It's my favorite place to chase elk.

19-Mar-15
I'm in for elk. Thanks for the info, Idyll!

19-Mar-15
Oryx guided if draw

19-Mar-15
NP Will, was wondering if you ended up getting your app in. If you draw in the unit I was putting in for and I don't, it will, of course, have been my tag!

I'm in for elk and deer.

Never put in for sheep in NM even before the change. Partly the money, partly the principle behind what I consider to be an excessive charge by the govt.

19-Mar-15
NM has been pretty good to me. Desert Sheep 2 years ago and Oryx 2 years before that. Figure I got to try for Ibex now.

19-Mar-15
Im in for Elk as a DIY NR. Someone's got to draw

19-Mar-15
I applied for outfitted DBS and RBS.

19-Mar-15
No. the 6% cap is harsh.

19-Mar-15
My boy is getting my elk hunt this year. He is in for VC lottery, youth elk in 17, 16e and 34 as well as yoot Ibex. If no draw, we will partner on a late season cow hunt somewhere that promises a target rich environment....

Good luck to all!

19-Mar-15
The allocation this year is better than last for NR. Even last year with all the drama after the court decision the Game Dept still "bent" the rules to give out two NR tags. Its not nearly as good for non-residents as it was a few years ago, but I don't think it'll be worse than several other states people apply for every year.

19-Mar-15
I am in for elk but dropped NM sheep. I would love to go on an Ibex hunt some day.

19-Mar-15
Im in for my first bowhunt just got to play this waiting game now. Good luck to everyone who applie.

20-Mar-15
Im in for my first bowhunt just got to play this waiting game now. Good luck to everyone who applie.

20-Mar-15

20-Mar-15

20-Mar-15
D-Ram and bow bull on the VC.

Good luck, Robb

20-Mar-15
Applied for elk. First time I have tried N.M. How do they issue their refunds?

20-Mar-15
As much fun as I think sheep hunting would be, there is no way I could afford $3,000+ for a tag. It's not even close to being in my budget.

I did put in the outfitter pool for elk with my first two choices being long shots and relatively decent odds for my 3rd choice. If I draw, I'll go DIY and have just as much fun as a sheep hunt for 20% of the cost.

20-Mar-15
patdel, they will refund your credit card.

20-Mar-15
NoWiser, I'm sure you meant DIY after your two days with the Outfitter...

"Any applicant who receives a valid license by applying with a New Mexico Outfitter’s number, must be accompanied in the field by that outfitter or their registered guide for at least two days. Those who apply using an outfitter’s number and choose to hunt on their own may be prosecuted for hunting without a valid license."

20-Mar-15
Brijake,

He'll spend a night in camp with us but will not hunt with us at all. You don't have to spend two full days with the outfitter to meet the requirements, just a part of two days. 11:59 pm to 12:01 am would be legal.

20-Mar-15
NoWiser,

I know, I was just havin' a little fun with you!! Hope you draw, the moisture so far has been good.

20-Mar-15
There's a lot of NM outfitters now that are charging $300-$500 just to help your draw odds with little to no actual guiding involved. I'm sure they could make extra money just driving around to camps to meet the minimum requirement and not have to do any actual guiding.

22-Mar-15
I'm in - I doubled down on the outfitted pool just like Sticksender for Deserts and Rockies. Odds of over 1 or 2 in 2700+ didn't get me excited for a $3300 upfront fee. When I looked at guided at approx 2 or 3 in 500 I figured the increase in odds was worth the price of a guided pool application. Since they had my credit card # I did unguided for Ibex, Oryx and thought what heck Antelope as well. All in 5-10% odds range.

Good luck to all.

Sandbrew

22-Mar-15
Elk - Valles Caldera lottery and Unguided State Draw

Deer - Unguided January 2B

Oryx

Stayed out of the Sheep draw this year... :(

CD

22-Mar-15
Valles Caldera and Unguided early elk. If I draw, it'll pair with my AZ elk tag for an epic back to back trip

23-Mar-15
I've applied for the last five years for sheep and oryx. Not this year after last year's changes. Unless the odds look good, I'm ok with not giving NM my money. Decided not to put in for elk and deer either because of it (though a landowner tag is in my backup plans).

Curious to see what happens to the draw odds and applications.

23-Mar-15
Anyone have last year's date that the hunting lic refund backdoor worked?

23-Mar-15
I have it in my notes as 4/18/2014.

23-Mar-15
i'm in for elk. fingers crossed!!!

23-Mar-15
Put in for elk at the last minute. Fingers crossed.

27-Mar-15
After applying for NR sheep for the last 14 years I bailed on applying this year. Not worth the time, effort, and money to find an outfitter to contract with for the draw for such horrible draw odds IMO. I did apply with an outfitter for Oryx starting last year but passed on Ibex. Elk as well but applied for a deer tag in the unguided pool...

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

• Sitka Gear