Gonzo 01-Apr-15
writer 01-Apr-15
steve 01-Apr-15
longbeard 01-Apr-15
Thornton 01-Apr-15
t-roy 02-Apr-15
tobinsghost 03-Apr-15
30-Mar-15
This may be a dumb question, but as I was sitting in my blind practice shooting for the upcoming season I had a thought.. Why dont us bow hunters hunt from the stand? When I'm white-tail hunting, gobblers come by me all the time and Ive never really been caught by them. I have drawn back on them without them even knowing I was there. Anybody else ever thought of doing this?

30-Mar-15
There was an story in one of the bow hunting magazines a few years ago, and the hunter did just that.

They made a point of placing the stand behind the tree, sort of a blind, and then shot around the side of the tree, and not in front of it.

I am sure some are still doing just that.

eye to eye and from the ground seems like the most accepted way especially if one likes to change locations quickly.

My best, Paul

30-Mar-15
Not me ! I've been hunting Virginia's turkeys for some 35 plus years. ( spring gobbler) I've consistently had fall turkeys pick me out in a tree. Even when I hear them heading my way and remaining motionless before they appear, they still become uneasy. No possible way to get a good draw on these Easterns in a treestand that frequent this area. Good Luck is all I can say.

30-Mar-15
I dont know If I'll try it I prefer hunting from a ground blind like most others. The birds around me must be more dumb than I thought! haha I may try one of those Heads Up bow mounted decoys though!

30-Mar-15
Turkeys here in Cali have always picked me off from a deer stand and vacated the area quick. They usually see me before I see them.. They're always looking up for danger. Even if they didn't I rather hint them from the ground.

30-Mar-15
I've seen people on the outdoor channel shoot them from the stand while they were deer hunting. I guess it just depends on the birds in your area. I would definitely shoot one from a stand during the fall season.

30-Mar-15
You also unnecessarily increase the shot distance and likely give yourself a poorer angle by being elevated.

30-Mar-15
That's true. Ive been hunting turkey out of a blind since I was 12 so I guess I should stick to what I know lol. If you put a good shot on one from a tree you might pin it to the ground though! It wouldn't be able to fly away haha! Just out of curiosity, what is everyones biggest Tom? Weight/Beard length/Spurs?

30-Mar-15
Works fine in MN and SD....

Mark

30-Mar-15

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I usually just hunt from the truck !

30-Mar-15
Most Kansas birds will bust you from a tree.

Also, if you're calling they're going to be coming in more alert, and I'm pretty sure they'll be looking up since that's where the sounds have come from.

31-Mar-15
Pat that's awesome! and Mark Im from MN and I agree, the birds don't spot me much at all in the tree!

31-Mar-15
I think it depends on the tree. I used to hunt a cluster of basswoood trees and nothing ever picked me up from that stand and it was the only stand I ever got a shot off at a group of 3 toms in the fall.

31-Mar-15
I've killed one turkey from a treestand in NYS. It was a big fall flock. While the front of the flock spotted me and beat feet, the back of the flock weren't even in sight of me yet. I drew my bow and another 15 or so came running in and stopped at 15 yards wondering what spooked the front birds. Pinned one to the ground.

I have ruined two other arrows on birds by missing. Overall though, its really difficult to have the right circumstances in place, otherwise the birds spot you 100 yards away!

>>>-------->

31-Mar-15
I heard that they keep an eye out for hawks so they are constantly awake of what's above them. I've had a redtail hawk to attack a decoy in one of my set ups so I will buy that theory.

31-Mar-15
I've shot several turkeys from tree stands during deer season in Kansas. Most of the time they see me and don't come anywhere close. We have lots of turkeys in our area so I get lots of opportunities to watch them. It seems to help if I see them coming a long ways out and so can remain VERY still and then try to draw when they are behind a tree or something. Obviously this works better with singles or very small group. The other scenario that has been successful is when they are coming off the roost in the morning and landing close to my stand. I have on one or two occasions actually drawn my bow while they were still in the air and then shot as they came to a stop on their landing "Run".

31-Mar-15
If you move at all, Eastern's will bust you from a tree stand. The only one I shot from a treestand walked behind a large oak which gave me a chance to stand and draw.

31-Mar-15
Check your state's regs. Can't do it in Michigan.

31-Mar-15
I have shot a couple of turkeys from a tree stand in the fall while deer hunting. That being said I would never climb into a tree stand to hunt turkeys. They are very aware of danger from above and this is in Kansas where our turkeys are not the toughest birds to hunt. It much easier to hunt from the ground. A ground blind is much more effective.

31-Mar-15
I'm sure its possible, but easterns are very, very wary....at least in our area. Now if they were southern birds, I'm sure it would be completely impossible ;)

31-Mar-15
My experience is similar to others above on Eastern birds. I think they can see your breath when it's cold out and maybe just see you breathing when it isn't that cold. Many times I have had them coming toward me to about 30-40 yards and then the 6th sense kicks in. I won't shoot that far. I did put a tag on one hen several years ago.

01-Apr-15
I shot my Turkey last spring from my deer stand... Eastern... My preferred method actually...

01-Apr-15
Of course it's your preferred method, you've shot one bird and that's how you got it.

I want to be on the ground, at eye-level, and the bird under 10yards.

01-Apr-15
I have shot them from my stand in the fall out east and let lots go by I don't see why not .Steve

01-Apr-15
I did it 2 x the same way Curvebow did it...very lucky I guess...all other times I've tried it I was busted way before I could even get my bow in my hand or trying to draw...it usually takes a "perfect storm" if you will, to get it done in a tree

01-Apr-15
I shot my first turkey out of a deer tower that just happened to be near their roost. Shot my first fall hen out of an open lock on stand. My experience is they see you sooner out of a stand here in KS

02-Apr-15
I've killed a few from a tree stand in the fall while deer hunting, but usually get picked off before they get close enough to shoot at.

03-Apr-15
WWTBMD??

• Sitka Gear