njbuck 26-Mar-15
chasin bugles 26-Mar-15
MATHEWSSHOOTER 26-Mar-15
chasin bugles 26-Mar-15
chasin bugles 26-Mar-15
hunt'n addict 26-Mar-15
gridlebug 26-Mar-15
25-Mar-15
Anybody have insight on hunting the august archery season versus the later seasons? I've applied for rifle tags in the past, but am starting to take a closer look at some of the units with august tags. Thx.

25-Mar-15
What type of insight you looking for. Tags are limited to the point that pressure really isn't a big issue. Its HOT in Aug. Some of the archery tags have lower drawing odds and obviously lower success rates. I know a few guys that hve drawn rifle tags and killed rams with archery gear. The rifle guys kill out in a short time and they ended up with a unit to themselves. Sheep tend to be in the same areas as they'd be during first rifle. If I was a NR, I'd apply for tags with the best odds and hunt with my bow. Good luck!

25-Mar-15
Archery tag odds are considerably better than rifle. It can be hit or miss on a given unit.

It is still hunting. I've been 17 yards from a full curl ram with dad at full draw (both had licenses)and no sheep... Yet it is one of the best hunts a guy can do.

My dad is applying for his 5th Colorado Ram license, I am hoping my 4th is a Desert Sheep (like everyone else applying I guess).

25-Mar-15
Is a CO sheep a difficult hunt without an outfitter if you are in good shape and have done your homework? I mean I can see the locations of the previous successful hunters, and it appears that some of the sheep generally come from the same area. I have applied for about 10 years and Ifni were to draw a tag I would like to do it myself if possible.

25-Mar-15
I'm committed to do the hunt with a bow - regardless of the tag method. I've always enjoyed being in the mountains during september and october for hunting season, but started looking at the odds for the archery tags... after 12 years of applying I thought to myself, maybe I could draw a bow tag sooner than the rifle tag I've been applying for. Then I looked at the season dates and thought to myself, August? Hot, Bugs & Lightning.

So I guess I was looking for people's general experience while hunting the early season. I know any sheep tag is a good tag, but it might be worth a few more years wait if i'm only gonna get one crack at this, and make sure I get it right.

Thanks - DH

26-Mar-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I killed this ram in 1997, mid September 11,000ft. Weather ok, some wind, some hail, no bugs. yes, some lightning.

That is hunting at or about tree line.

The 5 rams were all together. That

year as a resident, it took 6PP. There were more sheep in the unit than there is now.

My best, Paul

26-Mar-15
I apply for archery only season but only becasue of the increased draw odds. I've been applying for 14 years. No tag yet.

Aaron

26-Mar-15
I had pretty much all types of weather on my bow S32 Ram hunt.

Most memorable was being caught out above timberline and a thunderstorm came out of no where and I had wind, lightening and HUGE hail---pound me for about 2-3 minutes then it was gone....

Good luck, Robb

26-Mar-15
It is funny, most hunters think that the tough part is drawing the tag- that is until they have hunted Bighorns. They can be fairly easy to get onto sometimes, however generally speaking they can also be one of the toughest animals to harvest.

My advice to anyone bowhunting them is to take any ram over 150" class if you have an ethical shot.

If you hold out for a large ram with a bow, you may be dissappointed.

26-Mar-15

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
hunt'n addict, A DIY hunt is always doable but your odds go up substancially if using a good guide that knows the area. With a guide you have someone to help glass and locate the Sheep and then knows the best route to get to them. This can be learned on your own but it takes time with boots on the ground in the area.

I did my Ram on my own without any help but I was a resident which helped a lot. It still took me 88 days of hunting (not including scouting days) and 4 tags over a 13 year period. In the end I could have shot Rams every time I had a tag but I was holding out for a Full Curl or really heavy horn 3/4.

I have helped a few people over the years and it is much more successful with 2 or more people helping.

26-Mar-15
Rock, thanks for the response. The area I have been applying for I have hunted deer with an outfitter so I have limited knowledge of the landscape. We never saw any sheep (some droppings though), but when I looked at the harvest reports it appears they are taking the sheep right in the general area I have hunted deer.

26-Mar-15
Congrats to you guys! I hope that I live long enough to draw the Colorado tag and then I hope I can still make it up the mountains!

26-Mar-15
For a NR the big challenge is that at best, you might draw one ram tag in your lifetime...and that'll take some luck. Consider carefully what you apply for and then, if drawn, how you go about the hunt. If I drew a ram tag in a unit that I was extremely familiar with, I might do the hunt on my own. As long as I had the full season to hunt, and could be out there every single day from dawn to dusk. Remember, you'll probably only ever get one of these tags, so treat it like gold!

Numerous NR's who luck out and draw an archery ram tag will go DIY but some find themselves in over their head. Maybe due to a lack of sheep hunting experience, a lack of scouting, a lack of time of time allocation, inadequate mental toughness, or other reasons. A lot of great tags go unfilled every year, as indicated by the overall 25% success rate on archery rams. For sure it is one of the toughest bow-hunts in North America, and the hunt it's not just about killing one. Bowhunting sheep can be rewarding, just be sure to know what you're getting into, and good luck in the draw!

26-Mar-15
I was one of the 5 non resident archers to draw an archery tag 5 years ago. I had a great time but unfortunately never got to draw my bow. It takes a TON of luck to draw the tag but once you over come those odds, you still have to be able to physically make it happen. I agree with most of what was said on this thread. Unless you are tons of time to scout and know the unit like the back of your hand, I think it would be foolish to not use a guide to help out. As others have said, you will probably only draw one of these tags in your life time as a non resident so you need to put the odds in your favor. I also agree with Mathewsman, everyone who draws the tag has dreams of putting down a big heavy full curl but in all reality with a bow, if a legal ram comes in range you should be ready to shoot him.

26-Mar-15
Of the 34 rams killed with a bow statewide over the last 2 years, only 6 were outfitted. Better yet, almost half of the 28 DIY rams were 7/8 curl or better. Absolutely you can D.I.Y. in CO, just gotta want it bad enough! And congrats Rock & Paul, those are great rams!

26-Mar-15
34 archery kills sounds high ?

26-Mar-15
Does, doesnt it? 22 of them last year alone. Though quality was down a bit from 2013.

26-Mar-15
Does, doesnt it? 22 of them last year alone. Though quality was down a bit from 2013.

26-Mar-15
Thanks for your input guys. This is why Bowsite is great. Now I just need to be blessed and draw a tag one of these years.

26-Mar-15
thanks for the replies everyone - I think I'm gonna stay the course and try for the rifle tag in the unit I've been applying to in the past and hunt sept & oct IF I ever draw. Maybe as a resident, if I draw that tag, I might go after one of the archery tags!

• Sitka Gear