chasintheslam 04-Apr-15
Turk 04-Apr-15
Wholaverj 04-Apr-15
chasintheslam 04-Apr-15
Pete In Fairbanks 04-Apr-15
chasintheslam 04-Apr-15
writer 04-Apr-15
04-Apr-15
Im heading to Tennessee next weekend to turkey hunt if im successful what is the best way to get the tan, beard, spurs and meat home? and if I shipped what kinda prices did you spend if shipped your stuff

04-Apr-15
I have brought caped birds back with me in a carry on bag the few times that I have flown to hunts.

04-Apr-15
Last April, I brought an entire frozen Rio Grande gobbler back to PA from Texas inside of a carry on bag flying American Airlines.

04-Apr-15
freeze, bag it and pack it?

04-Apr-15
Whatever way you temporarily preserve it (freeze, borax, salt) here is my tip for transport.

I gather up the fan and roll it in some papertowels and then newspaper. Then slip rubber bands around each end. It is now essentially a cylinder.

Place that paper wrapped cylinder in a long, narrow Tupperware type container. That will protect the feathers from being bent or broken.

Since the only place we have to "hunt" turkeys here is in the frozen meat section at Safeway, I have to do all my real turkey hunting far, far away. I just follow the plan above and slip that container into my checked luggage, normally a duffle bag. It flies for 15-25 hours to get here and is always in perfect shape.

Pete

04-Apr-15
thank you pete

04-Apr-15
We froze many, folded thick cardboard over the fozen fan and put them in our luggage when my kids were working on their grand slams.

Never a problem.

• Sitka Gear